PDA

View Full Version : [Mongoose Traveller] Alien race ideas anyone?

Malfunctioned
2010-06-04, 05:14 PM
Well as the title says I'm trying to build a setting for a game of Traveller for my gaming group. The idea of the setting is that it is in a completely unexplored area of the galaxy, the characters would have got there by a sabotage attempt on a prototype military ship causing a malfunction in the Jump drive, this pretty much puts them in a situation similar to Star Trek Voyager, just that the ship is now destroyed and they'll have to make their own way back.

Since this area is completely new there will be new alien races, but unfortunately I can't think of any good ideas for them. So that's why I'm asking you guys for any ideas you can think of.

SurlySeraph
2010-06-04, 05:36 PM
Cephalopods.

Gasbag creatures, like living hot air balloons, from a gas giant.

Colonial organisms with a collective consciousness. They often develop odd tics or mental issues after being injured, since hurting any part of their body in effect gives them minor brain damage.

An entire "race" consisting of the same guy who uploaded copies of his mind into many, many computer systems and robot bodies. There are some personality differences between the different versions of him, mostly having to do with what kind of robotic body they're in; a mind that controls a battlecruiser or mech will probably be a lot prouder and more aggressive than one that controls a self-propelled lawn mower.

On a similar note, a memetic organism that exists by inserting copies of itself into electronic systems and into people's minds. More like a virtual virus with a limited ability to think than anything else.

Greys, space elves, bugs, and Proud Warrior Race types, because why the hell not.

TheThan
2010-06-04, 05:44 PM
Humans with spots on their faces
Humans with nose ridges
Humans with forehead ridges
Humans that look like humans
Humans with gigantic brains (may or may not include psychic powers)
Humans with mustaches and goatees
Humans in hippie attire
Humans with ear pieces
Humans with fangs
Humans with plucked eyebrows
Humans with painted skin (colors include, green, two tone white/black and two tone black/white)

lets see... did i miss anything?

Bharg
2010-06-04, 05:48 PM
Humans with spots on their faces
Humans with nose ridges
Humans with forehead ridges
Humans that look like humans
Humans with gigantic brains (may or may not include psychic powers)
Humans with mustaches and goatees
Humans in hippie attire
Humans with ear pieces
Humans with fangs
Humans with plucked eyebrows
Humans with painted skin (colors include, green, two tone white/black and two tone black/white)

lets see... did i miss anything?

Yes, you forgot Humans with mustaches... But, no! Wait, it's already covered up. Sorry.