PDA

View Full Version : Any effective drow gestalt's?

dethkruzer
2010-06-04, 04:38 PM
Oay, before I even start, I want to point out that i'm not making a Drizzt clone.

Well anyways, I've got this urge to play a drow, and our DM has a gestalt campaign goinf on, so once my current character inevitably expires, I wanted to make a drow. A small problem is how distributed a Drow's racial bonuses are, so i'm asking, what kind of suggestions would you give?

at the current moment I could start with a second level drow, including LA, and I was thinking of possibly using paladin.

RelentlessImp
2010-06-04, 04:53 PM
Lesser Drow, if you want to do it without Level-Adjustment (Player's Guide to Faerun, towards the back, around Lesser Planetouched).

A Drow Wizard 2//LA2, or Drow Archivist 2//LA 2 would be a nice start, what with their INT bonus (not spectacular, but it's there).

Going further on, Wizard->PrCs//LA 2/Archivist 18 would make good use of one of your boosted stats (INT), as you're almost entirely single-attribute dependent (save for bonus spells on the Archivist side), and you'll have boatloads of spells to use.

I'd also pick up that one feat that lets you prepare spells in whatever slots you want (something Theurge, I think, from a Dragon Mag? possibly) and use ridiculous amounts of metamagic since you've got all the spell slots you need to power it.

Keld Denar
2010-06-04, 05:10 PM
As above, but slightly adjusted. Keep the wizard on the non-LA side, but replace the archivist with Factotum from Dungeonscape. Now THATS what I call Int synergy. All the broken wizardy goodness you all know and love, and a side helping of action economy abuse to make it even sweeter. Once you hit ECL 10, you should be able to fire off all of your 5th, 4th, and 3rd level spells in a single round, if you do it right and had the desire...

Obviously tone it back a notch from there, but its still an awesome idea.

Pluto
2010-06-04, 05:16 PM
Based on the stat array?

Factotum//Archivist, Psion or Wizard: Use Int for everything and retain the ability to break the action economy should things get hairy.

Warblade/Eternal Blade//Archivist, Bard, Psion or Wizard: I like Archivist best, for the Knowledge-based fluff. But the gist is to use Intelligence to fuel your spells and Knowledge skills, which in turn fuel your melee abilities. (The Knowledge Devotion feat is a must.)

Bard//Archivist or Wizard: Use Melodic casting and moderate Inspire Courage optimization to load the party with huge buffs without interrupting your spell output. War Weaver would be an ideal PrC on the Wizard side to further the non-action buffening.

Truenamer//Lurk: :smalltongue:

edit:
What sources are you using?

If you're in a Core environment, Rogue//Wizard can make good use of high Int (for spells and the deep skill list) and Charisma (for all those Charisma-reliant skills).
Rogue//Sorcerer would work too, for the same reasons.

Korivan
2010-06-04, 07:38 PM
One of our gamers made a really good, Drow Sorcerer/Favored Soul. With heavy charisma and charisma based skills she did pretty well.

RelentlessImp
2010-06-04, 10:10 PM
One of our gamers made a really good, Drow Sorcerer/Favored Soul. With heavy charisma and charisma based skills she did pretty well.

I did that once. There's a scary amount of synergy between buffing yourself with FS spells and blasting with Sorcerer. The funny part was the character was an archer - and still managed to get a respectable amount of kills with just his bow. (That Relic bow from Races of the Wild that adjusts to your STR, Divine Power + Righteous Might + True Strike is a scary combination.)