PDA

View Full Version : Gurps

Talkkno
2010-06-07, 05:25 AM
What books do you need to play exactly? Do just need Characters, or do you need Campaigns also?

Shademan
2010-06-07, 05:36 AM
you need both.
Imean... you COULD prolly play with just characters but I would highly reccomend both

sonofzeal
2010-06-07, 05:39 AM
What books do you need to play exactly? Do just need Characters, or do you need Campaigns also?
"Characters" is roughly like the PHB. You pretty much need it to make characters, and it's got pretty much everything on that front. "Campaigns" has a lot of important rules stuff though, and I'd recommend having both at first. Once you're familiar with the system, you can probably get by with just "Characters".

Probably.

To be honest I've only played GURPS a couple times, so... uh... take this with a grain of salt.

Lord Herman
2010-06-07, 05:42 AM
All the stuff you need to make a character is in Characters, but pretty much all of the rules are in Campaigns. A player could do with just Characters, but it's better to have both. The GM should definitely have both books.

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-07, 09:31 AM
You cannot play only with Characters. Somebody in the group definitely needs to have Campaigns, since all conflict resolution rules are in it. I am not exaggerating, literally all conflict resolution rules. However, it is true that only the GM technically needs to have Campaigns.

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-07, 09:42 AM
You cannot play only with Characters. Somebody in the group definitely needs to have Campaigns, since all conflict resolution rules are in it. I am not exaggerating, literally all conflict resolution rules. However, it is true that only the GM technically needs to have Campaigns.

Lies. There are conflict resolution rules in Characters.

Very simple ones that basically only allow you to attack each other with no fancy strategies involved.

dragonfan6490
2010-06-07, 12:06 PM
I play in a GURPS game and only one person in the group has read Campaigns. He's our go-to guy for everything. As long as one person knows what's in Campaigns, you should be good to go.