PDA

View Full Version : Summer hobbies

Arkhemedes
2010-06-07, 08:34 AM
I am out of school and I need a hobby. Do you guys/gals have any ideas for a gaming hobby that i can mostly do bymyself and somtimes with a friend that isnt too costly im short on funds. Thankyou in advance
I think this is the right place to post it I am not sure

Kira_the_5th
2010-06-07, 08:47 AM
There's always homebrew/game design. With at least a basic knowledge of the rules (and not even that, if you choose to design a new system), a little imagination, and an internet connection, you can create things at your own pace, and ask around here for help with balance issues. One caveat, though, is that it can be a bit time extensive, (especially the aforementioned designing a new system).

Also, there's always writing. Writing stories can help with making new and interesting characters, settings for games, all sorts of useful things.

Arkhemedes
2010-06-07, 08:49 AM
The stuff i want to do cant be on the compputer tv or video games

hamlet
2010-06-07, 08:58 AM
Get a job.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I have a new found loathing of people who have free time and gripe about not having enough to do. Heck, I'll even pay you if you want to stop by and mow my lawn once a week and pull some weeds so that I don't have to do it at 10:00 at night any more.

EDIT: Seriously, though, I dont' know how old you are or how pertinent this is, but gardening is very rewarding and it's an activity that gets you off your backside and into motion. Even if you live in a city, you can do some stuff with potted plants, window boxes, or roof gardens.

Ormagoden
2010-06-07, 09:14 AM
Alot of local areas have board game clubs if you like that sort of thing. I know a group that uses the dining area in wegman's grocery store once a month.

If you have a camera photography is always an awesome way to pass the time.

Craft stores usually have classes to make stuff from painted plant potters to snowmen made from Styrofoam balls.

Speaking of classes, summer courses at colleges are available too.

If you belong to a school check the summer activity boards.

Your city probably has lots of summer activities you never even knew about. (Although where they might be posted is varied.)

You could make Chainmail

Or join a local LARP for the summer, they're always looking for more goblins.

A job is also a good idea, money is nice.

Arkhemedes
2010-06-07, 09:20 AM
Get a job.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I have a new found loathing of people who have free time and gripe about not having enough to do. Heck, I'll even pay you if you want to stop by and mow my lawn once a week and pull some weeds so that I don't have to do it at 10:00 at night any more.

EDIT: Seriously, though, I dont' know how old you are or how pertinent this is, but gardening is very rewarding and it's an activity that gets you off your backside and into motion. Even if you live in a city, you can do some stuff with potted plants, window boxes, or roof gardens.

I am only 12 and i already mow lawns and do garden work and chores, i just need some things to keep me busy when i dont have anything to do that isnt video games or computer.
Edit: and the reason i want it not to be costly is because i am saving for a car

hamlet
2010-06-07, 09:41 AM
I am only 12 and i already mow lawns and do garden work and chores, i just need some things to keep me busy when i dont have anything to do that isnt video games or computer.
Edit: and the reason i want it not to be costly is because i am saving for a car

Oh God I feel old now.

Final suggestion in addition to the others, read a good book. There are many of them and they are wonderful. And with a library card, they can be entirely free.

Arkhemedes
2010-06-07, 09:56 AM
Haha i read all the time already and have already read the drizzet series and other boks along that nature, my reading level is that oof a 12th grader xD
EDIT: My dad said he might take me golfing though he said it is a good "sport" to learn.