PDA

View Full Version : Cleric/Rogue Multiclass ? 3.5 is it possible ?

Grifthin
2010-06-06, 03:34 PM
Well my players just made it through the first quarter of the sunless citadel adventure. They are now level 2. We have a Psion, Ranger and Sorceror. The traps and damage are really taking a toll. I asked them if they would like a 4th party member and we've decided to add a DM PC till they are on their feet. I need to be able to do traps and heal a bit. What does the playground recommend, we are trying to stay core. Bard or Rogue/Cleric multiclass.

kamikasei
2010-06-06, 03:37 PM
You could play a cloistered cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) with the Kobold domain (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) to gain trapfinding.

Someone else might need to confirm this'd work, but a Beguiler with Arcane Disciple: Healing would be an arcane trapmonkey with good spontaneous healing.

dextercorvia
2010-06-06, 03:37 PM
I would say bard. You could just have him sit back and sing during combat. He won't have trapfinding though.

Amphetryon
2010-06-06, 03:40 PM
Ordinarily, I'd point you to the Temple Raider of Olidamarra, which is the first PrC I can think of that meshes those two classes. But, if you're going to choose to stay Core...

Dump STR. Choose Dwarf for the race for bonuses to mechanical traps and those underground senses that they get. Rogue 2/Cleric 18 (2nd Rogue level taken at 3rd level) is far from ideal, but it's probably better than the Core options to combine the classes, and superior to a Bard for the job you're wanting this DMPC to do.

Eldariel
2010-06-06, 03:52 PM
Rogue 1/Cloistered Cleric 4/Shadowbane Stalker 3/Divine Trickster (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5M5QGsJ5mpbLfAHduZG.html) 10.

Alternatively, Cloistered Cleric with Sacred Outlaw (http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Sacred_Outlaw). Either take Rogue 1/Cloistered Cleric 4/Shadowbane Stalker 3 to qualify, or just Cloistered Cleric 20 with Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance [ToB]. Shadowbane Stalker is in Complete Divine.

You really want some non-core material; Shadowbane Stalker and Divine Trickster would make it work, or Shadowbane and Sacred Outlaw. Without those, if you want Sneak Attack, it's hard to make happen.

Pluto
2010-06-06, 03:56 PM
Rogue 1 + Able Learner (RoD) + Cloistered Cleric (UA) + Shadowbane Stalker (CAdv) works fine.

Or use Able Learner and Sacred Outlaw (dragon 357/crystalkeep) to stack Rogue and Cloistered Cleric levels for SA and maintain nearly-full Rogue skill progression.

Starbuck_II
2010-06-06, 04:03 PM
Well my players just made it through the first quarter of the sunless citadel adventure. They are now level 2. We have a Psion, Ranger and Sorceror. The traps and damage are really taking a toll. I asked them if they would like a 4th party member and we've decided to add a DM PC till they are on their feet. I need to be able to do traps and heal a bit. What does the playground recommend, we are trying to stay core. Bard or Rogue/Cleric multiclass.

Psion (egoist) 1/ Rogue 1?
Vigor power (5 Temp hp/pp) + Empathic Transfer (take damage to self) heals very well. Talented + Overchannel will let him add +1 manifester for those emergencies when really need to heal 10 damage instead of 5.

The temp hp takes the damage from the person so you heal them and are not damaged.

Plus, temp hps make him live longer.
Only a full rd action to get back Psionic focus so he can heal after battle.

Jack_Simth
2010-06-06, 04:04 PM

The simplest choice would be to give them an NPC healer (the class... not going to steal the spotlight, ever), and simply dispense with 90% of the traps. See, they're not necessary at all... and when they're in play, they're usually just a matter of "roll search" and "roll disable device" and sometimes "okay, roll a save" and "take Xd6 damage". In isolation, traps are BORING (and most of them don't make sense, unless they've got a hidden bypass somewhere, or are completely harmless for their creator - you don't make traps you can't simply walk past; keys, key-codes, safe-paths, et cetera all feature in real life, for the simple reason that you'll occasionally want to visit the place; a magic trap that deals negative energy damage, though, might not have a bypass if the lord of the dungeon is an undead lich....).

Caphi
2010-06-06, 04:10 PM
...guys, the party is level 2. I think 20 level builds are a little overboard.

One level of cleric, two or three levels of rogue, and a wand of cure light wounds should be sufficient. Alternatively, find traps is a level 2 cleric spell.

Eldariel
2010-06-06, 04:14 PM

...so pointing out where you can go in future is now somehow wrong? The builds are fine on basically every level; just because they list future development doesn't make them invalid and indeed, extra never hurts.

Pluto
2010-06-06, 04:18 PM
3.X isn't exactly friendly to unplanned character progression.

Greenish
2010-06-06, 04:33 PM
You could play a cloistered cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) with the Kobold domain (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) to gain trapfinding.This. Make the kobold a funny lil' guy, maybe even call him Meepo. Have him be the mascot of the party.

PId6
2010-06-06, 05:08 PM
Artificer 2. Take Skill Focus (UMD) and Shape Soulmeld (Mage's Spectacles). Give him one or two Wand of Lesser Vigor and max out Search/Disable Device. He also moonlights as party crafter when needed.

Caphi
2010-06-06, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I know. I project my builds like a bandit. However, by my understanding, the party is level 2 and the OP wants a DMPC design, and a temporary one at that. If he ever wants to bring the DMPC back, he can do so as anything he likes.

Dracons
2010-06-06, 06:14 PM
I doubt the DM is going to have a DMNPC all the way to level 20 with the group. Just saying.

Grifthin
2010-06-06, 11:07 PM
It will most likely just be a temporary arrangment, just to get them on their feet. Shame poor guys could barely afford arrows/hatchet etc. Once they can buy wands etc then they are on their own.

As for the Psion suggestion, thanks - Thats a good idea. The Psion already has vigor, I will suggest it to the player.

Paul H
2010-06-07, 10:35 AM
Hi

Option 1 Half Elf Rogue/Cleric of Boccob.

Half-Elf grants minor bonus to Spot, etc. More importantly NO XP Penalty that the Dwarf build has.Take Magic & Trickery Domains. (Trickery has some Rogue like skills, plus Invis, etc).

Option 2 NG Half Elf Beguiler/Cleric of Pelor

Beguilers get Trap Finding AND Spells. Take Arcane Disciple (Healing) to grant one healing spell/level, in addition to the one level of Cleric.

Option 3 As Above, But any Cleric

Take Beguiler at first level, then straight Cleric from then on.
NB Llir grants both Travel AND Magic

Option 4 Halfling Rogue/Bard

First level Bard, then Rogue for Trapfinding. Go Bard after that.
Slower spell progression than clerics, but Rogue/Bard mix well together.

Hope those helped
Paul H

Grifthin
2010-06-07, 11:15 AM
Hey, thanks for the response - I actually did just that (but using human), cleric/Rogue of Boccob. Means I can use both Arcane and Divine items without UMD shananigans. Thanks for all the responses guys and gals.

Thurbane
2010-06-07, 09:15 PM
I'm going to chime in the chorus: Rogue 3/Cloistered Cleric 17 (or into PrC) with the Sacred Outlaw feat, if Dragon Material is allowed. Preferably Human with Able Learner feat. It's (relatively) straightforward, gets level 9 spells, 10d6 sneak attack and full Turning ability.

There are of course, options to do this with only 1 level of Rogue and PrCs to maximize casting levels.