PDA

View Full Version : Talented feat question

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-05, 05:25 PM
Was planning on using the Talented feat (http://dndsrd.net/psionicFeats.html#talented) or a build and was pondering what exactly it means by '3rd level power'. If I augment it it is still a power you gain at 3rd level, but enhanced to be the equivalent of a higher level.

So does it mean 3rd level or lower power, augment and all, or unaugmented 3rd level or higher?

Private-Prinny
2010-06-05, 05:28 PM
An augmented 3rd level power is still a 3rd level power.

Jarian
2010-06-05, 05:29 PM
It means a power of 3rd level or lower, regardless of augment.

Godskook
2010-06-05, 05:32 PM
I can't answer it, but to clear it up slightly, it has nothing to do with ECL 3, only power-level 3, which is an analogue of spell level 3. I'm not sure if that means pre-augment or post-augment, but either way, the PP cost would be 5 or less.

I'd argue that it is referring to the preaugment cost, as otherwise, talented really doesn't do anything after L5 or so, when you wouldn't even want to overchannel a power if you were spending, post-augment, 5 PP or less.

Optimystik
2010-06-05, 09:05 PM
The whole point of Talented is to let you augment powers higher (by Overchanneling them to raise their limits.) For it to use post-augmented cost to determine power level makes no sense.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-05, 09:36 PM
Well, was wanting to make sure. Got a 12 level character here with overchannel and talented who can now, with everyone still making their saves, take 40 points of damage from every creature in a 20 foot radius with hostile empathic transfer. 80 per creature on a failed save.

Stab yourself a few times and wade into the enemy and that could get pretty brutal.

Optimystik
2010-06-05, 09:54 PM
Eh, I've seen worse effects with a [Mind-Affecting] tag attached.

Starbuck_II
2010-06-05, 10:16 PM
Well, was wanting to make sure. Got a 12 level character here with overchannel and talented who can now, with everyone still making their saves, take 40 points of damage from every creature in a 20 foot radius with hostile empathic transfer. 80 per creature on a failed save.

Stab yourself a few times and wade into the enemy and that could get pretty brutal.

Just don't read Complete Psionics
(they have an alternate version of the power that is much limited and takes +1 creature per augment, so need to augment alot to get more than 2, not a 20 ft radius).

Not really errata, but alternate version is I read it. :smallbiggrin: