PDA

View Full Version : How to make Metamagic Rod: Maximize SLA

Snikies
2010-06-04, 05:01 AM
I am trying to build a custom weapon for my Warlock. I took the Warlock Sceptor out of the magic item compendium and im trying to combine it with an item that doesn't exsist exactly. I have found the Metamagic Rod: Maximize, but no rods for maximizing SLAs. However, to build this item, it would require the use of two charged abilites. The standard warlock scepter charges for increased eldritch blast damage, and the Maximized SLA. I would guess that each could be used, but not simultaniously? So my question is cost! How much would it be to create this item? And would i be able to use both item abilites at the same time? If so, then i could reasonably beef up my eldritch blast dice pool using all charges, then maximizing it to do a great deal of damage. I have DM approval to make the item, but I have to do all the research. So far I have come up with this: Item stacking, combine the price of both items plus 50% of the lesser item. Warlock scepter 8305x50%=12475.5Gp Plus Rod of Metamagic: Maximize 14000Gp = 26475.5Gp
Rod of Metamagic lesser will maximize a spell up to 3rd lvl and Eldritch Blast is listed as a lvl 1 spell according to Carc. I also use hideous blow, which is also listed as a lvl 1 equivilant spell. Thus allowing the use of that particular metamagic item. Assuming it is similar to feats Maximize Spell and Maximize SLA. It seems to me that if there is a Rod for one metamagic feat, then there should be one for the other at the same price considering they do basicially the same thing.
Any thoughs, suggestions, issues with my math? Because i know i'm bad at match, and so i would guess that i would be bad at custum items as well.

sdream
2010-06-07, 03:08 PM
Since the rods are use activated anyway (able to be triggered when using the action without taking a separate action) there is no conflict with activating both at once (the sceptre takes a swift action).

Since rods and sceptres are both one handed items, there is nothing to prevent you from holding both and using both at once.

However, a rod of maximize (eldritch blast) is much more specific than a generic rod of maximize (any spell), and although I did not see a discount noted on the SRD I know some book specifies that items which have restrictions on the use get a discount.

If I were you, I would ask your DM to cut you a deal:

- In exchange for a rod which is only usable with eldritch blasts carrying shapes/essences of less than X spell level (for lesser/normal/major rod price)
- and a sceptre which only adds 1d6 (err 6) when the rod is used (but provides the aiming benefit the whole time)
- Combine the two for no extra cost.

This is significantly less flexible than a vanilla sceptre and vanilla rod, but everybody wins:

- Only track one set of charges
- Attack bonus doesn't move around
- You have a hand free and one less item to carry

If the rods of maximize weren't crazy expensive, I would be into that.

My custom warlock weapon is a warlock sceptre, only instead of being a +1 mace it is a +1 spear, which I added the changeling property to. I don't believe I have ever poked somebody with it, but it's cool and iconic none the less.

jiriku
2010-06-07, 03:48 PM
Hi Paul. I think sdream makes a good point here. I hadn't considered it, but a rod of maximize (eldritch blast) is much less flexible than a rod of maximize (any SLA). And a rod+sceptre combo that can only be activated in tandem is less flexible than two unrelated enchantments nailed onto one stick. I also like the idea of only have one set of uses per day to track; that's less bookkeeping.

I could approve that item at 22,305 gp. Heck, let's simplify it further and increase the scepter effect from 5 charges/day to 2/charges per activation 3x/day. We'll call it 23,000 gp even. That means that three times per day you'll deal (Maximized EB) + Maximized 2d6 from scepter, or 12 bonus damage). In other words, it's your boomstick.

And just to smooth out the item creation process, I feel it's completely reasonable that if you get your artificer and your weaponsmith together, the artificer can start weaving in the enchantment while the weaponsmith finishes up the weapon. That will reduce your overall wait time until they finish building it for you.

Snikies
2010-06-07, 04:16 PM
Those are both very useful ideas. I suggested them to my DM and he did infact aprove them. He actually liked the creation idea than my original concept. It works exactly how i wanted it to. A couple of times per day i want to just really mess someone up. Like when someone just refuses to die with heals fast healing, ect. That makes the job much more effective. Thanks for all your help.