PDA

View Full Version : 4E Monster Competition (chat thread)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-04, 07:21 PM
Post all your 4E Monster Competition comments and conversation HERE!

The Main Threads
I - What the hell is THAT!?! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154953)
II - EEEEEKKK!!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158113)
III - Grimm Tales (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9051251#post9051251)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-08, 10:33 AM
This is my idea for an "off the wall" 4E Monster

Void Mite
The Void Mite is a tiny, intelligent black-hole that sucks everything that comes close into it's alien digestive system. It has 10s of tiny legs that it scuttles around on and every time it consumes a creature it gains a number of legs equal to the number of legs the creature had.

Void Mite Level 7 Controller
Tiny aberrant magical beast XP 300
Initiative +7 Senses Perception +6
HP 83; Bloodied 41
Regeneration 5
AC 21; Fortitude 20; Reflex 21; Will 19
Speed 6
m Absorb (standard; at-will)
Attack: +11 vs Fortitude
Hit: 2d6 + 5 Damage and the target is immobilized (save ends).
Pulling Aura (no action; at-will) • Aura
Aura 3
Foes that start their turn within the aura are pulled 1 square and are slowed until the end of their turn.
Teleport Away (immediate interrupt (when attacked); recharge 5 6)
The Void Mite teleports 8 squares and suffers no effects of the attack.
Alignment Unaligned Languages —
Skills Stealth +9
Str 10 (+3) Dex 13 (+4) Wis 16 (+6)
Con 19 (+7) Int 10 (+3) Cha 13 (+4)

Tactics: The Void Mite stays in the middle of combat sucking in foes and keeping them from getting away from their allies.

Greater Void Mite
Sometimes a Void Mite consumes so many creatures that it becomes larger and more powerful, scuttling along on it's thousands of legs the Greater Void Mite is a dangerous predator despite It's size.

Greater Void Mite Level 10 Controller
Small aberrant magical beast XP 300
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +14
HP 83; Bloodied 41
Regeneration 5
AC 24; Fortitude 23; Reflex 24; Will 22
Speed 6
m Absorb (standard; at-will)
Attack: +14 vs Fortitude
Hit: 2d6 + 5 Damage and the target is immobilized (save ends).
Pulling Aura (no action; at-will) • Aura
Aura 4
Foes that start their turn within the aura are pulled 2 squares and are slowed until the end of their turn.
Teleport Away (immediate interrupt (when attacked); recharge 4 5 6)
The Void Mite teleports 10 squares and suffers no effects of the attack.
Alignment Unaligned Languages —
Skills Stealth +11
Str 12 (+5) Dex 15 (+7) Wis 18 (+9)
Con 21 (+10) Int 12 (+6) Cha 15 (+7)

Void Mite Lore:
Arcana 20: Void Mites are aberrant predators that suck in their prey with pulling force.
Arcana 25: Every time a Void Mite consumes a creature it adds their legs to it's own set, when a Void Mite consumes enough creatures they become larger and more powerful.

Very nice, very nice! :smallwink:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-16, 02:42 PM
Can you post them in a format more similar to the one provided.

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-05, 09:42 PM
On the issue of reposting in the listed format, I figured making it an Adventure Tools file would be good enough :smalltongue:. I honestly don't feel like typing out that whole statblock, and it looks much prettier this way. If you really want me to change it, I suppose I can.

Now, time for PEACHing!

Rawhide:
His aura of grant-CA-ness is very blah, IMHO. Might as well just toss it and give him +2 to attack rolls and +2d6 damage to all his attacks, since all his attacks are Reach/Burst 3 or less, he's basically always going to have CA just from the aura. Maybe the aura could extinguish light sources, give a Will penalty, or give a penalty to saving throws instead and you could give him some invisibility powers or similar to give him CA? I also simply disapprove of Resist Magic, but its your choice I suppose. Quite honestly, though, it has no precedent, and for the same reason 4e's Anti-magic fields just kill conjurations - its a design goal of 4e that no monster be designed to kill a race/class/alignment combination better than another (you don't see Elves' monster statblocks with +ATK vs. Drow, or Immortals with +DEF vs. Divine spells, etc.)

Razor Eddie:
I'm sorry, but as written he is completely unusable. He has 63 AC, for starters. The average attack vs. AC of a level 30 PC should be around +33 to +35 ish, if they are really optimal maaaaybe +37 or +38. His aura knocks that down by 5. So it takes a not well optimized PC a natural roll of 45 on a d20 to hit him, and it takes a well optimized PC a natural 40. The problem being that d20s do not go that high. Bump his Defenses down to 49/46/48/47, ditch the -5 to attacks aura and then he's fightable. In general, buffs to speed/defenses etc are not listed as abilities, especially if they are already included, because in 4e when making a monster, you just set those things at a value you feel is appropriate. In other words, just say his speeds are 11/11, don't bother mentioning its from a bonus. Finally, he's a level 35 solo. Give him some interesting tricks other than "Attack, Multi Attack, Riposte Attack". Give him a ranged attack, perhaps. Some limited use abilities with good flavour. Some godly magic tricks. Make him an interesting fight, because come level 35, he's basically going to be the last thing those PCs fight.

Shade Golem:
Good concept, I do not believe we've got a golem made outta shadows yet. Just some issues with convention - you should not have a minor action power that it can trigger in the middle of its own move action, that's just weird and hard to resolve. Instead try "minor action; recharge whatever; until the end of this turn, the shade golem can move through enemy spaces and gains a +X bonus to defenses vs. attacks of opportunity", or soemthing like that. Then, it is listed that he had a khopesh, but there are no attacks that seem to use the khopesh - its a flavourful combo with the whip, so I'd keep it and just add in an extra basic attack for the khopesh, and maybe a rechargeable double attack where he uses both?

That's all my comments for now - I didn't touch flavour, since one didn't have any and the other two were well-grounded in source material that is unfamiliar to me. Hope I was helpful.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-05, 09:53 PM
Unless you post it in the presented statblock you will be disqualafied, just copy and paste the info.
What you did would be good enough but it's not in the MMIII format.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-05, 10:29 PM
Rawhide:
His aura of grant-CA-ness is very blah, IMHO. Might as well just toss it and give him +2 to attack rolls and +2d6 damage to all his attacks, since all his attacks are Reach/Burst 3 or less, he's basically always going to have CA just from the aura. Maybe the aura could extinguish light sources, give a Will penalty, or give a penalty to saving throws instead and you could give him some invisibility powers or similar to give him CA? I also simply disapprove of Resist Magic, but its your choice I suppose. Quite honestly, though, it has no precedent, and for the same reason 4e's Anti-magic fields just kill conjurations - its a design goal of 4e that no monster be designed to kill a race/class/alignment combination better than another (you don't see Elves' monster statblocks with +ATK vs. Drow, or Immortals with +DEF vs. Divine spells, etc.)
I did something to fix the aura.

Razor Eddie:
I'm sorry, but as written he is completely unusable. He has 63 AC, for starters. The average attack vs. AC of a level 30 PC should be around +33 to +35 ish, if they are really optimal maaaaybe +37 or +38. His aura knocks that down by 5. So it takes a not well optimized PC a natural roll of 45 on a d20 to hit him, and it takes a well optimized PC a natural 40. The problem being that d20s do not go that high. Bump his Defenses down to 49/46/48/47, ditch the -5 to attacks aura and then he's fightable. In general, buffs to speed/defenses etc are not listed as abilities, especially if they are already included, because in 4e when making a monster, you just set those things at a value you feel is appropriate. In other words, just say his speeds are 11/11, don't bother mentioning its from a bonus. Finally, he's a level 35 solo. Give him some interesting tricks other than "Attack, Multi Attack, Riposte Attack". Give him a ranged attack, perhaps. Some limited use abilities with good flavour. Some godly magic tricks. Make him an interesting fight, because come level 35, he's basically going to be the last thing those PCs fight.

I concur with all of Shadow_Elf's points, you should also fix up the stat block and attacks.

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

MY COMMENTS

Cheshire Cat
I like the concept, image, and fluff. I can tell you put a lot of work into it.
It seems a little strong on the defense, maybe you should do something to make insubstantial weaker or something?

Shadow Gollum
Besides my request for you to add fluff and fix up the stat block, I think there should NOT be an at-will minor action to auto-daze an enemy, it should probably be an attack vs will.

Razor Eddie
I agree that there should be more powers besides boring melee multi-attacks, you should also DEFINITELY change your character to fit the core D&D cosmology like I did with my character-monster.

deathali'helper
2010-07-12, 10:38 PM
Dang, Well, I guess Ive got work to do, oh and can you PM me with any future critiques? it makes it easyer to track them all down:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-01, 11:00 AM
Next contest it up!
It has a sort of feywild/dark fairy tales theme.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-08-01, 09:37 PM
Cool, I may have to look into this one, as I'll be running a campaign with fey aspects.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-02, 11:07 AM
Cool, I may have to look into this one, as I'll be running a campaign with fey aspects.

Cool, you should post something!
The more the merrier. :smallbiggrin:

I just updated the template format for ease of use.