PDA

View Full Version : Factotum Clarification

shadow_archmagi
2010-06-04, 04:36 PM
Queries:

1. Factotums prepare spells like a wizard. Factotums are not restricted in which spells they prepare; every morning is a brand new day. Factotums can prepare one spell of their maximum level, and then divide the rest up however they please. This correct?

2. What refreshes inspiration points?

Arakune
2010-06-04, 05:03 PM

A new encounter. Whatever that is it's up to the DM, but I expect to be refreshed before each battle.

PId6
2010-06-04, 05:04 PM
Queries:

1. Factotums prepare spells like a wizard. Factotums are not restricted in which spells they prepare; every morning is a brand new day. Factotums can prepare one spell of their maximum level, and then divide the rest up however they please. This correct?

1. Yes.

2. End of an encounter. Basically once you stop acting in initiative order, or after 1 minute if you're not in combat.

Rin_Hunter
2010-06-04, 06:35 PM
1. Yes.

2. End of an encounter. Basically once you stop acting in initiative order, or after 2 minutes if you're not in combat.

2 minutes for noncombat? I always read it as each situation regardless of time between them. For example, room 1 and encounter, then the hall is another encounter, then room 2 is an encounter, each getting their own lot of inspiration even if it is only a few rounds (there are obvious exceptions to the above example such as retreating from a combat in room 2 to get to room 1 and then barricade the door is a single encounter including the fight before the retreat).

PId6
2010-06-04, 06:47 PM
2 minutes for noncombat? I always read it as each situation regardless of time between them. For example, room 1 and encounter, then the hall is another encounter, then room 2 is an encounter, each getting their own lot of inspiration even if it is only a few rounds (there are obvious exceptions to the above example such as retreating from a combat in room 2 to get to room 1 and then barricade the door is a single encounter including the fight before the retreat).
I made an error; it's 1 minute, not 2. I'm basing this on Complete Scoundrel's definition (p. 84), which says that skill tricks can be used once per encounter, or once per minute for scenes without conflict. It may not necessarily apply for all definitions of encounter, but it seems a workable definition and I haven't seen many others. It doesn't really matter how it's specifically defined though, as long as you get a new batch of points every combat.

AstralFire
2010-06-04, 06:52 PM
I've seen one minute, and I've seen five. I pretty much go with the definition of 'once no longer in round by round potentially lethal situations.'

Rin_Hunter
2010-06-04, 06:54 PM
I made an error; it's 1 minute, not 2. I'm basing this on Complete Scoundrel's definition (p. 84), which says that skill tricks can be used once per encounter, or once per minute for scenes without conflict. It may not necessarily apply for all definitions of encounter, but it seems a workable definition and I haven't seen many others. It doesn't really matter how it's specifically defined though, as long as you get a new batch of points every combat.

Skill tricks are one of the few things I've just glanced over without fully reading in the books I own, but that seems a fair time if it's just 1 minute...

term1nally s1ck
2010-06-04, 06:56 PM
FAQs say 1-2 minutes. Same for Maneuvers from ToB.

shadow_archmagi
2010-06-04, 07:11 PM
Wow. 1 minute is pretty short. Looks like factotums can really get a lot done then.

term1nally s1ck
2010-06-04, 07:15 PM
note, 1 minute means 1 minute to rest and catch your breath.

Factotum is among the best classes going, imo, and is probably the best class that doesn't rely on casting for its power.

Morph Bark
2010-06-05, 01:12 PM
Queries:

1. Factotums prepare spells like a wizard.

To my knowledge, while they are restricted to Wiz/Sor spells, they use them as SLAs. I.e.: useable in armour.

sonofzeal
2010-06-05, 01:48 PM
To my knowledge, while they are restricted to Wiz/Sor spells, they use them as SLAs. I.e.: useable in armour.
Indeed.

They also technically don't "cast" spells, so they don't qualify for things that require "ability to cast 2nd level spells". Just doesn't work for them.