PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A warrior's prowess only goes so far

KatfishKaos
2010-06-05, 01:00 AM
So playgrounders, I come to you once again seeking help. I'm playing a fighter in a sandbox/survival/nature game... This is my character...

Race: Human
Hair: Bald
Eyes: Grey
Height: 7' 6"
Weight: 258lb
Size: Medium (Powerful Build)
Class: Fighter

Str; 16
Dex; 14
Con; 14
Int; 13
Wis; 8
Cha; 9

BAB; +1
Fort/Ref/Will
+4 /+2 /-1

When using Shield, tower
AC; 20
Touch; 12
Flat-footed; 18

When using Shield, heavy steel
AC; 18
Touch; 12
Flat-footed; 16

Racial Traits; Powerful Build

Languages Spoken;
- Common
- Elven
- Dwarfish

Feats;
- (Human); Jotunbrud
- (Base); Combat Expertise
- (Fighter); Improved Trip

Skills;
Climb; 3
Handle Animal; 2
Ride; 3
Swim; 4
Intimidate; 2

Light Load Medium Load Heavy Load
76 lb. or less 77-153 lb. 154-230 lb
Lift over Head Lift off Ground Push or drag
154-230 308-460 770-1150

Arms and Armour; 107lb; 172gp
Scale mail 50gp; 25lb
Shield, heavy steel 20gp; 15lb
Shield, tower 30gp; 45
Chain, spiked 25gp; 10
Large longsword 15gp; 4lb
Shortbow; 30gp; 2lb
Arrows (40); 2; 6lb

Adventuring; 41gp 1sp; 64.5lb
Backpack; 2lb
Belt pouch; 1/2lb
Bedroll; 5lb
Flint and Steel; -
Hempen rope; 10lb
3x Torches; 3lb
Trail Rations (10 days); 10lb
Waterskin; 4lb
Explorer's outfit; 10gp
Crowbar; 2gp; 5lb
Fishhook; 1sp
Fishing net; 4gp; 5lb
Tent; 10gp
----

Animals; 12gp 50cp
Donkey; 8gp
saddle bags; 4gp
10 Days feed; 50cp

14gp left

The DM agrees that Jotunbrud becomes Powerful build, so thats sorted. Next level I will grab Knockdown (via second level of fighter). Then 3rd is, Combat Reflexes. Too the questions! First off, 3rd level. What class should I look at? I don't want to multiclass hilariously, so no builds where I'm dipping 5 billion times (I know you guys). But where should I go from here? Perhaps Ranger? I want to remain deadly/scary and yet helpful for as long as possible.

Thanks once again, any questions you have I'll be sure to answer quickly. :) The mule is called Walter before any of you ask. >>

Godskook
2010-06-05, 01:02 AM
What do you want to be at high levels? A charger, a tripper? What? What is your party role that you're filling?

KatfishKaos
2010-06-05, 01:11 AM
This may sound silly, but I want to be epic. I want to be able to stand up and yell a challenge at an army and laugh as their pitiful blades try to break my defense, as my weap- Getting ahead of myself. :smallwink:

Tripping seemed pretty good, but I still want to be a front line fighter. The role I'll be filling? Tank/DPS I guess. I'll get the Mage Slayer feat and potentially Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Chain). Oh, I forgot to mention. Its pretty much core, with anything out of core I need to get it checked with the DM. The reason I was asking about Ranger, is that it would give me a few more skills/skill points to play with and has a full BAB progression...

For a little bit of character background, I left my tribe (in the foothills of a great mountain range) to find my calling (I was amazingly drunk, they thought it'd be funny to see what I could come up with). Thus the not so in depth background. But, yeah. Thats the basic idea. Hope it helps.

Godskook
2010-06-05, 02:47 AM
Read up on Saph's Horizon Tripper, and see how that works for you.

Draz74
2010-06-05, 04:41 AM
To wit: here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415).

Azernak0
2010-06-05, 04:45 AM
Shock Trooper + Knock Back + Dungeon Crasher Variant + Trip from 2 levels of Wolf Totem Barbarian. Charge, attack, knockback, run opponent into each other, trip both, knockback both into other people, etc. Alternatively, Charge at someone and run them into a Wall as many times as possible for a huge amount of damage

KatfishKaos
2010-06-05, 07:01 PM
Shock Trooper + Knock Back + Dungeon Crasher Variant + Trip from 2 levels of Wolf Totem Barbarian. Charge, attack, knockback, run opponent into each other, trip both, knockback both into other people, etc. Alternatively, Charge at someone and run them into a Wall as many times as possible for a huge amount of damage

I'm not sure you actually read the thread. :\

Anyways, thanks for all ya help! The Horizon Tripper WILL do nicely :)

gallagher
2010-06-05, 07:33 PM
jotunbrud is a waste. get strongarm bracers. a good fighting class is going to be feat dependant to be the most effective, and strongarm bracers are only 3000 gp, so you will have to wait to be able to buy them, but all in all are better than using a feat

dspeyer
2010-06-05, 11:55 PM
This may sound silly, but I want to be epic. I want to be able to stand up and yell a challenge at an army and laugh as their pitiful blades try to break my defense, as my weap- Getting ahead of myself. :smallwink:

This sounds like a barbarian to me. Take intimidating rage to yell challenges. If your DM allows it, take Thick Skinned to boost you DR until you can laugh at ordinary weapons. How you justify multiclassing into barbarian I don't know -- maybe you just got really mad.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-06-06, 12:08 AM
I'd say add 1 barbarian level, snag extra rage, then go into psywarrior if it's kosher in your game.

Keld Denar
2010-06-06, 12:15 AM
jotunbrud is a waste. get strongarm bracers. a good fighting class is going to be feat dependant to be the most effective, and strongarm bracers are only 3000 gp, so you will have to wait to be able to buy them, but all in all are better than using a feat

Jotunbrud is actually not that bad in this case. Sure, Strongarm Bracers increase your weapon size like Jotunbrud, but Jotunbrud increases your effective size which helps with a lot of combat manuevers like trip and bullrush.

Plus, that frees up your arm slot for Armbands of Might, which give a +2 untyped bonus to all Str based checks, including the above mentioned trip and bullrush.

Some things are better solved that way, but this time, Jotunbrud is actually a decent investment.

lsfreak
2010-06-06, 12:22 AM
Jotunbrud is actually not that bad in this case. Sure, Strongarm Bracers increase your weapon size like Jotunbrud, but Jotunbrud increases your effective size which helps with a lot of combat manuevers like trip and bullrush.

And lets you get Knockback, which is made of pure and unadulterated fun, even without dungeoncrasher. Which the OP definitely seems to want.

Coidzor
2010-06-06, 02:06 AM
I'd say wait on using the spiked chain until you can grab proficiency with it and snag a couple of lassos(I believe they've been printed in both Dragon and Book of Exalted Deeds) if they're allowed and use a polearm + a spiked gauntlet for your reach-tripping purposes. That -4 isn't too bad on a touch attack, but it's still something that should be avoided if possible.

And I'd skimp on the heavy shield and get a greatsword(well, 2-hander of choice, maybe a scythe? Can't remember non-reach, tripping 2-handed weapons) for your OMG, mix it up in melee without using trip-reach tact. (but that's just my bias against sword and board)

Can't remember if it's a martial weapon, but I believe for a one-hander you'd want to use a Tiger-skull club from Frostburn if possible, as it is a disarming, tripping one-handed weapon that does both bashing and piercing IIRC. And can be used well as an anti-undead backup unless you use crystal keep or sommat to find a good 2handed martial bludgeoning weapon. You've got the trip, so use it.

Also, a one-hander that's good for tripping is great for those instances when you'll be using the tower-shield, as I believe (might be misremembering) that tower shields inhibit one's ability to hit, so tripping them is good to help mitigate that.

Edit 1: If you're not going to go with the horizon tripper, or are taking it more as a suggestion, a dip in Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian is good b/c of grabbing both Pounce and Rage at level 1. If you hadn't already bought both combat expertise and Imp Trip, I might've suggested a 2 level dip in Wolf Totem Barb for fast movement, rage, and improved trip without needing combat expertise.

Edit 2: Wait... have you bought this all yet? (Well, bought/acquired in game already) Or have you yet to finalize your equipment loadout? Because if you can still acquire things as readily as at char gen, I'd definitely rethink your weapon load-out.

Edit 3: Oh, and if you really want shields, then you NEED to keep an eye out for a MW heavy shield to keep hold of for when you're ready to afford enchanting it as a dancing shield. Also, verify whether you're going to need to appraise item quality or if they'll just be a gimme from the DM.