PDA

View Full Version : Need Computer Help (Or, armchair theorizing on fixes, really.)

Drakevarg
2010-06-06, 07:48 PM
Mostly because I'm bored and since this is really the only decently sized forum I hang out on, I thought I'd ask the Playground for some ideas on how to fix a problem I've been having with my laptop.

My disc drive won't play anything except DVDs.

It's been like this for several months now, and I remember the first time I noticed this was while I was watching my Firefly DVD collection. (I'm not blaming the collection, I'm just saying that's when I noticed the problem.)

It won't play any software or music, which sucks because I've been having a jones to play both Morrowind and NWN2 lately and I'm an avid music lover who can't download any of his CDs.

I've already done pretty much everything I can think of, calling tech support, restarting my hard drive, installing and uninstalling the drivers, and I can't think of anything else to fix it other than just flat-out replacing the hardware, and at this point it'd probably be cheaper to just by a new laptop.

So, out of desperation, I thought I'd see what ideas the Playground could come up with. Anything?

(On a vaguely related note, my computer has an annoying habit of shutting down when I'm in the middle of a game or watching a video. I can't figure out why this is, since I've already adjusted the power settings to never ever ever ever shut down without me specifically telling it to do so.)

IonDragon
2010-06-06, 08:22 PM
Disk drives have separate lasers for each function. Use an optical drive cleaner, and if that doesn't work get a new drive. Optical dries in laptops are either really easy or really difficult to fix. I've had one take less than 3 min and one take more than an hour. There is not much middle ground.

You're shutting down problem is probably related to overheating, as both of those can (don't always, but can) tax the video processor which causes plenty of heat. If you know a bit about computers, take it apart, blow out the dust and check the thermal paste. If you don't, pay somebody about $50 to do a diagnostic on it, and mention that you want them to do those things.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, a new optical drive is something on the order of $40-$80 USD on eBay

lesser_minion
2010-06-07, 07:36 PM
(On a vaguely related note, my computer has an annoying habit of shutting down when I'm in the middle of a game or watching a video. I can't figure out why this is, since I've already adjusted the power settings to never ever ever ever shut down without me specifically telling it to do so.)

I'm pretty sure that's either an overheating issue or a power issue. Can you describe what happens in more detail? Does Windows tell you it recovered from an error when you restart?

Zovc
2010-06-07, 10:13 PM
Not trying to be snooty or anything, but new disk drives are rather cheap, and really easy to install.

As to your overheating issue... yes, definitely dust your machine and reapply thermal paste.

Assuming you have a desktop, you should be able to get a new drive and reapply thermal paste for about $30, and I can assure you that you are intelligent enough to figure out how to do both of those on your own. This is mostly because it's pretty difficult to install a disk drive wrong. If you have a laptop, you should definitely have a 'professional' look at your machine.

IonDragon
2010-06-08, 01:34 AM
I've been having with my laptop.

Not a desktop. It's much tougher to do that all on a laptop.

Zovc
2010-06-08, 01:58 AM
Not a desktop. It's much tougher to do that all on a laptop.

Indeed. Sorry for skimming through your post, Psycho. Replacing your disc drive will be more expensive. If your laptop is younger than, say, a year, you may still have a warranty on it!

Drakevarg
2010-06-08, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that's either an overheating issue or a power issue. Can you describe what happens in more detail? Does Windows tell you it recovered from an error when you restart?

Nada. The screen just goes black, and a few seconds later the power cuts. When I turn it on again, it simply acts as if I shut it down myself. The only thing that seems to notice anything's off is Internet Explorer, which asks if I want to restore my previous session.

If your laptop is younger than, say, a year, you may still have a warranty on it!

It was a present for my 18th birthday, meaning it's only 6 months old. I'll have to check on the warranty bit.

lesser_minion
2010-06-08, 07:44 PM
That could be graphics, but it still sounds like overheating.

Try blowing some air into the intake and outlet for the laptop's air cooling - you can get a can of compressed air from most electronics stores.

Make sure not to hold it too close to the laptop (at least 2"/5cm away), and don't shake or tip the can (those can cause liquid to be released).

If you're taking it apart, then you may also want to do this to the CPU's cooling fan.