PDA

View Full Version : druid help: companion advancement

tenieldjo
2010-06-06, 01:03 PM
So, I have a druid with a fleshraker companion. At its normal level of 4 hit dice, it has a +3 base attack bonus (average.) It has 2 claw attacks, both at +6 (broken down to +3 BA, +3 Str), a +1 bite and a +1 tail. The attack bonuses for the latter two are, as I understand it, +3 BA, -5 for not having multiattack, +3 Str.

The second time the fleshraker advances it will have 8 hit dice and thus a base attack bonus of +6/+1. Because of the bonus to str/dex and the +1 added to strength at every 4th level, it will have a strength modifier of +5 at this point. So would that mean the creature would have:
2 claws at a +11 (+6 BA, +5 str), 1 claw +6 (+1 BA, +5 str), 1 bite +9 (+6 BA, -2 mutliattack, +5 str), 1 tail +9 (+6 BA, -2 multiattack, +5 str)

Or am I thinking of this all wrong? I don't need help optimizing his feat selection or anything, I just want to know if I'm breaking things down properly, and if I'm understanding how multiple attacks from the base attack bonuses interact with having multiple natural weapons. Thanks!

Os1ris09
2010-06-06, 01:57 PM
Are you even allowed to have a fleshdraker companion?

Voice of Reason
2010-06-06, 02:02 PM
If I am remembering my rules correctly, and barring and special ability of the Fleshraker (I know it has a charge+pounce rake in there somewhere), you only get one claw attack at the full BAB, the other is a secondary natural attack just like your bite and tail. Otherwise, it looks good to me.

Gametime
2010-06-06, 02:37 PM
If I am remembering my rules correctly, and barring and special ability of the Fleshraker (I know it has a charge+pounce rake in there somewhere), you only get one claw attack at the full BAB, the other is a secondary natural attack just like your bite and tail. Otherwise, it looks good to me.

No, both claws are primary attacks. You get those at full BAB, and the bite and tail at -5.

Greenish
2010-06-06, 05:20 PM
So would that mean the creature would have:
2 claws at a +11 (+6 BA, +5 str), 1 claw +6 (+1 BA, +5 str), 1 bite +9 (+6 BA, -2 mutliattack, +5 str), 1 tail +9 (+6 BA, -2 multiattack, +5 str)Bolded where you went wrong. Natural Weapons don't get iterative attacks.

tenieldjo
2010-06-06, 08:28 PM
Bolded where you went wrong. Natural Weapons don't get iterative attacks.

Aaah, thank you. I was unsure of whether or not The 2nd BAB would grant another attack, thanks for clearing that up. Where did you find that? I couldn't nail down a source.

Also, to Osiris, according to mm3, the fleshraker can be an animal companion, considered a -3 to effective druid level for purposes of determining bonus hit dice and such.

demidracolich
2010-06-06, 08:48 PM
Yes, but I think he means is the dm allowing it because the fleshraker is really OP with venomfire from serpent kingdoms.

tenieldjo
2010-06-06, 10:38 PM
I was surprised too, but I asked and he said ok. I am well aware of how powerful the combination is :) I haven't abused it though... it's a very "in case of emergency, cast buff" sort of thing.

Os1ris09
2010-06-06, 10:53 PM
Aaah, thank you. I was unsure of whether or not The 2nd BAB would grant another attack, thanks for clearing that up. Where did you find that? I couldn't nail down a source.

Also, to Osiris, according to mm3, the fleshraker can be an animal companion, considered a -3 to effective druid level for purposes of determining bonus hit dice and such.

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I finally got an answer :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-07, 12:29 AM
Also, don't forget to take Natural Bond from Complete Adventurer, which adds +3 to your effective Druid level but no higher than your character level. Since you can apply your own bonuses and penalties in the most beneficial order, you can apply the -3 for Fleshraker, and then add the +3 for Natural Bond to make your effective level for its benefits equal to your class level.

Eldariel
2010-06-07, 01:31 AM

Natural Weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons) - this info is also in the Monster Manual.

"Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons."