PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Equipping the Big Bad

Drakevarg
2010-06-03, 09:33 PM
Part 1-

Is LA taken into account when determining WBL?

Yes. Moving on...

Part 2-

What is the best gear for a 12th Level Elf Lich Cleric whose hobbies include Zombie Apocalypse (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ZombieApocalypse)-based world domination, killing people in unnessicarily gorey ways (in this setting, death by inflict spells results in Ludicrous Gibs (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LudicrousGibs)), and setting up trump cards that might not pay off for years?

Curmudgeon
2010-06-03, 10:01 PM
Part 1-

Is LA taken into account when determining WBL?
Yes. The relevant tables are based on effective character level (ECL), which adds together

class levels
racial hit dice (HD)
level adjustment (LA)

Drakevarg
2010-06-03, 10:04 PM
Yes. The relevant tables are based on effective character level (ECL), which adds together

class levels
racial hit dice (HD)
level adjustment (LA)

Which results in, amongst other things, obscenely rich Azer peasants...

Anywho, more to the point, this gives my Lich spending money of 77000gp.

deuxhero
2010-06-03, 10:06 PM
They get the wealth that is recommended for overcoming a challenge of their CR in the DMG/SRD, not player wealth

Drakevarg
2010-06-03, 10:08 PM
They get the wealth that is recommended for overcoming a challenge of their CR in the DMG/SRD, not player wealth.

Eh, I stiff the PCs out of lots of treasure regardless.

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-03, 10:18 PM
An NPC with PC wealth is much more difficult to overcome than an NPC that follows the actual rules.

Drakevarg
2010-06-03, 10:49 PM
An NPC with PC wealth is much more difficult to overcome than an NPC that follows the actual rules.

Strictly speaking, this is only to determine what the guy is carrying on him. He's one of the leaders of a global cult. He's got essentially unlimited resources in that regard.

Kalrik
2010-06-03, 11:19 PM
Lich Cleric...give him item creation feats. He has all the uber items his cold cruel heart can manage. If he is the leader of a huge organization, then you could rightly give him anything you desire. If you don't want the PC's to have that much wealth, well, you said you are accustomed to that.

My thoughts: don't let the party win. They shouldn't be beating a lich with a far sighted world view. Let them feel great that they forced a retreat and won a token amount of gear or coin...but have the lich come back later.

If this is THE big bad of the game and this is to be THE epic battle, then give him an equal amount of gear to the average of the party and be sure that he has enough minions to wear down the party before he is even in the picture. Single Spell-caster bad guy vs. party usually is too easy of an encounter.

Drakevarg
2010-06-03, 11:27 PM
Lich Cleric...give him item creation feats. He has all the uber items his cold cruel heart can manage. If he is the leader of a huge organization, then you could rightly give him anything you desire. If you don't want the PC's to have that much wealth, well, you said you are accustomed to that.

My thoughts: don't let the party win. They shouldn't be beating a lich with a far sighted world view. Let them feel great that they forced a retreat and won a token amount of gear or coin...but have the lich come back later.

If this is THE big bad of the game and this is to be THE epic battle, then give him an equal amount of gear to the average of the party and be sure that he has enough minions to wear down the party before he is even in the picture. Single Spell-caster bad guy vs. party usually is too easy of an encounter.

Well, I'm not concerned with the epic battle of epicness quite yet. It's still the beginning of the campaign. I just wanted his sheet written up ahead of time. Maybe, if I'm feeling cruel, have him continue to level at half the rate of the PCs (I level VERY slowly...)

Anywho, he's already got Craft Wonderous Item, but the other feats were used up on Corpsecrafter goodies.