PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted] Question

Jokasti
2010-06-06, 08:47 PM
So, sorcerers can cast spells. Wow. This is nothing new. But one of their spells, Demon of the First Circle, summons a demon (of the first circle). Again, you can guess this. But, but, but! While perusing Infernals, a group consisting of Me, Myself, and I, noticed that one of the first steps in the grand plan of making an Infernal, a Yozi (well, one of five) puts the Exaltation into the demon in a {Scrubbed} weird manner. So, Jokasti thinks you can see where this is going. Could a Sorcerer Summon a Demon (of the First Circle) Containing an Infernal Exaltation? If so, what could said Sorcerer Do with Them?

GryffonDurime
2010-06-06, 08:52 PM
Mmm. I'd say probably not, in the same way that you can't ask for a demon that knows Sorcery. Even if you could, it wouldn't be much help. The Yozi can pull the Exaltation back to the Lillun instantly, vaportizing the demon it's in. Seems like the sort of thing they'd do on the off chance that you summoned that one neomah with a shard in its gullet.

Jokasti
2010-06-06, 08:54 PM
Does the Yozi know the status of the demon/Exaltation? Could magic prevent the Exaltation from returning? Solar Circle, maybe?

horngeek
2010-06-06, 08:54 PM
Funny. In the Infernals book, the Yozi gets one of their Yozi-worshipping cults to summon the demon in question to get it in Creation quicker.

HOWEVER, normally they get them to summon it using Thatamurgacy instead of Sorcery.

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-06, 09:00 PM
Yes, you can summon a demon carrying an Infernal Exaltation. However, the possibility of you doing by pure chance, rather than by the explicit approval of the Yozis, is very very low, considering the incredibly large number of the First Circle hosts and their generally nameless nature*. It is much more likely that a Yozi sends a certain demon to Creation immediately after planting the Exaltation in it using his Creation-born cultists.

* First Circle demons can and do have names. However, a mortal is very unlikely to know what that name is unless he consorts with demons frequently, in which case he is probably either Exalted or a Yozi cultist.

GryffonDurime
2010-06-06, 09:03 PM
Could magic prevent the Exaltation from returning? Solar Circle, maybe?

Very little in the setting is capable of interacting with an Exaltation. It's something usually reserved for exceptionally specific N/A magic. So probably not, no. Unless you were Lytek, who could potentially burn away the Yozi connection, or similarly specialized in Exaltation. Exaltation is the big sacred cow of the setting, and very little can--or should--interfere with their ultimate autonomy.

Jokasti
2010-06-06, 09:04 PM
Does demon-summoning work if the demon is in Creation? And replace "Sorcerer" with "Thaumaturge" if it makes more sense crunchily.
OK, the chance is low, but it has to happen sometime. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MillionToOneChance)

Jokasti
2010-06-06, 09:05 PM
Very little in the setting is capable of interacting with an Exaltation. It's something usually reserved for exceptionally specific N/A magic. So probably not, no. Unless you were Lytek, who could potentially burn away the Yozi connection, or similarly specialized in Exaltation. Exaltation is the big sacred cow of the setting, and very little can--or should--interfere with their ultimate autonomy.

A mini-Jade prison to keep the Exaltation there, mayhaps? Would that work?

GryffonDurime
2010-06-06, 09:06 PM
Does demon-summoning work if the demon is in Creation? And replace "Sorcerer" with "Thaumaturge" if it makes more sense crunchily.

If the demon isn't bound by Sorcery, actually, I think you can summon them regardless of where they are.

OK, the chance is low, but it has to happen sometime. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MillionToOneChance)

Yes, it can happen in the same way that you can theoretically find out that your high school sweetheart has the exact same fingerprints as you. Not actually impossible, but functionally so.

A mini-Jade prison to keep the Exaltation there, mayhaps? Would that work?

Depends. Do you have the assistance of a titan or two? Because that seems to be how the Sidereals made the first Jade Prison. The Ebon Dragon certainly is a sneaky fellow, isn't he?

Jokasti
2010-06-06, 09:22 PM
Depends. Do you have the assistance of a titan or two? Because that seems to be how the Sidereals made the first Jade Prison. The Ebon Dragon certainly is a sneaky fellow, isn't he?

Sneaky enough to, say, plot to get all 50 Infernal Exaltations from his compatriots? I really don't know, would he do that?
Would you need titans? Could you superglue the Jade Prison back together? A sidereal made copies of the blueprint? What could you do with it?

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-06, 09:26 PM
Would you need titans? Could you superglue the Jade Prison back together? A sidereal made copies of the blueprint? What could you do with it?

Sidereals aren't responsible for the Usurpation, nor the Jade Prison. Despite everything Yu-Shan knows, no evidence will attest to any responsibility on the Sidereals' part. That means there are no blueprints of the Jade Prison, and even the Sidereals who created it do not know who did what.

Jokasti
2010-06-06, 09:29 PM
The breaking of the Mask, right? Did that destroy physical evidence too?

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-06, 09:33 PM
It destroyed anything that could prove that the Sidereals masterminded the Usurpation. Everyone knows the Sidereals did it, but no one can prove it, so the overwhelming bureaucracy of Yu-Shan means they are not stripped of their heavenly duties (however, a lot of gods will take great pleasure in making it as hard for them as possible, including the censors).

Kylarra
2010-06-06, 09:39 PM
There is some minor precedent in void circle necromancy spell for reclaiming abyssal exaltations that have had their monstrance's destroyed, albeit only on a theoretical basis.

BobVosh
2010-06-07, 01:15 AM
I would allow Solar circle sorcery to do this...Its better than what the sidereals could do, etc. However I would still require a lot for it to work. Especially since it has to be better than what golden age sidereals could manage.

Overall I would say not really worth it, but possible.

Aquillion
2010-06-07, 09:26 AM
Yes, you can summon a demon carrying an Infernal Exaltation. However, the possibility of you doing by pure chance, rather than by the explicit approval of the Yozis, is very very low, considering the incredibly large number of the First Circle hosts and their generally nameless nature*. It is much more likely that a Yozi sends a certain demon to Creation immediately after planting the Exaltation in it using his Creation-born cultists.
When a Sorcerer summons a demon, they can specify any requirements for that demon that they wish, and it will call up one that meets those requirements, provided they exist (with only one exception: you cannot summon a demon based on its ability to cast Sorcery.)