PDA

View Full Version : Movies you want to see

Setra
2010-06-04, 12:32 AM
Pretty simple thread. Just list off some movies (old or new) that you want to see, and maybe why, and possibly discuss =p

Movies I want to see:
Robin Hood: The new one specifically, a commercial just kinda made it look cool. Fairly sure it's not even half that awesome, but I still want to see it.

The Expendables: The cast. That's seriously it, I admit it. The trailer looked pretty good too, though.

The Watchmen: I haven't seen this yes, everyone I know has though and they all like it. The friends who know my tastes in movies insist I will like it, so I probably will. I just haven't gotten around to renting it.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: Words cannot explain just how much I want to see this movie. I can't even explain why I want to, it's just... so AWESOME looking. Of course, by awesome I mean CRAZY AWESOME!

Admittedly, my reason for watching movies is fairly shallow, I could care less if a movie is 'good' as long as I'm entertained by it, but that's fine with me :smalltongue:

Edit:
Oh yeah, also Prince of Persia and The Last Airbender movie. Mostly because I really enjoyed their source, and the trailers looked good.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-04, 12:43 AM
I can happily recommend Prince of Persia. I liked it a lot.

I need to get around to watching Downfall (the one that spawned all the Angry Hitler videos). The historian in me keeps poking at me to watch it.

I also need to sit and watch Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter (whichever one had Van Damme in it) all the way through.

Zevox
2010-06-04, 01:18 AM
There's actually a few this summer, which is unusual, as I don't often have movies I'm interested in seeing - didn't see a single one in between Iron Man and Iron Man 2.

Shrek Forever After: Hesitant on it, since Shrek the Third was pretty mediocre, but I did like the first two a fair bit, and my mom and sister are going to it Saturday, so I'm going to go along with them.

Toy Story 3: Also a bit hesitant, mostly because I don't know if a new installment in the series is a good idea after all this time, but may go see it.

The Last Airbender: Because I loved the show, and the trailers at least give me hope that the action sequences will be worth it, no matter how much else they botch. Will definitely see it (in 2D), and probably the second movie too, since two of my three favorite characters won't show up until then, and season two was the strongest of the show. The third I'll only see if I actually think the first two are worthy adaptations of the show though.

For more "sometime in the future" films...

X-Men: First Class: Heard about this not long ago, when a news article talking about the guy they hired to play the younger Xavier showed up on Yahoo. Being an X-Men fan, I will almost certainly see it. Same goes for X-Men Origins: Magneto, if that is actually going to happen (seems to be up in the air from what I gather from Wikipedia), since unlike Wolverine I actually like Magneto enough to be interested in a movie focusing specifically on him.

Iron Man 3/Thor/The Avengers/Green Lantern: General upcoming superhero movies I'm interested in. Liked the Iron Man movies enough to still be interested in the third, probably interested enough in the concepts of Thor and the Avengers to see those, and will certainly see Green Lantern since he's my favorite superhero.

There's also the Mass Effect movie that was recently announced. Will depend on a lot of factors, but I might go see that.

Zevox

Kuma Da
2010-06-04, 01:37 AM
Shrek Forever After

I read that as "shark forever after", and was terribly disappointed when I went back and read it the correct way.

Athaniar
2010-06-04, 02:07 AM
A partial list (of movies that have already been released):

Iron Man 2 - I will go watch this one some time soon.

Robin Hood - The new one. Also planning on watching this soon.

Prince of Persia - Maybe. Haven't played the games, but it looked cool in the trailer.

The Hulk - Again, the latest version.

Sherlock Holmes - Same here. Missed it when it was in cinemas.

The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice - I liked the first two.

Rocky - All of them, I hear they are good.

RoboCop - Also a series of movies in the "must watch some day" category. Sadly, they never seem to show up on TV.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Maybe. I did like the first X-Men movie. The rest, not so much.

Lots of movies I already have recorded or on DVD but haven't watched yet - Terminator: Salvation, Stargate: Ark of Truth, Stargate: Continuum, Excalibur, Dirty Harry, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God, Die Hard 2, Rambo 3, Jaws, Back to the Future, Transformers, Dracula (with Lugosi), Nosferatu, Daredevil, Elektra, several Samurai movies... I will watch most of them before long, I "promise"!

Admittedly, my reason for watching movies is fairly shallow, I could care less if a movie is 'good' as long as I'm entertained by it, but that's fine with me :smalltongue:

That's what movies are for, mostly: to entertain people.

I also need to sit and watch Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter (whichever one had Van Damme in it) all the way through.
Street Fighter; but don't watch it (just) because of Van Damme, watch it because of Raul Julia.

pita
2010-06-05, 04:20 AM
Death At A Funeral (The remake. And yes, I've seen and loved the original. I just want to see if the remake is any good. Please stop recommending it every single frickin time I mention the remake), MacGruber, and The Losers didn't come out in Israel, and I want to see them.
The Other Guys and the Expendables probably won't come out in Israel, which is a pity, because I really want to see them also.
I want to see Nolan's new movie (Inception? What's it called? Is Inception right?), as well as the new Matt Damon movie (The something Bureau).
Shrek Forever After is something I'll catch on TV in a few years.
I wanna see Toy Story 3.

Otogi
2010-06-05, 05:07 AM
Death At A Funeral (The remake. And yes, I've seen and loved the original. I just want to see if the remake is any good. Please stop recommending it every single frickin time I mention the remake)

Actually, I heard it was pretty good. Damn it, I commented.

pita
2010-06-05, 10:59 AM
Actually, I heard it was pretty good. Damn it, I commented.

Heh. I heard it was better than the original from Roger Ebert (Who I mistrust completely and utterly - even when he likes a movie, I disagree with him on why, and when he dislikes a movie, it makes me want to see it. He seems to be watching most movies while he's half asleep.), and I've read the script (Which is decent). It seems like it can be decent, but I don't like Tracy Morgan (Whose acting style can be described as "Yell all of your lines in a monotone while giving emphasis to random words for no reason"), and I don't like that they switched Alan Tudyk (One of the actors with the best comedic timing out there, IMO, especially when playing a stoned character) with James Marsden, who is just ridiculously good looking and I'm kinda threatened.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-05, 12:59 PM
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: Words cannot explain just how much I want to see this movie. I can't even explain why I want to, it's just... so AWESOME looking. Of course, by awesome I mean CRAZY AWESOME!

Yeah me too. I mean the fight scenes look like something out of Kung Fu Hustle. And given there are seven ex-boyfriends we're looking as several fight scenes. At the very least it'll be a good B movie to riff.

Phae Nymna
2010-06-05, 01:31 PM
Moon
Evil Dead 2
Watercolors
Milk
Stardust
Shutter Island
Inception
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Chicago
Inglourious Basterds (It would be my eigth time.)
Pulp Fiction
Texas Chainsaw Massacre II
The Giant Claw
Tron
Xanadon't
Were the World Mine
Requiem for a Dream
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

That's my full list right now.

Zevox
2010-06-05, 03:53 PM
Shrek Forever After: Hesitant on it, since Shrek the Third was pretty mediocre, but I did like the first two a fair bit, and my mom and sister are going to it Saturday, so I'm going to go along with them.
So, yeah, I saw it; and predictably, it wasn't as good as the first two. Perhaps better than the third, though - there were some genuinely creative and entertaining moments, if not a whole lot of laugh-out-loud funny ones. I wish they had done something different with Pus however - I loved him in Shrek 2, but most of the jokes with him being fat in this one were, predictably, about on the level of Garfield jokes.

Also, this was the first 3D movie I've seen since... well, in a long time; certainly since the current fad of them started. And I've got say, while it looked better than I remember from previous 3D movies, it really didn't seem to have a purpose. At its best it contributed nothing to the movie, and it felt no different from watching a 2D movie, except with the mild annoyance that I had a second pair of glasses on. At worst there were a few "stuff jumps out at you" scenes, which were annoying in their own right - like the horses at the start. About the only scene that was, perhaps, more impressive for it was the one with the gang riding on Dragon's back near the start. That's it.

Oh, and since there was a trailer for The Last Airbender before the movie, I got a preview of how that'll look in 3D. And everything I said about Shrek's 3D applies - for the most part, it was hardly different from watching it in 2D; there seemed to be a few scenes where they were using it to make the bending jump out at you, although not too directly, thankfully; and there was exactly one scene, with a formation of Fire Nation soldiers awaiting battle, where it was perhaps more impressive than it is in 2D. None of it looked bad per se, but I didn't get the impression that there was any reason for it. So, yeah, still think I'm going to just see it in 2D.

Zevox

Raistlin1040
2010-06-05, 04:16 PM
Were the World Mine

This film is fantastic.

For mine, it's bascially stuff my best friend has recommended. Breakfast at Tiffany's, Love Story, Mists of Avalon are what immediately come to mind, but there's a lot more, which I'll probably post when I remember.

raitalin
2010-06-05, 04:21 PM
I want to see a romantic comedy starring, say, Jennifer Aniston and Ryan Reynolds. Full production value, totally by-the-book formula, pop hits for the soundtrack, the whole vomit-inducing shebang.

Then, 30 minutes into the movie, say right after "Boy Gets Girl Instance 1", the lead is hit by a bus and the credits roll.

Now that's art.

We'll call it "The 3:30 to Fresno"

Wait, is that not what we were talking about?

Myshlaevsky
2010-06-05, 04:25 PM
At the moment, a film called Peppermint Candy.

pita
2010-06-05, 05:14 PM
Actually, that reminds me that I want to see The Last Airbender, which WILL arrive in Israel, and The A-Team, which will also arrive in Israel.

JonestheSpy
2010-06-05, 09:02 PM
I want to see the version of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that comes from the alternate universe where it wasn't a total travesty.

waterpenguin43
2010-06-06, 12:35 AM
I sort of want to see Rocky Horror.

There, I said it.

Setra
2010-06-06, 12:52 AM

There, I said it.
I want to see it... but then again... I sorta don't want to see it.

The only way I'll end up watching it is if someone puts the movie in front of me and says 'Let's watch this'. Probably.

JonestheSpy
2010-06-06, 10:09 AM

The only way I'll end up watching it is if someone puts the movie in front of me and says 'Let's watch this'. Probably.

You'd be doin' it all wrong, in that case. If you don't go see it in a theater with a bunch of other Rocky horror fans, you're missing the whole point.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-06, 10:30 AM
I want to see some films done by Rifftrax.

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-06, 02:46 PM
Citizen Kane.

I've had the DVD for over a year now and I still haven't gotten around to watching it.

EDIT: Also, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World has six ex-boyfriends. Not seven. It has seven exes, however, since one of those exes is a girl. The world should collectively stop making that mistake, methinks.

Tono
2010-06-06, 03:37 PM

Like above said, you can't really just watch the movie and get the Rocky Horror Feeling. You either have to go to a theatre and see it, (look out for it especially in Late October, early November) or some places that will put on a 'mini' version using the movie, but still have the audience participation.

Morty
2010-06-06, 03:42 PM
Pulp Fiction. I've been trying to watch it for half a year, but something always gets in the way.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-06, 06:38 PM
Pulp Fiction. I've been trying to watch it for half a year, but something always gets in the way.

Haven't seen it either but the breakfast scene alone is more than enough for me.

Phae Nymna
2010-06-07, 07:32 AM
I want to see the version of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that comes from the alternate universe where it wasn't a total travesty.

I still want Sean Connery for the role, but only if he actually is manhandling and abusive. Not to mention eeeeeeeverything else that went wrong, but that can be left up to a passionate new director.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-07, 07:53 AM

They need to remake all his movies. V for Vendetta and Watchmen were a total let down.

Also, can't wait to see Thor coming out next year.

pita
2010-06-07, 10:54 AM
Watchmen was unfilmable without six or more hours. If anybody makes Watchmen, it should be as a miniseries.
The first half of the movie is great because it covers the first four chapters (Though I did have my complaints).
The second half has to cover eight, and fails miserably.
V For Vendetta was not a bad movie, it just wasn't the comic book. It was the comic book through the eyes of the Wachowski Brothers and the year it came out in (I remember 2005, but I may be wrong).

Samurai Jill
2010-06-08, 01:51 PM

There, I said it.
That film is either genius or idiocy, but I can't tell which.

Moon- a faintly silly premise, but very well-executed.

I'm looking forward to The Hobbit. (Which is odd, considering how little I liked tTT/tRotK...)

drakir_nosslin
2010-06-08, 02:00 PM
The Book of Eli. I really liked The Road, and I've heard that TBoE is supposed to be even better. Can't wait!

Icewalker
2010-06-08, 02:10 PM
Lessee...

Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Donnie Darko, Once, Slumdog Millionaire, No Country For Old Men, the Gurren Lagann movies...

There's many many more, but I forget what they are.