PDA

View Full Version : D&D Cosmology question

Coidzor
2010-06-04, 03:40 PM
Are cold sores more of a demon, devil, or daemon sort of portfolio? And what rank would the subordinate of the whatever [noble rank] of pestilence in charge of cold sores in particular have?

hamishspence
2010-06-04, 03:42 PM
Daemons (yugoloths) have a affinity with disease- the Oinoloth is a unique yugoloth that has special powers, and typically, a diseased-sounding name.

Like Anthraxus.

That said, there may be devils or demons with an element of this- for devils, there is Baalzebul the Slug Archduke (Lord of the Flies, Lord of the Lies), whose layer is basically wall-to-wall filth.

Optimystik
2010-06-04, 04:00 PM
I would avoid Yugoloths, simply because (a) there isn't much info on them, (b) their motivations aren't very clear and (c) they're just plain bland.

Undead do a better job of NE "Evil for evil's sake," imo.

hamishspence
2010-06-04, 04:02 PM
Nerull (main core deity of undeath) does do disease as well- he grants the Pestilence domain as well as his main ones, in Complete Divine.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-04, 06:00 PM
What does this have to do with cosmology? :smallconfused:

Eldan
2010-06-04, 06:20 PM
I would avoid Yugoloths, simply because (a) there isn't much info on them, (b) their motivations aren't very clear and (c) they're just plain bland.

Undead do a better job of NE "Evil for evil's sake," imo.

There's plenty on material on Yugoloths. Faces of Evil has a lot on them, as does Hellbound. Then there's Planes of Conflict, of course, and the old Planescape monster manuals, with a few pages on every Yugoloth.

Also, go read Shemeshka's Storyhour and the Baernoloth stories on Planewalker and tell me again that they are bland.

Cold Sores and Diseases are very much a Loth thing. Hades is a plane filled up with every infection imaginable, after all, and the Arcanaloths love biological warfare.

Arcane_Secrets
2010-06-05, 12:30 AM
Are cold sores more of a demon, devil, or daemon sort of portfolio? And what rank would the subordinate of the whatever [noble rank] of pestilence in charge of cold sores in particular have?

I'd definitely call it more of a daemonic portfolio, although I can see ways you could spin it into demonic territory (a demon that uses fiend of corruption or wish powers to allow mortals to give rivals cold sores to deface them, but then it comes back on them even worse unless they keep cursing people).

I wouldn't call them all that powerful given that cold sores aren't lethal.

The Tygre
2010-06-05, 01:39 AM

That's just what they want ya' to think, cutter. There's a reason the phrase is "lyin' like a 'loth"...

But this is definitely a daemon purview, yugoloths in particular. They have an affinity for disease and there's not much I can say that hasn't been said already. The daemon's power in question depends on how much it covers. A daemon that only specializes in cold sores would probably only be an ultroloth, lesser oinoloth at best. Not that that's anything to turn your nose up to, blood. Names to throw around might be something like 'Herpex' or 'Labael'. (Orolabioth? Or if you prefer traditional, Orolabaemon.)