PDA

View Full Version : Half Harpy (Pathfinder Homebrew race) [PEACH]

Ravens_cry
2010-06-07, 01:05 AM
Half-Harpy

+2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution:
While exotically alluring and preternaturally agile, half-harpies are fragile creatures with thin, weak bones.
Medium: Half-harpies are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Half-harpies have a base speed of 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Half-harpies can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
+2 on Perform: Sing
Echoes of the harpies alluring cry lives on in these half-breeds.
+2 on Fly checks, and Fly is always a class skill
Though lacking the wings of their progenitors, the instincts of flight still run strong in their blood
1d4 claw attack:
Strong, sharp, almost claws, nails leave their mark.
Languages: Half-harpies begin play speaking Common. Half-harpies with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).

An extraordinarily new race, thought to have started with the love between a paladin hero and a harpy sorceress, some of the other harpies who have incorporated themselves into Humanoid societies have added their number to this infant culture.
Their unsettling appearance often invites disdain and prejudice, as does their unusual origins.
While females are more common then males, both genders can and do exist and breed successfully.
Some jaded pallets, hungry for novelty, find them exotic, and the trafficking of these rare folk as slaves has proven profitable to some less scrupulous merchants
Physical Description: They largely resemble half elves, only with feathers interposed in their hair (which tends to be spiky and stick straight up), eyes with cats like slits and their nails are uncommonly sharp and pointed. Their hair and feathers runs to unusual, for humans, colours and patterns, taking after various birds, usually predatory ones.
Society: Far and few between, they do not have anything like a unified culture, though they will seek out others of their kind if word reaches them. Most think themselves unique in the world.
Relations: Struggling to form lasting bonds with the other more populous races, they are most comfortable in the company of other half breeds, though will take any acceptance they can.
Alignment and Religion: Like most of their mothers, they too struggle with inner demons and temptation to abuse their potential influence over others. Some succeed, some fail.
Also, their oddness and rarity means they generally don’t blend in well with other humanoids. Chaotic neutral is the most common alignment, though only on average.
As far as religions go, to some half-harpies they are a place they can escape from the pressures of the world. To others, they are just another potential source of rejection.
Adventurers: Your appearance doesn’t matter if you are quick with blade or spell, or so many half-harpies hope. In the company of misfits, their oddness stands out less.
OK, long story short, my paladin in a recently finished campaign, Legacy of Fire is awesome by the way, fell in love with a certain harpy, and at the end of the campaign, got hitched to said harpy.
Ah love, it makes fools of us all. I kneeled down and proposed and everything.
Actually, it was one of my, no, was my favourite role playing ever, superseding the shouting match in the same campaign. The party rogue was my best man. It was beautiful.

Anyway, considering there is half dragons, half fiends, half orcs, half elves and centaurs, why not half harpies, I thought.
So here is my home brew of this unusual race. Yeah, they are a little emo in fluff, but wouldn't you be though? Which is a better option for flight as far as balance for the Fly bonus is concerned, or do you have a better suggestion?
There, I made a choice.
Should +1 on damage for unarmed strikes be added due to the sharp nails? Thought so.
Any other thoughts and critiques and thoughts on fluff and power level are more then welcome.
Just as a reminder, this is balanced for Pathfinder, not Dungeons and Dragons 3.5.

Eloi
2010-06-07, 01:13 AM
This is awesome, and so is the story! And yes, add in the +1 in unarmed strikes, it only makes sense.

sigurd
2010-06-07, 01:16 AM
Really good race. I'd play it.

Are they always female?

Ravens_cry
2010-06-07, 01:21 AM
Really good race. I'd play it.

Are they always female?
I think I'll add that, "while females are more common then males, both can and do exist and breed." or something similar. Thanks for the suggestion.:smallsmile:

This is awesome, and so is the story! And yes, add in the +1 in unarmed strikes, it only makes sense.
I thought so, so I'll add that.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-08, 12:10 AM
Forgive me forum, for I have sinned. I have bumped my own thread and double posted.
Well, I am still wondering what would be a better, more balanced bonus to flight?
Is this is general a well balanced race?
Anything that should be added?
Does it squick you?
Thank you.

Eloi
2010-06-08, 12:37 AM
Forgive me forum, for I have sinned. I have bumped my own thread and double posted.
Well, I am still wondering what would be a better, more balanced bonus to flight?
Is this is general a well balanced race?
Anything that should be added?
Does it squick you?
Thank you.
No its not squick-y, I've been around 4chan, nothing squicks me anymore.
I think your race is well balanced as is and you shouldn't change anything, as it seems to perfect now.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-08, 11:51 AM
No its not squick-y, I've been around 4chan, nothing squicks me anymore.
I think your race is well balanced as is and you shouldn't change anything, as it seems to perfect now.
OK thanks. I decided on making flight always a class skill.
Or is that too weak?

Eloi
2010-06-08, 11:55 AM
OK thanks. I decided on making flight always a class skill.
Or is that too weak?

Nope its balanced, go for that.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-08, 12:45 PM
Nope its balanced, go for that.
All righty then, thank you so much for your input. Now for the hard part, seen if I can get it past my DM.:smalltongue:
Edit: Google must love this site, this page is the top search for Pathfinder+Harpy.

Eloi
2010-06-08, 01:02 PM
All righty then, thank you so much for your input. Now for the hard part, seen if I can get it past my DM.:smalltongue:
Edit: Google must love this site, this page is the top search for Pathfinder+Harpy.

Sentiments are similar, my thread was one of the first results for Best Optimized Character Builds D&D.

Nero24200
2010-06-08, 03:01 PM
The only issue I can really see is that the Unarmed Strike element stands out. To my knowledge, no other race has a racial bonus to damage. Plus, it may be a little pointless unless the harpy has Improved Unarmed Strike.

I propose that instead of such an ability, you give the harpy a natural claw attack(since no race gains a racial bonus to damage, but some races do gain natural weapons, and claws seem to fit quite well).

Another_Poet
2010-06-08, 03:11 PM
I think +2 Cha +2 Dex is strong for just -2 Con.

You need to list a Fly speed. Just having ranks (or racial bonuses) in the Fly skill isn't enough.

I agree that a bonus to unarmed damage is weird. A natural attack is a better call.

Overall it's one of the stronger races. The ability to fly, coupled with the stat adjustments, are what make it too much. Either one would be acceptable on its own but the two together put it over the top.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-08, 03:30 PM
I think +2 Cha +2 Dex is strong for just -2 Con.

You need to list a Fly speed. Just having ranks (or racial bonuses) in the Fly skill isn't enough.

I agree that a bonus to unarmed damage is weird. A natural attack is a better call.

Overall it's one of the stronger races. The ability to fly, coupled with the stat adjustments, are what make it too much. Either one would be acceptable on its own but the two together put it over the top.
No, you can't fly:smallsmile:. You just get a bonus to the skill. If you acquire the ability to fly, you'll find that you have an easier time of it from your ability to think in 3 dimensions due to your ancestry. Hence the bonus.
That's the rationalization anyway.
And this for Pathfinder. All core races get 2 +2 pluses and a minus -2 penalty, except for the human, half elves and half orcs, who get a discretionary +2
What do you think would be a fair and balanced claw attack? Pathfinder Harpies already get 1d6+3, so, 1d4?

Mongoose87
2010-06-08, 04:55 PM
I like the + to unarmed damage. Go ahead, be the first!

Jane_Smith
2010-06-08, 05:38 PM
1d4+str bonus claw attacks are fine. Honestly, its not that overpowered, you dont get multiple attacks from a high base attack bonus and a dagger does the same damage.

Also, unarmed doesnt fit. Unarmed is just 'generally' anything you can strike out with - your head, your elbows, your fists, your feet, flying kicks, and all that stuff that isnt a natural weapon. It does NOT mean just your hands/etc. As you have it worded currently, your basically saying "oh, they got long, sharp nails, so they get +1 unarmed damage when elbowing someone in the face."

Ravens_cry
2010-06-08, 06:35 PM
However, the way you suggest means "I may have super sharp fingernails and toenails to the point of being practically claws, but I can only use one of four once every six seconds" Unless you're a monk, you are using your hands for unarmed attacks, otherwise how would gauntlets convert ALL unarmed strike damage to lethal?

Jane_Smith
2010-06-08, 07:32 PM
Actually you can attack once each round with all natural attacks you possess. 2 claws = 2 claw attacks.

Meh, dnd rules suck? I always let natural attacks (primary anyway) gain additional attacks based on bab in any game i run, just to make monsters more threatening.

Acanous
2012-04-08, 10:38 PM
There's a feat for iterative natural attacks, although you have to take it once per attack per iteration.

Lemmy
2012-04-08, 11:13 PM
Raise And Walk Among The Living Once More, Fallen Thread!

Zale
2012-04-08, 11:55 PM
LAZARUS THREAD ARISE!

:smallbiggrin:

Interesting race. Though I'm not sure I can link harpy to alluring.. :smallconfused:

Saisix
2015-03-18, 11:50 PM
Yea I know this post is pretty old but I was looking into a harpy or half harpy race to play and after looking at this I have to say I think its a little under powered. If run through the Race maker the RP points only add up to 8.

Type Humanoid 0 RP
Size Medium 0 RP
Speed Normal 0 RP
Ability Standard 0 RP
Speech Linguist 1 RP
Skill Bonus Sing 2 RP
Claws 2 RP
Low light vision 1 RP
Vestigial Wings 2 RP (This gives a +4 to fly not just a +2)

To put this into perspective the only Core Race that only has 8 RP is the Half Orc. And for a half beast race I would expect at least 11 RP. The highest RP for a Pure class race (No HD from race) is the Aasimar at 15 RP.

I would suggest replacing the Vestigial Wings with Gliding wings 3 RP, replacing the Skill Bonus Sing with Hypnotic Gaze 3 RP (re-skinned as hypnotic voice), dropping the Linguist to Standard speech 0 RP (doesn't make sense for a shunned and hated race to know a bunch of different languages), and lastly adding Scavenger 2 RP. This adds up to a total of 11 RP the same as Dwarf and Elf and I think plays a lot more like a Harpy.