PDA

View Full Version : RPG Artwork

J.Gellert
2010-06-07, 05:52 AM
I am in the process of writing down all my campaign and houserule stuff, and would like to add some color to it all. However, while the interwebz does seem to have more than enough fantasy art that is free to use or even public domain, everything I've found is really low-res. It looks ok on the monitor, but very blurry on paper.

So do you know of any sites with high-resolution art?

Yora
2010-06-07, 06:01 AM
I assume it's for purely personal use? In that case you could just use anything you find.

Paizo has a lot of their artworks in their Paizo Blog (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog) and most of them are in pretty large resolutions. Also, many of them look awsome.

Shademan
2010-06-07, 06:23 AM
or get someone to draw for you?

J.Gellert
2010-06-07, 06:36 AM
It's for purely personal use, yes. I like Paizo's art, thank you for that link!

Unfortunately among my players (and other friends) I am the best artist... And the most I can do is basic concept drawings. :smalltongue: They are good, because it's exactly what's in my head, but I like color...

Yora
2010-06-07, 07:20 AM
Help yourself. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.typosatz-baeumler.de/fotos/buntstifte.jpg

PersonMan
2010-06-07, 07:22 AM
Help yourself. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, no matter how hard I rub my paper against those, they aren't working! :smallfrown:

J.Gellert
2010-06-07, 07:25 AM
Aaaw, so sweet of you, thanks :smallbiggrin:

Look what I made!
http://www.familycare-nottingham.org.uk/images/drawing.jpg

Shademan
2010-06-07, 08:09 AM
sometimes, concept is all you need. show two or three concepts and let players imagine the rest 8D

Ubercaledor
2010-06-08, 02:43 AM
www.elfwood.com would be your best bet. The terms of use state generally that unless otherwise specified, permission is granted for PRIVATE use, but I'd be safe and send a message to the artist to ask their permission first, and leaving a URL beside any images wouldn't go astray.

Lots of nice HD pics there :P

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-06-08, 03:34 AM
It's for purely personal use, yes. I like Paizo's art, thank you for that link!

Unfortunately among my players (and other friends) I am the best artist... And the most I can do is basic concept drawings. :smalltongue: They are good, because it's exactly what's in my head, but I like color...

My wife is an illustrator - she can draw exactly what I tell her.
If there'd be exposure for her work at the end of the process, she might be up for doing your drawings. PM me if you're interested.

Nero24200
2010-06-08, 05:37 AM
Your best bet is getting the images yourself, or, if you're cgetting images from elsewhere, asking the authors. Online sites tend to show images at a low resolution (usally 72 dots per inch) in order to make the site quick to load.

Print-Quality images though are often much bigger (usally 300 dots per inch), so getting the artist to send you a copy of their work via e-mail rather than selecting it on a site will give you a higher quality image (unless, of course, they've made it purely for web use, in which case it could be saved at a low res).

If you are using Microsoft Picture Viewer, you can find otu a pictures resolution by selecting File -> Properties, then select the More button on the side of the screen. You should then see "Vertical Resolution" and "Horizontal Resolution". If they're about 300 dpi, then its a print image and will work fine. Though you could probably go as low as 200 dpi and get a decent image if there isn't much detail (though not likely in fantasy images).