PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Elf (PEACH, looking for balance level)

Ilriyn
2010-06-06, 06:24 PM
So I'm looking to implement this subrace of elves into a campaign, but I just want to have the playgrounders check it for balance.

Twilight Elf

Twilight Elf Fluff
Twilight Elves are a small subrace of elves that split off from the main group back during their first dissensions with the Drow. While twilight elves are cousins of the Drow, and have somewhat similar appearances, they do not share their evil morality. Instead, they favor neutrality and balance. Some theorize that their neutrality is what led to them being ostracized from the greater elven community; when the drow separated themselves from the rest of elvenkind, the twilight elves attempts at peacemaking only antagonized both elves and drow.

In a world of extremes, twilight elves seek balance. They know that as much evil can come from a self-righteous paladin, as from the greatest of fiends. While the men of their communities do not travel often, instead preferring to philosophize and establish order in their lands; the females of the twilight elves, when they travel, look for ways to insure that change happens gradually, and that balance is preserved.

Personality:
A twilight elf's personality largely depends on which school of thought he has been educated in. The males, who are usually taught in schools of philosophy, art, and teaching, are organized and careful. They prefer thinking to traveling, and some are almost xenophobic. The females, who are usually taught in schools of rhetoric, diplomacy, and reason, are more free with themselves. Though they still share of love of knowledge and learning, they prefer to act on their knowledge. The guardians are always trained in schools of war, strategy, and athleticism. They care not for thinking and philosophy, only with protecting their homes. However, nearly all twilight elves seek for balance of form, thought and action.

Physical Appearance:
Twilight elves share the same grace and features that characterize most elves, though there are some minor differences that distinguish them from other elves. They are slightly taller than the average high elf, and it is not unusual to see a guardian top 6 feet in stature. Men are typically around 5 and a half feet tall, and women usually stand 5 feet tall. They are all slim, though the guardians tend to be more bulky. Like their drow cousins, twilight elves have very light hair, sometimes even white. However, they do not share the drow's dark skin, and instead are very fair-skinned.

Perhaps the greatest difference between them and other elves is the rate at which they age. Though they share the same long age of other elves, physically, a twilight elf male mature by roughly the age of 30, females are mature roughly at the age of 18, and the guardians mature at as young of an age as 10. Twilight elves still trance like other elves do.

Relations:
In their relations with other species, twilight elves are much like other elves, gracious, but somewhat haughty. Females tend to be much less haughty and xenophobic than men. Twilight elves are distant from other elves, and regard the drow much as the other elves do. Though they do have somewhat better relations with them.

Alignment:
Twilight elves are very often neutral in both axis's of alignment. They seek perfection through balance, and hold that to much good is as bad as too much evil. Still, they are typically kind and caring, and are prone to performing little acts of kindness.

Twilight Elf Lands:
Twilight elves live far to the north in large cities amid snow-covered mountains. They like to congregate, both for protection, and for the sake of civilization and commerce. Living as far north as they do, they have developed a resistance to cold weather. They use farming typically augmented with magic to provide for themselves. Twilight elves are famous for their smiths, and arms and armor produced by them are highly sought after.

Religion:
If a twilight elf worships any god, it is likely to be Correllon Larethian. However, many twilight elves worship no god, preferring to revere more abstract concepts.

Adventurers:
Very few male twilight elves leave their homes, and seeing a male adventurer is a very rare sight. More females become adventurers, typically becoming sorcerers, rogues, or druids. Gaurdians rarely adventure, though some do in an effort to improve their fighting prowess. They are typically fighters.

Twilight Elf Traits

A twilight elf has all of the high elf traits in addition to the traits presented below.

Male Twilight Elf
Ability Modifiers: +2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence.
Darkvision: 60 ft. This replaces an elf's low-light vision.
Spell-like Abilities: Twilight elves can use the following spell-like abilities each once per day: Dancing Lights, Faerie Fire. Caster level is equal to the Twilight Elf's class level.
Cold Endurance: +4 Racial bonus on Fortitude saves
to resist the effects of exposure to severe cold weather. Does not need to save against the effects of cold weather.
+2 racial bonus to any Craft skill.
+1 racial bonus to any skill
LA: +1

Female Twilight Elf
Ability Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence
Darkvision: 60 ft. This replaces an elf's low-light vision.
Spell-like Abilities: Twilight elves can use the following spell-like abilities each once per day: Dancing Lights, Faerie Fire. Caster level is equal to the Twilight Elf's class level.
to resist the effects of exposure to severe cold weather. Does not need to save against the effects of cold weather.
+2 racial bonus to any skill.

Guardian Twilight Elf

A guardian is a sterile twilight elf typically tasked with protecting the other twilight elves. Guardians are born in larger numbers than males or females, and are distinguished from them by their lack of reproductive anatomy, and their higher rate of maturation.

Ability Modifiers: +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence. A guardian does not have a racial penalty to constitution.
Darkvision: 120 ft. This replaces an elf's low-light vision.
+2 racial bonus to Climp, Jump, and Balance checks.
Gains weapon focus with all elven weapons. (Longsword, Rapier, Longbow and Shortbow)

Spiryt
2010-06-06, 06:29 PM
About balance?

I think quite a bit too weak for LA + 1.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-06-06, 06:33 PM
I think quite a bit too weak for LA + 1.

Definitely. The Guardian Elf is a solid LA +0 (and you reference an Elf's normal Strength penalty...which doesn't exist...), and the rest are only above LA +0 because of the dual bonuses. Even then, their other racial bonuses are virtually meaningless, so I'd probably say they're LA +0 as well, although I wouldn't really feel good about it.

Edit: Just noticed this is in addition to standard High Elf traits (which means that you'll want to make that section more obvious). You might be good with LA +1 then, although you could hand out a few more small abilities.

Ilriyn
2010-06-06, 06:39 PM
Definitely. The Guardian Elf is a solid LA +0 (and you reference an Elf's normal Strength penalty...which doesn't exist...), and the rest are only above LA +0 because of the dual bonuses. Even then, their other racial bonuses are virtually meaningless, so I'd probably say they're LA +0 as well, although I wouldn't really feel good about it.

Edit: Just noticed this is in addition to standard High Elf traits (which means that you'll want to make that section more obvious). You might be good with LA +1 then, although you could hand out a few more small abilities.

Oops, I meant the constitution penalty, I'll change that. I will also highlight the in addition part.

I was also thinking about giving them Faerie Fire and Dancing lights as SLA's, like a drow. What do you think?

Raiki
2010-06-06, 09:37 PM
I'd say that this is a pretty solid +1 LA. The 3 bonuses to 1 penalty puts it well out of the range of +0, but nowhere near +2.

All in all, I have to say that I like it. I've always loved seeing the elven flavor of the week. :smallbiggrin:

~R~