PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted] Various Gods?

Jokasti
2010-06-05, 08:29 PM
So, I was just wondering if their is a supplement for Exalted that lists a lot of gods? I have a few gods I need to look up for a game, but if you know anything about these ones:

God of Arena Fighting
God of Demesnes
God of Manses
God of Magic
God of Victory
God of Sacrifice
God of Prizes/Artifacts

If there aren't any canon ones, I can make them, but hopefully this will simplify it.

Reynard
2010-06-05, 08:43 PM
I don't think there would be any specific God for Manses, since they tend to be owned by Exalted, and Exalted don't really pray to many Gods.

Demenses, though? Maybe, depending on their location.

I'd don't really know that much about the books but maybe Mandate of Heaven has some stuff in it?

Tavar
2010-06-05, 09:04 PM
God of Arena Fighting
Perhaps one of the War Gods of one of the Celestial Directions? I know one holds a big tournament every so often, but I can't say any more than that.

God of Magic
There specifically isn't one. Sorcery is outside the purview of a god.

God of Victory
Well, there's this really obsucure god called the Unconquered Sun....:smalltongue:

God of Demesnes
God of Manses
God of Sacrifice
God of Prizes/Artifacts

No idea.

The_Snark
2010-06-05, 09:12 PM
The Compass of Celestial Directions: Yu-Shan lists a few prominent ones, but none of the ones you're looking for—there are so many possible gods that even if they'd spent the whole book listing them, there would still be a ton missing, so they focused on guidelines for coming up with your own. The Roll of Glorious Divinity I includes some examples of Terrestrial Divinities, but generally takes the same approach.

That said, the god of victory is the Unconquered Sun. And while I can't find it right now, one of the books describes a goddess who presides over sacrifices to the Unconquered Sun. Takes the form of a Dragon King, as the reign of the Dragon Kings was basically her heyday.

Some of the others strike me as a little too D&D-ish. Magic, for example, is waaay too broad, since it could conceivably include any kind of Essence use. There might be a group of gods who govern the various types of thaumaturgy, or a god who oversees Sorcery... although I very much doubt that the Primordials put a god in charge of sorcery, so that god was certainly appointed after the Primordial War. He probably isn't capable of fully understanding his domain, which would explain why he or she isn't all that important.

"Artifacts" is also too expansive, I think, but there might be gods appointed to keep track of each of the magical materials. Demesnes and manses are... middle ground. I can definitely see a god of manse-building existing; demesnes are old and natural enough that they probably don't need an abstract deity to oversee them (although each individual demesne would have a god). Then again, Yu-Shan might have appointed one anyway. Yu-Shan is sometimes like that.

I know of no god of arena fighting, but there probably is one.

GryffonDurime
2010-06-05, 09:35 PM
or a god who oversees Sorcery...

There isn't one. It's a domain that, literally, can not have a god. Sorcery is a primordial affair too metaphysically dense to support an overseeing divinity.

The_Snark
2010-06-05, 10:19 PM
That's more or less what I feel about having an actual, functioning god of sorcery around, but nothing is keeping Yu-Shan from assigning some hapless spirit to try and monitor its use.

Sanguine
2010-06-05, 10:29 PM
That's more or less what I feel about having an actual, functioning god of sorcery around, but nothing is keeping Yu-Shan from assigning some hapless spirit to try and monitor its use.

The White Treatise states that there is no God of Sorcery anywhere within Yu-Shan.

The_Snark
2010-06-05, 11:04 PM
... because it is not of Creation, yes, I am aware. (Although it's good to know the source on that- thanks.)

For similar reasons, there is no god of demons—but there is a god who lives in Malfeas, and has the job of maintaining diplomatic contact with (and spying on) the Yozis. The Yozis are not his domain, and he has no metaphysical power over them—that's way outside the scope of a god—but it is, nonetheless, his responsibility to keep tabs on them. I see no reason why there couldn't be a god in a similar position for sorcery, even if that god isn't written up in canon. That's all I'm trying to say.

TheCountAlucard
2010-06-06, 12:25 AM
God of Arena FightingKokage is the Southern god of Duels, with skin of bronze and teeth of glass. He embraces the Virtue of Valor wholeheartedly and holds a martial arts tournament in the South every year.

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-06, 07:52 AM
Note that while all Sorcery and Necromancy is Magic, not all Magic is Sorcery or Necromancy. The Charms of Exalts, thaumaturgy and such are all magic. However, even the least of thaumaturges utilize many little gods to achieve their needs, and the Exalted Charms are too wide and varied to have a single god. So, while the above answers are correct, they are incomplete in their reasoning.

Jokasti
2010-06-06, 08:08 PM
Okay so here's the updated list.

God of Arena Fighting Will Homebrew.
God of Demesnes Not needed anymore.
God of Manses Perhaps the God of Architects or Buildings?
God of Magic Not needed anymore.
God of Victory Will Homebrew.
God of Sacrifice
God of Prizes/Artifacts

Sanguine
2010-06-06, 08:13 PM
Okay so here's the updated list.

God of Arena Fighting Will Homebrew.
God of Demesnes Not needed anymore.
God of Manses Perhaps the God of Architects or Buildings?
God of Magic Not needed anymore.
God of Victory Will Homebrew.
God of Sacrifice
God of Prizes/Artifacts

The God of Victory is The Uncoquered Sun. There is no need to homebrew one.

horngeek
2010-06-06, 08:57 PM
Kokage is the Southern god of Duels, with skin of bronze and teeth of glass. He embraces the Virtue of Valor wholeheartedly and holds a martial arts tournament in the South every year.

And there's no need for a homebrew for Arena Fighting either.

Jokasti
2010-06-06, 09:00 PM
The God of Victory is The Uncoquered Sun. There is no need to homebrew one.
Right, but he assigned it specifically to another god so he didn't have to deal with all the RockPaperScissors paperwork (verrry tedious).

And there's no need for a homebrew for Arena Fighting either.

Duels, right. But what about three or more people fights? Wouldn't be the same. He'll make a cameo.

Sanguine
2010-06-07, 09:59 AM
Right, but he assigned it specifically to another god so he didn't have to deal with all the RockPaperScissors paperwork (verrry tedious).

Or you know he could just push that down the ladder to the god of RocckPaperScissors. That's the great thing about being the Most High, all of your work can easily be done by lesser gods if you know how to delegate. No need to even appoint someone to a new position.