PDA

View Full Version : Kython Campaign [3.5]

Volos
2010-06-04, 06:51 PM
I just recently finished looking over every WOTC 3.0 and 3.5 book, seeing what monsters I wanted to use as the main evil force in my campaign world. After much thought and deliberation, I have decided that I will be using the Kython from The Book of Vile Darkness. They are aberrations that range from CR 1 through CR 13 without advancement or customization. I’m curious as to what everyone thinks about using these monsters as the main ‘unstoppable horde the party must face’. Has anyone run with Kython before? Do they make a decently terrifying monster? Any roleplaying ideas for introducing them into a mid-high level campaign? (Level 8 – 12) I was thinking of having them being released from some sort of prison from the lower layers of the Abyss. I was also toying around with the idea of adding a new kind of Kython weaponry, Insect Wings, which gives them a fly speed equal to double their land speed with average maneuverability. Let me know what you guys think.

Below are images of the Kython, not for the feint of heart.

Kython Broodling, Juvenile, Adult, and Impaler
http://i50.tinypic.com/2yk11c9.jpg

Kython Slaughterking
http://i50.tinypic.com/2en817a.jpg

Kython Slaymaster
http://i49.tinypic.com/hrld9l.jpg

Starbuck_II
2010-06-04, 07:21 PM
I remember that adventurer someone posted with them:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-05, 07:46 PM
I'm using Kythons in a Kython oriented campaign right now. I'll be frank. Using them as a "horde" works in some situations, but the real terror they can inflict on players comes from taking advantage of their high intelligence.

Using the broodlings and juveniles as hordelings works, as they're still a little scary but can be cut through easily. However, adults and higher are fairly intelligent (usually above average human int) so they can be scarier when played as smart and tactical vs. the players. The most fear I've seen in my players' eyes was battling an adult Kython, advanced, with the vile template applied. The Kython quickly cornered as many of them as possible and proceeded to shred them by focusing on high threat targets ASAP. They were forced to turtle and protect the Psion as their high damage source and they almost lost the battle. I used it as an example of when they need to actually think about a fight instead of just smashing it, as they just sat there taking full attacks from the Kython...

Fax Celestis
2010-06-05, 07:54 PM
If you can get your hands on Goodman Games' Big Book of Templates (an excellent book, I might add) and use the chapter entitled "Metatemplate" to make yourself a bunch of half- templates out of other, also scary monsters, you can make those kythons Freaking Terrifying™. FOR INSTANCE: make a half-essence-reaver template (essence reaver is in Magic of Eberron) and apply it to an impaler or slaughterking, maybe give it a spellthief level or two for extra crazy...

The Tygre
2010-06-05, 10:27 PM
Paging the Tyranids. This is Wizards of the Coast, paging the Tyranids.

Seriously, though, mix with Fax Celestis' idea of a half-Kython template and you really could have some kind of d20 Tyranid thing going here.

Samb
2010-06-05, 10:40 PM
Paging the Tyranids. This is Wizards of the Coast, paging the Tyranids.

I guess you youngsters never heard of a little movie called Alien? Watch the second one for inspiration on how these beasts work as a horde.

The Tygre
2010-06-06, 01:29 AM
I guess you youngsters never heard of a little movie called Alien? Watch the second one for inspiration on how these beasts work as a horde.

Well, the Tyranids were more or less directly based on the Xenomorphs, so there's that. :smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-06, 02:27 AM
People say that originality is dead; that all the new ideas are just old ideas being recycled.

Well, it's true, folks! :smallamused:

Johel
2010-06-06, 03:13 AM
Well, the Tyranids were more or less directly based on the Xenomorphs, so there's that. :smallsmile:

So, low-level campaign.
A enormous seaship traveling toward some far away merchant city, full with a cargo of spice or any other expensive goods.
The adventurers are on board for various reasons : maybe they are here in case of pirates, maybe they are simply going home or travelling between two locations for some quest...

The ship catches sight of another ship in difficulty and proceed to rescue survivor. Apparently, the ship was a pirate ship and it is full of bounty. The crew is dead, apparently having fought.

Here, add either one badly injured, sick survivor, whose unconscious. Or the captain's logs, written in a language none aboard can speak. As the adventurers get away from the ship, taking whatever they can, a clandestine passenger jumped on the cargo ship.

The rest of the travel is basically a slow, painful slaughter, as the crew is eaten one after another.

Some lunatic sailors try to abandon the ship with the safety boats. Of course, they got killed trying but the safety boats are lost with them. Also, the captain got eaten early on and no PC has any relevant sailing experience, making the loss of any crewmember a terrible thing, as someone needs to maneuverer this boat.

TroubleBrewing
2010-06-06, 04:01 AM
So, low-level campaign.
A enormous seaship traveling toward some far away merchant city, full with a cargo of spice or any other expensive goods.
The adventurers are on board for various reasons : maybe they are here in case of pirates, maybe they are simply going home or travelling between two locations for some quest...

The ship catches sight of another ship in difficulty and proceed to rescue survivor. Apparently, the ship was a pirate ship and it is full of bounty. The crew is dead, apparently having fought.

Here, add either one badly injured, sick survivor, whose unconscious. Or the captain's logs, written in a language none aboard can speak. As the adventurers get away from the ship, taking whatever they can, a clandestine passenger jumped on the cargo ship.

The rest of the travel is basically a slow, painful slaughter, as the crew is eaten one after another.

Some lunatic sailors try to abandon the ship with the safety boats. Of course, they got killed trying but the safety boats are lost with them. Also, the captain got eaten early on and no PC has any relevant sailing experience, making the loss of any crewmember a terrible thing, as someone needs to maneuverer this boat.

Tell me one of the crew members is a Warforged in disguise, under orders from the shipping company to observe the Kython threat. :smallamused:

Jair Barik
2010-06-06, 04:03 AM
Personally I always wanted to have a go at running a game with clockwork horrors as the main enemies. I can see the appeal of the Kythons though. There are a couple of other Abberation families you could try refluffing as Kythons in order to mix things up. Illithidae or Psurlons are both quite good and can use Psionics if you want them too and the Mindshredder family is interesting.

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-06, 07:02 AM
So, low-level campaign.

...I am doing this.

Yora
2010-06-06, 07:08 AM
People say that originality is dead; that all the new ideas are just old ideas being recycled.
It died some 4,000 years ago.

golem1972
2010-06-06, 08:04 AM
You might want to check into the Tirbana or Mockery Drones from MMV. Just refluff them to be kythons.

Otherwise, they make a fairly good horde monster. Get the players to defend something, or have a goal that takes them into the nest. The closer they get to the nest, the higher the CR.

Greenish
2010-06-06, 08:20 AM
Personally I always wanted to have a go at running a game with clockwork horrors as the main enemies.Wouldn't that be kinda short campaign? :smallamused:

Jair Barik
2010-06-06, 08:56 AM
Wouldn't that be kinda short campaign? :smallamused:

Come now only one out of four clockwork horrors are definitely fatal :smallamused:

hamishspence
2010-06-06, 10:27 AM

That said, Kythons (and tyranids) have one thing in common with each other, that Aliens don't have- hand-held weapon-organisms.