PDA

View Full Version : Question about EB:

Os1ris09
2010-06-06, 07:08 PM
So I was reading the quicken-spell like ability feat from the MM and I was wondering something.

If you have a ED with 1 lvl in Warlock before going into it and you go say 5 lvls into ED are you considered a 6th lvl warlock and the EB is considered a 3rd lvl spell equivalent or is it still a 1st lvl spell equivalent because you only have 1 Class level in Warlock?

Text which I am refering too:
"An eldritch blast is a ray with a range of 60 feet. It is a ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw. An eldritch blast deals 1d6 points of damage at 1st level and increases in power as the warlock rises in level. An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal
to one-half the warlock’s class level (round down), with a minimum spell level of 1st and a maximum of 9th when a warlock reaches 18th level or higher."

Starbuck_II
2010-06-06, 07:10 PM
So I was reading the quicken-spell like ability feat from the MM and I was wondering something.

If you have a ED with 1 lvl in Warlock before going into it and you go say 5 lvls into ED are you considered a 6th lvl warlock and the EB is considered a 3rd lvl spell equivalent or is it still a 1st lvl spell equivalent because you only have 1 Class level in Warlock?

Text which I am refering too:
"An eldritch blast is a ray with a range of 60 feet. It is a ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw. An eldritch blast deals 1d6 points of damage at 1st level and increases in power as the warlock rises in level. An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal
to one-half the warlock’s class level (round down), with a minimum spell level of 1st and a maximum of 9th when a warlock reaches 18th level or higher."

It was errated to 1st lv spell always unless you attach a Blast shape or Essence invocation.

Os1ris09
2010-06-06, 07:14 PM
It was errated to 1st lv spell always unless you attach a Blast shape or Essence invocation.

Ok so if I applied an edlritch glaive invocation or the ED's healing blast ability it would change the spell level. Or would it only change if I applied an invocation to it?

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-06, 07:17 PM
Ok so if I applied an edlritch glaive invocation or the ED's healing blast ability it would change the spell level. Or would it only change if I applied an invocation to it?

I'm not sure what that "or" is for because you seem to be saying the same thing in both these sentences...

Anyway, yes, Eldritch Blast is either 1st level, or the level of any blast shape or essence invocation applied to it, whichever is higher.

Os1ris09
2010-06-06, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure what that "or" is for because you seem to be saying the same thing in both these sentences...

Anyway, yes, Eldritch Blast is either 1st level, or the level of any blast shape or essence invocation applied to it, whichever is higher.

What I mean is that Healing blast isn't an invocation and Glaive is. Healing blast is a class feature from ED. So that being said my sentence I think may make a little more sense.

Also can someone help me find the Complete Arcane Errata so I can print it out to have for my DM.

On another note I can't find the mortalbane feat. It seems interesting and I was gonna go read about it and I can't find it in any book I possess.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-06, 07:34 PM
Book of Vile Darkness.

Escheton
2010-06-06, 07:46 PM
Pride & Prejudice(and zombies)

Optimystik
2010-06-06, 09:30 PM
What I mean is that Healing blast isn't an invocation and Glaive is. Healing blast is a class feature from ED. So that being said my sentence I think may make a little more sense.

Though Healing Blast replaces any Eldritch Essence you would have applied, it isn't actually an Essence itself. The level of your blast should therefore remain unchanged unless you apply a blast shape to it.

Also can someone help me find the Complete Arcane Errata so I can print it out to have for my DM.

Official Errata are found here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a)

On another note I can't find the mortalbane feat. It seems interesting and I was gonna go read about it and I can't find it in any book I possess.

Remember that Mortalbane is useless against undead, outsiders or constructs, so if you expect to fight lots of those you should skip this one.

Psionic Shot (and GPS) can boost your EB damage equally well, and work regardless of your target's type. You'll need to be a psionic race of course, but there are some nice ones for a Warlock, such as a Xeph.

Os1ris09
2010-06-06, 10:03 PM
Though Healing Blast replaces any Eldritch Essence you would have applied, it isn't actually an Essence itself. The level of your blast should therefore remain unchanged unless you apply a blast shape to it.

Official Errata are found here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a)

Remember that Mortalbane is useless against undead, outsiders or constructs, so if you expect to fight lots of those you should skip this one.

Psionic Shot (and GPS) can boost your EB damage equally well, and work regardless of your target's type. You'll need to be a psionic race of course, but there are some nice ones for a Warlock, such as a Xeph.

LOL totally ninja'd:

My next question was mortal bane worth it because it effectively cuts all damage done to non humanoid creatures in half. :smalltongue: Also I kinda figured that about the healing blast. But can you do a healing blast with something like eldritch glaive or cone?

As for psionic races I am not gonna push my DM for it since he is very strict on keeping things balanced for players not experienced as I am. We just got a whole bunch of new people playing with us and I am going to keep the power level down and just be a little watered down version of cheese. I will still use DMM persist and the like but I am not gonna break out the ToB and psionics just yet.