PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Making a Dualist (AoO Build)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-04, 05:10 PM
Note: this is just to satisfy my own curiosity, I am not sure if I will be able to play this

I recently Found (again) Dragoon's Wraith Dualist (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Dualist) Prestige class, and reading it it rekinded my interest on playing a AoO based build. And was wondering what would be the best way to play it.

Right now the build I have in mind is something like human Swashbucler 3/fighter 2/Dualist 5/Fighter +2/Something 8

With stats goind Dex>Int>Con>Str>Cha>Wis

Feats:
1 Combat Reflexes
Human Dodge
(1)SB1 Weapon Finnesse
3 Two-Weapon Fighting
(4)F1 Mobility
(5)FB2 Spring Attack
6 Weapon Focus (Rapier)
(6)D1 Weapon Specialization
(7)D2 Double Hit
(8)D3 Greater Weapon Specialization (Rapier)
9 Combat Expertise
12 Robilar's Gambit
(12)F4 Karmic Strike.

Please tell me what you think, if I can improve this build and how, suggestion for magic items, choice of weapon, whatever you like.

Thanks in advance

Greenish
2010-06-04, 05:14 PM
Why the Spring Attack chain?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-04, 05:16 PM
1) I know it is subpar, but I like it:smallredface:
2) I intend to get bounding assault and rapid blitz eventually:smallwink:
3)Karmic Strike requires dodge and I said, meh I have already started the chain so... :smalltongue:

Optimystik
2010-06-04, 05:24 PM
For an AoO build I would go with Monk of the Enabled Hand (instant AoO whenever you are attacked) and a way to give my fists reach.

Greenish
2010-06-04, 05:24 PM
Hmm, how about a level of barbarian? Pounce from Spirit Lion Totem, Battle Ecstasy (+4 Dex & Con, +2 Will, DR 1/-, -2 to Skills) from Horselord (Dragon Magazine #337).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-04, 05:25 PM
For an AoO build I would go with Monk of the Enabled Hand (instant AoO whenever you are attacked) and a way to give my fists reach.

Monk of the enabled hand is from where?

Edit: Greenish@: I know they are great chargers, pounce is excelent, a nd whirling frenzy is just nasty in this kind of build; but to be honest I don't like barbarians that much, so I try to avoid them

Optimystik
2010-06-04, 05:26 PM
Monk of the enabled hand is from where?

Dragon Compendium.
Reach with fists can be gained a variety of ways, from magic/psionics (Enlarge Person/Expansion) to Deformities.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-04, 05:27 PM
I don't have access to Dragon compendium...

Greenish
2010-06-04, 05:31 PM
Edit: Greenish@: I know they are great chargers, pounce is excelent, a nd whirling frenzy is just nasty in this kind of build; but to be honest I don't like barbarians that much, so I try to avoid themI didn't suggest Whirling Frenzy because Battle Ecstasy seemed more appropriate for this.

If you don't have Pounce or some other way to move + full attack, you're just hitting yourself in the head, especially as a TWFer.

Don't get stuck to flavour, that's mutable.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-04, 05:35 PM
I didn't suggest Whirling Frenzy because Battle Ecstasy seemed more appropriate for this.

If you don't have Pounce or some other way to move + full attack, you're just hitting yourself in the head, especially as a TWFer.

Don't get stuck to flavour, that's mutable.

hmm I swear I read whirling frenzy.... anyway OTOH I don't have any dragon magazine so I can't see horselord, and I know that you are right I can change the flavor, but I simply don't like barbarian; but if there isn't a better option, I think I'll take it.

Related Question: Is rapier a good option or are there better weapons for this kind of build?

Keld Denar
2010-06-04, 05:36 PM
The best way to abuse large numbers of AoOs is naturally Stormguard Warrior from ToB. One of the abilities gives up your AoOs in return for massive bonuses to hit and damage per attack forsaken. With KS and Double Hit, you'll generate +8 to hit and damage every time you are struck, and with Robilar's Gambit, that increases to +16...PER HIT.

Unfortunately, Stormguard Warrior tacks on an extra 2 feats, and at least 1 level of Warblade somewhere in the build.

EDIT: I'd go with a weapon you can pair up, like daggers or short swords, or a double weapon if you can weasel your way out of the EWP feat. That gets you more bang for your buck if you are taking feats like Weapon Focus, since it'll apply to both. Rapiers, while Finessable, are still 1 handed. Duel Wielding them gives you the -4 penalty, instead of the -2 unless you take yet ANOTHER feat in Oversized TWF (CAdventurer).

Greenish
2010-06-04, 05:41 PM
I simply don't like barbarian; but if there isn't a better option, I think I'll take it.Well don't play a barbarian: play a duelist with punny name who can Pounce.

EDIT: I'd go with a weapon you can pair up, like daggers or short swords, or a double weapon if you can weasel your way out of the EWP feat. That gets you more bang for your buck if you are taking feats like Weapon Focus, since it'll apply to both.The PrC fixes that up. It's pretty much tailor-made for double rapier.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-04, 05:43 PM
I don't have my copy of ToB with me, so an you please tell me the pre-requisites for Stormguard Warrior.

Stuff about rapier: The Dualist class has some variant rules concerning Weapon Focus tree: weapon focus make it a light weapon for the purpose of TWF

DragoonWraith
2010-06-04, 06:59 PM
Yeah, the Dualist is about dual-wielding and attacks of opportunity. It offers a lot of mobility and a lot of options to "tank" in an interesting way - you really can stand in the middle of a combat and people are going to regret ignoring you, thanks to your ability to use attacks of opportunity to move and keep with targets, even when they try to attack others.

Keld Denar
2010-06-05, 02:30 AM
Prereq for Stormguard Warrior is +6 BAB (like nearly all tactical feats), the feat Iron Heart Aura, which has the prereq of one Iron Heart stance, and 2 Iron Heart manevuers, of which the stance for Iron Heart Aura counts as one.

Thurbane
2010-06-05, 04:49 AM
Binder 3 (Improved Binding feat) (or Binder 4, which gets you a bonus feat to spend on Improved Binding). You only lose +1 BAB (and you can use your Pact Augmentation to offset that). Bind Paimon:

Whirlwind Attack (no prereq feats required)
+4 untyped bonus to DEX
Uncanny Dodge
Use Tumble (at a +4 bonus) untrained
Other goodies