PDA

View Full Version : Odd Things You Do

Tavar
2010-06-05, 12:50 PM
Title's pretty self explanatory.

To start, I enjoy cooking, but my eyes are really sensitive to onions. A minute or so after starting to cut them I tear up so badly that I can barely see. Not a good time to be wielding a sharp blade. One day I thought "There really ought to be some kind of airtight thing to put over you eyes, so that onion's won't bother them." After a second, I ran out of the room, got out my swim goggles, and then proceeded to cut the onions tear-free. Everyone who sees me do it think's I'm odd, but at least I can cut onions without taking a break every minute or so.

So, how about you?

Dr. Bath
2010-06-05, 12:55 PM
I sing/hum to myself to ignore hunger pangs.

Eloi
2010-06-05, 01:03 PM
I pick one thing and obsess over it for extending periods of time.
Case in point: I have a 30-post per day average on these forums, and have generated at least three character sheets.

arguskos
2010-06-05, 01:04 PM
I sing/hum to myself to ignore hunger pangs.
Protip: Eating fixes that issue too. Or did that change when I wasn't looking? :smalltongue:

Odd things I do, you inquire? Uh... I sing to myself when no one else is around, mostly cause I am a terrible singer. I treat sandwich making as an artform that no one really practices anymore. I have a very detailed system of coasters on my desk for drink placement. My hands have to remain constantly active, or they'll get numb and start hurting (not sure why), so I play with pens/pencils/pocket knives/whatever so that doesn't happen (also, this is why I carry 4+ pens everywhere). That's a decent list for the moment.

Eloi
2010-06-05, 01:06 PM
Protip: Eating fixes that issue too. Or did that change when I wasn't looking? :smalltongue:

Odd things I do, you inquire? Uh... I sing to myself when no one else is around, mostly cause I am a terrible singer. I treat sandwich making as an artform that no one really practices anymore. I have a very detailed system of coasters on my desk for drink placement. My hands have to remain constantly active, or they'll get numb and start hurting (not sure why), so I play with pens/pencils/pocket knives/whatever so that doesn't happen (also, this is why I carry 4+ pens everywhere). That's a decent list for the moment.

Hey, I have all those mannerisms too. Weird coincidence.

Recaiden
2010-06-05, 01:10 PM
Playing with pens or pencils when I have to make some sort of presentation comes to mind, my being reminded by reading of others' odd things.

arguskos
2010-06-05, 01:10 PM
Hey, I have all those mannerisms too. Weird coincidence.
What do you look like? You may be my evil clone. We must make sure... for SCIENCE!. :smallcool:

Adumbration
2010-06-05, 01:43 PM
I pick one thing and obsess over it for extending periods of time.
Case in point: I have a 30-post per day average on these forums, and have generated at least three character sheets.

The character sheets, at least, are nothing to worry about. On my account at the tangled web, I have 61 sheets, of which about 50 are completed and the rest unfinished for various reasons. I also have about 10 sheets at myth-weavers, and about a dozen for real life games. :smallwink:

This is over the span of last three years, since I joined these forums.

Actually, jeah, this may count as an odd thing I do.

Eloi
2010-06-05, 01:43 PM
What do you look like? You may be my evil clone. We must make sure... for SCIENCE!. :smallcool:

Probably nothing like you. I have a low height and weight, blonde, blue-eyes, wear predominantly black loose clothing. And if you have all that, dang, you might be my evil clone.

Eloi
2010-06-05, 01:44 PM
The character sheets, at least, are nothing to worry about. On my account at the tangled web, I have 61 sheets, of which about 50 are completed and the rest unfinished for various reasons. I also have about 10 sheets at myth-weavers, and about a dozen for real life games. :smallwink:

This is over the span of last three years, since I joined these forums.

Actually, jeah, this may count as an odd thing I do.

You should start a character-farm, giving out your character sheets for others to use.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-05, 01:45 PM
I have a bit of a verbal tic: I tend to, uh, squeak. A lot.
And I tend to mutter to myself/laugh to myself in the school hallways; I daydream a lot and when I get ideas for my stories I tend to say the dialogue out loud to see how it sounds.

Eloi
2010-06-05, 01:47 PM
I have a bit of a verbal tic: I tend to, uh, squeak. A lot.
And I tend to mutter to myself/laugh to myself in the school hallways; I daydream a lot and when I get ideas for my stories I tend to say the dialogue out loud to see how it sounds.

So you look kinda crazy whilst muttering odd sounding incarnations squeakily and laughing manically?
Sounds awesome, I'd probably hang out with you.

arguskos
2010-06-05, 01:49 PM
Probably nothing like you. I have a low height and weight, blonde, blue-eyes, wear predominantly black loose clothing. And if you have all that, dang, you might be my evil clone.
Let's see... 6'3", brown hair, 250 lbs, blue eyes, bright colored clothing. Yup, obviously evil clones. :smalltongue:

Oh, here's another odd thing I do: I use my trademark caustic black humor constantly. I was once called the Sultan of Sarcasm, a title I very much enjoyed. :smallcool:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-05, 01:51 PM
So you look kinda crazy whilst muttering odd sounding incarnations squeakily and laughing manically?
Sounds awesome, I'd probably hang out with you.

You know, I think there's a reason that I'm considered one of the biggest screwballs in school...:smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2010-06-05, 01:51 PM
Sometimes I start rocking out to silence. Sometimes I start walking weirdly. I actually started walking without moving my arms while at school, but only at school. Often while I'm talking, I'll trail off then finish my sentence ten minutes later. Even if the conversation had moved on.

Eloi
2010-06-05, 01:53 PM
Let's see... 6'3", brown hair, 250 lbs, blue eyes, bright colored clothing. Yup, obviously evil clones. :smalltongue:

Oh, here's another odd thing I do: I use my trademark caustic black humor constantly. I was once called the Sultan of Sarcasm, a title I very much enjoyed. :smallcool:

You are me if I were a tall guy and have brown hair, of course.
I can be very pitch-black with my humor sometimes. Among my feats of pitch black humor:
* I have scarred a troll away by having blacker pitched humor then them.
* I have joked minutes after almost dying from a dog attack.
* I know facts about bull elephants and hippos that'd probably make you laugh and reach for brain bleach at the same time.
So we're still evil clones of each other.

thubby
2010-06-05, 01:55 PM
i sit in chairs like L from deathnote.

Allan Surgite
2010-06-05, 01:57 PM
On speaking habits: I did have a rather minor speech impediment (mostly due to nerves), which was rectified with some help from my family. I do have a few odder speech habits: replying to questions as a full sentences (e.g. "Do you play chess?" is answered by "I do play chess, yes.") and speaking quite rapidly while doing so ("Idoplaychess, yes" might be the best way of showing it on a keyboard). Mainly because of the methods used to rectify the speech impediment.

I also carry a chess board whenever I carry a sufficiently large bag around with me. It never hurts to be safe... :smallwink:

Lord Thurlvin
2010-06-05, 01:59 PM
I talk to myself while I work. And by "talk to myself," I mean I repeat dialogue from movies and videogames.

Eloi
2010-06-05, 02:00 PM
i sit in chairs like L from deathnote.

I hold items like L. I never spill anything even if I'm carrying it by its rim with three fingers. Or holding a phone by its receiver.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-05, 02:02 PM
Haha, I sit just like L too. The only reason that I sit normally is that I get pins and needles after a while.

And I fidget. A lot. And I have a bit of an oral fixation.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-05, 02:14 PM
I have a constant need of doing somethig with my hands, it is VERY difficult for e to have them iddle (does that means arguskos, eloi and me are evil triplets?)

When having a problem doing whatever I tend to ask myself aloud "What if do X to solve Y" and the answer my self "no that won't work, but if I try Z maybe"... I had converstation with myself that last for hours :smalleek:

Allan Surgite
2010-06-05, 02:15 PM
I don't know how to exactly describe how I sit. I think it's normally describes as "having one leg over the other," but I'm not sure if that even makes sense as a description, so... yeah. Occasionally, I will cross my legs, even while I'm on a chair/stool/table. Bad habit from Year 1/2 of primary school.

I occasionally grip cups with three fingers (by the rim), but that tends to backfire when it has anything warm in it. Ah-ha.

-edit- And me to the list of "dislikes idleness in regards to hands." The only times when I can keep my hands relaxed is when I am eating or reading. Otherwise, I tend to fiddle with pens etcetera.

Rongue
2010-06-05, 02:34 PM
To a certain point and not the crazy kind I copy stuff that I see in anime and movies.
Basicaly I copy Bruce Lee kicks and stuff like that, or anything else I can do that wont kill me.... sometimes I sing a song that I heard, ect...
I day dream about being a hero in insane situations, or saving lives.
I also spend countless hours on youtube looking for one type of video. If I am into Gurren Lagann on that day then I spend hours a day looking up Gurren Lagann stuff. Sadly this current computer of mine does not have sound so I am limited.
I troll ( but not on here I wont) different internet forums and stuff. My trolling is not like other trolling though. Maybe one of you will get to see it one day. Recently I trolled the George W. Bush facebook page. I did not insult him just people that were trashing Obama unfairly. ( Not that big of an Obama fan but when people call him the worst president ever thats when I decide to push thier buttons. )

I put sun chips on my peanutbutter sandwitchs. I love the taste..... yummy... sunny goodness.

I also talk about doing wierd cosplays with my friends.... most of them use [ add random character name from anything here ] on a chocobo....... Like Anti-Sprial.... on a chocobo.......... so wrong.... but yet so right.

TheThan
2010-06-05, 02:36 PM
I treat sandwich making as an artform that no one really practices anymore. .

hah, so I'm not the only one.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-05, 02:37 PM
I do nearly everything in fours. 'Nuff said.
-Xavez

GrlumpTheElder
2010-06-05, 02:38 PM
I sort of subconciously take things apart and (sometimes) put them back together again.
Example?
Yesterday at a party, they were passing aroung these plastic champagne glasses, and I somehow managed to take the base off and get it stuck in the bowl...

I also trail of in the middle of some senta

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-06-05, 02:41 PM
I've been told I have very strange diction and little hand mannerisms when I talk.

I'm not sure how odd it is in the rest of the world, but I've lived in Canada all my life and never once met someone else who points only with their middle finger.

Whenever I'm waiting or am bored, I do that weird thing with the fingers li (http://saraschaefer.com/ss/mr%20burns.jpg)ke (http://robertpattinsonwho.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/comic-con-4.jpg) so (http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/5161887/2/istockphoto_5161887-hands-of-a-businessman-with-fingers-interlocked.jpg).

Oh, and I tend to start laughing in public when I remember something funny and laugh harder when I try to not laugh. Very weird looks it gives me.

This might be related to the first thing, but apparently I speak in anachronisms (the term used was "old timey words").

(This also might be part of the first thing,) I have this weird thing where I can never use a contraction where saying the words in the order given in the contraction would be weird grammar. (ex, someone ask me to do something, instead of saying "can't you do it?", I'll say "can you not do it?".

Allan Surgite
2010-06-05, 02:45 PM
This might be related to the first thing, but apparently I speak in anachronisms (the term used was "old timey words").

(This also might be part of the first thing,) I have this weird thing where I can never use a contraction where saying the words in the order given in the contraction would be weird grammar. (ex, someone ask me to do something, instead of saying "can't you do it?", I'll say "can you not do it?".
Join the club, we have two ping-pong balls and a casket of unopened ginger beer 8D

Superglucose
2010-06-05, 02:46 PM
I occasionally put mmy ski goggles on when doing extended computer time.

Jokasti
2010-06-05, 02:50 PM
Let's see. Minor CDO, everything should be in threes. I often get bad marks because I count the frequency of A's, b's, c's and d's. If it isn't even I change the last answers so that each is equal. I twiddle my fingers on my legs when they aren't doing anything, it reminds me of when I play piano which calms me. I mutter to myself, and get terrible nightmares from having night terrors never grew out of them. As a result I scare very easily from all the normal stuff and some wierd things like the sky, which I can't even explain to myself. I'm a whiz at math and I'm always counting stuff. And I lay my head on my arms when I'm bored in class which is often. I don't blink that often. And I'm a night owl.

Atelm
2010-06-05, 02:53 PM
My post on a similar thread a while back: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8320816&postcount=145

Apart from those, let's see...

When rewatching/rereading series, which I've watched/read before, I might suddenly pause the movie (or whatever) and start explaining things to myself about things relating to the series, and why they are so.

I recently caught myself doing this when rewatching the first season of Higurashi a while back, and confirming, yes, to myself that this is the part where I figured out the real culprit based on this and that evidence and foreshadowing presented.

I even stopped myself mid-self-exposition (that sounds dirty), and said out-loud; "What the hell am I doing?"

Naturally I only do this when alone, and there is no one around to hear. :smallsigh:

Eloi

Well I've been accused of using a sesquipedalian lexicon and possessing loquaciousness. I find these ungrounded claims very nonantidisestablishmentarianist.

Sneak
I often run instead of walking just because I don't want to spend the extra time that walking would take.

@^: Misuse of the word antidisestablishmentarianist. Grah.

Starscream
I'm completely nuts about cartoons. Like, seriously nuts.

One day a while back I had a long plane trip ahead of me. I was stressed, and decided to put something on my video mp3 player to watch during the flight. Normally I'm fine on planes, but the weather was bad, and the prospect of flying in such conditions was making me nervous.

But I couldn't think of anything that would sufficiently distract me. I was cruising Retrojunk for some ideas, and had a rather bizarre one. I would go through their list of TV show intros, and download every one of them that I had watched growing up, and see how long a playlist I could construct.

I ended up with 130 cartoon intros on my mp3 player (and a couple of live action ones). Watched that the whole flight and wasn't stressed out at all.

I kept them around, too. Finals week my senior year of college, I relaxed before my exams by watching that stuff. Some of my classmates asked what the hell, and I explained. I actually ended up passing around the headphones and letting them try. Pretty much everyone agreed that it was actually very good stress relief. A couple of them swore they were going to do that too.

Give it a shot yourselves. Just try being in a bad mood when you are watching the intro to Transformers or He-Man (or whatever you watched), and your inner five-year old is going "Yay!"

Dr. Bath
2010-06-05, 03:02 PM
I often run instead of walking just because I don't want to spend the extra time that walking would take.

I do this quite a lot. Also hate running. http://www.mspaintadventures.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/confusedjohn.gif

I also often 'sing' a random-noise filled song to fill awkward silence/people saying dumb things.

NekoJoker
2010-06-05, 03:04 PM
I constantly play with pens any other thing that has the same lenght. I tirl it around my fingers or flip themin the air.

I usually do this at my jopb with the skrewdriver.

I sometimes hide the same utensils inside my sleeves to draw them in a very odd ninja style...

I also have a thing about singing anime intro songs in Spanish... while walking down the street.

Corlindale
2010-06-05, 03:09 PM
Whenever I'm walking somewhere, if there's an obstacle in or near my path I tend to briefly run towards it, jump up on top of it and quickly jump down on the other side. Much more fun than walking around, and it feels strangely liberating to do. Probably looks weird though, but that doesn't bother me much:smallsmile:
When I'm out jogging I do it even more.

Quincunx
2010-06-05, 03:18 PM

To start, I enjoy cooking, but my eyes are really sensitive to onions. A minute or so after starting to cut them I tear up so badly that I can barely see. Not a good time to be wielding a sharp blade. One day I thought "There really ought to be some kind of airtight thing to put over you eyes, so that onion's won't bother them." After a second, I ran out of the room, got out my swim goggles, and then proceeded to cut the onions tear-free. Everyone who sees me do it think's I'm odd, but at least I can cut onions without taking a break every minute or so.

So, how about you?

. . .now I wish I had kept/knew what happened to my lab goggles. :smallfrown: What a great idea.

Trog
2010-06-05, 03:18 PM
Often, when I come to a stop while driving my car I reach down and grab the parking brake handle and press in the button for a quick second. Not sure how I began doing that but for a little while I did it every time I stopped without really thinking about it. I think I only do it now and then now. Or I've stopped noticing it altogether.

Edit: I slice onions by cutting off the top and bottom, slicing it in half, peeling off the outermost layer and laying them flat side down on the cutting board. Then I slice them 3/4 of the way through with several cuts. Finally I cut perpendicular to those cuts to finish the dice. This keeps the onion fumes to a minimum since there is little surface area exposed until the very end. By that time I'm done. No goggles needed. :smallcool:

Lady Tialait
2010-06-05, 03:22 PM
I tend to make accents for the moment, over the course of the day I have like...10 or 20 accents. And none of them are my natural accent.

Derjuin
2010-06-05, 03:28 PM
When I'm in front of a computer with a spinny wheely chair, I'll sit in it sideways, with my legs crossed and off to the side and my torso turned to the monitor. I also always perform the action of "sitting" in nearly the same position every time, and switch halfway through sitting. If I'm just sitting straight forward I always begin twisting from side to side, spinning on the chair.

I tap along to -most- music I listen to. If it has some kind of beat that allows tapping-to, I will tap to it. Even if I've got the beat wrong, I'll start tapping and knocking at my desk at home to the song. I can also scarcely tolerate rhyming in songs; sometimes it just sounds silly and forced.

I also tend to make up words, phrases, or modify phrases to fit whatever I feel like saying (a la previous two sentences; "spinny wheely chair" and "kind of beat that allows tapping-to"). Sometimes this confuses folks...and I have a hard time explaining it because it's just something I do. I also have recently begun enjoying greeting people in the morning with "Morningnongs" instead of "Good morning", but typically when it's just me and that person. Once I tried it with Evening, but it doesn't roll off my tongue just the right way. I also cannot say "Good evening" without taking on a stereotypical butler-Jeeves voice. "Goodeeevening." Occasionally I break out in an accent or speech pattern and I'm not really sure why.

I am very particular with the way my cheeses are done. I like cheesecake, I like pizza. I don't like cream cheese on bagels, I don't like mozzarella on a salad or almost anything else. I hate melted cheddar, I love block cheddar - so long as it's MILD darn you! I also can't stand eating most cheeses plain, except block MILD cheddar. Maybe wheel too, but I've never had it.

I move and wiggle my hands when I talk, even when the person isn't physically there. Sometimes I break out a flourish with them just because I can...but almost never when the person is actually there.

I'll get extremely excited over something, then shortly after become incredibly cautious about it. Then excited again, then cautious. It generally ends with me going "Gee I really didn't need to be so cautious about that".

Repetition of a word or phrase at the beginning or end of a sentence; the repetition is just so freaking annoying. Well, actually, sometimes the repetition is okay, like in music - IF it is of good quality. Otherwise the repetition kills it, like I'm doing to this sentence right now. the

Obvious grammar mistakes made "because I'm lazy". They seem to trigger a tic in me that must be the residual English Teacher essence from my ancestors or something. Howevur gramer misteaks maed 4 iruny sumtiems is funy 2 em (http://www.wowwiki.com/Alamo).

Adumbration
2010-06-05, 03:35 PM
I usually sit in a lotus position, whenever I can, particularly if I'm sitting on the floor.

I read more fantasy and science fiction than anyone I know, and fast. I've occasionally found myself completing a book late at night that I've started reading in the morning. I also read almost all of my books in a language non-native to me: English, that is.

When in class, I occasionally spin a pen around my fingers. I actually started it on purpose after seeing some cool videos on the internet, but didn't have the manual dexterity to do it. Still don't, I sort of just pass it from one finger onto another in a chain that goes over and over my hand.

And on the onions... I usually wet the onion and the knife before slicing it to get the acidic fumes into soluble form. It helps, but you have to remember to wet each new surface that you cut. I usually slice them near the tap.

golentan
2010-06-05, 03:38 PM
I wash the inside of my nose, at regular intervals. No soap, just a little bit of water and a very soft washcloth. I shave my feet. I drink from cups by holding the rim rather than the handle. I read on the roof.

Lord Raziere
2010-06-05, 03:44 PM
I also sit sorta like L.

For some reason I sit still for minutes on end without any purpose whatsoever, I just sit there doing nothing, not even thinking, like I just shut down or something while I am still awake.

At the same time, I tend to pace a lot.

I also tend to break out into accents and random intervals.

Pocketa
2010-06-05, 03:46 PM

So, how about you?

They sell onion goggles at my local grocer.

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-06-05, 03:55 PM
I remembered some more:
I randomly climb trees and eat/nap/read in them. Whenever people ask me about this, I say something like this (http://xkcd.com/291/)

I read/hear things really dirtily, like I had to reread the first sentence of NeroJoker's post a few times before I got my mind out of the gutter and figured out what he was trying to say.

Edit: Whenever I write something, I write in cursive, and since the v is similar to the z, I always accidentally write "wave" as "waze".

Drakevarg
2010-06-05, 04:18 PM
I hold my phone like L.

I sing "When You're Evil" and "Slaughter Your World" repeatedly when taking a walk. As such, they're the only songs I can sing well.

When I'm thinking, I take a Gendo Ikari pose.

I have trouble sleeping if I'm not blasting loud music.

I use words in my casual dialogue that utterly baffle most of my peers. One of the perks of having a lexiophile father.

That's all I can think of right now.

Dvil
2010-06-05, 04:56 PM
I tend to start a lot of my sentences with 'er', though I've never been called out on it so I guess it's not too annoying. I've also started to type it on IM programs.

I tend to make spelling errors that really only make sense as keyboard typos (for instance swapping s for d).

When I need to think about something for more than a couple of seconds, I talk aloud about my thought process even though that only slows me down because I'm listening to what I just said instead of thinking about something else.

That's all I can think of for now.

fetfet
2010-06-05, 05:10 PM
I play air-instruments on the subway. Usually just like the guitar, or I tap my foot to the bass drum, but sometimes when the beat is good, or a particularily good riff/motif comes up, I go all out: keyboards, snare drum, upright bass, trumpet. I get weird looks on the subway.

Also I imagine that a stain on a window are lasers, and can't touch cars or they'll melt. When a car comes near I close my eyes, which, as we all know, turns off lasers, and then open them about a second later.

Also I have a tendency to start yelling in the middle of sentences.

I'm a weird kid.

Drakevarg
2010-06-05, 06:21 PM
Just remembered another one: sometimes when I'm talking (or even typing), I'll randomly drop into nonspecific accents. (Usually some odd variation of British/Scottish/Irish.)

Exeson
2010-06-05, 06:52 PM
A friend once said that my worst quality is that he always feels that when he is around me my every step is exactly measured for maximum dramatic effect.

And he is not wrong. My odd thing is I treat life like a stage, and the world is my audience, this results in a love for being extravagant and generally over the top when the moment takes me.

Eloi
2010-06-05, 06:57 PM
A friend once said that my worst quality is that he always feels that when he is around me my every step is exactly measured for maximum dramatic effect.

And he is not wrong. My odd thing is I treat life like a stage, and the world is my audience, this results in a love for being extravagant and generally over the top when the moment takes me.

Oh, that reminds me I randomly dance in place of walking. I don't turn around, I moonwalk to the direction I want to go, I also randomly spin on one-foot for no-reason, and I often snap my fingers for little reason. It looks quite silly, I try to do that in private, but its really hard to keep from doing that.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-06-05, 06:59 PM
I have a number of odd habits. Probably OCD-related because of my Asperger's Syndrome.

I have a collection of random objects I call my "fidgets," which ranges from golf-tees to polished rocks to broken pieces of old toys to erasers. I usually keep one of these things in my pocket at all times (most of the time it's a wooden clay knife I pilfered from my art class), and when I'm alone I like to take it out and play around with it.

I use far too much toilet paper. I just don't feel clean if I don't. This habit really irritates my family, especially since it's caused me to clog the toilet on several occasions, and it's an expensive compulsion as well.

I don't like the feeling of certain things on my hands. If my hands are sticky, sweaty, if I've recently touched something made of metal like a door handle or loose change, or anything like that, I usually try to find a place to wash my hands. I'm not so OCD that I wash my hands until they bleed, or wear a surgical mask or something, but I probably wash my hands more than the average person.

One habit that my family has noted is that when I walk or stand, my head always seems to hang to one side. They keep telling me to stand up straight because it looks weird when I go out in public.

potatocubed
2010-06-05, 07:12 PM
I eat my cinema tickets.

Drakevarg
2010-06-05, 07:28 PM
I have a collection of random objects I call my "fidgets," which ranges from golf-tees to polished rocks to broken pieces of old toys to erasers. I usually keep one of these things in my pocket at all times (most of the time it's a wooden clay knife I pilfered from my art class), and when I'm alone I like to take it out and play around with it.

I don't actually have an organized collection for it, but I also fidget with small or mildly interesting objects. I also chew on things constantly. Gum doesn't work for me -- it's gotta be a hard object, like a pencil. It's like I'm always teething or something.

I don't like the feeling of certain things on my hands. If my hands are sticky, sweaty...

What, you mean that's not normal? :smallconfused:

Oh, another one - apparently I have Hide In Plain Sight (Ex). I seem to have a natural talent for sneaking right up to my friends without them noticing. And given my taciturn nature, I might be standing there for several seconds before any of them notices me.

arguskos
2010-06-05, 07:29 PM
I eat my cinema tickets.
waitwut :smallconfused:

Starscream
2010-06-05, 07:34 PM
I eat my cinema tickets.

Healthier than most theater snacks.

Oh, here's another one: I use tons of British slang, even though I'm American. I blame it on the steady diet of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett books during adolescence.

I also tend to use cursewords from fictional sources. Frak, smeg, zark, frell, plevit, frag, etc. I must sound like a scifi convention with Tourettes when I'm upset.

Oh, another one - apparently I have Hide In Plain Sight (Ex). I seem to have a natural talent for sneaking right up to my friends without them noticing. And given my taciturn nature, I might be standing there for several seconds before any of them notices me.

I do something similar. Apparently, I don't make any noise when I move. Like, at all. I even breathe quiet. I've had more than one person yell at me for that, because they think I'm sneaky on purpose.

Makes me think I missed a good career as a ninja.

arguskos
2010-06-05, 07:39 PM
Frak, smeg, zark, frell, plevit, frag, etc.
I can add another one, one I use: tanj (there ain't no justice).

Drakevarg
2010-06-05, 07:47 PM
I do something similar. Apparently, I don't make any noise when I move. Like, at all. I even breathe quiet. I've had more than one person yell at me for that, because they think I'm sneaky on purpose.

Makes me think I missed a good career as a ninja.

It's even more bizarre for me, since I used DEX as my dump stat. I'm extremely inflexible and generally don't have very good coordination (hand-eye coordination from years of vidjagaming notwithstanding), but for some reason, as long as no one is looking directly at me I can almost always sneak up on them.

Occasionally someone DOES sense me coming, but it's not because I make any noise - apparently they simply detect a dark aura or something, and realize that I must be nearby.

Salbazier
2010-06-05, 09:16 PM
let see...

I walk around when thinking, especially when imagining stories
I daydream too often, these days much of them DnD (ugh!)

There should be more..

Eloi
2010-06-05, 09:40 PM
let see...

I walk around when thinking, especially when imagining stories
I daydream too often, these days much of them DnD (ugh!)

There should be more..

I don't think I need to say I have this behavior too by now.

Are you all just like me or do I just have a lot of unrelated odd traits that aren't so odd?

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-06-05, 09:41 PM
Healthier than most theater snacks.

Oh, here's another one: I use tons of British slang, even though I'm American. I blame it on the steady diet of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett books during adolescence.

I also tend to use cursewords from fictional sources. Frak, smeg, zark, frell, plevit, frag, etc. I must sound like a scifi convention with Tourettes when I'm upset.

Heh, I do both of these. I have been known to say "gorram" with some frequency.

fetfet
2010-06-05, 09:47 PM
Heh, I do both of these. I have been known to say "gorram" with some frequency.

Ditto. Swearing in Mandarin (or as close as someone who doesn't speak Mandarin can get) too.

Also, I drop into a virry bid Sith Ifrican Accint ocaisionally.

Orzel
2010-06-05, 10:09 PM
I can't watch people embarrass or get embarrassed themselves on TV if it's sad or messed up. I have an urge to change the channel.

My head tends to tilt to the right whenever I'm not doing anything important.

I eat and drink fast for no reason. I actually have to slow my intake manually.

I can't talk on a phone call for longer than a minute and not pace around. Therefore I can't take phone call in places where I can't pace. Buses, Cars, Walking to a destination. Work. I once had to get off a train to pace and talk at the station.

My automatic response to "Where were you?" is "Mexico". Even when in Mexico.

Pyrian
2010-06-05, 11:49 PM
It amuses me that this thread grew to three pages in less than 12 hours. :smallcool:

I don't tend to notice that the things I do are odd. :smallconfused: I'm sure there are plenty but for the life of me I can't bring any to mind. Like the onion thing, they all make sense to ME.

I get the most comments about my little calorie sheets. It's just a post-it folded in half onto which I write down what I eat each day and, if immediately available, how many calories. They're very small, and they come out after, well, virtually any consumption: "Ohh, thanks!" *nomnom* *scribblescribble*

Partof1
2010-06-06, 12:38 AM
I compulsively pepper my conversations with bits of old english, and other little used words. "Indeed" and "aye" are common. "Spiffy" is used occasionally.

I also click my tongue as a sign of acknowledgement sometimes.

And I can crack almost every joint in my body. My neck scares my family.

I think that's nigh it.

Drakevarg
2010-06-06, 12:44 AM
Oh, right, the neck-cracking thing. I do that alot.

I also use "Wot wot" as a verbal tic sometimes.

Setra
2010-06-06, 12:59 AM
When I'm tired, I close my left eye out of habit. I don't know why I do it, it just sorta happens.

I sing when no one is around, mostly because my singing is horrible, but the act itself is fun.

When I eat crackers, I like to eat them vertically, rather than normally (ie. biting into the edges).

I have a redneck accent, but it only comes out when I'm really tired and relaxed.

When I see tiles on the floor, I immediately develop a system of how I am supposed to walk on them, depending on the pattern of the tiles.

Instead of greeting people, I will often say an animal sound (ie. Moo, Meow).

Allan Surgite
2010-06-06, 05:39 AM
"Indeed" and "aye" are common. "Spiffy" is used occasionally.
Those qualify as "old english?" Oh dear.

@Salbazier; you're not alone, there. I can work out stories, but I must be walking around or in a moving vehicle of some sort (with the exception of aeroplanes). At any other time, I don't really work too hard on such things.

Dogmantra
2010-06-06, 05:41 AM
When I see tiles on the floor, I immediately develop a system of how I am supposed to walk on them, depending on the pattern of the tiles.

Wait, there are people who don't do this? :smallconfused:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-06-06, 06:25 AM

I was thinking the same. Not to mention that the poor chap meant to say 'spiffing'.

I have a tendency towards drinking from a bottle with the side of my mouth, which others seem to find most strange. I drink normally from a cup, however.

Quincunx
2010-06-06, 08:27 AM
One innovation, then half a hundred people posting the same behaviors, and now one post of synthesis. These are not 'odd' behaviors in the sense of being unusual, they must be behaviors which make us perceive ourselves as odd and unusual, and then behaviors which make us perceive ourselves as friends when meeting others with the same traits, as we can now be friendly without losing the distinction of being odd. Does the person sitting next to us in real life enjoy these behaviors and we fail to perceive them while doing them ourselves? Are you the only conscious human being among the cattle? (Sheep take exercise.)

The mutability of spelling as regards typos and (thanks to Tricksy Hobbits for the datum) illegible writing begins to worry me greatly. If proofread material is no longer the only arbiter of correct spellings, language is about to mutate again and dramatically. On the other hand, the idea that it may not be a particular malfunction of my own brain gives me hope I'm not going prematurely senile. Once language (and I) were perfected, and now it (we) is (are) not.

To perhaps add something to the thread, it's not unheard-of to think analytically, but it's not the most popular mindset either. Nor is it unheard-of to find the same compulsive gestures to the same music as other compulsives would find, without comparing behaviors. Hear this chord progression, perform that step. There's no distinction in having a cluttered house clean enough to eat off the visible portion of the floor, or cutting onions perpendicular to their rings, peeling off rings which grew at a diagonal and dealing with them in a separate chopping operation. There's no pride in understanding the logic of crazy people yet seeing the assumption of a law which doesn't exist, without which the argument fails, nor in seeing the laws which do exist which the people obeying those laws refuse to acknowledge. (Witness of eating, witness of loss of control, loss of control in eating goes unacknowledged, madwoman refuses not only to be seen while eating but blames the food for the loss of control, not one human or another.)

Last but not least, tell me: how many calories are there in a post-it note or a cinema ticket? Inquiring minds want to know. :smallamused:

SDF
2010-06-06, 08:47 AM
Did you know?: Calories on food labels are actually kilocalories of the SI measurement. So every time you count calories multiply that number by a thousand. :smallamused: A HS chem lab should have the equipment to tell you how many calories are in something. I actually have the procedures, but not the equipment. :smalltongue:

Often I wear only my right sock.
I stare at the police as they pass me.

Adumbration
2010-06-06, 08:48 AM
Could you rephrase/clarify the intent of your post there a bit, Quincunx? I'm not sure I quite follow your chain of thought.

Ashen Lilies
2010-06-06, 09:53 AM
Given the primary ingredient in paper is cellulose, which our poorly equipped human stomachs cannot digest, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 'not very many.'
Good source of fiber though.

RandomNPC
2010-06-06, 10:04 AM
kinnetic leg, if I sit in a chair with my legs down i bounce my left leg constantly. It gets me in troubble sometimes, so I also tend to sit like L.

apparently I have odd manerisms when I talk, both spoken and in my gestures, I oten have to repeat myself, and completely re-phrase what I said to get some people to understand. This seems to stem from positive words and negative body language, or the other way around.

waterpenguin43
2010-06-06, 10:20 AM
I stretch my jaws often, so people can see tiny twitches on my mouth.

Water increases my analytical ability and decreases my empathy.

I speak too fast and my words end up getting mixed together.

Other things too, but I can't remember them...

Yarram
2010-06-06, 10:49 AM
I do things while I'm walking... They make me feel comfortable.

I step between cracks, and sing quietly and/or loudly to myself depending on company or lack there-of.
I also do 360 turns while I'm walking constantly.

I tend not to look at people I talk to.

If I'm concentrating entirely on something, sometimes I'll answer someone elses question without knowing what they said consciously.

Quincunx
2010-06-06, 11:32 AM
Could you rephrase/clarify the intent of your post there a bit, Quincunx? I'm not sure I quite follow your chain of thought.

Oddities are like horoscopes: they may seem to mark the individual but are instead designed to make you feel like part of a crowd.

The Internet and cell phones are not just messing with conventional spelling, but with the wiring of our brains that stops us from being dyslexic.

There's only one degree of difference between psychotic and sane.

I don't know how many Calories (or kilojoules) are in a gram of cardboard and am unwilling to do the experiment or research to find out.

Kaelaroth
2010-06-06, 11:44 AM
Well, I kill people and eat hands. That's two things! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZUPCB9533Y)

On another note, I had a longer, prepared answer to this, realised I sounded insane, and deleted it. This one's nicer.

Trog
2010-06-06, 11:54 AM
Oddities are like horoscopes: they may seem to mark the individual but are instead designed to make you feel like part of a crowd.
That depends on how odd we're talking about here. At a certain level it does set you apart. If you eat roofing nails for lunch every day, say. But, yes, most of the posts in this thread aren't going to qualify for that level of odd. And I think everyone knows that at one level or another. None of these things are very likely to make us a beautiful or unique snowflake. Still, they're fun to share now and then. :smallsmile:

Salbazier
2010-06-06, 11:58 AM
@Allan A. Aokage

nice to know it:smallbiggrin:

Other habits:

I talk to myself
When I imagining a story, I tend to sound the SFX (yeah..)
I check the time when I confused/nervous/thinking something I don't want to think to distract myself.
Sometimes I also got inspiration by rolling on the bed.

ehmm, what else.. does thinking in two language counts?

Not, something I do, but it is odd: When I hear sound like metal scratching I feel odd in my tongue. Singular case of synthesia? :smallconfused:

Drakevarg
2010-06-06, 01:40 PM

Well, I'm not sure about the rest of ye, but for me at least my 'oddities' aren't odd to me at all. I'm merely pointing them out based on the virtue that they deviate from the norm. They're by no means unique; simply not average.

The marking of individuality is mostly from the fact that my particular collection of quirks is not quite the same as another persons particular collection of quirks.

Partof1
2010-06-06, 08:55 PM

No no. Old english AND those. I've been working on using forsooth more often, and I know there are actual old english things, but I don't do them consciulsly anymore, nd don't think about them out of context.

Cleverdan22
2010-06-06, 09:27 PM
Well, let's see here. I make the face of whatever I'm drawing, which can lead to...interesting scenarios. I've been told I have an odd laugh, though that's just more of a flaw. Oh! I'm growing a mustache because my razor is at one house and my shaving cream is at the other, and I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

Erothayce
2010-06-06, 09:59 PM
Let's see I can't keep my hands or feet idle for very long without going crazy. I'm always playing with something and tapping my feet. I hold my left arm at a 90 degree angle without realizing it a lot but that's probably due to breaking it and the residual pain. I play with my septum piercing with my upper lip a lot without realizing it. That's about all i can think of right now.

Anuan
2010-06-07, 05:50 AM
I don't think I need to say I have this behavior too by now.

Are you all just like me or do I just have a lot of unrelated odd traits that aren't so odd?

You are in fact a gestalt entity comprised entirely of the collective weird habits of the Playground.

Phae Nymna
2010-06-07, 07:25 AM
1. There is almost constant music playing in my head.
2. Cold showers turn me on.
3. I forget to eat.

Delusion
2010-06-07, 09:12 AM
Talk to myself while I think I am alone.

Constantly switch my weight from one leg to another and I am unable to stay put for a long time if I don't have anything to focus on.

Often shudder randomly.

valadil
2010-06-07, 09:15 AM
I thank ATMs when they give me money. I figure I'd rather be on their good side when robots enslave humanity.

Drakevarg
2010-06-07, 12:59 PM
I only speak English fluently, but randomly pepper my speech with bits of German and Japanese. (Usually really simple things like "danke" and "hai".)

arguskos
2010-06-07, 01:09 PM
I speak the Sigilian Cant well enough to get by if I ever find myself in Sigil. :smalleek:

Teddy
2010-06-07, 04:04 PM
I always try to calculate in my head (as long as it doesn't get too complicated (which is pretty complicated already, and nothing an ordinary person would dream of doing without electronic aid)), even when I've got a calculator within arm's reach. Sometimes I even beat my friends who furiously tap on their calculators.

I subconciously copy other people's dialects, which might linger for a few hours afterwards.

I've got a knack for mixing the truly obvious with obscure knowledge and educated guessings. I use to say (jokingly) that this is the main reason that people tend to see me as a really smart guy.

--Lime--
2010-06-07, 04:07 PM
I sell my forgiveness for about $1000US

And I never use a spellchecker. Ever.

onthetown
2010-06-07, 07:06 PM
I talk to myself as if somebody is asking me questions about what I'm doing; mostly when I'm alone, but people have walked in on me at work saying, "Yes, you put the Diagnostic Imaging files under the blue tab in the chart. You file away the chart by looking at the last two numbers..." etc etc. Like I have my own reality show in my head. I can't control it very well, though. :smalleek: I just seem to like giving step-by-steps, I guess.

If I'm around my friends I'll start to murmur very quietly and catch myself, and then they'll want to know what I was going to say and I'll just tell them I lost my train of thought. :smalltongue:

I also sometimes do this in French, which is my second language, or I'll throw in a few words from other languages. I think it's just a general love of language.

I also match other people's dialects and accents. It was very embarassing to meet a British lady with a strong accent and end up talking to her in said accent the next time I asked her a question. She thought I was making fun of her at first, but once I explained that I just sort of did it without realizing it, all was well.

Maximum Zersk
2010-06-07, 07:16 PM
If somebody sort of bumps into me, I'll say "I'm sorry," regardless of whether it was my faulty or not.

I'll walk all the way around my house to get to the washroom, instead of going straight there.

I am never able sit down. If I'm working on something - anything - I'll just randomly get up and start walking around.

I'll ask somebody a question, and then I'll just phase out halfway through their answer.

I hate it when something is asymmetrical.

I can't focus on something such as school work.

Cobalt
2010-06-07, 07:37 PM
I find myself incapable of holding down a rant conversation with someone without going off on tangets very loosely related to what I was talking about. Posting a different story, obviously.

...I think.

This. OMG, this. I can't stand it when something is uneven. I'll stop an entire conversation just to get up and fix something across the room if it's asymmetrical.

Dvandemon
2010-06-07, 07:56 PM
I subconciously copy other people's dialects, which might linger for a few hours afterwards.

I had a weird vibe that I was doing this last weekend. In math I constantly second guess myself, so I usually get the problem wrong when the first one was correct. I can be meticulous even though I have a poor eye for detail. I'm also a dorky perfectionist (i.e. I'm socially awkward, but want attention) so when I do something, I plan so big I sorta fry my brain with the thought of "How can you possibly do that!?". I list my likes and dislikes at least every week so I don't forget them :smallbiggrin:

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-09, 10:57 PM
I swordfight myself with pens when i'm bored

Drakevarg
2010-06-09, 11:14 PM

This is why most DnD artwork drives me nuts.

Dancing_Zephyr
2010-06-10, 09:37 AM
I sometimes stand with one foot on top of the other.