PDA

View Full Version : New to psionics.

AustontheGreat1
2010-06-07, 12:39 AM
So I'm new to psionics, giving it a try for the first time, and I'm wondering if there are one of those fan made unofficial guides to playing a psion. I tried googling it but I didn't find anything. Specifically, I need help selecting powers.

Binks
2010-06-07, 12:47 AM
Is something like this what you're looking for? (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19571514/3.5_Psion_Buildguide_and_Compendium)

AustontheGreat1
2010-06-07, 12:50 AM
Almost exactly what I'm looking for :smallcool:

DragoonWraith
2010-06-07, 01:02 AM
And remember, you cannot spend more Power Points than your Manifester Level ever (barring Wild Surge or Overchannel, but only in those specific and limited cases).

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 01:03 AM
The formatting! It burns!

For the sake of your continued vision, I implore you to use the BG version (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1036.0) instead.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-07, 02:57 AM
And remember, you cannot spend more Power Points than your Manifester Level ever (barring Wild Surge or Overchannel, but only in those specific and limited cases).

Note: this limitation is per power manifested, in case you're able to manifest more than one power in the same round. (Just to clarify.)

Cadian 9th
2010-06-07, 04:54 AM

Hold on, does that apply to Lurk Augementation when she has the Lurk Master Feat? So, at 1st level, she could do a 2d6 sneak attack because her effective Manifester level is +2?

Dante

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 09:02 AM
Hold on, does that apply to Lurk Augementation when she has the Lurk Master Feat? So, at 1st level, she could do a 2d6 sneak attack because her effective Manifester level is +2?

Dante

Yes, Lurk Master allows you to spend 2 PP on your "additional sneak attack" augment, granting 1d6 base + 1d6 = 2d6 SA at level 1.

Aharon
2010-06-07, 09:05 AM
I can't resist...

The lurk can sneak attack better than the rogue? Just shows again how broken psionics are!

:smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2010-06-07, 09:06 AM
It's the lurk. It's not exactly going to be storming the bastions of OP-ness.:smallbiggrin:

RelentlessImp
2010-06-07, 09:10 AM
It's the lurk. It's not exactly going to be storming the bastions of OP-ness.:smallbiggrin:

...Isn't the Lurk used in quite a few power builds? Or am I thinking of the Ardent?

Keld Denar
2010-06-07, 09:14 AM
You are thinking Ardent. Lurk doesn't multiclass very well...

OP-ness.
Obligatory phallic joke.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 09:49 AM
I can't resist...

The lurk can sneak attack better than the rogue? Just shows again how broken psionics are!

You'll need decent Int and/or a psionic race to pull it off - Lurks only get 1 base PP at first level.

Obligatory phallic joke.

[insert fratboy sniggering]

Cadian 9th
2010-06-07, 06:11 PM
Win, My Gestalt NED dungeon just got awsome. Ah, but it costs.

Perhaps I'll refine it a bit. Lurk/Psion 1 with int 18 and elan race: Feats: Lurk Master, Psionic weapon, Elan Improved Resistance, Psionic Body (+8 hp)

Absorb 4 damage/pp.

Dante

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-07, 07:29 PM
Win, My Gestalt NED dungeon just got awsome. Ah, but it costs.

Perhaps I'll refine it a bit. Lurk/Psion 1 with int 18 and elan race: Feats: Lurk Master, Psionic weapon, Elan Improved Resistance, Psionic Body (+8 hp)

Absorb 4 damage/pp.

Dante

Just to note: there are much better means of damage mitigation than an Elan's resistance, improved or otherwise.

Cadian 9th
2010-06-07, 08:30 PM
Just to note: there are much better means of damage mitigation than an Elan's resistance, improved or otherwise.

O? Please, List. I'm eager to learn stuff like that :smallsmile:
I thought it was good becuase you can apply it after you know how much you're gonna take.
\
Dante

Starbuck_II
2010-06-07, 08:38 PM
Vigor adds 5 Temp hp/pp added. It lasts min/lv, but Vigor is a standard action. You'd need Quicken power to do it without wasting a turn. But very much worth it.

Elan only block 2/pp (meaning Elan's is not worth it in comparison)

Cadian 9th
2010-06-07, 08:42 PM
Vigor adds 5 Temp hp/pp added. It lasts min/lv, but Vigor is a standard action. You'd need Quicken power to do it without wasting a turn. But very much worth it.

Yeah, I have both. Plus the Elans Improved Resilience = 4/pp and Psionic body +8 hp, so vigour for +5 thp, lurk 1st: 6, 19 hp and absorb up to 36/day.
open to ideas
dante

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-07, 08:44 PM

Basically, this. You can also share pain with your psicrystal. At later levels, you can extend Vigor so it'll last for the dungeon crawl. End result is 10 HP/power point.

Samb
2010-06-07, 08:47 PM
I can't resist...

Lurks are also limited to how often they can apply lurk augments per day while a rogue is not. Lurk might be able to out SA a rogue with one attack but a rogue can full attack and have SA applied to all hits. Psionic SA progresses very slowly as well.

Honestly there is a lot wrong with Lurk, a psychic rogue is a better choice.

Cadian 9th
2010-06-07, 09:01 PM
Basically, this. You can also share pain with your psicrystal. At later levels, you can extend Vigor so it'll last for the dungeon crawl. End result is 10 HP/power point.

Hey, whats up with that? How does that work?

Also, how is the best way to boost the ammount of PP you can spend on a power?

Dante

Draz74
2010-06-07, 09:05 PM

Adventure until you gain enough XP to attain a higher character level. :smalltongue:

(With an honorable mention to Overchannel (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#overchannel).)

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-07, 09:09 PM
Hey, whats up with that? How does that work?

Dante

Vigor adds 5 temp HP. You share its bonus with your psicrystal. You then use Share pain between you and the psicrystal so that whenever you or it takes damage, half of it goes to the other, extending the bonus from the Vigor power, in effect.

As for ramping up PP spending abilities, ramp up your manifester level through items like Orange Ioun stones, assuming full magic/psionic transparency. Other than that, Overchannel and Wild Surge for temporary fun and profit boosts.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 09:57 PM
(With an honorable mention to Overchannel (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#overchannel).)

Overchannel is nice with Talented. After all, many of your most useful powers are 3rd-level and below - Vigor, Astral Construct and Ego Whip, for instance.

Cadian 9th
2010-06-10, 02:05 AM
So, Overchannel Talented and Body Fuel are good, huh? It seems so innocous but the ability to do a 2d6+2 fire ray or 2d10 mind thrust (will save allowed) or adding 10 THP instead of 5 thp is awsome.

Dante

Hendel
2010-06-10, 02:33 AM
Overchannel is nice with Talented. After all, many of your most useful powers are 3rd-level and below - Vigor, Astral Construct and Ego Whip, for instance.

This is great and you can augment the heck out of a power but it is still below 3rd level so you can add some more points of augmenting like a cherry on top.

Cadian 9th
2010-06-10, 04:36 AM
You can only overchannel by 1 level until 8th level - yes, you are right, but lower level It's not terribly awsome. Its really good at 1st level, I mean, how many builds do you know who are getting 10 thp, casting a +2+AB 2d6+2 fire ray, 2d10 Will save or take damage, or even extra speed etc, :smallsmile:

I personally want to find the answer to the 1st level gestalt two flaws, two traits dilemna.

Dante

Greenish
2010-06-10, 07:38 AM
Its really good at 1st level, I mean, how many builds do you know who are getting 10 thp, casting a +2+AB 2d6+2 fire ray, 2d10 Will save or take damage, or even extra speed etc, :smallsmile:An Incarnate or a totemist should have something the like.

Optimystik
2010-06-10, 08:45 AM
You can only overchannel by 1 level until 8th level - yes, you are right, but lower level It's not terribly awsome.

That's still one more level than the wizard or sorcerer are overchanneling. And any means they use of boosting their CL will work for you too, thanks to transparency.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-10, 09:51 AM
So, Overchannel Talented and Body Fuel are good, huh? It seems so innocous but the ability to do a 2d6+2 fire ray or 2d10 mind thrust (will save allowed) or adding 10 THP instead of 5 thp is awsome.

DanteAvoid Body Fuel like the plague that it is. Three points of ability burn for 24 hours in exchange for 2pp is absolutely horrible, and never ever worth considering taking as a feat.

No, not even then.

Cadian 9th
2010-06-10, 06:44 PM
Hrm?

You know, I think its worth it: just to have as an option. And lets face it, if you're a psion, what does it matter that your scores are taking a hit?

I guess you're right...

How do you suggest to gain PP? :smallconfused:

Dante

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-10, 07:05 PM
Hrm?

You know, I think its worth it: just to have as an option. And lets face it, if you're a psion, what does it matter that your scores are taking a hit?

I guess you're right...

Dante

stacks of +1 manifesting arrows (5 PP per arrow)
being a race with bonus PP (Elan, Kalashtar, etc)
I am sure there is at least 1 trick to gain infinite PP
High int scores

sonofzeal
2010-06-10, 08:54 PM
If LA-buyoff is allowed, I recommend "Empty Vessel". They're basically humans with some small bonuses and +1 pp per level. Not huge for a psion, but a big difference for a psiwar.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-10, 09:14 PM
Hrm?

I guess you're right...

DantePsions aren't like wizards; they don't get very many NO buttons. They're more likely to take the hit and keep going than avoid getting hit to begin with, so Body Fuel is a big no-no.

If you want lots of pp, take Leadership or go thrallherd, and get thralls with bestow power. Grab some +1 manifester arrows (that's +5 pp per, and they're pretty cheap). Be a Spell-to-Power erudite and cast mental pinnacle. Go ardent, take all 10 levels in metamind, grab Practiced Manifester and temporal reiteration, and say goodbye to your swift actions (but say hello to infinite power points). You can also use Earth Power, a torc of power preservation, and bestow power (or any number of other feats to reduce manifesting costs) and find ways to get some pp back.

Cadian 9th
2010-06-11, 01:58 AM
oooo nice trick, I'd have to test that.

I've been finding the awsomeness of a psionic character (ardent) gestalted with a shape shifting druid. Oooo yeah. Any good ideas for making that work really well? (Strongheart halfling) (Mental Energy) (Physical Power) Str 14, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 8. :smallsmile:

Dante

Optimystik
2010-06-11, 02:10 AM
Please note that PP recovery tricks are generally frowned on unless you have a very lenient DM.

StP Erudite... is just plain frowned on.

Cadian 9th
2010-06-11, 02:23 AM
Yeah, True.

I managed to pick out the Syncrocity/Elemental envoy combo at 1st level. I'm not going to run that unless its a competitive match, such as NED.
Dante