PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 01:49 PM
That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet. I really mean that. You people are awesome!
Anyways, what do your usernames mean? Mine is the name of the coolest character who I've ever played. What are yours?
-Xavez

Ichneumon
2010-06-04, 01:51 PM
My name is the name of an insect, which had my special interest when I made the account. That's it basically.

Cealocanth
2010-06-04, 01:57 PM
The idea of my username sprouted about a few years ago when I was reading about the history of life on earth. I came to the section on the Devonian period and read that a rare fish named the Coelacanth was recently pulled out of the ocean. Recently thought to be extinct, it has barely changed at all since the Devonian period.

My obsession over the history of Earth's life already underway, I decided that using the name Coelacanth would be a nice symbol of my interests in that area. The first time I used it was in Nanowrimo, spelled it wrong incedentally, and found out a year later that I had spelled it wrong. Then it became my unique username, meaning the fish, but spelled wrong on purpose.

Sneak
2010-06-04, 02:02 PM
What's in a name? Vowels and consonants, one would hope.

BA-DUM KSHHHHHHH

Anyway, I joined the boards when I was 11 and was obsessed with rogues. Went for "Sneak."

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 02:03 PM
A combination of several factors, the first and largest of which being that I am a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, especially those involving the city guard. "The Watchman" is simply a nod to those books, particularly the scene in my signature, where Vimes's willpower is anthropomorphized in the form of a shadowy watchman to confront a possessor.
Secondly, I was promoted to admin of a small (very, very small) RPG forum, and figured that "The Watchman" was a username that fit my role, as I was the watchman for that community.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 02:03 PM
A combination of several factors, the first and largest of which being that I am a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, especially those involving the city guard. "The Watchman" is simply a nod to those books, particularly the scene in my signature, where Vimes's willpower is anthropomorphized in the form of a shadowy watchman to confront a possessor.
Secondly, I was promoted to admin of a small (very, very small) RPG forum, and figured that "The Watchman" was a username that fit my role, as I was the watchman for that community.

What forum? Is it still around?
-Xavez

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 02:06 PM
What forum? Is it still around?
-Xavez

KingdomRPG.com (http://www.kingdomrpg.com/). Sporting an active community of a whopping seven members! Whoo!

Zevox
2010-06-04, 02:11 PM
I made it up, basically. It was the name of a character in a story I wrote when I was in late High School (which I will say no more on), and it just so happened that the first time I started participating in something on the internet that required me to have a user name (the Wizards of the Coast forums) was during that period. Since then it has become my standard user name across the internet. On the rare occassion that I find it taken - which I think has only happened on Youtube and X-Box Live so far - I use "Zevox87" instead.

Zevox

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 02:11 PM
KingdomRPG.com (http://www.kingdomrpg.com/). Sporting an active community of a whopping seven members! Whoo!

Eight. I just joined.
-Xavez

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 02:16 PM
Eight. I just joined.
-Xavez

Cool. If you have any game you want to play that isn't on the site, just let me know and I'll add a forum section for it. Homebrew, official, whatever.

EDIT: Though posting is sporadic. Most of our members are college students, myself included, which means that we often have limited time for role-playing games. LoneGunman is an entry-level military guy as well, so he often disappears for weeks at a time for training.

Etcetera
2010-06-04, 02:17 PM
My name is the name of an insect, which had my special interest when I made the account. That's it basically.

When I by chance read about the Ichneumon in a book about Darwin, I thought
"Oh. That's where the nicknames' from"

I assumed it was some creature or character. But fact can be stranger than fiction.

Crown of Thorns is named after a starfish.

Atelm
2010-06-04, 02:18 PM
'Atelm' was the name intended for the primary antagonist of a fantasy short story I was writing back in and around '06. Said story later evolved into a full fledged novel-length story idea, which I've been writing on-off for years now. Interestingly, the name Atelm later shifted to be the main protagonist's name.

On another forum I use the username 'Goldsmith', which was inspired by a Magician of the same name from Umineko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umineko_no_Naku_Koro_ni).

Still on another forum, which I nowadays hardly ever post in, I use the username 'Reno (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks_%28Final_Fantasy_VII%29#Reno)'. A name that probably needs no introduction as to its origin, but in my defence back when I joined the place I was young[er] and [more] foolish.

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 02:18 PM

Do you go by "Ichneumonwasp" on any forums?

Cobalt
2010-06-04, 02:19 PM
I'm going to be lazy and quote myself from RPGuild.com:

Well, Jupiter is the element of wind in Golden Sun, which is my favorite RPG no matter what the hell comes out in the next decade, and Cobalt...Well Cobalt is just a type of rock.

Hence 'Flying Rock.' (The status under my name there is 'Flying Rock')

Though I did get the inspiration to use Cobalt when I was playing Space Empires IV; there’s a 'Cobalt Warhead' that you can put on your ships that explodes when it rams another ship. I kind of liked how it sounded.
So yeah. Flying Rock.

...My name is apparently mostly based off of a kamikaze tool in an old video game.

Which means that here it's entirely based off of a kamikaze tool in an old video game. Yay!

Octopus Jack
2010-06-04, 02:19 PM
My name is to do with this character I created last year called Jack.
A telekinetic, air breathing, talking Octopus. This is why I get secretly annoyed whenever anyone calls me Jack on forums as it is not actually my name :smallfurious:

Drakevarg
2010-06-04, 02:24 PM
Habit. I've been using this handle for about 12 years now. As for its origins;

"Psycho" is short for "Psychozilla". I'm a huge G-Fan, and Psychozilla was the first OC Kaiju I ever came up with. Basically Mechagodzilla, but with four arms, every weapon you can think of stuck somewhere on it, and completely berserk. Eventually I shortened it to "Psycho" since everyone called me that anyways. (Especially since I never actually USED Psychozilla on any of the Kaiju RPs I was on.)

Mystic Muse
2010-06-04, 02:30 PM
The Kyuubi from Naruto.

My original name "Theburningfields" was a reference to the dragon force song "Storming the burning fields"

Gamerlord
2010-06-04, 02:33 PM
A reference to part of my email account name I have had since I was little, and the fact I FRIGGIN LOVE GAMES!

Joran
2010-06-04, 02:34 PM
Joran was one of the previous hosts of the Dax symbiote in Deep Space Nine. I was looking for an obscure Star Trek name and Joran sounded cool. In the show, he was a murderer, mentally unstable, and a magician, none of which I am, but my icon is also his first appearance in the show. Apparently, a real life Joran is a serial killer... so that's interesting.

Previous, I was Banshee, which was a 95 ton mech in the Battletech Universe. However, it was often taken and generally had other meanings, so I went with Joran.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 02:34 PM
The Kyuubi from Naruto.

My original name "Theburningfields" was a reference to the dragon force song "Storming the burning fields"

So that's why your name sounds familiar.
-Xavez

Mystic Muse
2010-06-04, 02:36 PM
So that's why your name sounds familiar.
-Xavez

Yes.

And now that you know this I must eat you.

*Nomnomnom*

Mmmmmmmm. Crunchy.

arguskos
2010-06-04, 02:39 PM
http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardscans/MAGRAV/agrus_kos_wojek_veteran.jpg

If I have to explain how I got my name from that image, you have failed as a human being. :smalltongue:

Kumo
2010-06-04, 02:40 PM
The nickname i had with my former username. THAT username stemmed from an extreme interest in Naruto and the japanese language. I liked clouds at the time (a lot) so i used 'Kumo', which means 'clouds' and 'maru', which was used a lot for many of the characters. (i found out later it's put at the end of names to show the person is male) People started calling me 'Kumo' because it was easier and eventually i just dropped the 'maru' altogether.

The name i had on HERE (Kumosabe) was a pun on that username and the phrase 'Who's we, Kemosabe?' which my father uses a LOT. The last part of the above paragraph happened again.

Starscream
2010-06-04, 02:40 PM
My name symbolizes a robot who turns into a jet, fights another robot who turns into a truck, and plots to overthrow a robot who turns into a gun. And is voiced by Cobra Commander.

Yeah, I know: Deep.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 02:41 PM
Yes.

And now that you know this I must eat you.

*Nomnomnom*

Mmmmmmmm. Crunchy.

Ummm...

*hides from Kyuubi for a minute*

You're welcome.
-Xavez

Lyndworm
2010-06-04, 02:43 PM
http://www.rienkarrot.com/images/lindwyrm.jpg
My name is a reference to the mythical lindworm (or linnormr, or linnorm, or lindorm, or lindwurm, or lyndwyrm, etc...).

I truly love their look and the stories about them. I also enjoy tatzelwurms.

Mystic Muse
Ummm...

*hides from Kyuubi for a minute*

You're welcome.
-Xavez

*turns on X ray vision combined with true seeing combined with darkvision*

Come here little snack.:smallamused:

Darklord Xavez
My name symbolizes a robot who turns into a jet, fights another robot who turns into a truck, and plots to overthrow a robot who turns into a gun. And is voiced by Cobra Commander.

OH MY GOD COBRA COMMANDER!
http://www.teletoon.com/blogs/en/atnight/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/pacmancommander.jpg
You're welcome.

*turns on X ray vision combined with true seeing combined with darkvision*

Come here little snack.:smallamused:

*creeps forwards out of darkness*

Ummm... Hello?
-Xavez

Dvandemon
2010-06-04, 02:45 PM
Like I said

I don't really have a diiferent forum name (besides Dvander222 and something along the lines of TheGreat). So I might as well tell the origin of mine. My cousin's username in other areas was Dvander22 and so me, with my hurry to register used a pathetically uncreative variant. I chose demon because I just found out about Hellboy and was all *squee!*. Fun fact, my cousin's first name stars with a D and his middle name is Evander.Yeah, I'm lazy

Mystic Muse
2010-06-04, 02:49 PM
*creeps forwards out of darkness*

Ummm... Hello?
-Xavez

Aww. That's no fun.

*gives up trying to eat Xavez.*

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 02:51 PM
Aww. That's no fun.

*gives up trying to eat Xavez.*

NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM! *eats Kyuubi alive*
Yeah.:smallcool:
-Xavez

Pyrian
2010-06-04, 02:53 PM
If I have to explain how I got my name from that image, you have failed as a human being. :smalltongue:...Why'd the "r" wander? :smallconfused:

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 02:54 PM
...Why'd the "r" wander? :smallconfused:

You're right... Maybe it's like Cealocanth.
-Xavez

Mystic Muse
2010-06-04, 02:54 PM
NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM! *eats Kyuubi alive*
Yeah.:smallcool:
-Xavez

Yeah, that isn't going to happen.

How big are you?

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 02:56 PM
Yeah, that isn't going to happen.

BUTITALREADYDID!
-Xavez

Mystic Muse
2010-06-04, 02:59 PM
BUTITALREADYDID!
-Xavez

If it already did then I already ate you first. :smalltongue:

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 03:02 PM
All right, you win.

That's right I do.
-Xavez

Cobalt
2010-06-04, 03:02 PM
If it already did then I already ate you first. :smalltongue:

Quite clearly you've been eaten from the inside. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Dogmantra
2010-06-04, 03:03 PM
True story: I was about 11, obsessed with dogs, obsessed with men and also men that were also dogs. "Dogman" was too short or not snappy enough or something, so I randomly typed some keys. Dogmantra sounded nice. Mantra is also a word apparently.

The story that I retconned this to a couple of months ago: it's a portmanteau of Dogma and Mantra.

arguskos
2010-06-04, 03:04 PM
...Why'd the "r" wander? :smallconfused:
It's called a "typo that stuck". :smallcool:

The name came from me misspelling Agrus Kos as a kid. I always spelled it Argus Kos (a vestige of Dad's dyslexia, I think, since I do that fairly frequently). Eventually, I was looking for a new password, and arguskos just flowed well. From there, it became my username on the webernets.

Darklord Xavez
True story: I was about 11, obsessed with dogs, obsessed with men and also men that were also dogs. "Dogman" was too short or not snappy enough or something, so I randomly typed some keys. Dogmantra sounded nice. Mantra is also a word apparently.

The story that I retconned this to a couple of months ago: it's a portmanteau of Dogma and Mantra.

OH GOD! YOU SAID PORTMANTEAU! IT BURNS!
-Xavez

thubby
named after the greatest dnd character ever made. avatar too :P

Mystic Muse
Okay fine you win.
-Xavez

If you're cheating so can I.:smalltongue:

Cobalt
2010-06-04, 03:05 PM

The second one's more exciting for the grammar nerds. I say go with it.

Thajocoth
2010-06-04, 03:07 PM
Derivative of Thoth, the Egyptian ibis-headed god of knowledge (essentially). I wanted to make it unique and have more syllables, including an odd letter, like j, z, or x, so I inserted "ajoc" in the middle. The short version is Thaj. Phonetically: Tha-joe-cawth.

Darklord Xavez
I'm cheating.:smallbiggrin:

And I'm not.
-Xavez

Dogmantra
The second one's more exciting for the grammar nerds. I say go with it.

And if anyone is a grammar nerd, it's me, the one who wants to start a band named "Interroband‽"

EDIT: and a printing joke in his signature.

Jair Barik
http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardscans/MAGRAV/agrus_kos_wojek_veteran.jpg

If I have to explain how I got my name from that image, you have failed as a human being. :smalltongue:

Whats really cool about Kos is if you read the fiction behind him you find he is human. He isn't some vampire, or super creature he is incredibly human... which makes everything he does all the more awesome (I was awre that was the source of your name before hand :smallbiggrin:)

My own name is just a characters name from a D&D game.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 03:09 PM
Whats really cool about Kos is if you read the fiction behind him you find he is human. He isn't some vampire, or super creature he is incredibly human... which makes everything he does all the more awesome (I was aware that was the source of your name before hand :smallbiggrin:)

Yeah. That's why I think the books are so awesome. Agrus is like batman without the costume.
-Xavez

Cobalt
2010-06-04, 03:10 PM
Yeah. That's why I think the books are so awesome. Agrus is like batman without the costume.
-Xavez

Batman is like Batman without the costume. :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 03:12 PM
Batman is like Batman without the costume. :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

No, Bruce Wayne is batman without the costume.
-Xavez

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-04, 03:15 PM
The Rose Dragon is the title of Prince Jin Lung, betrayer to the throne. It signifies three things: that Jin Lung is beautiful, that Jin Lung is dangerous and that Jin Lung is kin to mortal dragons.

KilltheToy
2010-06-04, 03:17 PM
My name is an anagram of Hello Kitty. I thought it was deliciously ironic.

Hello Kitty

Kill tHe toy.

It can also become "holy elk tit", if you prefer :smalltongue:.

Thajocoth
2010-06-04, 03:17 PM
No, Bruce Wayne is batman without the costume.
-Xavez

Well, Batman is LIKE Batman without the costume, which is what he said. The only difference is a costume and a few gadgets.

Drakevarg
2010-06-04, 03:23 PM
Well, Batman is LIKE Batman without the costume, which is what he said. The only difference is a costume and a few gadgets.

That, and the ammount of control criminals have over their bladders in his presence.

Cobalt
2010-06-04, 03:23 PM

I can see this conversation heading towards a trio of paradoxes soon. Let's get back to what people's names mean before all of our heads collectively 'splode.

Mauve Shirt
2010-06-04, 03:28 PM
I hit "random" on TV tropes to get my username. Follow the link beneath the banner in my signature for the page if you don't know what it means.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-04, 03:33 PM
And I'm not.
-Xavez

Fine. I cast contingincied wish to bring me back. I then cast wish to kill you and gate in a Solar just in case.

Adumbration
2010-06-04, 03:40 PM
Adumbration - by the dictionary definition - means... Well, turns out, it's a pretty multipurpose word for foreshadowing or a prediction or a sketchy or faint representation.

The truth is I didn't even know those connotation back when I chose this name. As I recall, I was twiddling my thumbs thinking up a name for these forums, and happened to remember a short story from the anthology Mammoth Book of Sorceror's tales. It was a story of two mages, a master and an apprentice who happened on a bit of ancient magic that created a second shadow to them, which slowly approached the real shadow, and agonizingly killed and reanimated them as some sort of zombies. It was a bit more epic than you might think from that description - it was quite a good writer, with very embellished language.

In the story, the second shadow was called an adumbration. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. :smallwink:

Starscream
2010-06-04, 03:47 PM
I hit "random" on TV tropes to get my username. Follow the link beneath the banner in my signature for the page if you don't know what it means.

I like this method. Now I want to name myself...*Click*...Dr. Jerk.

That's actually a pretty cool name. Sounds like a minor supervillain that ambushes the heroes and then merely insults their costume choices or implies that they have gained weight.

Cobalt
2010-06-04, 04:04 PM

That's actually a pretty cool name. Sounds like a minor supervillain that ambushes the heroes and then merely insults their costume choices or implies that they have gained weight.

And we have, like, three Dr. Somethings here already, so you'd be in good company.

EDIT: Mine's Hideous Hangover Cure. Which may or may not be fitting. I will say no more.

Dogmantra
2010-06-04, 04:07 PM
I got Brian Dobson, Misplaced Nationalism and Mystery Magnet.

They'd all make okay names.

Xyk
2010-06-04, 04:16 PM
Mine is just a name I use for games. Another one I often use is "Fharobi". Early in my time here, I discovered that it's also the first part of Xykon and was nominated for Xykon in the playground.

pinwiz
2010-06-04, 04:28 PM
I really like the song "Pinball Wizard" by The Who.

I also despise capitals..... :smalltongue:

Teddy
2010-06-04, 04:31 PM
Mine is based on my name (Björn, which is the Swedish word for bear), and the fact that I really like cuddle toys (I'm 18, and my bed is filled with them. Seriously).

Teddy is usually taken wherever I go, so I tend to use Teddia in most places where a username is needed (It originated as the name of the Capitol in the Teddian Republic, which is what I tend to name my Civilization IV empires). I'm not totally sure wether I'm really satisfied with it or not, but it's personal and seldom taken, so I stick to it.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 04:36 PM
I'm going to get back on track now.

As will I.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. :smallwink:

G.I. Joe!
-Xavez

Blue Ghost
2010-06-04, 04:41 PM
The story behind my name? A long story, involving a blue cloth, a cult, and a mad quest for revenge...

Jair Barik
2010-06-04, 04:44 PM
What's in a name? A miserable pile of secrets. But enough talk, have at you!

That was my first reaction to the thread title. Randomly flipping TV tropes for a name I got 2 tropers names, Trope (seriously), Charmed (the series) and Futurama (the series). Huh.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-04, 04:56 PM
I got (for the random Tvtropes thingy), in this order:

Everything's Better With Llamas
Hero Stole My Bike
Mirror Match
Give My Regards In The Next World
Mad Scientist
Double Take
Villain With Good Publicity
Most Common Super Power
Soon I Will Be Invincible
Lawful Evil

Numbers 1, 2, 5, 7, 9, and 10 fit me surprisingly well. Numbers 3, 4, and 6 don't really fit me that much. Number 8 does not fit me well AT ALL, considering my gender.

The story behind my name? A long story, involving a blue cloth, a cult, and a mad quest for revenge...

Please elaborate...
-Xavez

Quincunx
2010-06-04, 05:04 PM
I needed to consolidate five usernames and enjoy obscure vocabulary. The variant definitions and I have. . .merged, over time.

Superglucose
2010-06-04, 05:06 PM
Superglucose...

Well in 9th grade biology, we had to do a lab where we assembled models of molecules. Unsurprisingly, my group was done in 15 minutes... of an hour long lab. So one of my friends (the guy who got me into D&D) says, "You know, Galactose sounds like a great name for a supervillain." So we started talking, and it became Superglucose, twin brother of Galactose (they were born from a lactose molecule that got digested, the evil went to galactose and the good went to glucose) and his young ward Fructose fighting against the evil Galactose for dominance of... well a cell.

ninjalemur
2010-06-04, 05:07 PM
I started using ninjalemur about five years ago because lemurs were my favorite animal and I though a lemur that was also a ninja would be just about the coolest thing ever (and still do).

Scoot
2010-06-04, 05:45 PM
Scoot rush.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3602/3292575786_24a7a6c19c_o.jpg

arguskos
2010-06-04, 05:45 PM
I needed to consolidate five usernames and enjoy obscure vocabulary. The variant definitions and I have. . .merged, over time.
That reminds me. What happened to V? I recall at some point there was a name there, but now it's just a --. :smallconfused:

Teddy
2010-06-04, 05:46 PM
Superglucose...

Well in 9th grade biology, we had to do a lab where we assembled models of molecules. Unsurprisingly, my group was done in 15 minutes... of an hour long lab. So one of my friends (the guy who got me into D&D) says, "You know, Galactose sounds like a great name for a supervillain." So we started talking, and it became Superglucose, twin brother of Galactose (they were born from a lactose molecule that got digested, the evil went to galactose and the good went to glucose) and his young ward Fructose fighting against the evil Galactose for dominance of... well a cell.

Heh, that's pretty similar to how my thought patterns went when I learned about it. Then, later that evening, we played Battlestar Galactica, the board game, at the gaming club. I barely restrained myself from making bad jokes.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-04, 05:57 PM
Went to TV Tropes: First got Channel 101, then contini¡uity announcement and last Kamen Rider Dragon Knight (Last one isn't bad)

As for name, I got the first part from my favorite D&D character I have created, and I don'r actually remember where I got eclipse from...

Prime32
2010-06-04, 06:17 PM
contini¡uityWhat is that letter you put there?

Zordrath
2010-06-04, 06:28 PM
Tvtropes gave me Most Definitely Not A Villain, which I'd use in a heartbeat if it weren't a tad long for a name.

Zordrath doesn't really have much of a deeper meaning. I made the name up a few years for a Fantasy character I wanted to write about, though the story never really went anywhere. The name stuck, however, since I liked the sound of it, and I sometimes use it as my username on Fantasy themed sites. If it's not Zordrath, it's usually Froody, from the Hitchhiker's Guide.

Weezer
2010-06-04, 06:35 PM
Mines a nickname I used to have. When I would run or laugh really, really hard I would start wheezing due to asthma. People found it quite amusing and went to great lengths to get me to wheeze and started calling me weezer. I got used to it and when I started on the internet I went with that.

TV Tropes gave me High Hopes Zero Talent which would be a pretty good name if not for the length which is a bit much for a forum.

Dvandemon
2010-06-04, 06:46 PM
Mine is just a name I use for games. Another one I often use is "Fharobi". Early in my time here, I discovered that it's also the first part of Xykon and was nominated for Xykon in the playground.

I'm all for it. It sound like Xykon and "Psych!" put together

It can also become "holy elk tit", if you prefer :smalltongue:.

Best. Cleric. Euphemism. Ever
EDIT: mind if I sig that?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-04, 06:50 PM
What is that letter you put there?

I am not sure... guess it was a typo

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-06-04, 06:55 PM
Altair is very nearly actually my name, and it's a significant star, and it's the name of first ever home computer (which came in a box of PCBs and chips that you had to assemble yourself - and it did nothing interesting until someone came up with a program to make a few lights flash...)

I was vexed by certain online email hosts have already assigned my first choice of name.

Elfin
2010-06-04, 06:57 PM

"Children of the Red King".

Next...

Cobalt
2010-06-04, 07:01 PM
I am not sure... guess it was a typo

I Google searched it. It actually fades as it gets higher.

I am scared. And there is no one to hold me.

EDIT: Also, instead of searching the whole word, it cuts off the end past the freaky letter. So, instead of contini¡uity, it looks up contini. Huh.

Quincunx
2010-06-04, 07:02 PM
That reminds me. What happened to V? I recall at some point there was a name there, but now it's just a --. :smallconfused:

Character limits in the signature. All the names were sacrificed to suit it. (Archetype Five wasn't fleshed out anyway.)

Timberwolf
2010-06-04, 07:07 PM
Timberwolf - Well, I love the Battletech universe and its mechs. The Timberwolf is my joint favourite (see mech in sig). These days I tend to operate off Wolfie though, it's shorter.

pinwiz
2010-06-04, 07:13 PM
What is that letter you put there?

It kinda looks like an upside down exclamation point.

Savannah
2010-06-04, 07:17 PM
Both my name and my avatar were my character in a GURPS game based on the old Shadowrun computer game. Savannah is my user name on almost all the forums I'm a member of for a number of reasons:
1) Savannah was a hacker, and therefore it amused me to use her name for anything to do with computers.
2) Savannah was not actually my character's real name, although it was the name she went by (long story), so it fit as it's not my real name either.
3) It was the only game that I've been in that went to its full, planned, end. That was awesome and I want to remember that.
4) I like the way it looks/sounds.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-06-04, 07:22 PM
Oh I love doing this!

The first ever name I chose on the internet was Thrall of Dor Lomin, from the Silmarillion, and i still think Thrall is an awesome name.

Gwyn ap Nud was a character in a book i read once, and i thought it sounded cool. Then i decided to change it to the current because Gwyn ap Nud didn't really MEAN anything, while Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll means "Light of the Dark" in Welsh, which I think is deliciously poetic, especially because both Gwyn and Gwyll start with Gwy.

Faceist
2010-06-04, 07:28 PM
Like racism, but for faces. Faceism.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-04, 07:30 PM
It kinda looks like an upside down exclamation point.

Now that you mention it ¡.... yep that is an upside down exclamantion marl (used in spanish like ¡this!...why I don't know....)

ApeofLight
2010-06-04, 08:02 PM
I'm an ape of light. Nuff said.

Also I use it for pretty much everything else.

Lioness
2010-06-04, 08:18 PM
Mine's after Alanna in Tamora Pierce's books. I started using it as a name when I joined the interwebs in 2005 - they were my favourite book series at the time. It's stuck.

Lyinginbedmon
2010-06-04, 08:49 PM
Mine is one of my favourite pastimes and was created during the Digimon craze section of my childhood, I've stuck with it ever since.

dromer
2010-06-04, 08:50 PM
I happened to be a big fan of the Drome racers series (and the online game version of it) when I had to first pick my username. The Drome online game frequently featured a large number of bots whose names were dronen4567 or droninator566 or some variant. Instead of picking a common name with a couple of numbers behind it, I chose 'dromer4ever', which shortened later to dromer. Also, apparently it's dreamer another language, which I learned last year.
Also I sometimes pick the name Smaug when I beta test games.

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-04, 08:59 PM
It sounded cool.

Dvandemon
2010-06-04, 10:02 PM
Also, apparently it's dreamer another language, which I learned last year.

That's why that monster was named like that in Discworld

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-06-04, 10:10 PM
That's why that monster was named like that in Discworld

In Discworld, there`s always a reason, no matter how obscure.

Pheehelm
2010-06-04, 10:35 PM
I'm kinda reluctant to say because I've been hoping someone would be all "Oh I just realized where your username is from that is so cool" and we'd be best friends forever and ever and if it was a girl we'd fall in love and get married and have eighty kids and I have their names picked out and everything but okay here:
It's from Beyond Zork, a game I'm quite fond of. The Pheehelm is a helmet that raises the player character's intelligence and gives adequate clairvoyance to battle grues in pitch blackness. My signature text is slightly modified from the old woman's description of it.

I picked it because first, I like the game, second, it's a subtle reference to my actual name, third, it tickles my ego to name myself after an intelligence-boosting item.

arguskos
2010-06-04, 11:16 PM
gives adequate clairvoyance to battle grues in pitch blackness
HERESY! :smallfurious: GRUES CANNOT BE FOUGHT!! It is a natural law! Grues eat PCs, it's how it works. You have defiled the natural order, and must be burned at the stake (or thrown into the darkness to be eaten by a grue)!

Pheehelm
2010-06-04, 11:37 PM
For the record, you can only fight them in the final cave. You put the Pheehelm on and walk around in the basement of Ye Rusty Lantern, you get eaten without warning.

And if you think that's extreme, you can actually see one and get a full physical description in Zork: The Undiscovered Underground.

arguskos
2010-06-04, 11:40 PM
Zork: The Undiscovered Underground.
ABSOLUTELY NOT DAMMIT! :smallfurious: What happened to the original, where grues were bad, and messing with them=loldead? :smallfrown:

Pheehelm
2010-06-04, 11:46 PM
Messing with them? More like:
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ga/1996/ga960726.gif

Ravens_cry
2010-06-05, 12:04 AM
Ravens cry started as a screen name on a Teen Titans message board. I was going through the goth/poet/emo stage of existence, and Ravens Cry sounded all poetical and also expressed my fandom for that lovely lady of reluctant darkness, Raven from the aforementioned Teen Titans.
Beast Boy + Raven 4ever! *squee*
Yes, I admit it's more then a little pretentious, but that's who I am, a wordy git who admires the sound of their own thoughts.
I also greatly admire the more intelligent creatures on creation, squid, humans, and yes, ravens and other corvids. So they name stuck from message board to message board. There are three forums I am active in to this day that have, in various formats, this as my chosen nom de plume.

TSGames
2010-06-05, 12:24 AM
My name is a tanru metaphor.

Gadora
2010-06-05, 01:35 AM
Gadora was the first character in NetHack that I got to the amulet. Also, the first of my NetHack characters to die on the Astral Plane after checking two of the altars.

Gadora was named Gadora, because I had the television on in the background when I was naming the character and I heard something that sounded sort of like Gadora.

You see Thagana down in my signature? She was very nearly named Gadora due to the fact that they are/were both Valkyries.

Tyrandar
2010-06-05, 01:37 AM
It was a name I came up with for a character I RPed a few years back.

Salbazier
2010-06-05, 02:13 AM
A charater's name in a story i made (complete: Ramiel Salbazier). Previously, a sword's name.

It just a random word. Several years ago I used that on some site and it stuck.
Including this, I have three common usernames around the net.

It's called a "typo that stuck". :smallcool:

The name came from me misspelling Agrus Kos as a kid. I always spelled it Argus Kos (a vestige of Dad's dyslexia, I think, since I do that fairly frequently). Eventually, I was looking for a new password, and arguskos just flowed well. From there, it became my username on the webernets.

I also always misread that. It not until I read Dissension (only recently) I realized that it is Agrus not Argus :smallsigh:

Ichneumon
2010-06-05, 02:16 AM
Do you go by "Ichneumonwasp" on any forums?

Ehm, sometimes, but if Ichneumon is taken I usually take Ichneumonfly, instead of Ichneumonwasp, so likely that will be somebody else.

Serpentine
2010-06-05, 02:24 AM
Way back in high school, on a long car trip we passed a sign that pointed to a town called Serpentine. It struck me as a beautiful word. I was, and am, a lover of snakes and reptiles, and that sort of motion, and so on. It became the default name for the protaganist of the stories I made up in my head. Annnd... now it's the pseudonym I use everywhere and is about as much my name as the one on my birth certificate.

Reshbj
2010-06-05, 04:19 AM
My name is a name passed down from the Reshbj before me, from the Reshbj before them, who got it by hitting the keyboard in frustration. The Reshbj before me was a gamer, and the original was an anime fan. The current one mainly just lurks.

Setra
2010-06-05, 05:20 AM
My username was something I created as a child.

The 'Setra' were a race of Alien Magi.

As I grew up I changed the story quite heavily (among other things, the Setra are now dragons), but it was always 'my' story, if you will, so it's something that stuck to me. When I first started getting into online RP, I used a 'Setra' as my first character.

Generally I prefer 'Setra' as my username, but it seems other people came up with the exact same name as me, so it's rarely available :smallfrown:

As far as any meaning behind the name, I guess it would be something along the lines of "I like my stories, and I like dragons" :smalltongue:

A couple birthdays ago my father got me a cake reading Setra. I was simultaneously happy and sad.

Stadge
2010-06-05, 07:36 AM
Mine comes from the name given to me by my old rugby league team. There was already a lad with the same first name on the team, so I was known by my surname.
Then someone decided to shorten Statter to Stadge and it just kind of stuck.

MikoROCKS
2010-06-05, 09:16 AM
Er.... Because Miko is amazing! :smallwink:

John Cribati
2010-06-05, 09:29 AM
My name is the scientific name for the mongoose family. It's the one animal I associate with Jamaica more than any other. And yes, I am Jamaican.

deuxhero
2010-06-05, 09:32 AM
A name is a cloak of letters thrown upon a man. It means nothing.

Serpentine
2010-06-05, 09:32 AM
I've probably asked this before, but is it odd that I love snakes, and am favourably disposed towards the things that kill them? I love mongeese, too, and kookaburras...

fetfet
2010-06-05, 09:48 AM
Oh man. I actually chose "thelizard" because I had no idea what to call myself. I've changed usernames over and over again through the years, and on other forums, I use "fetfet". It's so easy to type! I love it. In fact I might be changing it soon.

Setra
2010-06-05, 09:51 AM
I've probably asked this before, but is it odd that I love snakes, and am favourably disposed towards the things that kill them? I love mongeese, too, and kookaburras...
I don't see it being that odd myself, but I may not be the best person to ask on this subject.

I love cows, and find them quite cute (moreso than dogs or cats), but I still eat beef.

ForzaFiori
2010-06-05, 10:58 AM
I recently explain in the The Names Are Changing thread, but I'll do it again.

Last name: Fiori. Fiori is "flowers" in Italian. a few years ago, my friends found that out, and started calling me "flower power" cause I have long hair, and everyone thinks I'm a hippy. Figuring everything is cooler translated back into Italian, I made a horribly translated nickname of ForzaFiori, which I think technically means "force of flowers" or something, but is close enough

Dvandemon
2010-06-05, 11:06 AM
Wow, that sounds really beautiful/
"Use the forza. The Forza Fiori" Sorry, couldn't resist :smalltongue:

The Demented One
2010-06-05, 11:11 AM
I was twelve years old and thought it sounded super awesome. :smallannoyed:

pinwiz
2010-06-05, 11:23 AM

It might be odd, but at least you can enjoy the epic Mongoose v. Cobra battles more than the rest of us. :smallcool: seriously, they're pretty cool.

Ichneumon
2010-06-05, 11:30 AM
I like mongooses too, btw.:smallcool:

Dogmantra
2010-06-05, 11:33 AM
I like mongooses too, btw.:smallcool:

I totally think the plural should be "mongeese".

GrlumpTheElder
2010-06-05, 11:43 AM
Me?

Grlump The Elder, my one and only DnD character...

PersonMan
2010-06-05, 11:59 AM
I usually use 'scarge' which I came up with at age 10 because it sounded cool.

PersonMan was just a sort of...quasi-witty thing I thought of when I signed up here.

arguskos
2010-06-05, 12:30 PM
I was twelve years old and thought it sounded super awesome. :smallannoyed:
Succeeded. :smallcool:

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-05, 02:08 PM
Timberwolf - Well, I love the Battletech universe and its mechs. The Timberwolf is my joint favourite (see mech in sig). These days I tend to operate off Wolfie though, it's shorter.

I'm more of a one for Warhammer IIC, but Timber Wolf is still good. Nice name.

@Fascist: you too.
-Xavez

Dancing_Zephyr
2010-06-05, 05:19 PM
I liked the word zephyr, but as a username it was taken so I added dancing to the front for it to become a playful breeze. Oddly enough I'm not a big fan of dancing.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-05, 05:24 PM
I got mine from a character in Watchmen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqRrpzPcNfs)

Eloi
2010-06-05, 05:31 PM
Eloi is the name of the Catholic Saint venerated on my birthday, with a cool French name with medieval, French, and Catholic connotations. I thought it was suiting of a "Fantasy" type 'setting' of forum.

Kallisti
2010-06-05, 05:51 PM
Kallisti, or more properly καλλίστῃ, is Greek for "To the fairest," and was the inscription on the Golden Apple. Sadly, forums never seem able to render the Greek characters.

Malfunctioned
2010-06-05, 05:55 PM
Mine was from a nickname I got in my GCSE Electronics classes due to my unfortunate habit of accidentally destroying almost every circuit I worked on, most people had no idea what I had done wrong so they decided it was actually me that was causing the problems. So I was the Malfunction. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2010-06-05, 10:32 PM
It might be odd, but at least you can enjoy the epic Mongoose v. Cobra battles more than the rest of us. :smallcool: seriously, they're pretty cool.And how! :smallbiggrin:
Actually, I think it might've started with a short story I read once, about a cobra infiltrating a house, and the mongoose the owners got to defend the place (especially the baby, I believe) from it. Now that was an epic battle. I think it's a fairly famous one, or at least the author, but I can't remember now...

Partof1
2010-06-05, 10:58 PM
Another typo that stuck.

Way back when, when I first introduced myself to internet forumming, I joined the wizrds forums, for Star Wars Miniatures. As it was, I had no internet-going friends on that site, so I was a Party of 1. Well, I typo-ed, and didn't consider remaking the account to fix it. As time went on, I joined other SWM boards, and kept it for consistency. Like a silent plague, the name grew on me, in me, among me, so I could not choose another name any more than I could try to trade a foot with somone.

I am Partof1 in several places, and I have yet to encounter another, so if you see me, shoot me a message.

Savannah
2010-06-05, 11:03 PM
Actually, I think it might've started with a short story I read once, about a cobra infiltrating a house, and the mongoose the owners got to defend the place (especially the baby, I believe) from it. Now that was an epic battle. I think it's a fairly famous one, or at least the author, but I can't remember now...

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi by Rudyard Kipling?

Serpentine
2010-06-05, 11:24 PM
I... do believe it is :smallconfused: Ta :smallbiggrin:

KamenRiderFaiz
2010-06-06, 12:44 PM
Got my name from good old tv. Kamen rider Faiz, or kamen rider 555, is my favorite kamen rider.

Szilard
2010-06-06, 12:57 PM
Mine is just my first name, which has some history itself, but none of that went into making up the username. I went with my name because it's easy to remember and no one else had it.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-08, 08:49 AM
Got my name from good old tv. Kamen rider Faiz, or kamen rider 555, is my favorite kamen rider.

I think Kamen Rider is a bit on the strange side.
-Xavez

Eloel
2010-06-08, 09:01 AM
First name: Özgün
Birth year: 1992

Now, take a guess on where my name came off of.

onthetown
2010-06-08, 09:05 AM
I recently changed my username, so I guess I've got two explanations.

"Riyoukaze" was the name of my character's family katana in a far east FR campaign, centered around Kozakura (thus, it wasn't really the Forgotten Realms anymore, but you get the point). I kind of liked it and it made sense to me to sign up for a D&D-based comic's forum with something that had come from D&D.

My horse's registered name is On The Town (we just call him Gus around the barn). I adopted "onthetown" as an internet handle a year or two ago, partly because I love my horse and partly because I think it makes an awesome handle.

Errandir
2010-06-08, 09:16 AM
Errandir means "alone-wanderer" in Quenya.

Or that was the idea. At any rate, I like the sound of it.

Kcalehc
2010-06-08, 09:49 AM
My first character in Everquest was a good aligned warrior named: Chelack. I decided to make a counterpart dark elven evil warrior, and simply reversed the spelling of the name (sometime back in 2000 I think it was); and so Kcalehc was born.

I've used it on and off in various places since then.

Pink
2010-06-08, 12:16 PM
My original internet nickname was pink_lugia, picked a very very very long time ago when in a pokemon chat room, as a joke when trying to find a name combination involving 'lugia' that wasn't claimed. I started exploring the internet and continued to use it, partly because I was 100% sure it was a name that would never be claimed already. I've since started to switch towards either just Pink or The Pink One or some variant as my connection with pokemon faded, or just using my last name in some variant if I'm comfortable. But Pink is nice and simple and memorable, though not as unclaimed as pink_lugia, and I've grown to associate myself with it.

As to why the original lugia part? Lugia is awesome.

The_JJ
2010-06-08, 02:36 PM
My screen name is an abreviated derivation of an embarrassing childhood nickname revived freshmen year of high school by a childhood best friend's big sister (ergo surrogate big sister to me.)

Since this was a high school sports team, everyone got nicknames that stuck. Mine was unique, but not the worst.

We had Yak, Spew, ****, Scarecrow, Snowflake, Minty, German, British, Kevin Lee (never Kevin, also used as in 'that goal was very Kevin Lee/Kevinly'), Hair, Socks, Boobs/Uberboobs/the Booberback, Sea Bass, the Beastman, Dr. Dangles, and Godchild.

Jokasti
2010-06-08, 02:50 PM
Also, apparently, Jocasta is the mother (and wife squick) of Oedipus in Oedipus Rex. No relation.

Cobalt
2010-06-08, 03:36 PM
We had Yak, Spew, ****, Scarecrow, Snowflake, Minty, German, British, Kevin Lee (never Kevin, also used as in 'that goal was very Kevin Lee/Kevinly'), Hair, Socks, Boobs/Uberboobs/the Booberback, Sea Bass, the Beastman, Dr. Dangles, and Godchild.

I'm afraid to ask questions about so, so many of those. But I want to...

Lateral
2010-06-08, 03:46 PM
I made this one up on the fly since my usual username was taken. It sounds stupid. Once I've been here for 6 months I'll change it to something less stupid.

The_JJ
2010-06-08, 04:13 PM
I'm afraid to ask questions about so, so many of those. But I want to...

Let's see...

Yak and Spew yaked/spewed on their first day of conditioning. Yay running 'til you puke! Yay never living it down for your entire high school life! It got so bad Yak was Yak even to his mom.

**** was a Richard.

"Hey there Richard..."
"..."
"..."
"We now have an excuse to shout **** all up and down the field."
"Yep."

Sunshine was blonde.

Scarecrow just looked the part.

Minty... just happened.

Hollywood was... Hollywood.

British was British, and shared a name with a team mate so we called him 'British Name' and... yeah.

Then German came along and was all German sooo...

Kevin Lee (Keh-vuhn LEE) had a brother, David Lee. We just... always used their last names too.

Hair had an Afro.

Socks wore mismatched colorful socks to practice.

Boobs etc. had the wonderful last name of Bubernack, and was also another kid with the same first name as another kid on the team. Then... well, yeah.

Sea Bass was a Sebastian.

Beastman had a rhyming last name and so became "First Name 'the Beastman' Last Name-eastman"

Dr. Dangles liked to use the term 'dangle' to describe his footwork. 'I dangled the ball out there and he bit on the fake' then it became an instruction 'Dude, dangle it!' then a warcry/celebration 'aaaahhhhhHHH DANGLES!' then a name.

And Godchild looked like a little cherub. When he wasn't shoulder checking forwards two feet taller than him off the ball.

And this is, of course, the edited list. There were a fair few less appropriate names, and quite a few shortenings, intentional mispronunciations, etc of the real names.

Pyrian
2010-06-08, 04:16 PM
...Sea Bass...Mutant killer sea bass. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: My theory was better. :smallconfused:

Deadly
2010-06-08, 04:46 PM
Like most of the names I've used here and elsewhere, Deadly originated as the name of a character, in this case an old Town character.

The name "Deadly Raccoon" came to me through the misheard lyrics of a song. I thought it sounded like "...a deadly raccoon..." (I later learned that it was in fact "a deadly black hole") and figured I could make an awesome character out of that. And thus was born Deadly Raccoon aka Andrew D. **** - a young boy in a raccoons body with a serious case of split personality, far too much psionic power for his own good and the stolen powers of the raccoonish god of death to boot. Somehow he also gained an obsession with muffins, and was followed by a pet raccoon named Muffin Raccoon (possibly a figment of his own imagination, since he supposedly inhabited the original Muffin's dead body... or something). I still don't know how the muffin obsession ever came about, but it lead to him losing his powers of Death and becoming the god of muffins and other baked goods instead.

Later on he sort of evolved into some sort of multi-faceted Lovecraftian eldritch horror. A sort of puppeteer with countless personalities and bodies all across the planes.

The original idea was pretty silly and not at all serious (it was in the olden days of The Town, after all), but the name stuck and the character evolved in unimaginable ways. He is still in my mind from time to time... or perhaps I in his.

Orzel
2010-06-08, 05:26 PM
The last name of a series of RPG characters I created, Jonjunior Orzel. Actually he's actually his own race.

Orzel's mom asked his father what his son's name should be. The indecisive father said Jon Jr. (after himself) or Zel (the name of a destroyed town). The stupid town scribe (The stupid DM) recorded Jonjunior Orzel as his name. Orzel grew up and killed the scribe.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-08, 05:28 PM
Sunshine was blonde.

Like in Remember the Titans?:smallbiggrin:
-Xavez

The_JJ
2010-06-08, 05:29 PM
Like in Remember the Titans?:smallbiggrin:
-Xavez

That was indeed the reference, yes.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-08, 05:40 PM
That was indeed the reference, yes.

Yay! That's a great movie!
-Xavez

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-06-08, 09:41 PM
Also, apparently, Jocasta is the mother (and wife squick) of Oedipus in Oedipus Rex. No relation.

I always think this when I see your name.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-08, 10:21 PM
Way back in high school, on a long car trip we passed a sign that pointed to a town called Serpentine. It struck me as a beautiful word. I was, and am, a lover of snakes and reptiles, and that sort of motion, and so on. It became the default name for the protaganist of the stories I made up in my head. Annnd... now it's the pseudonym I use everywhere and is about as much my name as the one on my birth certificate.

It's also a creature in Book of Erotic Fantasy

Eloi
2010-06-08, 10:23 PM
It's also a creature in Book of Erotic Fantasy

One of my favorites, incidentally.

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-08, 10:58 PM
Mine is my hope on how Belkar ultimately will die. Most funny and climactic. :belkar:

HalfTangible
2010-09-15, 08:38 PM
I play world of warcraft and i am OBSESSED with netherwing dragons. But whenever i tried nether or netherwing it was taken. So i decided to reference the fact that they are only half material, but tangible sounded cooler to me.

Tirian
2010-09-15, 08:57 PM
Rikki-Tikki-Tavi by Rudyard Kipling?

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CrEX4MxAzA).

There, that's better. Enjoy it, it's the most awesome thing that Chuck Jones ever did and that's saying quite a bit.

For myself, I borrowed my nickname from the Last King of Narnia, and use it online wherever I am able.

Marillion
2010-09-15, 11:29 PM
I saw Marillion the bard when I first read through a George R.R Martin book, and said to myself "Huh. That's a kinda cool name." and promptly forgot about it.

Then I was introduced to Marillion the band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaBjdLQ0LJ0) and said to myself "That's an awesome name. I'm making it mine."

And then I re-read A Song of Ice and Fire and came across Marillion once more and said to myself "This is fate!"

Skeppio
2010-09-15, 11:44 PM
I got mine off a freeware RPG maker from dosgames.com, years and years ago. It was one of the sample characters. The other was Rathmara, which is also a pretty cool fantasy name.
It's funny, a lot of people think it's a reference to Spekkio from Chrono Trigger, but I hadn't heard of the game until years after I took the name Skeppio.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-18, 09:51 PM
cynical avocado.... because i am cynical and i love avocados (plus it was either this or misanthropic kumquat)

Eldonauran
2010-09-21, 07:53 PM
Hmm. I haven't thought about it in quiet a while.

It was the name of my first D&D character. An Elven Sorcerer. I was a bit of a logophile during my early teen years and delved into Old English to find a suitable name that had links the the elves.

Elden \e-lden, el-den\ is of Old English origin, and the meaning of Elden is "Ella's hill". Also variant of Alden (Old English) "old friend". Also possibly means "valley of the elves".

Eldon came from this word. Elven -> Elden -> Eldon. Yes! That looks masculine enough! Auran was simply borrowed from the language of the air elemental plane. Though I came to it round-a-bout.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-21, 08:00 PM
A spoof of the Billy Joel song the "Downeaster Alexa" in the song he says "Tell my wife I am trolling Atlantis."

Also, Atlantis rocks and you fight Trolls in D&D.

RebelRogue
2010-09-21, 10:10 PM
Mine is named after my first 3.5 character who was... wait for it... a rogue. Of rebellious persuasion.

Lord Raziere
2010-09-21, 11:40 PM
My name is my name. I made it up. It sounds cool.

Cool names have power and my name is powerful indeed.

The_Admiral
2010-09-22, 04:13 AM
My name is because one of my friends called me that and it stuck

ghost_warlock
2010-09-22, 08:54 AM
As I've noted in the previous incarnations of this thread, my screen name is a combination of who I was back in high school and then in college.

"ghost" because I was pretty much a non-entity in high school. I didn't interact much with the living back then other than brief hauntings.

"warlock" because, during my first years of college, someone noted my resemblance to Julian Sands in the movie Warlock. The nickname stuck and became widely used by a subpopulation at the school (mostly the hipster-type people who use nicknames/call signs like that).

I've been going by ghost_warlock on the net for over a decade so it's pretty much my online identity these days. Almost all the results of a Google search for 'ghost_warlock' are me.

Christopher K.
2010-09-22, 01:03 PM
Hi, my name's Christopher. Nothing special here.

Project_Mayhem
2010-09-22, 01:08 PM
I'd love to tell you, but the first rule forbids me

Admiral Squish
2010-09-22, 01:17 PM
Well, originally, my handles was capitan squish. Yes, spelled wrong, I know. But it was mine. I went through a couple usernames. Many Shades of Gray, Living in Cyn, Exos Integros... But I always came back to capitan squish. Eventually, I got banned on another forum as Capitan Squish, so I made a new account by the name of Admiral Squish, you know, giving myself a little upgrade. And it';s stuck ever since. Most folk just call me squish or squishy.

I think the original reasoning was that I squished people, so it was like 'colonel pain' or something.

Concrete
2010-09-22, 01:52 PM
I don't know really...
It's an ugly material, often used to build ugly things. It doesn't bend, it breaks. It is not noticed, it merely holds up what is noticed. But it is there. It is the canvas of artists, and the walls we hide behind. It is the sidewalk under your feet, and the foundation of your house. It is stone, molded by man, it cracks and decays in such beautiful ways, and it is a strangely appealing word.
But still, I don't know why I chose to use it as a name.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2010-09-22, 02:01 PM
Mine is poor expatriate's Finnish for "Songs of emptyness" or "songs of desolation."

thorgrim29
2010-09-22, 02:22 PM
Mine come from warhammer (Thorgrim Grudgebearer High King of the Dwarven Empire) as I had just started playing the game when I first used the Internet significantly. The 29 is just because there was already a Thorgrim and I wanted something more unique then Thorgrim2 ( I was like 13, cut me some slack)

Snares
2010-09-22, 02:37 PM
Where'd mine come from?

a) From Venetian Snares, who is awesome.

b) I play drums, and a snare is a drum (in case you didn't know).

c) A snare is a kind of trap, and 'traps' is another term for drums. Yay!

druid91
2010-09-22, 10:24 PM
Druid, because I had a friend with a druid character once when I was really young, Ever since I liked druids.

91. Because it is one of my three numbers of awesomeness.

put them together and you get druid91.

THAC0
2010-09-22, 11:30 PM
Anyone who doesn't know where I got my name is full of fail.

I picked it 'cause I'm old school like that. :smallbiggrin:

HalfTangible
2010-09-29, 05:35 PM
Anyone who doesn't know where I got my name is full of fail.

I picked it 'cause I'm old school like that. :smallbiggrin:

I'm full of fail :smallfrown:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-29, 06:19 PM
I'm full of fail :smallfrown:

Old DnD phrase, back when it was actually D&D, not DnD. To Hit Armour Class 0. It's how combat worked.

Xyk
2010-09-29, 08:15 PM
Old DnD phrase, back when it was actually D&D, not DnD. To Hit Armour Class 0. It's how combat worked.

I thought it just changed to DnD because that's so much easier to type. Because I never remember which number has the "&". It's '7', but I have to look every time.

Da Beast
2010-09-29, 08:19 PM
One day my brother and I were trying to figure out what Kirby of Kirby fame is, eventually landing on Kirby Beast as a name for the entire species. When Brawl came out I started using Beast as my gamer tag or Da Beast when it would fit. My current avatar is a MnM character named Beast I wrote up but never really got a chance to play.

KumdoGirl
2010-10-01, 10:53 PM
Basically I do Haedong Kumdo, which is Korean Swordsmanship. I absolutely love it! Hence the name.

tassaron
2010-10-01, 11:42 PM
This is my actual name, minus a space.

*boring*

amnonian
2010-10-02, 03:55 AM
Amnonians were the people who lived in the Kingdom of Amnon, In my game of dnd.