PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite D&D 3.5 character sheet

Wonton
2010-06-03, 07:43 PM
I've found many over the years, but none seem to work as well for me as the revised 3.5 character sheet - I like that it gives you a whole page for gear and magic items.

What's yours?

AstralFire
2010-06-03, 07:45 PM
The one on mythweavers.

Or the one I made for my half-orc that punches pigs into raining bacon (http://www.rphaven.com/profile.php?userid=47140).

PId6
2010-06-03, 07:45 PM
Notepad

Unfortunately, many of the characters I build need way too much room to express all of their abilities, so I've stopped bothering with character sheets on characters of level 10+. Notepad is a lot easier anyway.

Os1ris09
2010-06-03, 08:02 PM
Notepad as in the free software thats like microsoft word?

Wonton
2010-06-03, 08:09 PM
Or the one I made for my half-orc that punches pigs into raining bacon (http://www.rphaven.com/profile.php?userid=47140).

Wow, that's really cool. Did you draw that? It seems like every character should have a page like this (though it still leaves me having my "spellbook" and "spell preparations" in a MS Word document).

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-03, 08:12 PM

Notepad is a mere text editor. It's nowhere near as sophisticated as Word (which is a full-on word proccessor).

But yeah, I use Notepad a lot, but mostly just for jotting down notes for future character builds and stuff. I use Word to make printed copies of spells for easy reference at the table.

PersonMan
2010-06-03, 08:37 PM
I use the ones at minotaur.cc, there's a thread with them here, too.

PId6
2010-06-03, 08:42 PM
Pretty much. They're basically just lists of stuff separated by ascii lines, but I find them more useful than actual character sheets sometimes.

jokey665
2010-06-03, 08:44 PM
I use the ones at minotaur.cc, there's a thread with them here, too.

When I use physical sheets, these are my favourites. Most of the time I just use an Excel spreadsheet character sheet that I made a few years ago; it makes life so easy with formulas and such removing a lot of the tedium present with physical sheets (changing skill modifiers, etc.).

Thurbane
2010-06-03, 09:11 PM
Notepad is a mere text editor. It's nowhere near as sophisticated as Word (which is a full-on word proccessor).

But yeah, I use Notepad a lot, but mostly just for jotting down notes for future character builds and stuff. I use Word to make printed copies of spells for easy reference at the table.
Same here. I do 90% of my character plotting into notepad.

Then I usually put all the stats into the latter 3.5 stat block format in a document editor...Open Office, in fact.

Pluto
2010-06-03, 09:14 PM
Spiral-bound, college ruled.

When I actually print something, it's the minotaur.cc sheets. Those are slick.

nedz
2010-06-03, 09:17 PM
Word, though I sometimes use Notepad for the first cut.
This allows you to have a backup, and a frontdown (I just made that word up) for when you level up.

Drakevarg
2010-06-03, 09:35 PM
Wordpad, or the one on the back of my PHB.

Os1ris09
2010-06-03, 09:46 PM
When I use physical sheets, these are my favourites. Most of the time I just use an Excel spreadsheet character sheet that I made a few years ago; it makes life so easy with formulas and such removing a lot of the tedium present with physical sheets (changing skill modifiers, etc.).

Can you send me an email with the formulas you use. I have been trying and I am not very computer savvy with code and formulas on Excel or Word.

Same here. I do 90% of my character plotting into notepad.

Then I usually put all the stats into the latter 3.5 stat block format in a document editor...Open Office, in fact.

Whats open office?

Scorpions__
2010-06-03, 09:49 PM
The ones on minotaur.cc for sure, they're undoubtedly top-of-the-heap.

DM[F]R

Tyger
2010-06-03, 09:54 PM
While I love the ones at minotaur.cc (way to go on those if you are reading!) I hate to actually write (with a pen or pencil) on my sheets, gotta type - which means I usually use Mad Irishman's fillable .pdf sheets, or another great one I found, and can't remember where I found it.... gotta track that down again.

Os1ris09
2010-06-03, 10:20 PM
I cant get the files off of minotaur.cc

Can anyone help me get those character sheet pdf's and files.

Dracons
2010-06-03, 10:34 PM
Wow. I guess my group and I are the only ones that just use plain old freaking pencil/pen and paper.

Drakevarg
2010-06-03, 10:36 PM
Wow. I guess my group and I are the only ones that just use plain old freaking pencil/pen and paper.

That's my usual first draft - I just transcribe it to my laptop later because it takes up less space in my already note-cluttered room. (Being a worldbuilding addict, I'm pretty much constantly scribbling notes about Obscure Lore #2758.)

drengnikrafe
2010-06-03, 10:42 PM
I actually developed my own character sheet, loosely based upon the template that existed for the first ever character I created. It's set up in such a way that makes perfect sense to me. It's extremely streamlined, and has very little clutter. It has everything my group needs, plus a few bonus spaces here and there. It's especially useful when one my PCs don't know what they're doing, and I can point it out.

Jera
2010-06-03, 10:50 PM
Whats open office?

It's a free(and legal) open source version of the Microsoft Office programs. It comes with most Linux distro's but you can put it on a Window's machine if you want.

You can find it over at Openoffice.org

I use Open Office Spreadsheet(it's like Excel) for 4e, and Word Processor for 3.x.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-03, 11:42 PM
I believe the OO spreadsheet program is called Calc.

I've personally found it rather lacking in comparison to Excel, though the last time I tried it was two or three years ago.

Anyway, I use Excel sometimes (I can do some real wizardry with that), but usually just use The Tangled Web's sheets; I like them a bit better than Myth-Weavers.

For physical sheets, sadie's seem like they've got to be the nicest, they're really amazing. Haven't checked out minotaur.cc though.

Kaulesh
2010-06-04, 12:32 AM
The SSA (http://www.ssa-x2.com/index.php5?title=Main_Page) character sheets look nice, but holy crap, a PDF shouldn't have system requirements to use.

Sindri
2010-06-04, 01:48 AM
I typically use the Judges Guild Wildelands Campaign character sheet. It's a single page, front and back, so it's a lot more convenient to me than the really extensive ones, it actually has enough room for your feats and equipment, and I can find things faster on it than on any of the others I've found so far. You have to cross off "Sailor" on the skill list, and there isn't much use for the "familiar regions" section in most campaigns, but those are the only flaws.

Incidentally, I've never liked the character sheets with a space for spell lists. For half the classes in the game, it's wasted space. For the other half, it'll never be big enough, and you'll need a separate sheet(s) anyway.

Nihb
2010-06-04, 06:44 AM
My group has a long history of custom made sheets. I, for one, designed a single-paged page. Being able to cram important NPCs on one piece of paper has been useful as a DM. Playing as a ranger/fighter/justiciar right now, this is the one I use at the moment.

One of my friends has some troubles with his sight and needs bigger spaces on his sheets, so I made him a two-pages sheet, and he can just put his spells (he very rarely makes full casters anyway) on the backside.

Another of my friends likes to plan his characters up to the 20th level. Which we didn't ever reach. He has four pages, with the front page being a synthesis of the character. The second page has everything he has and will get. Too many sheets to my tastes, but it works for him.

We print our sheets, but we had two players use spreadsheets, one of them also using PCGen.

dobu
2010-06-04, 07:08 AM
my self made, self-calculating (well... the basics at least.) .xls sheet.tried to do a revamp, but never finished it... lives on my HDD next to my unfinished spelldatabase and spellbook frontend.

but for quick and dirty, I use those on minotaur.cc

panaikhan
2010-06-04, 07:38 AM
I love the SSA sheets.

I transferred my 'Artificer 5 / Fighter 2 / Juggernaught 3' Warforged to one recently, and discovered I'd 'forgotten' on or two calculations on my pen & paper copy :smallredface:

It's good to have a semi-automatic character sheet to double-check your maths sometimes.

Oh, and thanks for the link - they have a new 4E version up :smallbiggrin:

rojomoke
2010-06-04, 11:09 AM
Does no-one use HeroForge?

gbprime
2010-06-04, 11:24 AM
I use a word document. The original author was "mmcconnell", and I can't find a link to it anymore. But I've modified it time and time again. Tweak it for each character, and make sure that all the info I need 90% of the time is on pages 1 and 2. It's hard to strike that balance sometimes between enough and too much.

But I have a tablet PC, so once the character is leveled up, I convert it into a windows journal file so I can scribble on it like it was paper.

Gaiwecoor
2010-06-04, 12:17 PM

Apparently not. For those that have Excel, it's a fantastic tool. Unfortunately, the macros in it aren't compatible with OpenOffice.org, so you can't use Calc to run it. (This is why I don't use it, currently.)

Il_Vec
2010-06-04, 01:32 PM
Most of my group uses player handbook or WotC's Revised 3.5 sheet. I usually write down all the numbers I need on a piece of paper and call it a sheet.

Masaioh
2010-06-04, 01:37 PM
I use the revised 3.5 character sheet on Wizards' site.

Ormagoden
2010-06-04, 01:39 PM

I do only because I don't have to open 30 books to build a character (most of the time.)

Darkfire
2010-06-04, 01:49 PM
For physical sheets, sadie's seem like they've got to be the nicest, they're really amazing. Haven't checked out minotaur.cc though.
Do you mean the site or the sheets on there? If the latter, they are Sadie's sheets.

I cant get the files off of minotaur.cc
Can anyone help me get those character sheet pdf's and files.
If the main link (http://www.minotaur.cc/3.5.zip) isn't working, try using the Google Code page http://code.google.com/p/charactersheets/.

Back on topic: I'm currently using the one from pen, paper & pixel (here (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/downloadspage/ppnpplayercharactersheets.htm) just in case you've not already seen them when looking something up on d20srd.org) but I'm intending on switching to using Sadie's set in the near future.

nylanfs
2010-06-04, 06:26 PM
I use PCGen personally.