PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Barbarian build help.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-06-06, 04:22 PM
Can you build a successfull Rogue/Barbarian using only core and the completes?

I have heard lots of stuff using other books, but is there a way using only the PHB, DMG, and the complete series. (PrC's are allowed, but dips are discouraged.

Prodan
2010-06-06, 04:24 PM
Last I heard, the "Conan the Barbarian" build was some mixture of Barbarian, Fighter and Rogue.

Suppose you could try to make some sort of Dread Commando...

Greenish
2010-06-06, 04:34 PM
What, exactly, do you want? A sneaky barbarian? A frontliner with SA? Trapfinding berserker?

lsfreak
2010-06-06, 04:45 PM
What, exactly, do you want? A sneaky barbarian? A frontliner with SA? Trapfinding berserker?

Yea, we really need more info to know what direction to go.

My first two intuitions (assuming online stuff - UA and web enhancements - are included):
Barb1/RogueX, grabbing Whirling Frenzy or Ferocity instead of Rage, plus Pounce, Extra Rage, and typical TWF things. The barbarian ends up purely a dip to make rogue a little better.
Barb1/RogueX, grabbing Whirling Frenzy, Extra Rage, and typical archery things. The barbarian is still purely a dip to make archery better.

PId6
2010-06-06, 05:04 PM
Barb1/RogueX, grabbing Whirling Frenzy or Ferocity instead of Rage, plus Pounce, Extra Rage, and typical TWF things. The barbarian ends up purely a dip to make rogue a little better.
Barb1/RogueX, grabbing Whirling Frenzy, Extra Rage, and typical archery things. The barbarian is still purely a dip to make archery better.
You definitely want rogue 1 first for the extra skill points. But yeah, barbarian is going to purely a dip for any optimized build involving these.

I'm thinking something like Rogue 4/Barbarian 1/Swashbuckler +X with Daring Outlaw. Your skills will suffer due to lack of Able Learner, but this does make for a fine melee combatant. Lack of Craven and Darkstalker hurts, but oh well.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-06-07, 01:05 AM
i was thinking a very tempertmental Rogue. . . who happened to use somthing large and heavy for their weapon. . .

Mastikator
2010-06-07, 01:08 AM
If it's a temperamental rogue then a single level dip into barbarian makes sense.

Rokurai
2010-06-07, 01:26 AM
i was thinking a very tempertmental Rogue. . . who happened to use somthing large and heavy for their weapon. . .

That phrasing makes it seem like you want to actually play a rogue with a d12 weapon, not a rogue/barbarian mix, so even though you say dips are discouraged, Brb1/RogX seems like what you'd want to do. The bloodhound PrC from MotW comes to mind, as the skill set you need to become one is a mixture of rogue and barbarian, and their reputation(primarily intimidation and fear) seems like the brb/rog combo that might be playable without actually going far into the barbarian path and keeping most of your sneak attacks.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-06-07, 10:10 AM
That phrasing makes it seem like you want to actually play a rogue with a d12 weapon, not a rogue/barbarian mix, so even though you say dips are discouraged, Brb1/RogX seems like what you'd want to do. The bloodhound PrC from MotW comes to mind, as the skill set you need to become one is a mixture of rogue and barbarian, and their reputation(primarily intimidation and fear) seems like the brb/rog combo that might be playable without actually going far into the barbarian path and keeping most of your sneak attacks.

I'm sorry perhaps i was unclear. PrC dips are discouraged. i didn't expect more than a couple levels of barbarian. The Charcter I have in mind has some issues that I thought rage accurately reflected in terms of flavor. i could describe her as a sneaky barbarian just as well as a tempermental rogue. I'm looking for a combination of rogue stealth and barbarian rage.

also i am limited to the completes so MotW would not be allowed.

Amphetryon
2010-06-07, 10:15 AM
Lion Totem Barbarian 1, TWF with kukris and you'll be doing plenty of damage with a feral feel.

Eldariel
2010-06-07, 10:21 AM
Sneak Attack and Barbarian don't play too well together (Barbarian wants Power Attack with a two-hander to maximize his strength, Rogue wants TWF and stealth/flank to SA). Same with most of Rogue-skills (Rage limits skill use greatly). You can, however, make a relatively functional version of the combination. Martial Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue)-variant is great for multiclassing with Barbarian to make for a very skilled Power Attacker.

Wolf Totem Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ) is a fine way to trade away the redundant Uncanny Dodge for a very worthwhile feat, and the Spirit Lion Totem substitution from Complete Champion (Fast Movement for Pounce) would help out a lot too. The normal Power Attack- and Controller-feats would work, and you could even go Frenzied Berserker if that tickles your fancy.

It's not the most synergistic combination ever, but you can make it work as long as you focus on Barbarian's combat style over Rogue's. Though with some reliable Flanking buddies, you could make Sneak Attack work too; just not all that well, but still work. You'd want strength-based TWF at that point, and probably Oversized TWF to utilize Shock Trooper & al. too.

Person_Man
2010-06-07, 10:51 AM
Rogue 2/Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Master Thrower 5 wouldn't be horrible, and can be made entirely with core and Complete Warrior.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-06-07, 11:07 PM
thank you all for your help. this gives me alot to work with. when i decided on a final build i'll post it.