PDA

View Full Version : Complete Game Satisfaction!

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-06-04, 12:40 AM
My group and I have finished a 1-20 campaign tonight. Our characters have had their dramatic wrap-ups and we all feel accomplished and satified with the end of the story.

This thread is for anyone who chooses to post your End game experience.

How many of you have actaully completed games that went from level 1-20? How many times have you completed 1-20 games?
What's you favorite part?
What's your least favorite part?

Tell your stories!

CyberRebirth
2010-06-04, 01:01 AM
I actually haven't had a chance to finish a game, but you should tell yours! :smalltongue:

Binks
2010-06-04, 01:12 AM
(I assume since d&d isn't specifically mentioned it's alright to talk about other games?)

I ran a monty haul 1-20 in ~15 sessions jedi campaign once in saga edition. It was a ton of fun, especially since the quick pacing lent itself well to a little hilarity. It was a great game, though it ended right about where it should have (before jumping the shark IMHO).

Highlights were probably the player's pilot droid, the ramming, the 'old throw a sith into a juggernaut then blow it up' trick and the finale.

It was set just before Episode 2 and had two jedi (master and apprentice, one level apart, master was a force wizard, apprentice was a dual saber death machine) running around trying to stop a powerful group of dark siders (but not sith, they were clear on that) from destroying the force.

The player's pilot droid was a PX-3 series that they 'acquired' when they basically stole a bunch of smuggler's old shuttle after capturing them (they had a good reason to take it, which was why I never called them on it and neither did the council). PX was a bit...odd. Let's just put it this way, among the other upgrades he performed on the player's shuttle (while bolted in place in the cockpit no less :smalltongue:) was adding a deployable disco ball, sound and light system, hydrolic landing gear, and a binder cuff dispenser. I had him just do these random things to add some random jokes in to the game but my players found a way to use almost all of them in actual gameplay, which was hilariously great.

The ramming was one of these, long story short a guy's trying to escape via a secret tunnel in his YT-1300. The player's shuttle is parked right outside, PX the only one aboard, trying to shoot down at the upcoming ship (that can't be seen due to a hologram disguising the entryway) and failing horribly (nat 1), so bad that no shots go down the hole. So the guy shoots out at full speed...straight into the player's shuttle. I rule that they get semi-locked together, with the bottom of their shuttle sitting right on top of the cockpit of the 1300. At which point they order the droid to deploy the disco ball and light system and crank the stereo up to full. Since the ships are literally touching, and it's a hilarious idea, I let it work, having the other ship's captain be suddenly blinded and deafened by the music. It was fairly easy for them to capture him at that point :smallbiggrin:.

Another mission they had a juggernaut rigged to blow up (erasing evidence) when the BBEG showed up. He had a special ability that basically let him astrally project himself across the galaxy, and the players had met him enough times to know it by this point, so they knew it wasn't actually him. So they basically talked down to him. When combat started the wizard got a great initiative, rolled a nat 20 on his Use the Force check, and threw the guy into the juggernaut (he failed to rebuke it). The wizard then ran aboard the shuttle, started closing the door, and ordered PX to take off and the other jedi to detonate the charges. Cue ship flying away as a massive explosion goes off below. Great laughs and high fives were exchanged as this awesome (if a bit quick) end to the fight.

The final session(s) were pretty cool on their own. The PCs went to the BBEG's homeworld (in the unknown regions of course) and were confronted by 6 astral projections of the BBEG, who were significantly stronger with the proximity to the BBEG himself. He had his capital ship and fighters take on the jedi who had come (~200 knights/masters in delta-7s, I used a scene from the clone wars video game with a fleet of delta-7's for this). The jedi boarded the ship and took it over while the players made their way to the BBEG base. When they arrived the BBEG gave a monologue (I specifically asked my players for permission to give the BBEG one uninterrupted monologue, as befit a villain of his level) then had ~100 fighters rise from the forests around the players to attack...when the jedi armada, led by a small unassuming shuttle with a disco ball deployed below, descend upon them, engaging the fighters while the PCs fought the BBEG's projections, then the man himself. It was a pretty awesome ending to a great campaign IMHO, and my players seemed to have a lot of fun with it as well.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-06-04, 11:32 AM
I'll add my own now that I have had a chance to sleep on it.

We originally called the game "the cliche game". because we all built very cliched characters and the DM planned for many cliche encounters. we all were expecting some good fun stereotypical dnd. The game later became "The Althamarian Chronicals" as our fantasy kingdom was called Althamar.

Daniel was our star was our Paladin. The not so intelligent but very attractive farm boy who later discovered he was the lost prince of the kingdom. At the end he was level 19, the lover to a goddess, and had successfully married off his sister to avoid the throne. He was also hero to the entire plan of existence. he later did end up taking the throne as he was immortal and ruled his kingdom for a thousand years.

William (Bob) the drunkard old halfling, was a rogue and a wizard. When not sneaking about he was often using magic to earn free drinks. As he developed he lost his love of booze and his love of magic grew. At the end he was a Deathless Unseen Seer/Archmage who lived forever perpetrating magical mischief with the love of his unlife throughout the planes and rubbed noses with the other great wizards of the multiverse.

Stark Procras played the role of our cranky tempermental cannon(read warmage). He was a soldier and militant to the very end and joined our party to fulfill the failed contract of his son. (This player had more character deaths than all the other players put together.) In the end he was a superwarmage werebear. This character sacrified his entire being and all that he was to depower the BBEG enough that the rest of the party could kill him. In tribute the DM turned him into a vestige.

and Claira of Highfalls (Me!). The virgin healer devoted to the unicorn god Valerian. (yeah i really pushed the cliche) She eventually became a saint and the Chosen of Valerian. With extensive devotion and the entire sum of her adventuring wealth being donated to her church she eventually converted enough worship to valerian to upgrade him in divine rank, taking her mission of spreading the peace love and purity of the worship of the unicorn god to the multiverse after the end of the game. As a side effect of being an Chosen exalted saint VOP healer she was also pretty much walking to undeath and became something of a legend on the various battelfields where the living fought the dead. Nothing like epic level mass heals on the front lines to turn the tide of a battel against the undead. (Then she'd tell everybody to worship Valerian, set up a church and leave for the next battle).

As for the party as a whole our greater accomplishments are as follows.
-rescued item of power from crumbling city in the midst of massive undead seige
-retrieved other item of power from enchanted city in center of sea
-outwited and outmatched blackguard leader of evil mercenaries
-retrieved item of power from ancient temple full of monsters
-convinced elvish nation to join our nations war and fight on our side
-visited and subsequently became leaders of the city of the dead within a well of souls
-SURVIVED THE TOMB OF HORRORS to get additional item of power
-fought uber advanced deathnight to save princess
-KILLED A BALOR PRINCE
-decimated the armies of BBEG
-Successfully sanctified BBEG thus turning him into a good guy.
-Rebuilt the country formerly under the rule of BBEG into an independant but good aligned nation.
- everyone found some form of good aligned immortality.

It was an awsome game, we started at level 1, we went to 20 (really we went from ecls 18-23). We all had a blast and thats the most important part, after all, that's what gaming is about.

Petrankov
2010-06-04, 11:50 AM
I finished a campaign last year that ran from Level 1-38. Unfortunately through character death and player attrition few of the original characters survived all the way to the end.

It was a Forgotten Realms campaign mix between (heavily modified) modules and homebrew adventures. It was somewhat of a hodgepodge of mods I had always wanted to run tied together with homebrew including:

H1-H4 - The Bloodstone Modules,
Ravenloft - Roots of Evil & From the Shadows,
Curse of the Azure Bonds,
How the Mighty Have Fallen,
Shadowdale, Tantras & Waterdeep.

It started in February of 2002 and ended in September of 2009. Fun times!

Siegel
2010-06-04, 12:29 PM
My group and I have finished a 1-20 campaign tonight. Our characters have had their dramatic wrap-ups and we all feel accomplished and satified with the end of the story.

This thread is for anyone who chooses to post your End game experience.

How many of you have actaully completed games that went from level 1-20? How many times have you completed 1-20 games?
What's you favorite part?
What's your least favorite part?

Tell your stories!

But you haven't completed the Epic tier. there are 10 more levels to go !

Johanas
2010-06-04, 02:44 PM
Pretty sure the OP is talking 3.5.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-06-04, 07:12 PM
Yes I am talking 3.5. Lol. 3.5 Doesn't really have levels past 20 not unless you start using the epic rule sets.
Nothing wrong with epic, it just sort of becomes a different game at that point so we tend to think of 1-20 as a complete game.

Devils_Advocate
2010-06-04, 10:09 PM
We originally called the game "the cliche game". because we all built very cliched characters and the DM planned for many cliche encounters. we all were expecting some good fun stereotypical dnd.
So, these items of power that you speak of. Were they a matched set of items of power that had to be collected and used in a ritual to save the world, before the BBEG could collect them and use them in a ritual to destroy the world / conquer the world / become a god, muahaha?

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-06-04, 10:33 PM
So, these items of power that you speak of. Were they a matched set of items of power that had to be collected and used in a ritual to save the world, before the BBEG could collect them and use them in a ritual to destroy the world / conquer the world / become a god, muahaha?

Yes, yes they were! A couple sets of items actually. One gave you ultimate arcane power/all knowledge, The other made you nearly invincible and resurected you if you managed to die/had a magic sword. It was great fun!

we also fought
-dragons
-illithid
-werecreature
-orcs (who hated elves)
-Rakasha
-Efreet
-vampire
-mummy
-lich
-deathnight
-held off zombies from inside a tavern!
-a sphynx
-pirates/ninjas/and ninjapirate (ture story!)
-devil summoners
-the black night (the evil twin to the paladin!)
- a hippo. . (long story)
- a drow
-a snake cult (yuanti, naga and medusa)
-and by the way did I mention the balor?

also we had one of our own betray us at a critical moment in dramatic fashion wich lead to a fight with the emisary of a dead god. . .

such a fun game

Draz74
2010-06-04, 11:04 PM
- a hippo. . (long story)

Does it involve "Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu", the most flavorful feat ever written? :smallamused:

jguy
2010-06-04, 11:23 PM
Just a single Drow? Did he wield twin scimitars?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-04, 11:41 PM
The last 3 campaigns I ran went all the way to 20th level. I can't reveal anything about them because the three PbP campaigns I'm running here coincidentally share some of the same plot (running two pseudohistorical Fey-based campaigns and two "Holy crap, the Upper Planes are gone and fiends are invading!" campaigns in two years, who'da thunk?), but I can say that everyone did have fun and accomplish what they wanted.

RelentlessImp
2010-06-04, 11:57 PM
-Rakasha

Were they ggggrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT?

-pirates/ninjas/and ninjapirate (ture story!)

But not Zombie Pirate Ninja Cyborgs?

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-06-05, 12:40 AM
Does it involve "Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu", the most flavorful feat ever written? :smallamused:

haha, yes actaully.

Just a single Drow? Did he wield twin scimitars?

also yes

Were they ggggrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT?

yes, except for the kicking our butts alot. . . and the being the same build as our party but EVIL

But not Zombie Pirate Ninja Cyborgs?

no cyborgs. . . and no zombie-pirate-ninjas. . . just pirates, ninjas and pirate-ninjas

Endarire
2010-06-05, 04:02 PM
Having DMed a campaign from 1 to 21 that ran 17 months, had 4 cameo DMs, and involved a game of massive scope, my summary was it was "Lots." Lots of planning, lots of players, lots of fun, lots of imagining, and lots of scale.

The game was set in and its plot loosely referenced the computer game World of Xeen. The grant scale battles of combining both halves of a flat world into a spherical planet to stop an alien invasion, and fighting death in a perpetual time stop made me realize 3.P was the system for me.

4E's default system just couldn't handle this sort of thing. Even in 3.5, we tweaked the system by changing (mostly upgrading) classes to make things work.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-06-05, 07:59 PM
Having DMed a campaign from 1 to 21 that ran 17 months, had 4 cameo DMs, and involved a game of massive scope, my summary was it was "Lots." Lots of planning, lots of players, lots of fun, lots of imagining, and lots of scale.

The game was set in and its plot loosely referenced the computer game World of Xeen. The grant scale battles of combining both halves of a flat world into a spherical planet to stop an alien invasion, and fighting death in a perpetual time stop made me realize 3.P was the system for me.

4E's default system just couldn't handle this sort of thing. Even in 3.5, we tweaked the system by changing (mostly upgrading) classes to make things work.

That sounds like a great game.

Ours ran about a year but we did 2 nights a week for most of it.

I agree with you on 4e not being right for that kind of game. 4E isnt bad, it's just not designed for the same kind of story. I prefer 3.x myself simply because I like the customization, both in character and universe potential.