PDA

View Full Version : PrC for a sadistic torturer?

Scarey Nerd
2010-06-06, 06:28 AM
I'm playing a Derro Rogue in a campaign at some point, and was thinking about prestiges for said Derro. It would have to be something that really fit the character, a twisted sadist that has been torturing people for years. He'll be CE, obviously, low wisdom, high charisma, average strength and high intelligence. Thoughts?

golem1972
2010-06-06, 08:08 AM
Ex-wife? :biggrin:

Scarey Nerd
2010-06-06, 08:09 AM
Ex-wife? :biggrin:

Loving it :smalltongue:

Kesnit
2010-06-06, 08:14 AM
If you have access to BoVD, I think there is a torturer PrC in there. It's been a while since I read it, so maybe not, but I think so.

Amphetryon
2010-06-06, 08:16 AM
Ghost-faced Killer

Assassin (not great mechanically, but flavor-wise, it fits)

Menacing Brute

Tome
2010-06-06, 08:22 AM
Avenging Executioner and Ghost-Faced Killer are the only two that stand out in my mind. Beyond that you're probably better off looking for a PrC based on your combat tactics.

If you have access to BoVD, I think there is a torturer PrC in there. It's been a while since I read it, so maybe not, but I think so.

I couldn't find one based on torture in there when I checked. Still, that's not to say that one of the classes might not work.

RelentlessImp
2010-06-06, 08:30 AM
BoEF has the perfect class for this: The Dominator. It'll make use of that high Charisma in pretty much everything it does.

Scarey Nerd
2010-06-06, 08:31 AM
BoEF has the perfect class for this: The Dominator. It'll make use of that high Charisma in pretty much everything it does.

Sorry, what is BoEF? I'm not familiar with that particular sourcebook.

RelentlessImp
2010-06-06, 08:33 AM
Sorry, what is BoEF? I'm not familiar with that particular sourcebook.

The Book of Erotic Fantasy. I can't really give too much information about it, but it's not a very powerful class - flavorful, certainly, but not powerful. Still, it seems to fit what you're looking for.

Enix18
2010-06-06, 08:34 AM

Oh, God, did you seriously just suggest that?

AstralFire
2010-06-06, 08:36 AM

Did you just... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s)

Anyway, Master of Chains. Or hell, be a Bard. Bards are really good at that.
"Would you like this food? Hm?" -prestidigitation, make it unpalatable-

And all the mindscrews you can do with Glibness...

DarkEternal
2010-06-06, 08:37 AM
Necrocarnate from Magic of Incarnum is a sort of torturer too, though he tortures the soul more then the body.

Krazddndfreek
2010-06-06, 08:39 AM
Avenging Executioner is actually a good one. I don't really think the ghost-faced killer is all that great for anything, and certainly this is not one of them. You might be able to find something in lords of madness, but I don't know.

RelentlessImp
2010-06-06, 08:40 AM
Did you just... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s)

Anyway, Master of Chains. Or hell, be a Bard. Bards are really good at that.
"Would you like this food? Hm?" -prestidigitation, make it unpalatable-

And all the mindscrews you can do with Glibness...

I can't help it. He asked for some criteria and the class just sprang to mind as fitting.

Yes, the book is pretty terrible, but the class is pretty much tailor-made to torture people sadistically.

Grumman
2010-06-06, 08:42 AM
A one-level dip in Shadow Sun Ninja lets you deal negative energy damage, followed by the same amount of positive energy damage. I'm sure you can think of ways to use this ability... (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/5/25/)

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-06, 08:54 AM
Fleshwarper From Lords of Madness.

Krazddndfreek
2010-06-06, 09:04 AM
Actually, when I said Lords of Madness, I meant Heroes of Horror. I get them mixed up sometimes. Also, Fleshwarper might not be bad in terms of fluff, but in terms of mechanics, all grafts do is improve the creature they're placed upon. So you might want to give them spells good for torturing people. Cleric actually might be better because they're pretty much the only class that can heal people.

Choco
2010-06-06, 09:19 AM
Scourge Maiden from Shining South is a good one.

If you set on playing a male character, just refluff the class as necessary.

Ryuuk
2010-06-06, 09:41 AM
A one-level dip in Shadow Sun Ninja lets you deal negative energy damage, followed by the same amount of positive energy damage. I'm sure you can think of ways to use this ability... (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/5/25/)

In a similar vein, why not take a few levels in Swordsage with the homebrew Blood Sage discipline (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135459) approved by your DM? Even a single level in swordsage at a higher level can let you pick 6 of those maneuvers of varying levels (up to 2nd level if taken at 5th level, up to 3rd if at 9th, up to 4th if at 13th, up to 5th if taken at 17th) and all of its maneuvers can really work as far as a sadist goes.

EDIT: Hmm, low wisdom using wisdom based DCs might be a problem, but you can play that in the sadist's favors. Have them be helpess before you start 'having fun' and do some trial and error. You can use those maneuvers as many times as you want as long as you refresh them with a full round action:

"Now hold still, I'm just going to make a little cut here... Oops, sorry, how'd that go again? Hmm, maybe it was like this..."

Samb
2010-06-06, 10:32 AM
Ardent with dominant mantle in pain and suffering. Divine mind with a pain and suffering aura would be cool too although not optimal.

Sagira
2010-06-19, 02:46 PM
Like I mentioned in the other thread about a tormenting prestige class. I'd go with Vile Tormentor in the book Plot and Poison.

HunterOfJello
2010-06-19, 02:57 PM
a Church Inquisitor redesigned for being evil could work

Zaq
2010-06-19, 03:19 PM
Do a crafting-based class, like Effigy Master or Alchemist Savant. (Not roguey, but bear with me.) Never use a point of your own XP to craft items. Use liquid pain, using the rules in BoVD, which you mercilessly extract from a small army of helpless and endlessly suffering victims.

Major bonus points if you keep this secret, and sell the items as a respected purveyor of magic goods. How would that paladin react to knowing that his new shield is powered by suffering children? Very very evil.

Totally Guy
2010-06-19, 03:22 PM
There's the Crimson Scourge from cityscape. They just love hurting people with nonlethal damage. They track people down and hurt them.

Greymane
2010-06-19, 05:37 PM
The Scarlet Crusader PrC in the old Warcraft D20 books is about torturing. In fact, they can bring undead to a 'spark of life', just so they can be affected by non-lethal damage, so they can pound on them and hurt them for information.

Hague
2010-06-19, 08:48 PM
Yeah, Church Inquisitor. A Ravager would probably enjoy hurting people too.

The Grey Guard (CS) has a torture ability (funny for a paladin offshoot, no?) that uses Lay on Hands to pain their captives and reduce their ability to lie or resist enchantments.

mabriss lethe
2010-06-19, 11:26 PM
Yet another use for a Binder!

Naberius can be used to command. (wait until you feed them and then command them to drop their food) also the silver tongue ability could create an instant stockholm syndrome.

Buer can be used for slow, infinite healing to keep them alive while you work.

Focalor's Aura of despair is truly awesome. lower their saves to resist all your other work while weeping like someone shot your kitten.

Greymane
2010-06-20, 03:45 AM
Yet another use for a Binder!

Naberius can be used to command. (wait until you feed them and then command them to drop their food) also the silver tongue ability could create an instant stockholm syndrome.

Buer can be used for slow, infinite healing to keep them alive while you work.

Focalor's Aura of despair is truly awesome. lower their saves to resist all your other work while weeping like someone shot your kitten.

While this is off topic, it's things like this that make me think the organizations out to get Binders are pretty justified. :smalleek: