PDA

View Full Version : Duels in a Western setting, ideas needed.

Moofaa
2010-06-05, 05:10 AM
So I am working on a Western campaign setting using Star Wars Saga rules. I found its been pretty easy to refluff the non-jedi classes into things like Outlaw, Frontiersmen, etc. However I REALLY want to capture the feel of a western, and figure some special rules for the classic "high noon" duel are in order.

The idea is that there are a few stages of pre-combat in which characters attempt to intimidate each other in order to gain status effects. The idea is to make official duels deadly, so that its nearly garaunteed that SOMEONE is going to die. I would like the affects of successful intimidation to do things like greatly increase damage rolls, reflex defense, etc. So far here is my outline of how I see a duel progressing. You choose one ability to use in each stage:

Showdowns

Every town has its legends. Many of those involve the time the local marshal faced down a man hell-bent on revenge, or a challenge fight over land, love, or anger was settled at high noon, in front of the Lucky Dollar saloon. Showdowns occur whenever two or more individuals (or groups) agree to a time and place to settle their differences once and for all. Once a time and place has been agreed upon there is a three-step process to be followed. These steps are The Entrance, Confontation, and Finale.

The Entrance

How one arrives at the correct time and place has several potential effects. A participants arrival for a showdown is a critical moment in which they may gain or lose a critical advantage. The list below are several common methods of arriving at the scene, the affects, and the relevant skill check. All opponents choose their entrance at the same time.

On a Pale Horse – You ride slowly to the destination on horseback, pausing to gaze down at your opponent from on high before dismounting. Since this is a critical moment it must be done with perfection, make a Ride skill check against your opponents Will Defense, or, if another opponent arrives in the same manner, make opposed Ride checks. Mount required. Gain one Showdown point on success.

The Long Walk – You stride slowly and confidently towards your opponent, spurs chiming with every step as tumbleweeds roll lazily in the breeze between you. Make an Intimidation skill check vs your opponents Will Defense. Gain one Showdown point on success.

Early Bird Shoots the Worm – You arrive early at the designated time and place. Its important not too arrive too early lest your opponent think you may be too anxious. Likewise you don't want to be late, else the other may gain some advantage. Make an Initiative check against the opponent. Highest roll wins, ties break even with no advantage. By arriving early you now have the sun at your back or some other terrain advantage. Gain one Showdown Point on success.

Saloon Swagger – You wait in the nearest saloon until the designated time. After chugging down one last shot of whiskey you swagger out of the saloon. Nevermind the intoxicating affect of the drink, because you're just so much more of a man (or woman) than your opponent that you don't need all of your faculties to shoot them down. Make a Fortitude Defense roll against the alcohol. Gain one Showdown Point on success.

Confrontation

You've made your entrance, now you face your opponent, sizing them up and searching for weaknesses or hoping to provoke them into making a critical error. Silence falls over the area and tension builds. All opponents roll for initative again to determine who goes first.

Exchange of Words – You make a cutting remark at your opponents expense, convincing them of your superiority. Make a Persuasion skill check against their Will Defense. On success opponent loses one Showdown Point.

Rebuttal – If an opponent has just used Exchange of Words against you, you can attempt Rebuttal. Make a Persuasion skill check against their Will Defense. On success your opponent loses one Showdown Point instead.

Spit – You spit a mouthful of chaw at your opponents feet, forcing them to dodge. Make a ranged attack against your opponents Reflex Defense. Gain one Showdown Point on success. Requires mouthful of chaw.

Squint – You squint at your opponent in an attempt to unnerve them. Make an Intimidation skill check against their Will Defense. On success gain a Showdown Point.

Itchy Fingers – You opponent thinks you are locking eyes with them for a Squint, but really its just a distraction as you inch your fingers towards your weapon. Make a Stealth skill check against your opponents Perception. On success gain a +4 initiative bonus at the beginning of the Shootout rounds.

Mysterious Grin – You give a wide grin in an attempt to throw off your opponent in this deadly confrontation. What are you thinking? Are you that confident? Do you have some secret advantage? Make a Deception skill check against the targets Will Defense. On success gain a Showdown Point.

Fiery Storm o' Cussin' – You fly into a rage, uttering a stream of curses questioning your opponents parentage. The hate in your eyes stings like flying daggers. Make an Intimidation Skill check against your opponents Will Defense. Cannot be used immediately after failing to use or defend against Exhange of Words, however gain a +4 Will Defense bonus against the next Exchange of Words attempt against you.

Finale

There are only two options for the finale; Escalate and Clear Leather.

Escalate – You choose to continue the Confrontation. You may not pick the same Confontation ability twice in a row.

Clear Leather – You draw your weapon and three Shootout rounds begin.

Shootout

Participants have arrived. Words have been exchanged and tension has built to the bursting point. All particpants now choose how to spend their Showdown Points. These points can be spent in the following ways and each can be used more than once for stacking effects:

Damage Mutliplier – You spend one Showdown Point to increase your damage multiplier by 1. Thus after spending one point you do 2x the amount of damage rolled.

Reflex Defense – You may spend one Showdown Point to gain a +4 bonus to Reflex Defense during the Shootout rounds.

Attack Bonus – You may spend one Showdown Point to gain a +4 bonus to your attack rolls during the Shootout rounds.

Damage Threshold – You may spend one Showdown Point to gain a +5 bonus to your Damage Threshold during the Shootout rounds.

Flee – You may spend ALL Showdown Points to end the Shootout phase before it begins, however opponent may still spend a single Showdown Point and retain the affects for the remainder of the encounter. Additionally you begin your next Showdown at a -1 Showdown Point penalty.

The Shootout lasts for three rounds. All participants retain Dexterity bonuses to Reflex Defense but are unable to seek cover, flee, or take other move actions. As an option, if a participant seeks to humiliate but not kill their opponent, when reduced to 0 Hps the opponent recieves no futher damage and is considered helpless for the duration of the encounter. If after the three Shootout rounds end there are still combatants able and willing to continue then regular combat will begin but all participants lose any Showdown bonuses.

Upon winning a Showdown (including any additional normal combat round after the Shootout rounds) you gain in reputation and can begin your next Showdown with 1 extra Showdown point.

*Edit* I'd like to use a wide enough variety of options for skill checks so that not only your typical gunslinging classes can stand a chance. Also stage 3 is repeatable so its possible that bonuses can stack to ridiculous levels, this way even at level 20 and 100+ hps characters can easily get killed during the 3 combat rounds.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-06-05, 06:02 AM
There was a system for samurai duels (can't remember what game it is is, sorry) that had a good mechanic you might want to try:

The duelists face each other, sizing each other up, waiting for the moment to strike.
Each round, they make an opposed intimidate (or some other social check, maybe you could allow bluff?) check. The loser loses one bonus from their attack (I seem to remember the system I'm thinking of used a dice pool, but in d20 it would be an increasing penalty to hit).
At any time, you can choose to attack - but whoever chooses to attack, your opponent goes first.

Each round that you wait before attacking, you get more damage dice.

The idea is that you can keep pushing each other until you have barely enough attack bonus - whoever is the more skilled gets to wait out longer, and waiting longer means you get to attack first.

In a d20 system, it might need some tweaking (the d20 has a straight linear probability, so the penalties need to be significant before you notice them).

J.Gellert
2010-06-05, 06:23 AM
I like where you are going with this!

Here's a couple ideas for stage 2:

Enigmatic Smile (are you acually excited to be finally facing this opponent, you have a death wish, or just relish combat in general? Do you have secrets up your sleeve? What is so funny anyway?)

Acting completely crazy (crazy eyes? a toothy grin? breaking things?) to scare your opponent with your insanity.

Darkameoba
2010-06-05, 07:22 AM
perhaps a minor bonus for drawing first, just to keep people from standing there racking up bonuses.

another sugestion, have options for shooting to wound, just incase the players dont want to kill the other guy, just humiliate him.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-05, 08:20 AM
There was a system for samurai duels (can't remember what game it is is, sorry) that had a good mechanic you might want to try:

Actually, that would be Iaijutsu Focus duels from Oriental Adventures. From what I recall, it had three steps...

1: Stance; this involves using a Sense motive check to determine informatiion about the opponent.

2: Focus; this involves making an Iaijutsu Focus skill check.

3: Strike; the higher check goes first, dealing damage.

The way I see it, you could probably make this work in this setting with, say, a new skill called 'Gunslinging' that functions exactly like Iaijutsu Focus- make a check (DC 10), deal 1d6 bonus damage for that, and deal an additional 1d6 damage for every five points above the DC.

Ouranos
2010-06-05, 09:50 AM
Iaijutsu duels, it's in Oriental Adventures. Boils all that stuff down to skill checks til someone decides to attack, then both attack rolls are made at the same time with whoever won said contested rolls getting a huge damage boost.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-05, 10:03 AM
Iaijutsu duels, it's in Oriental Adventures. Boils all that stuff down to skill checks til someone decides to attack, then both attack rolls are made at the same time with whoever won said contested rolls getting a huge damage boost.

...I just said that.

alchemyprime
2010-06-05, 12:03 PM
Actually, that would be Iaijutsu Focus duels from Oriental Adventures. From what I recall, it had three steps...

1: Stance; this involves using a Sense motive check to determine informatiion about the opponent.

2: Focus; this involves making an Iaijutsu Focus skill check.

3: Strike; the higher check goes first, dealing damage.

The way I see it, you could probably make this work in this setting with, say, a new skill called 'Gunslinging' that functions exactly like Iaijutsu Focus- make a check (DC 10), deal 1d6 bonus damage for that, and deal an additional 1d6 damage for every five points above the DC.

I've turned this into a sjill called Duel for that very reason. Three gunslingers can easily use it for a Mexican Standoff. It was amazing. Just adapt it to guns! It's fun!

Moofaa
2010-06-05, 10:37 PM
I updated the OP to include a lot of changes. This time I put in the actual skill checks and effects of success for the Confrontation abilities.

One good/bad thing about SAGA is the limited types of skills since they lump several things into one skill. It makes for awesomely streamlined mechanics but makes creating something like this a bit more challenging.

I think I have a good range of abilities using different skills so that everyone has an opportunity to use primary skills. Thinking I might need to include a confrontation ability that puts a penalty on your opponents next skill check. Not sure what else I can come up with. Maybe something that forces your opponent to choose Escalation but that could get out of control.

Also notice you can just humiliate someone if you beat them in the three rounds of Shootout instead of killing, and there are possible carry-over effects if you try to flee or if you manage to win.