PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Gish feats and spells (Phaerimm)

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-04, 05:48 PM
I'm making a back-up character for the campaign in which I'm currently playing. The party is level 3 class-wise, though we're allowed to ignore up to LA +2 to make things interesting. The DM is pretty comfortable with a moderate amount of cheese.

Thanks to recent threads, I became aware of the Phaerimm hatching (Lost Empires of Faerun[3.5] or Monsters of Faerun[3.0]). It's LA +2, has 2 Aberration HD, and casts as a sorcerer of its HD. Its spells are cast as spell-like abilities, which means no ASF and even better, no components. There's some argument about interpretation of its stat block but this is how my group has determined it functions.

So, I'm planning on playing my first-ever gish, likely taking levels in a ToB class. I'll be snagging alter self to turn into slightly more humanoid forms, true strike for obvious reasons, and Quicken Spell-Like Ability for similarly obvious reasons. I'm considering material component abuse at later levels, but aside from that, I'm somewhat at a loss for spell and feat selection beyond that.

What are some interesting tricks to pull with this?

Pluto
2010-06-04, 06:00 PM
I'll be snagging alter self to turn into slightly more humanoid forms,
I didn't think that worked with Polymorph immunity.

Without shapeshifting, a Tiny monster-shaped gish might have to get creative.

Spells like Bladeweave and Bloodstar (SpC) could probably go a long way. You'll probably want damage-related maneuvers (no PA) and Wraithstrike (SpC) for damage output.

J.Gellert
2010-06-04, 06:06 PM
You can still use your own spells even with Polymorph immunity. At least that's what the text on the Lich special qualities makes me think.

PId6
2010-06-04, 06:07 PM
Hatchling has only 1 HD, meaning a phaerimm hatchling character has no RHD.

Besides the obvious LA 2/Sorcerer 9 for 9th level spells at ECL 11, you can try some kind of archery build or something involving Jade Phoenix Mage. The Tiny size is a big problem for melee due to reach, but Confound the Big Folk can work well with that.

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-04, 11:10 PM
Hatchling has only 1 HD, meaning a phaerimm hatchling character has no RHD.

Besides the obvious LA 2/Sorcerer 9 for 9th level spells at ECL 11, you can try some kind of archery build or something involving Jade Phoenix Mage. The Tiny size is a big problem for melee due to reach, but Confound the Big Folk can work well with that.

Apparently I glanced at the advancement table instead of the HD entry. That's even better, as it will have no effect on martial advancement.

Regarding the Sorcerer 9 bit, I wouldn't even try to convince my DM of that out of respect (and fear of being beaten to death with a book). My initial idea was warblade, though the polymorph immunity might raise a problem. I'm reasonably certain that I'd be able to get my DM to allow the character to drop his immunity or bypass it with his own spells.

Even with tiny size, reach shouldn't be a problem if the character picks up a reach weapon (tiny reach weapons have been ruled to have a 5' reach in the game), though a tiny-sized armored lamprey with arms and a long stick doesn't quite match the image I'd constructed via alter self...