PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Menacing Brute [3.5]

Scarey Nerd
2010-06-06, 09:23 AM
I currently play a half-orc barbarian, who used to be an intimidating bounty hunter. I found this PrC earlier today, and I love it. However, I'm worried it might be a tad OP. What do you guys think?

Prodan
2010-06-06, 09:32 AM
Where is this PrC and what does it do?

The Glyphstone
2010-06-06, 09:35 AM
If it doesn't have "+1 spellcasting level" at every level of the PrC, it is unlikely to be OP, but tell us what it does anyways.

Octopus Jack
2010-06-06, 09:37 AM
Also what else is in your party and how powerful are their builds?

Prodan
2010-06-06, 09:37 AM
And your name and social security number.

Adumbration
2010-06-06, 09:39 AM
It's a Races of Destiny prestige class with fairly low requirements - +5 BaB, some skills, half-orc (IIRC) - that gives 4+int skill points, full BaB, d10 hitdie, increases the shakened duration of intimidate into 1 round/class level, 1d6 sneak attack, bonus to intimidate equal to class level, +4 to confirming criticals and the ability to dumpster-dive nonmagical, cheap items from cities.

It's a 5 level prestige class. In my opinion, pretty solid, but not overpowered. Oh, and I forgot the capstone: whenever you kill someone, you can force nearby enemies will save or cower.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Scarey Nerd
2010-06-06, 09:43 AM
Also what else is in your party and how powerful are their builds?

The others in the party are (All level 2): An LG Half-Elf Paladin, a CN Halfling Cleric of Oliddamara, a CG Elan Divine Mind, an CN Elf Rogue, and me.

tyckspoon
2010-06-06, 09:48 AM
Modestly useful in a fear build, but there are much better classes to work with if you want to do that. Probably better than taking Fighter levels. Annoying entry feat requirement (our old friend the Otyugh Hole to the rescue!) Otherwise not especially good- the capstone ability is crippled by its own wording ("cowering until the start of their next turn") which means that even if you get something to fail its save (and it's a Cha-based save on a class that requires being a Half-Orc and that points itself toward combat types.. chances are you're Cha 8 or 6.) then the best you achieve is basically making them flat-footed until they act; it doesn't even take a turn away from them. On the plus side, it doesn't have the 'only affects enemies of your HD or less' clause that is so common in fear effects.

Nowhere near broken, even if the rest of your party does suck.

Amphetryon
2010-06-06, 10:04 AM
Menacing Brute is decent at what it does, if unspectacular, and pairs quite well with the Outcast Champion PrC that immediately follows it in RoD.

In a group with Sublime Chords, Ur-Priests, and Incantatrars, you'd probably feel nigh unto useless with either or both.

In a group such as you describe, you'll most likely not be disappointed unduly with your power level.

Scarey Nerd
2010-06-06, 12:13 PM
Cheers guys, I think I am going to play as one, I like the flavour and the abilities are sweet, I love that I can just wander around a city and return to my party with a horse :smalltongue: