PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Divine/Arcane Spell Components

Grifthin
2010-06-07, 06:23 AM
Here's a question - how rigidly do you guys enforce the spell components rule ? Do you not allow your wizard to cast a fireball if he's out of bat crap ? Or do you prevent the cleric from casting Augury if they don't have incense ?

senrath
2010-06-07, 06:25 AM
If it costs money, they have to have it. If it doesn't, they have to have either a spell component pouch or Eschew Materials.

Prodan
2010-06-07, 06:25 AM
Unless the characters are at an extended excursion in the wilderness, I assume the spell components are replenished when in town.

RelentlessImp
2010-06-07, 07:36 AM
If it costs money, they have to have it. If it doesn't, they have to have either a spell component pouch or Eschew Materials.

Or similar, like Recaster's Metamorphic Spell (Components).

To quote the Spell Component Pouch description:

Spell Component Pouch

A spellcaster with a spell component pouch is assumed to have all the material components and focuses needed for spellcasting, except for those components that have a specific cost, divine focuses, and focuses that wouldn’t fit in a pouch.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 08:28 AM
All enforcing it would do, would be to place a feat tax on Eschew Materials. That, or push everyone towards Pathfinder Sorcerery/Psionics.

Blackfang108
2010-06-07, 08:49 AM

As my group is rather gamist, we just tick off any expensive materials directly from our gold. Few of us actually cast spells with expensive components, mostly because it's an EXTREMELY low wealth campaign.

Foci, on the other hand, you have to have bought and have on your sheet.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 08:54 AM
Foci, on the other hand, you have to have bought and have on your sheet.

Does that apply to the zero-cost ones as well, such as a forked twig? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/locateobject.htm)

Scipio
2010-06-07, 10:58 AM
Does that apply to the zero-cost ones as well, such as a forked twig? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/locateobject.htm)

From the SRD entry (emphasis mine)

Spell Component Pouch: A spellcaster with a spell component pouch is assumed to have all the material components and focuses needed for spellcasting, except for those components that have a specific cost, divine focuses, and focuses that wouldn’t fit in a pouch.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 11:00 AM
From the SRD entry (emphasis mine)

I know that's how it works RAW, but Blackfang said his group does keep track of foci. I wanted to know if they track all of them or just costly ones.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-07, 12:18 PM
I force players to keep track of important foci. Plane Shift requires items attuned to specific planes, and attaining access to specific planes isn't something I want available without knowing about it ahead of time.