PDA

View Full Version : Werebear warderobe malfunction

Crusader2010
2010-06-06, 05:05 PM
Hello all,

I am playing a game where my character has recently been infected with werebear lycantrophy. I noticed that werebears, when shifting to either their bear or hybrid form are large, whereas I'm a medium human favored soul. I was wondering if there are items or anything that can either a: make my gear disappear altogether temporarily or b: adjust with me to my new size.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-06, 05:07 PM
Maybe some modified Wilding Clasps, with DM approval?

Some magic items automatically resize to fit you, others don't. I don't remember what falls into which category.

PId6
2010-06-06, 05:11 PM
Some magic items automatically resize to fit you, others don't. I don't remember what falls into which category.
All magic items besides weapons and armors do not have sizes, so by RAW they can be used perfectly fine by creatures of any size.

Starbuck_II
2010-06-06, 05:20 PM
Hello all,

I am playing a game where my character has recently been infected with werebear lycantrophy. I noticed that werebears, when shifting to either their bear or hybrid form are large, whereas I'm a medium human favored soul. I was wondering if there are items or anything that can either a: make my gear disappear altogether temporarily or b: adjust with me to my new size.

Magic items resize usually (Armor/Shield). Now they might meld if no fight.

Lycans break shirt if larger.

PId6
2010-06-06, 05:34 PM
Lycans break shirt if larger.
Yet the pants always stay fine. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicPants)

Curmudgeon
2010-06-06, 11:29 PM
Magic items resize usually (Armor/Shield).
That's wrong. Armor and shields never change size without specific magical enhancements. Only some magical garments change size.
Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space. If the creature changes size, any gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its new form changes size to match the new size. (Nonhumanoid-shaped creatures can’t wear armor designed for humanoid-shaped creatures, and vice versa.) Gear returns to normal size if dropped. Bears aren't humanoids, so you can't use armor without the beastskin enhancement (Magic Item Compendium, page 7). Bears don't have fingers so they'll drop any rings. Talk to your DM about which other item types can't be used; you'll probably need to spend a couple of rounds before you change form to collect up the gear that can't be worn, and tuck it away somewhere for safekeeping.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-07, 12:42 AM
His hybrid form however should be able to wear armor sized for a large creature just fine, and it can certainly wear rings as hybrid forms can wield weapons.

Though I think properly sized a bear could wear a ring.
http://franceshunter.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/a-grizzly-bear-paw-thumb3269371.jpg

Getting it on the paw would be difficult but assuming it was pushed to the base of your finger to begin with there is no reason it couldn't remain when the hand becomes a paw.

BobVosh
2010-06-07, 01:08 AM
Magic item compendium has sizing as a flat bonus gold fee for weapons and armor.

Probably shields too, ya know, if you are into that sorta thing.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-07, 01:27 AM
Magic item compendium has sizing as a flat bonus gold fee for weapons and armor.
You might want to recheck that. Sizing is a weapon-only property on page 43 of MIC. Armor doesn't resize except as a consequence of wild shape with the beastskin enhancement. There's a different property (variable) for shields.

Eloi
2010-06-07, 01:36 AM
Just use my house rule:
All Lycanthropes are automatically clothed in human form, they are not destroyed just obscured and slightly stretched in transformation. I.e. Rule of Decency, needn't adhere to logic.

Gadora
2010-06-08, 12:02 AM
Bears aren't humanoids, so you can't use armor without the beastskin enhancement (Magic Item Compendium, page 7). Bears don't have fingers so they'll drop any rings. Talk to your DM about which other item types can't be used; you'll probably need to spend a couple of rounds before you change form to collect up the gear that can't be worn, and tuck it away somewhere for safekeeping.

Beastskin won't work, as it relies on you spending an extra use of wild shape. Wild armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#wild) is more likely to work.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-08, 12:14 AM
Just use my house rule:
All Lycanthropes are automatically clothed in human form, they are not destroyed just obscured and slightly stretched in transformation. I.e. Rule of Decency, needn't adhere to logic.
*looks at typical fantast art*
*cough*
"Decency"
Right.:smallamused:

Eloi
2010-06-08, 12:34 AM
*looks at typical fantast art*
*cough*
"Decency"
Right.:smallamused:

I'm afraid you are confusing the Rule of Decency inherit in role-playing with the Rule of Sexy inherit in fantasy art.

Another_Poet
2010-06-08, 09:43 AM
Personally I would make it a habit to wear nothing but the absolute finest of silks, covered with pinstaking embroidery and gold thread. If you are going to leave a trail of torn undies everywhere you go it may as well scream "I'm the friggin' king!" to all who behold. Plus then they'll never expect a werebear.

AstralFire
2010-06-08, 09:45 AM
I'm afraid you are confusing the Rule of Decency inherit in role-playing with the Rule of Sexy inherit in fantasy art.

While I support Decency quite a bit, I fear it's not inherent.

Ormagoden
2010-06-08, 09:55 AM
While I support Decency quite a bit, I fear it's not inherent.

Is it enchantment then? maybe insight? or morale ?

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-08, 10:05 AM

It's amazing how infrequently fantasy roleplaying corresponds to fantasy art.

Ormagoden
2010-06-08, 10:09 AM
This thread needs more bear (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140757)...

taltamir
2010-06-08, 10:59 AM
Just use my house rule:

you could just say the lycantropy involves a form of Shapechange/Polymorph/Alter Self (the three are related)

When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When you revert to your true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on your body they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items you wore in the assumed form and can’t wear in your normal form fall off and land at your feet; any that you could wear in either form or carry in a body part common to both forms at the time of reversion are still held in the same way. Any part of the body or piece of equipment that is separated from the whole reverts to its true form.

It is fairly simple for a DM to rule that were creatures gain their transformation via a modification to the above spells (aka, the original wizard who did it used a modified polymorph to create the were curses).

BTW, I am pretty sure lycan means wolf so its a terrible name for were-creatures; were means "man". Well, actually were comes from Wer... originally in ancient english Wer meant male and Wif meants female; man meant human. used as Werman (male human) and wifman (female human). Wifman became woman and werman because just man, and wer changed to be another word for man (not sure if it is human or male human definition of man)... so were-wolf means literally man-wolf/human-wolf.
Were-bear should be obvious then.

Starbuck_II
2010-06-08, 11:40 AM
That's wrong. Armor and shields never change size without specific magical enhancements.

I said usually. The parathesis was for when it doesn't.

Only some magical garments change size. Bears aren't humanoids, so you can't use armor without the beastskin enhancement (Magic Item Compendium, page 7). Bears don't have fingers so they'll drop any rings. Talk to your DM about which other item types can't be used; you'll probably need to spend a couple of rounds before you change form to collect up the gear that can't be worn, and tuck it away somewhere for safekeeping.

Bears do have fingers.
Try it. Grab a bear and put a ring on its finger (it has 5 fingers in its paw).

awa
2010-06-08, 11:51 AM
Also i believe magic item compendium states that you just not to have a hoof or something i believe the example given was a worg. Besides as has been noted bears do have fingers and hybrid bear definitely have fingers.

Skaven
2010-06-08, 12:48 PM
Magic armor will resize to fit your new form, which is still humanoid (as long as you are in hybrid form)

I would peronally rule that clothing would become stretched and ripped somewhat.

However I would rule that when you get in town, you can buy and wear large baggy clothes that are a little too big for you but otherwise fit and that they would fit your new hybrid form when you shapeshift to hybrid form.

Just throw around a few GP for some new large clothing, I can't see any DM having a problem with it.

BobVosh
2010-06-08, 12:55 PM
You might want to recheck that. Sizing is a weapon-only property on page 43 of MIC. Armor doesn't resize except as a consequence of wild shape with the beastskin enhancement. There's a different property (variable) for shields.

...Er, who claimed it did? Wasn't me >.> (12 on a bluff check)

Bears do have fingers.
Try it. Grab a bear and put a ring on its finger (it has 5 fingers in its paw).

Cause if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it

BTW, am I the only one who keeps misreading this thread title as "Werebear wererobe malfunction?

Another_Poet
2010-06-08, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=BobVosh;8655009Cause if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it[/QUOTE]

You win the thread.

Crusader2010
2010-06-11, 03:30 AM
Magic armor will resize to fit your new form, which is still humanoid (as long as you are in hybrid form)

But where does it say that?

Good suggestions so far.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-11, 04:15 AM
But where does it say that?
Good suggestions so far.

It doesn't say that magic item resizing is only under wondrous items and rings.

panaikhan
2010-06-11, 08:00 AM
Spandex, for the fuller figure.

But seriously, I think Wild Armour only works for druids and Wild Shape, not for shapeshifters in general.
As a DM, I would allow armour to be constructed to allow for the increase in size, but would impose a minor penalty to AC after the expansion (the armour does not cover as much as it used to)