PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Galaxy 2: It'sa me, Mario!

Milskidasith
2010-06-06, 12:48 PM
So... how did we not have this thread yet? :smallconfused:

Anyway, I just picked up the game yesterday, and I've got a dozen stars so far. It's... pretty amazing so far; music is great, levels are well designed, nothing seems annoying or bad yet, and it's just plain fun.

Anybody else have the game yet?

arguskos
2010-06-06, 01:35 PM
Just picked it up two days ago. Haven't gotten to play much yet (ie. at all). Will report once I have. I do have a question though: is Yoshi seriously super-prevalent? I loved SMG 1 for not including really any of the original cast beyond the basics (Bowser=bad guy, Peach=failure, Luigi=cameo functionally, Yoshi=not in this game thank god, etc), and am really hoping the stupid damn dino isn't a key part of the plot.

Zevox
2010-06-06, 01:40 PM
I'll probably get it, but at the moment it's not high on my priority list.

And yeah, much as I liked Galaxy 1 and like Mario in general, I am also not terribly encouraged by Yoshi's presence, as I generally haven't found him an enjoyable part of any Mario game he appeared in. I'm hoping his importance to the game is minimal.

Zevox

arguskos
2010-06-06, 03:06 PM
Having just made time to play it... it seems as though Yoshi is fairly important. However, it also seems to be the case that he's fun to use, for once. The whole "eat dudes" and "spit spineys at stuff" is preeeeeetty fun.

Milskidasith
2010-06-06, 03:31 PM
Eh, of the 12 stars I've gotten, he's only been used twice, in the "yoshi" galaxy, but I have heard he gets used more. It's not bad, though; instead of just being a dumb transit vehicle, he now actually has his own abilities.

arguskos
2010-06-06, 03:44 PM
Eh, of the 12 stars I've gotten, he's only been used twice, in the "yoshi" galaxy, but I have heard he gets used more. It's not bad, though; instead of just being a dumb transit vehicle, he now actually has his own abilities.
Yeah, so far, the eating dudes is pretty fun, actually. Much more than I had expected. I'm not super far though, so, yeah.

Drascin
2010-06-06, 03:53 PM
All the Yoshi hate sounds real odd to my ears, what with Yoshi's Island being nearly the best 2D platformer ever and all. Most people I know were positively giddy over his appearance in NSMB, and got outraged when he got reduced to a couple-levels gimmick.

As for Galaxy 2 - yeah, it's plenty good. I personally liked the first one more, but being slightly worse than the packaged bundle of pure concentrated joy that was Galaxy 1 still nets you one damn good game :smallbiggrin:.

Green-Shirt Q
2010-06-06, 03:55 PM
I was going to make a thread for this once I've beatten EVERY level. Right now I've rescued Peach, but there's a whole other, bonus world to explore and I haven't completed it yet.

But right now, after all of that, I think it's safe to say what I wanted to say if I was going to make the thread.

This game. Is. AWESOME.

The only game that is able to make the first Super Mario Galaxy look like crap. Interestingly enough, seemlingly the same game. Except for one small difference very noticable when you're playing it.

This game has the, hands down, best level design of ANY MARIO GAME EVER MADE.

No. Stop. Don't you nostalgic people flame me about how that title will ever only belong to Super Mario World, Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Bros. 3. I don't care. This game has better levels than all of those games. Combined. You can tell they had a lot of fun coming up with the level ideas.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-06, 06:03 PM
Played a bit at my friend's house. But we've filled up the Happy Bank completely, so there's no reason to play now.

Oregano
2010-06-06, 06:32 PM
Out this Friday in Europe!:smallbiggrin:

Altaria87
2010-06-12, 02:21 AM
Yay, in about half an hour I'm going into town tog et this game :smallcool:.
And then I'm going to do an unspoiled playthrough- the only videos I've watched of this game are trailers and the soundtrack. Plus, I'm not that great at platformers (or any game that isn't turn based really, due to my poor Fine Motor skills and reactions).
So, wish me luck, I'm currently betting I'll get to World 3 then get stuck.

Cynan Machae
2010-06-12, 03:39 AM
Bought it a bit more than a week ago, and so far it's pretty good. Haven't had much time to play it tho, sadly. I'm at 24-something stars I think.

Dispozition
2010-06-12, 03:51 AM
How is it compared to the first one? I played a bit of SMG and I just hated it, mainly the way the camera interacted with you over the world. Does 2 do it better, or is it mostly more of the same?

Mirrinus
2010-06-12, 04:00 AM
How is it compared to the first one? I played a bit of SMG and I just hated it, mainly the way the camera interacted with you over the world. Does 2 do it better, or is it mostly more of the same?

Still more motion sickness-inducing camera angles. It's a bit better, but if you couldn't handle it before, it may not be the best for you.

I played it with a friend who got it when it just came out, and I got to say, it's definitely better than the first (which was already pretty good). Loved the new mechanics (Rock Mario and Yoshi, yeah!), loved the epic doses of nostalgia, and I love being able to do a whole lot more as Player 2. In fact, I think my presence made the game a little too easy, now that I could pick up coins (including purple coins!) and attack enemies.

Dispozition
2010-06-12, 05:49 AM
Still more motion sickness-inducing camera angles. It's a bit better, but if you couldn't handle it before, it may not be the best for you.

Oh, no. It wasn't motion sickness. I just couldn't tell where the hell I was at any point. I mean, Portal was clearer with that than Super Mario Galaxy.

Oregano
2010-06-12, 06:36 AM
Got it yesterday, it's brilliant and actually pretty difficult at points! Graphics are great, music fantastic, controls superb and Yoshi is awesome! I prefer to play Luigi whenever I can.

Milskidasith
2010-06-12, 06:44 AM
Oh, no. It wasn't motion sickness. I just couldn't tell where the hell I was at any point. I mean, Portal was clearer with that than Super Mario Galaxy.

Playing through and getting... 89, I think? stars so far, there's never been a time the camera was a problem. The only time it's ever possibly problem is if you want to run backwards on planet's that are a flat surface, and the levels are linear enough that doing so is generally pointless. Even then, the camera usually does it's job well enough.

2p really doesn't make the game easier except for purple coin challenges... speaking of which, I need a second player for one of them... stupid rolling ball thing.