PDA

View Full Version : The Archpaladin's Crummy Week

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-06-05, 06:51 PM
I feel like this week has just been one crappy thing happening after another.

Tuesday morning I tried to use the internet, only for the computer to be bombarded by viruses for no apparent reason. My sister assumes I'm responsible since I go to "weird" websites, and frankly I'm starting to agree with her, since DeviantArt seems to be a hunting ground for these stupid Anti-Virus-disguised-viruses. The viral problem was fixed, but it crippled my internet access, forcing me to go to the library to get anything done here. And I had to go on foot!
On Wednesday night, I had a brief, nasty bout of food poisoning at about 1 in the morning, apparently so loud my brother woke up.
Thursday I came down with one of those annoyingly debilitating colds that makes your throat scratchy and your voice all hoarse.
Also, my great aunt passed away this week, and I had the honor of cantoring at her funeral this morning...with a hoarse voice from my cold. I miss her greatly already, but I feel that my cold really hampered my performance.
And finally, just now, my glasses broke. I was cleaning them after a nap and the bridge inexplicably snapped, leaving my glasses broke in two perfect halves. I can see okay without my glasses, but I need them if I wanna do something like watch a movie or read the menu at a fast-food joint. They're made of memory metal, so I don't get how the center became so brittle all of a sudden. I take VERY good care of my glasses. I never leave them someplace where they'd get crushed by accident and make sure to clean them whenever I put them on. Until I get a new set of frames, it looks like I'm going have to resort to the Harry Potter look. What I wouldn't give for an Oculus Reparo spell right now.

So...yeah, I'm feeling pretty irritated by all the garbage that's gone on this week. My internet just got fixed, and I'm feeling better from my cold already, but my glasses breaking for no apparent reason kind of cemented this week into ****iness for me. I didn't want to whine about my insignificant problems, but frankly I really could use a little sympathy right now. :smallsigh:

Mystic Muse
2010-06-05, 06:59 PM
*hug*

Hope things work out okay. Maybe you should stay off Deviantart at your home computer? You might be able to get on it at the library. Depends on what you're looking for on there.

Lycan 01
2010-06-05, 07:12 PM
Sorry to hear about all that, man. And my condolences for your Aunt. :smallfrown:

DA gives viruse? Huh. Didn't know that. I mean, I got a virus once while on DA, but I figured it was just a fluke, since I didn't see how a funny lego picture can give you a fake Anti-Virus thing. Odd... You'd think they'd fix on such a popular site. :smallconfused:

I broke my glasses in half once. I tried to unfold the arms so I could put them on, only to snap the bridge in half. Turns out I was holding my glasses backwards... >.<

Saint Nil
2010-06-05, 07:28 PM
Harsh week. I hope your days will improve. Not much we can do but offer support, but don't worry. I'm sure almost everyone in this playground would do anything they could to help. We're a family here.:smallsmile:

Mystic Muse
2010-06-05, 07:30 PM
We're a family here.:smallsmile:

Really? O_o

we're the biggest family EVAR

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-06-05, 09:13 PM
*hug*

Hope things work out okay. Maybe you should stay off Deviantart at your home computer? You might be able to get on it at the library. Depends on what you're looking for on there.

Pictures of swords, dragons and knights and stuff, if you're curious.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-05, 09:14 PM
Pictures of swords, dragons and knights and stuff, if you're curious.

Okay. Those shouldn't get you kicked out of the library.(It's possible however that those could turn up....unfortunate pictures)

Photobucket is also good for this purpose Just FYI. Imageshack is horrible for looking for stuff in my experience

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-06-05, 09:14 PM
By the by, it's your turn in Scales of War.

Mando Knight
2010-06-05, 09:25 PM
Three steps for the computer issue.
1.) Antivirus.
2.) Firefox.
3.) Adblock Plus.

Need more? Get a good firewall, Spybot Search & Destroy, and ensure you're running either Windows 7 or a good distro of Linux.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-05, 09:39 PM
Or you could give up on viruses almost entirely and switch to Linux. One of us! One of us!

Deth Muncher
2010-06-05, 10:02 PM
Y'know what I do when life gets me down is kill people.
And by that, I mean play videogames in which you kill people.

Incomp
2010-06-05, 10:06 PM
Or you could give up on viruses almost entirely and switch to Linux. One of us! One of us!

I'd recommend a mac in that regard.

But yeah, as said above, Firefox+ABP and other such equipment luls at viruses and other such silly things.

Syka
2010-06-05, 10:11 PM
I feel ya. That was last week for me. Computer wasn't working right and after a weekend of care, they let me switch it out for another one...which did the SAME thing right after I booted it up for the first time. Phone broke and I had to go an hour and a half away to get it fixed. Test, final presentation to clients (in which the company's president and vice president unexpectedly showed up...at least we were prepared), start another internship in the space of three days...etc.

Shall we go hide from the world for a while together?

Mystic Muse
2010-06-05, 10:17 PM
I'd recommend a mac in that regard.

That's fine. If the OP has a ton of money to spend on a new computer.

Just keep in mind that if you do choose to switch there are at least a few games you probably won't be able to play on Linux.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-06-05, 11:37 PM
What's so special about this Firefox?

Mando Knight
2010-06-06, 12:19 AM
What's so special about this Firefox?

It supports Adblock Plus (which jams pretty much 99% of all ads, and you can tell it to punish the ones that slip by), it has other neat add-ons to download and install, and it's both free and not evil.

Also its name: Fire. Fox.

Manicotti
2010-06-06, 02:30 AM
Also, NoScript is a fantastic addon for blocking generic ad-based stuff.

My condolences for your family regarding the loss of your great-aunt.

Also, deviantARD is a virus in itself. :smalltongue:

Gorgondantess
2010-06-06, 02:44 AM
Until I get a new set of frames, it looks like I'm going have to resort to the Harry Potter look.

...So, how's that working for you? If you've managed to get them all aligned and straight, and staying that way, on wire frames, please, tell me your secret. I could never get it to work.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-06-06, 10:35 PM
Not very well. The electrical tape didn't hold them together very well.

Cealocanth
2010-06-07, 11:15 PM
Sorry you've had a crummy week. Maybe you need to approach the world with a more positive attitude when you wake up.

Recaiden
2010-06-08, 12:30 AM
I'm sorry you've had such a bad week. Hopefully it'll pick up.

((One more in support of Firefox and AdBlock))

lesser_minion
2010-06-08, 04:22 AM
Sorry to hear about all that. :smallfrown:

Personally, I'd recommend going with Opera + good antivirus as a solution to your virus issues. It's easy enough to get rid of adverts, and you can quickly switch off content blocking if you find a site that tries to stop you accessing it.

Oh, and it takes all of two seconds to switch off Javascript and plugins, and to switch them back on again for any given website.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-06-08, 01:17 PM
Well, this week's had one down with a few ups. The warranty on my glasses expired a few weeks ago, and though the optometrists are finagling with the company to extend the warranty, it sounds like it's an uphill battle. It almost seems like a scam to me, since my mother got her classes from the same company and they broke exactly the same way.

Other than that though, I'm going to start taking better care of myself, getting more exercise and eating better. My brother's giving me fitness and nutrition tips (he's our resident health nut), and we're starting to reconnect after both being away at college for so long. Plus, I went and hung out with my friends yesterday, and I'm kicking ass in Fire Emblem. So overall this week is shaping up to be pretty good.

My alarm clock's batteries ran out too, but I'm not counting that since I'm sure the batteries can be replaced, and I've got about five different alarm clocks lying around anyway.