PDA

View Full Version : AvB - Sion

Rizban
2010-06-03, 06:32 PM
You note that the man wears the uniform of the City Guard and is reclined in a chair with his feet on the desk. He nonchalantly cleans dirt from his fingernails with a knife. A moment passes after you speak before he reacts.

Giving you a quick once over, he says, "I might be. I might not be. The real question is, are you indeed a true professional or merely an amateur playing at greatness?"

The-Mage-King
2010-06-03, 06:43 PM
"A real professional. I've got some experience under my belt, with a nearly perfect mission record." Sion replies. "I specialize in quiet jobs, though. Clanking around isn't my style."

Rizban
2010-06-03, 06:50 PM
"Indeed. Perhaps I do have some trash in need of removal. There is a certain man I wish to see die; however, he is quite constantly surrounded by guards. Quite a number of guards. More than even a 'professional' such as yourself can handle, I would think.

If you wish to try, then that is up to you; however, I have a few more... menial tasks if you want to... start small."

He chuckles a bit to himself.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-03, 06:51 PM
"Alright, then. Give me a name, a place, and expected resistance, and I'll see what I can do."

Rizban
2010-06-03, 07:08 PM
"Marcell Herrman, the City Guard's local office on Eschenheimer and Schneider Street, thirty or more of the Guard."

The-Mage-King
2010-06-03, 07:21 PM
Sion whistles.

"What resources do I get to help with the job, and how much does it pay?"

Rizban
2010-06-03, 07:27 PM
"Didn't think you'd be up for that. I tell you what, why don't you work a few lesser jobs until you're up for that. Eliminate some of his supporters.

Lieutenant Marc Kalb, for instance, is one of his closest supporters. You eliminate him, and you'll cripple Marcell for awhile. That might give you the opportunity to move in. After that, you'll just have to find your own way to get to him.

I tell you what, any of his supporters you eliminate or discredit, I'll pay you for. Any you can convert against him without killing, I'll pay you double. The amount will be based on their rank and amount of influence. Keep in mind that he has support outside the City Guard too."

The-Mage-King
2010-06-03, 07:33 PM
"Hm... Where is this Lieutenant? How much is he worth? And do you have any other special requests for people? Like, say, having his replacement be given a warning?"

Rizban
2010-06-03, 07:34 PM
"Don't worry about his replacement. His conversion is almost impossible, but his death would probably be worth, say... 1000 gold?"

The-Mage-King
2010-06-03, 07:53 PM
"Location and possible resources to aid in his... elimination?"

Rizban
2010-06-03, 08:38 PM
"You'll find him in the same place, though I don't know much more about him. I sure he has to leave at some point.

I also don't pay people before a job is complete, or I'd be paying most of them for accomplishing nothing at all."

The-Mage-King
2010-06-03, 08:43 PM
"Understandable, but having, say, the proper uniform would make it that much easier. I'll get to work on this immediately, if that's all you want." Sion says, reaching for the door and preparing to step outside.

Rizban
2010-06-03, 09:53 PM
"If you want a uniform, you can always fill out an application. It shouldn't be too hard to get in."

He then stands and exits through a back door which blends seamlessly into the wall.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-03, 10:00 PM
Sion quietly exits, moving through the tavern and out to the street, towards the guard by the gate.

"Greetings, officer." He says as he nears the human. "I'm wondering where I would go to apply to join the guard."

Rizban
2010-06-03, 11:57 PM
The guard looks you up and down.

"Really now? So, you want to join the guard, get steady work and steady pay, huh? I'm not sure you're cut out for it, but that's not my decision. I tell you what, you head on north here 'til you reach Ezekiel's Supplies, then you just turn right onto Eschenheimer. Keep on going, and you should reach the Guard headquarters for the district just before the next road. Ask there, and they might just let you join. Just, uh, if you want to decent shot, don't mention I'm the one what sent you there."

The-Mage-King
2010-06-04, 08:28 AM
"Thank you." Sion replies, turning and following the directions as given.

Rizban
2010-06-04, 11:08 AM
You arrive at the address. The building is large and made of stone. It appears to be designed to function as a small redoubt should the need arise, but it shows no signs of ever having been attacked. It does seem like it would be fairly well defensible. There are no windows on the ground floor, and crenelations adorn the walls along the roof.

Other than the occasional guard or two entering or exiting the building, you see nothing else of note.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-04, 12:26 PM
Walking up to the building, Sion looks around briefly, before turning towards the nearest guard.

"Excuse me, but where would I go to apply to join the guard?" He asks, doing his best to sound like an upstanding citizen wanting to help the society.

Rizban
2010-06-04, 12:48 PM
"Uh, inside. There's a form in the office. You can read, right? Cause, we don't take no one what can't read."

He points to the door.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-04, 12:52 PM
"Thank you." Sion says, turning and heading inside, picking up a form, filling it out, and turning it in.

Rizban
2010-06-04, 02:53 PM
A few days of light training later, you and the rest of your training class are welcomed as official guards after a simple interview.

You are given a suit of studded leather armor, a longsword, and a pair of manacles with a simple lock. Captain Marcell personally welcomes you to the guard at your commissioning while the nearby guards watch.

"You have some fine potential in you. I can see that clearly. You work hard and keep your nose clean, and I think you may be in the running for my job in a few years."

He shakes your hand and moves on to welcoming the other new guards, never suspecting your true intentions. You made friends with a few career guards during the past few days, including Gebhard, Jochem, Meinard. Gebhard and Jochem seem to be fairly upstanding guards, but Meinard is constantly complaining about unfair treatment and a desire for change.

You encounter Lieutenant Marc Kalb as well, indeed he is your direct superior officer. He has taken particular note of your abilities and has taken it upon himself to be the senior guard who accompanies you on your first day of real work. The two of you are out patrolling on Raine's Road, heading east off of Mastiff's, with no set route in mind. He has been trying to further explain to you the duties and responsibilities of the Guard in this part of town.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-04, 06:39 PM
Upon waking the day of his first real patrol, Sion double checks his gear- the rapier on hip, beneath the longsword that was given to him, and puts on his chain shirt, confirming that his hidden blade is, in fact, hidden beneath his sleeve.

Then he focuses his willpower, drawing upon his inner psychic potental and placing himself in a state that allows him to act at his best.

Finally, he slides his poisons out of his boots, puts on said boots, slings his quiver and bow across his back, and slips his poison into his left sleeve.

If all goes as planned, the mission will be a success, with no one the wiser about it's real perpatrator.

To outline what I was planning to do at the first opportunity after getting hired, it involved going out disguised as a vastly different person, finding someone who looks like they know the street and where people on the shady side could be found, say '5 gold if you tell me where I can find people with a grudge against Marc Kalb', then going and the people with said grudge that I happen to know where he's going to be on (insert day here), and that I know for a fact that the person who will be with him is incompetent and/or not that fond of him himself.

Leading to the part of the plan where they attack us, I let Kalb be worn down by the angry people, then after we fight them off, backstab for the kill, and quietly remove anything that might be of worth to a safer location, before returning to base, wounded, his body on my back, and claim that the Lieutenant and I were attacked by some people who yelled something about 'orange'.

But if you want that stage to go on in the background, that's fine too. :smallbiggrin:

Rizban
2010-06-04, 11:20 PM
Just assume most of that went on in the background. I'm giving you several days in the interim to set things up. Just sum up what you did over say... 3 days when you weren't in training. The morning of the 4th day is when you were sent out on patrol, but you didn't know WHO was going to be the senior Guard assigned to you until you arrived that morning.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-06, 08:33 PM
Alright... I searched for people with a grudge against Marc Kalb, if/when I found some, said that I'm willing to help them get rid of him for a price, that I have a contact in the guard who might be able to get information on where he'll be within the month, and that I'll give them information on his wherabouts when the month is over. Thinking it over, trying to kill him within my first week wouldn't be a good plan, so I'll wait until after they're fairly sure of my loyalty to do the deed quietly.

So... I'll wait a month, getting scheduled routes and patrols while doing carrying out the guardsman's duties that I'm assigned. Play it safe, play it smart, and gather intel before acting.

Rizban
2010-06-06, 08:37 PM
Ok, well, give me a bit to flesh out the City Guard some so that I can get this properly established for you. I should have it ready in a day or two.

I've got most people on hold right now, because Watchman disappeared again, and I had some questions for him... not to mention all the players he is supposed to be DMing.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-06, 08:40 PM
Alright, then.

Rizban
2010-06-06, 08:42 PM
Sorry about the hold up, but if he doesn't come back by tomorrow evening, then I'm probably going to have to find another DM. I can't do all the threads for everyone myself. I certainly can't DM my own characters. That would be neither fair nor fun.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 10:21 PM
((Sorry about the delay... I really needed time to flesh out the city and get things placed... It's not finished yet (will it ever be?) but it's actualyl to a point where we can continue your story.))

You spend quite some time walking the beats of Merchant's Quarter, but you've unfortunately not had much of an opportunity to deal with that many people in the Guard. Each district has its own garrison, and you've had no dealing with any other garrison.

You learn that during the day, each beat is covered by a single guard, but each beat overlaps with at least two others, and the guards from overlapping beats check in on each other from time to time. At night, each beat is patrolled by two guards working in tandem to watch one another's backs; however, the city is rather quite at night, so the rounds are walked less frequently.

You have become quite familiar with the local part of Merchant's Quarter though.

In the course of the month, you earn 2gp per week, slightly higher than average due to your obvious skill. It won't be long before you manage to earn a promotion. You earn a total of 7gp in the 4 weeks of work, because you didn't get the second gp raise until after the first week.

Merchant's Quarter Map:http://www.mornproductions.com/images/AvB/w6jrnhysjgf.png

Blank spots are places you've either not visited on the job or aren't actually created yet... Note that this is only a portion of the larger map.

Also, the road between Schneider and Steinbacher got cut off, but it's called "Sellers' Row."

Rizban
2010-06-09, 10:25 PM
Gebhard, Jochem, Meinard have continued to be close friends, and you have spent a bit of time with them lately outside of work.

Meinard has never ceased his complaining about pulling all the bad shifts, and he has yet to receive a raise or positive recommendation. Today at work, you notice that he is walking with more confidence than usual and is wearing a small golden ring on the little finger of his left hand.

Rizban
2010-06-15, 03:19 PM
Just realized I didn't mention this earlier, but you receive 500xp as a story award for infiltrating the City Guard.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-15, 03:23 PM
As he walks into work that day, Sion notes Meinard's new adornment, and turns to speak with him.

"'morning, Meinard." He says, appraising his coworker. "What's with the ring?"

Rizban
2010-06-15, 03:35 PM
He quickly sticks his hand in his pocket.
"N... nothing. It's just a uh... club. I can't talk about it, you know?

Look, I've got to go..."

He walks away, and as he passes you, he whispers.

"I'll tell you tonight, alone."

The-Mage-King
2010-06-15, 03:51 PM
Sion nods, and continuees on is way.

I go about my business for the day, before meeting up with Meinard in the evening.

Rizban
2010-06-15, 03:53 PM
You pull grunt work and spend your shift sharpening swords, oiling manacle locks, and otherwise doing menial labor. Thankfully, this is only the second time you've ever pulled this assignment.

After you get off work, you find Meinard waiting for you just outside. He catches your attention then back into an alleyway.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-15, 04:02 PM
Sion follows Meinard into the alley, keeping an eye out for trouble.

Spot:[roll0]

Listen: [roll1]

Rizban
2010-06-15, 04:17 PM
He stops you and says, "Look, I really can't reveal that much about it, but I just joined this secret society. There's this group within the Guard, and being a member opens lots of doors for promotions. I've got to wear this ring until I finish my initiation but not get caught wearing it by one of the officers who isn't a member, because that could also cost me my job.

Just keep this under your cap for me, would you? This is just between friends, right?"

The-Mage-King
2010-06-15, 04:20 PM
"Hm... I'll help you. On one condition." Sion says, thinking it over for a few minutes.

"You help me join."

New plan- get it set up so that when my first target dies, I get his job. Rinse, repeat.

Rizban
2010-06-15, 04:30 PM
He looks around pensively.

"Yeah, sure... I think I can do that. It's called the uh... the Honor Guard."

The-Mage-King
2010-06-15, 04:31 PM
"Honor Guard. Got it. Let me know when and where to join."

Rizban
2010-06-15, 04:35 PM
He looks really nervous.

"I uh, can't introduce you just yet. I'm still just an initiate. I'd lose my spot if I brought you along. Look for Lieutenant Claus Durr. He's the one what brought me in. He can probably do the same for you."

The-Mage-King
2010-06-15, 04:39 PM
"Clause Durr. Got it." Sion says, taking a moment to memorize the name. "I suppose I'll see you around."

I'm waiting a few days, then going to find Mr. Durr and ask if I can join his club.

Rizban
2010-06-15, 04:44 PM
Several days later, you manage to spot Lieutenant Durr alone in the back storage room.

You also receive another 2gp for your weekly pay.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-15, 04:53 PM
"Um, sir?" Sion asks, walking up to Lt. Durr and trying to sound as eager as possible. "I heard that you could help me advance in the guard?"

Rizban
2010-06-15, 04:57 PM
"Who told you that?"

The-Mage-King
2010-06-15, 04:59 PM
"Um, a friend of mine. He asked me to not talk about the ring he was wearing, and I agreed, provided he helped me join." Sion says, shrinking back.

Rizban
2010-06-15, 10:22 PM
"So, how much did he tell you?"

The-Mage-King
2010-06-15, 10:42 PM
"Not much, sir. Just that this order exists, that he might lose his job if other officers found out, and that you help your members with promotions."

Rizban
2010-06-17, 09:47 PM
"Hmmm... I suppose I can put in a good word for you. You'll have to do something to prove yourself loyal first. I'll get back to you once we've convened and decided what this required proof will be."

The-Mage-King
2010-06-17, 09:50 PM
"My thanks, sir."

Right. Proceed as usual until I get in, work my way up, making more money and getting promotions, and then...

*schlink*

Job done, and an easy position to take advantage of for more work.

Rizban
2010-06-17, 09:57 PM
Before we go any farther, can you PM me a link to your char sheet? I seem to have lost it...

The-Mage-King
2010-06-18, 10:13 AM
Before we go any farther, can you PM me a link to your char sheet? I seem to have lost it...

It's done.

Rizban
2010-06-19, 08:46 PM
A few days later, he pulls you aside.

"I'm sorry, but you've been denied for now. It seems you've already been given your task. I don't know any more than this..."

The-Mage-King
2010-06-19, 08:49 PM
"I believe I may, sir. Thank you anyway." Sion says, starting to leave.

"Actually... Could you do me one little favor? Just a simple schedule shifting?" He pauses, a few steps away.

Rizban
2010-06-19, 08:51 PM
"Maybe so. What did you want?"

The-Mage-King
2010-06-19, 08:55 PM
"Could you get me on a solo patrol with Lt. Marc Kalb in three days? Out to Raine's Road?" Sion asks, shifting slightly back to face Durr.

Rizban
2010-06-19, 09:04 PM
"I can't change his schedule. I can, however, try to get you set on a beat that crosses his the next time he takes one. I can't know when that will be though. I'll let you know as soon as I can get it setup for you."

He dismisses you, and you know that to stay around much longer will draw unwanted attention.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-19, 09:06 PM
"Thank you, sir." Sion says, bowing slightly and leaving quietly.

I'm going to take one day off to set up the plan, finding any people who dislike Marc Kalb that I can use to provide a distraction for myself, then wait patiently for information.

Rizban
2010-06-19, 09:13 PM
You're going to need to do a Gather Information check to find people against him that you don't already know. You could always just go ask any friends you have what they think about him without raising suspicions though.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-19, 09:28 PM
Hm... Alright, I'll do that, I suppose. Just asking them what they think of him.

And my Gather Info thing. Just disguised as a man with a mole on his nose, a mustache, and a pair of spectacles.

Disguise check, taking into account my bonus due to only making minor, yet distinctive, changes: [roll0]

Gather Info check: [roll1]

:smallamused:

EDIT: Dear... Chaos. I... Perfect. Disguise. BWAHAHAHA!!!

Rizban
2010-06-19, 09:36 PM
Gebhard thinks he's wonderful and aspires to be more like him.

Jochem has only met him once and doesn't have much of an opinion but respects his superior officers.

Meinard thinks he's a self righteous toad of a man who discriminates against him, sticking him with all the worst jobs.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-19, 09:48 PM
And the results of my anonymous gather Information check?

Rizban
2010-06-19, 10:00 PM
It's not often considered wise to talk about the Guard negatively with a stranger, and you fail to find anyone willing to speak against him.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-20, 09:08 AM
Right. Then I proceed according to procedure, possibly going out of my way to find unscrupulous mercs who's written agreement includes "no questions asked", and tell them that I might be in need of their services, if they aren't on contract.
Then, after I get my info, I'm going to go hunt down more mooks- This time disguised as a very different man, yet still easy enough to get my plus 5.

This disguise roll is for when I get the intel and go out to hire mooks for flanking- I'm going as a man with a beard, small glasses, and a nosering (a clip on one). Remember-thee details are what people pay attention to.

[roll0]

Rizban
2010-06-20, 09:22 PM
You manage to find two fairly low level mercenaries willing to do anything for a handful of gold.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-20, 10:44 PM
Then I say that I'll have work for them on the day that I'm able to head on patrol near Marc Kalb. Then I wait until I get my intel, and tell them when and where to go.

Rizban
2010-06-20, 11:06 PM
Two weeks pass, and you collect 4 more gold in weekly pay.
You're just getting filthy rich here.

When checking your schedule, you notice that you have a very unusual assignment in two days. Starting at 10PM, you are to patrol Scale Street and the Market Plaza Bazaar. Skimming down the list, you note that Lt. Kalb is working Marktstraße between Mastiff's and the bazaar. After glancing at a map, you realize that there will be three times during the night in which your rounds will bring you to cross each other's path.

Rizban
2010-06-28, 11:31 PM
Still playing this?

The-Mage-King
2010-06-29, 07:55 AM
Still playing this?

Yeah. I've just been busy. Give me a few hours, and I'll have my next content post up.

Rizban
2010-06-29, 05:58 PM
Hey, no problem. We've just had a few people drop out lately, so I was just double checking with people.