PDA

View Full Version : Technology 3.5 - Discussion Corner

imp_fireball
2010-06-05, 02:34 PM
I've been trying to bring technology into 3.5 and with it, ways to modify and improve weapons.

But I need public opinion on whether or not these rules are easy to interpret or if they are feasible. I encourage anyone replying to this thread to give examples of what they think isn't usable with this set of rules.

All right, here it is.
-------

There's three functions (that's what I will call them for now) that apply to all weapons: features, utilities and properties.

Features - Features are passive, static, linear, and improve on the basis of enhancement bonus, scaling to enhancement bonus like magical additions to items in ordinary D&D 3.5. An example of a feature would be 'fiery burst'. The only property features can change is the number of modifications that can be made to the weapon that count as 'regular' or less (anything more is always higher then 'regular' such as 'major' or requires the weapon to be built from the ground up with a new craft check).

Utilities - Utilities are additions to weapons or bonuses provided by the weapon itself. Utilities can also apply to other items whose sole purpose is to provide a utility or multitude of such. For example, a locked gauntlet has a bonus to resist disarm attempts against weapons wielded with the gaultlet and the gauntlet can also do lethal unarmed damage. Applying a utility to a weapon counts as a modification. This can include another weapon, but a 'switch to weapon' function must be applied to it for it not to become a property of the weapon (ie. a sword that transforms into a cross bow with the press of a trigger on the hilt; a sword that is both a crossbow and a sword simultaneously is a property of the weapon).

Properties - Properties are core functions of a weapon that identify it. Only some properties can be modified such as damage or 'reach' or 'double weapon' but other properties change without your control, such as 'martial' to 'exotic'. Properties can usually only be adjusted slightly without a new craft check, but some properties are only very slight adjustments (such as a sawed off shotgun as opposed to a regular shotgun - whereas making the shotgun a 'pump action' would be applying a utility and then adjusting the properties).

NOTE: All of the above also applies to armor and shields.

lightningcat
2010-06-05, 11:41 PM
If you're asking for what I think you are asking for (and it has been a very long day for me, so I could be wrong), you might want to try to find and look through the WoW RPG books. They have a technology system that might work for you.

Jane_Smith
2010-06-06, 12:16 AM
Id love to find a pdf or site with those rules for making tech... i -got- the wow rpg book, but i got it from a used book store and of course, the technology bit has a page missing. : /

imp_fireball
2010-06-06, 02:32 AM
I'm not asking for advice on a technology system - I'm asking if what I've proposed makes sense to any of you.

BLiZme.2
2010-06-06, 11:57 PM
The short answer appears to be no. I know i don’t understand any of the mechanics you are getting at. You seem to be discussing interpretations and finesse not a reference. Write out your system then we can talk about it with a common frame of reference as it stands its like trying to rebuild the rules for spell casting based on one or two spells from the SRD with nothing else.

BLiZme.2
2010-06-07, 12:03 AM
You seem to have divided modifications in to 3 types Features (has 2 types major and minor) Utilities & Properties. These distinctions are not entirely (mostly?) clear.
changing some things requires a new craft check IE means rebuilding from scratch and others do not, what they require is unclear.

imp_fireball
2010-06-07, 03:09 PM
as it stands its like trying to rebuild the rules for spell casting based on one or two spells from the SRD with nothing else.

The OP was actually a summary of the entire outline.
-----

When modifying a weapon, you can either modify it's features, it's properties or its utilities.

When modifying a utility you can choose to remove a utility of the weapon, thus freeing up a 'modification slot' or adding on a utility, thus filling a 'modification slot'. Utilities can serve pretty much any function that isn't covered by properties or features, as long as the GM approves.

Ie. Coffee Maker, MP3 player, quick dissassembly function (+X on checks to repair weapon), retractable bayonet, quick loader, weapon transformation, radio, etc.

Applying a utility to a weapon is a techcraft (new skill) check which costs time in accordance to the number of 'craft points' needed ('craft points' relate only to tech craft for this purpose and are not at all associated with craft checks to create new weapons) and an arbitrary (GM discretion) money expenditure.

Removing a utility from a weapon does not usually require as many craft points (usually about 1/4, or GM discretion) and only a minor money expenditure, or none at all.

Crafting a utility is an associated craft check.

Simple Weapons and Shields usually have 5-8 modification slots + Enhancement Bonus that Weapon Scales to (in accordance to its features; +1 for Master Work).

Martial Weapons and Shields usually have 3-5 modification slots + Enhancement Bonus that Weapon Scales to (in accordance to its features; +1 for Master Work).

Exotic Weapons and Shields usually have 1-3 modification slots + Enhancement Bonus that Weapon Scales to (in accordance to its features; +1 for Master Work).

Armor has a number of modification slots equal to 1d10 + Enhancement Bonus that Armor Scales to (in accordance to its features; +1 for Master Work) or GM discretion.

NOTE: If modifications are added to a weapon, armor or shield beyond their allowed modification slots, the techcraft DC is increased by an incremental +4 for each additional modification beyond the first added to the weapon, armor or shield.

---
Properties are what make up a weapon. Ie. A sword is sharp, a mace is blunt, etc.

Properties include damage type, damage, two handed, martial, exotic, simple, reach, double weapon, range, material, etc. For armor, they also include, light, medium or heavy.

Changing the properties of a weapon, shield or armor requires an associated craft check. Changes can be minor, regular, major or impossible, mostly at GM discretion. Minor changes require only a few hours at most (ie. sawed off shotgun, new paint job, etc.) and a very small DC for the craft check that can be performed unskilled (usually 1/8 craft points for crafting item or less), regular changes might involve changing the material of the weapon by forging a new alloy by injecting reacting compounds/elements into the weapon's material - the craft check for such a change could be typical, requiring a few days or weeks time, money and even another craft check (ie. Craft Chemical) if the player wants to reduce the DC. Craft points are usually about 1/2 required craft points for crafting the actual item.

Major changes might involve increasing the weight of the weapon, extending its length to give it reach, increasing its damage and/or damage type, making it a double weapon, extending its range, making it easier to apply utilities - such changes might convert the weapon's class from martial to exotic or require the weapon to be remade as masterwork. The DC is also higher than normal, and money expenditure is greater than normal. Craft points are usually almost equal to what is required to craft the item originally or even more.

Impossible changes usually end up changing the weapon completely (ie. a great sword is now a rapier or a heavy shield is now a tower shield) and in such cases the GM rules that the weapon should be broken into its baser components and remade with a new craft check; make a second craft check at the same DC to determine if any material was lost during the disassembly/salvaging process (material lost is equal to what is lost on a drastic failure of a craft check as normal) - the cost of making the new item is reduced by the cost of making the previous item (should be noted), but only if the previous item is composed of similar material to the new item (GM discretion).

NOTE: Making a new item out of the previous one destroys any utilities attached to the weapon as well as features; however, features can be duplicated with a new craft check, assuming it's high enough and enough time is invested (see features below).

---
Features are essentially the quality of the weapon. Any feature of the weapon scales to enhancement bonus as regular D&D - many features also mimic the magical affects seen in regular D&D (ie. Keen, Vorpal, Fiery Burst, etc.).

Features must be applied to a weapon on the initial craft check, which are often un-attainable and require a lot of time (months or years - usually 20 times regular craft points or more due to finesse involved) without drafting an appropriate blue print with techcraft (which requires appropriate ranks in Knowledge (Science and Technology); some appropriate knowledge is only attainable at GM discretion, ie. through a quest) and having Craft Technological Arms and Armor (feat; reduces time to craft by divisor of 10).

-----------
Any further explanation needed? :smallsigh: