PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon of oozes 3.5

Froogleyboy
2010-06-07, 01:14 AM
Okay, I was thinking about dungeon ideas(shocking, I know :smalltongue: ). when the idea came to me: What about a dungeon filled with oozes? like every creature be an ooze. but I really can't think of how it would work, fluff wise. How would you guys make it work if you were going to DM it?

BRC
2010-06-07, 01:20 AM
Mad Wizard started making Oozes, got eaten by em.

casper
2010-06-07, 01:27 AM
Ooses were walking through dungeons and accidentally got splitted by sharp rocks. New ooses were eating moss and grew up. Then got splitted again. Repeat during some centuries.

Eloi
2010-06-07, 01:32 AM
There once was an evil wizard that plagued the town, until he was turned in to a gigantic ooze and broken into many oozes, escaping to the underground.

Tam_OConnor
2010-06-07, 01:36 AM
Having tried the aforementioned 'dungeon of oozes,' and failed miserably at it, I offer the following advice, crunch-wise:

Oozes aren't really monsters. They're puzzles; as soon as you figure out their vulnerabilities and what splits them (and so long as your resources hold out), they simply aren't challenging, just a slog through a bunch of hit points. With that in mind, don't design the oozes as the threat as much as the dungeon environment itself. Wherever you'd normally put a trap, replace it with an ooze. Riddles or other kinds of puzzles might work out well, perhaps created by the ooze-loving/ooze-food mage. Give them XP for defeating the dungeon, not so much the oozes.

Fluff-wise:

There's a strange magical phenomenon in the dungeon that transforms ordinary monsters into hideous (delicious) gelatinous monsters. And people who don't know how to properly deal with the oozes are aggravating the problem. Soon, they may as well rename the local area 'the Barony of Oozes.' The party has to get in, find out what exactly is causing the transformation, avoid getting transformed themselves, and shut things down.

Deth Muncher
2010-06-07, 01:42 AM
Are there any oozes that have an attack that turns you into an ooze?

Mastikator
2010-06-07, 01:47 AM
Dungeon used to be filled with kobolds. Then an ooze got in and started eating them, grew bigger and split into more oozes. Eventually wiping out the kobolds.
Now it's a dungeon filled with oozes.

Or maybe it's just one really big semi-intelligent ooze that's spread thin over the entire dungeon. The water that's dripping on the stalagmites? That's the ooze, watching you...

Deth Muncher
2010-06-07, 01:50 AM
Or maybe it's just one really big semi-intelligent ooze that's spread thin over the entire dungeon. The water that's dripping on the stalagmites? That's the ooze, watching you...

Heh. I could see that one being really funny.

"That random pool of water over there? OOZE. The ornate fountain that seems oddly out of place? ALSO HAS OOZE. You go to pee in the corner because you play a character that actually reflects real life? HOW DID THAT OOZE GET IN YOU?"

Mastikator
2010-06-07, 01:52 AM
Maybe the ooze would use a first alone first kill strategy, or wait until they sleep.
It could be a very scary game, since you could tell the player they feel like they're being watched all the time but none of them have any idea where the "monster in the dungeon" is (they don't know it's an all-encompassing ooze).

Drakevarg
2010-06-07, 01:53 AM
An ooze-filled dungeon is easy - make it a natural cave, and the oozes are essentially mobile cave mold. Watching the Planet Earth documentaries, it's not too far from reality...

Eloi
2010-06-07, 01:53 AM
Heh. I could see that one being really funny.

"That random pool of water over there? OOZE. The ornate fountain that seems oddly out of place? ALSO HAS OOZE. You go to pee in the corner because you play a character that actually reflects real life? HOW DID THAT OOZE GET IN YOU?"

:smalleek: What Paranoia Fuel! And Nausea Fuel. Or Fetish Fuel if you are very, very odd.

Deth Muncher
2010-06-07, 01:54 AM
Maybe the ooze would use a first alone first kill strategy, or wait until they sleep.
It could be a very scary game, since you could tell the player they feel like they're being watched all the time but none of them have any idea where the "monster in the dungeon" is (they don't know it's an all-encompassing ooze).

True. Say that a PC randomly got wet from a stalagwhatever dripping on them. Oops, turns out that piece of clothing is slowly becoming oozefood. You go to bed with that on? You wake up to being covered in ooze.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-07, 01:54 AM
Hmm, this is good stuff. Our rogue would totally dig this kind of idea

Maerok
2010-06-07, 01:55 AM
The dungeon itself is an ooze!

Deth Muncher
2010-06-07, 01:58 AM
Really? Has no one else said this? I guess I'll have to...

Yo dawg, I herd u liek oozes, so I put an ooze in your ooze so you can be attacked by gelatinous blobs while being attacked by gelatinous blobs.

Another_Poet
2010-06-07, 02:24 AM
Check the sewer campaign journal link in my signature for stats for my Volts Gels. They're like shocker lizards that are oozes! I believe they're on page 4.

Soon the journal will be up to the part where they meet the mad scientist who made the oozes... mmmm....

There are flamethrower oozes in that thread too, and some very clever tactics my PCs used to defeat a gelatinous cube.

Deth Muncher
2010-06-07, 02:44 AM
There are flamethrower oozes in that thread too, and some very clever tactics my PCs used to defeat a gelatinous cube.

Did they eat a bowl of Jello menacingly at it? I feel that would give a hefty Intimidate bonus versus GCubes. "OHAI LOOK MR. JELLY CUBE, I EAT YOUR SMALL COUSINS FOR DELICIOUS SNACKS. OM NOM GELATIN."

Cicciograna
2010-06-07, 03:32 AM
The dungeon is a temple to some Ooze divinity (maybe Juyblex or Ghaunadour), who hosted many oozes, kept under control by the clerics of the god: unfortunately, after the summoning of some demonic ooze of sort, everything went awry as the demo-ooze engulfed and killed the high cleric and began hunting the other cultists.
As ten demo-ooze is intelligent and capable of spellcasting, it freed and let loose all the oozes in the temple and summoned a host of ghaunadans (Monsters of Faerun) to help her into whatever plan it could have (maybe gather enough lesser demo-oozes to swarm in the countryside). Moreover, the demo-ooze began experimenting with oozes at "hands", trying to breed new oozes which do not have the ordinary weaknesses of normal oozes.

In the meanwhile, some cultists have found shelter in the deeper layers of the dungeon, and now are reorganizing and making plans to gain back control of the temple. They could use the help of a pack of adventurers and give them some support...or they could be completely mad, infected by some brain ooze, or so accustomed to oozes' habits to see anything that moves as potential prey.

Another_Poet
2010-06-07, 03:38 AM
Did they eat a bowl of Jello menacingly at it? I feel that would give a hefty Intimidate bonus versus GCubes. "OHAI LOOK MR. JELLY CUBE, I EAT YOUR SMALL COUSINS FOR DELICIOUS SNACKS. OM NOM GELATIN."

So much worse. They ran from it and ran into another random encounter, the aforementioned fire oozes. These oozes jump onto your face and then burst into a geyser of flame with arc-welder levels of heat. So the PCs got out their shovels and started scooping up the fire oozes and hurling them at the gelatinous cube from across a sewer canal. They souffled my gelatinous cube. It was awesome. Really I should've said they all died from breathing nuked gelatinous cube fumes, but instead I gave them bonus XP.

Jair Barik
2010-06-07, 03:47 AM
Perhaps it could be the base of the Darkness Given Hunger, servant to Jubilex the faceless lord who is creating an army of oozes that under his direction will spread across the land devouring all in a bid to collect souls of an upcoming blood war. Both the Darkness Given Hunger and Jubilex itself are intelligent Oozes coming out at CR18 and 20 respectively. Could be fun as they would make a plausible villain for an ongoing story arc/end of dungeon and it explains why on earth the would be oozes there in the first place. Dungeonscape has the sentry Ooze template that can be used to produce non mindless oozes and MM3 has a number of good oozes (arcane, Summoning and conflaguration all spring to mind).

Drakevarg
2010-06-07, 04:09 AM

I'm very tempted to sig that...

Closak
2010-06-07, 06:05 AM
Sentient Giant Ooze says: I want you inside me, now!

Player: ...That could be taken in so many wrong ways.

DM: ...:smallsigh:

That actually happened once.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-07, 12:09 PM

That has to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time. You've made my day :smallbiggrin:

Zeta Kai
2010-06-07, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the Elemental Plane of Flesh (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3040009).

The Glyphstone
2010-06-07, 12:16 PM
The dungeon itself is an ooze!

It's hard to make the dungeon an ooze, but you can make all the ceilings oozes (Lurkers Above), the floors oozes (Trappers), the walls oozes (Stunjellies), the air inside the passages and rooms oozes (Gelatinous Cube0, and I suppose Mimics for furniture.

jiriku
2010-06-07, 12:27 PM
:smalleek: What Paranoia Fuel! And Nausea Fuel. Or Fetish Fuel if you are very, very odd.

I could link, but...no.

No, definitely not.

On-topic, characters that rely on precision-based damage (rogue, ninja, scout, swashbuckler) are at an extreme disadvantage against oozes. Monks also fare poorly, since they can't use unarmed strikes against the ooze without hurting themselves. If your PC group includes characters who rely on precision-based damage, I'd recommend seeding every encounter with several monsters that are vulnerable to precision-based damage so those characters have something to do. Monstrous vermin usually go well with oozes, as do certain types of outsiders.

It's hard to make the dungeon an ooze, but you can make all the ceilings oozes (Lurkers Above), the floors oozes (Trappers), the walls oozes (Stunjellies), the air inside the passages and rooms oozes (Gelatinous Cube0, and I suppose Mimics for furniture.

Room of Death! (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm) (Scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page to read the relevant section. It's just past the asswere; if you see the bowler and the sheet phantom you've gone too far.)

Froogleyboy
2010-06-07, 12:29 PM
Welcome to the Elemental Plane of Flesh (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3040009).

Now, that's cool, I don't care who you are, that's cool. Kudos!

Deth Muncher
2010-06-07, 04:28 PM
I'm very tempted to sig that...

Do it. I promise you probably won't get cancer from it.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-07, 04:40 PM
Room of Death! (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm) (Scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page to read the relevant section. It's just past the asswere; if you see the bowler and the sheet phantom you've gone too far.)

Well of course, that's where I got the idea from.

Moogleking
2010-06-07, 04:50 PM
Do it. I promise you probably won't get cancer from it.

Don't worry, I have :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2010-06-07, 05:37 PM
Don't worry, I have :smalltongue:

Here, take this too, since you're the first person to quote me in your signature.
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/amidamaru42/AWESUMBADJ.jpg

It's so bad it's AWESUM.

Zaq
2010-06-07, 09:24 PM
I ran the Dungeon-o'-Oozes once. The thing about Oozes is that aside from the invisible (or nearly so) ones like the Gelatinous Cube, they're not very sneaky, not very fast, and don't really do the whole ambush thing. That means that you can often throw Oozes of way higher CR than normal against the party, because they're pretty much guaranteed to get away if things turn sour. (Well, assuming they have a way of un-Engulfing themselves.) It's a sort of training-wheels way of reminding the party that no, they won't always win.

Remember that a lot of Oozes do damage to weapons and items, so be sure that you have a way of dealing with player whining as a result (usually by planning to replace 'em). At the bottom of my dungeon, there was a crafter (an Ironsoul Forgemaster, to be specific, with a little bit of handwaving that let him craft certain wondrous items too) who was going to reward them by replacing/repairing/upgrading all their gear (he had created the oozes but lost control of them, so reducing their population got the party on his good side.)

Overall, I don't think I'd do it again, but it wasn't the worst decision I made in that campaign.

As an addendum, stay the HELL away from the Teratomorph. That thing is NO FUN, for either the players or the GM.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-09, 06:01 PM
As an addendum, stay the HELL away from the Teratomorph. That thing is NO FUN, for either the players or the GM.

What is a Teratomorph?

Cicciograna
2010-06-09, 06:07 PM
What is a Teratomorph?

MM2, Gargantuan Ooze with the ability to bend the planar boundaries in its vicinity, plane shift opponents, cause random spell effects to activate in the area and so on. CR 16, nasty.

Kirgoth
2010-06-09, 10:05 PM
Cleric with oozebound template and ooze domain with partner sorcerer with oozebound template
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Oozebound_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

Controlling several oozes and using these to steal goods, assasinate rivals etc and slowly take control of small city from their sewer headquarters