PDA

View Full Version : Cantrip that deals fire damage?

Wonton
2010-06-04, 11:23 PM
Ray of Frost, Acid Splash, Electric Jolt, Sonic Snap... where's my 1d3 fire damage cantrip? Shooting a small ray of flame seems like something anyone with any magical ability should be able to do. :smallconfused:

Set
2010-06-04, 11:27 PM
Ray of Frost, Acid Splash, Electric Jolt, Sonic Snap... where's my 1d3 fire damage cantrip? Shooting a small ray of flame seems like something anyone with any magical ability should be able to do. :smallconfused:

Here's some OGL energy cantrips from Sean Reynold's site. (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/spells/energycantrips.html)

Raging Gene Ray
2010-06-04, 11:30 PM
I remember an online Wizards article that detailed new uses for Prestidigitation, a jet of fire that dealt either 1d2 or 1d3 Fire damage was one of them.

Dracons
2010-06-05, 12:33 AM
Tome of Blood: Prestidigitation can shoot a small wave of fire, but its lit a torch as a standard action rather then a full round.

That being said, like all spells that are elemental in nature, I tend to give an equal one. It may be rarer to find, but it works. A fire version of a zero level spell does exist in my world, and it deals 1d3 points of damage.

Thurbane
2010-06-05, 01:20 AM
Back in the 1E days, there was a cantrip called Firefinger.

Sliver
2010-06-05, 01:40 AM
But... But...

It cannot deal damage or affect the concentration of spellcasters.

Prestidigitation can't deal damage!

Besides, it lets you have random effects for a hour. Does that use lets you have an at will fire cantrip for a hour? That's a much stronger use compared to the rest, unless it's a discharge kind of thing. If that's it, then the first point applies.

El Dorado
2010-06-05, 02:22 AM
I smell research project! Zero level spell. How much time and/or gold would that cost?

Raging Gene Ray
2010-06-05, 02:24 AM
But... But...

Prestidigitation can't deal damage!

Apparantly, I was thinking of this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010707) excerpt from Tome and Blood and just imagined that whole "dealing damage thing." Sorry about that.

At any rate, Wizards can research new spells, can't they? Make a spellcraft check, run it by your DM, and ask them to allow it. It's not like 1d3 Fire damage will break the game.

senrath
2010-06-05, 02:49 AM
I smell research project! Zero level spell. How much time and/or gold would that cost?

According to the rules outlined in the DMG, it would cost 0 gp, take 0 weeks, and require a DC 10 Spellcraft check to research it.

Eurus
2010-06-05, 03:17 AM
According to the rules outlined in the DMG, it would cost 0 gp, take 0 weeks, and require a DC 10 Spellcraft check to research it.

Except that cantrips are generally considered to have a spell level of 0.5 whenever they're used in a formula (like item creation costs). Don't know if that specifically applies to researching new spells too, but it probably should.

J.Gellert
2010-06-05, 03:49 AM
Maybe they left it out because all it takes is one small spark to ignite an inferno?

BobVosh
2010-06-05, 04:14 AM
Except that cantrips are generally considered to have a spell level of 0.5 whenever they're used in a formula (like item creation costs). Don't know if that specifically applies to researching new spells too, but it probably should.

This is one as a DM I would rule they are free. Its a cantrip, and fluff wise is suppose to be fairly free to anyone with any magic talent. The crunch supports this surprisingly well that way.

Moglorosh
2010-06-05, 07:28 AM
Maybe they left it out because all it takes is one small spark to ignite an inferno?
You can already light a campfire with prestidigitation.

Set
2010-06-05, 07:47 AM
'As part of your arduous path from apprentice to journeyman to true arcane practitioner, you will design a cantrip level magic of your very own! Bonus points to the student with the most creative idea!'

Allow each wizard to start with a custom cantrip. Yours is 'firefinger,' which is basically 'Ray of Frost, but does Fire damage instead.'

J.Gellert
2010-06-05, 07:53 AM

...Touché!

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-05, 07:55 AM

There is an electrical cantrip.

Sliver
2010-06-05, 07:58 AM

Reminds me of the story of the one who's character got killed by a Light spell because he was soaked in oil and so the heatless light cantrip ignited the place and... Wait...

Prodan
2010-06-05, 08:08 AM
Didn't Vaarsuvius research something along this line for the Iron Mage competition?

Optimystik
2010-06-05, 09:08 AM
Back in the 1E days, there was a cantrip called Firefinger.

Didn't Vaarsuvius research something along this line for the Iron Mage competition?

Actually, his opponent did the "Flamefinger." Vaarsuvius' second entry was called "Distant Inferno," which I can only presume was his attempt at consolidating the Locate City Bomb into one spell.

EDIT: Scratch that, V was the one that did Flamefinger - I forgot that he scribed two scrolls, not one.

2xMachina
2010-06-05, 09:27 AM
Actually, his opponent did the "Flamefinger." Vaarsuvius' entry was called "Distant Inferno," which I can only presume was his attempt at consolidating the Locate City Bomb into one spell.

:smalleek: LCB spell!

nargbop
2010-06-05, 09:33 AM
There's Launch Bolt. Fit an alchemist's fire onto an arrow and le voila.

Optimystik
2010-06-05, 09:36 AM
:smalleek: LCB spell!

He was attempting to make a long-range concussive fireball with a short radius. Instead, he made a short-range concussive fireball with long radius, which ended up setting Belkar free from jail.

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-05, 10:39 AM
Fire-Substituted acid splash?

Darrin
2010-06-05, 02:36 PM
Does it have to be a cantrip? Kauper's Quickblast (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050112a) can do 5 fire damage as a free/swift action, and is only 1st level spell.

BobVosh
2010-06-06, 12:03 AM
There is an electrical cantrip.

How shocking.