PDA

View Full Version : Expys, Expys, Expys. (3.5 D&D)

Reynard
2010-06-07, 09:28 AM
My RL gaming group has been somewhat... scrambled. First, after a couple of years of 3.5 then 4e, it broke up due to collage, girlfriends/boyfriends etc. Then, another one almost started up with a 1st edition campaign, but that fell through when we could find anywhere we could reasonably use to play in. The I almost persuaded a few people to try Exalted, but that just didn't happen in the end.

And we have come full circle to 3.5. Our old DM has been phoning around, and most of the old people are willing to start up again. There'll be about 3-4 of us (only one person is uncertain about being able to make it.) besides the DM, and he wants to make sure we don't all die horribly, due to being used to a much larger group (6-7, usually. Sometimes it was even 8.).

He's also had an Idea. And this time, it's a forth-wall breaking idea, in that he wants us to try and make characters for the game based on computer games/anime/books/whathaveyou.

It's gestalt, thankfully, and most of the others have already got their Expys ready for the weekend.
One's going for Link from LoZ (Some-sort-of-Elven Warblade//Bard. Yeah, I know, not optimized. But I can't think of another way of doing it.)
Another is trying to make Cohen the Barbarian. (Guess//something-else)
The potential no-show is going to build one of the characters from the Night Watch (the Russian books) by way of Druid//Totemist.

Which leaves me. I'd been having some trouble thinking of a character I want to try and play, then I rediscovered Fullmetal Alchemist. After some thinking, I am completely at a loss at how to go about making Edward Elric, due to 3,5 not really being in the memory banks much any more. How would you try?

Brief ideas: Need some way to get the metal arm and leg. Transmutation school might be a good idea to focus on, but I don't really think Wizard suits the character. Swordsage, since he's good at fighting without magic (beyond turning his arm into a sword/the earth into a polearm), but doesn't wear armour.

Any more/better ideas?

EDIT: Starting level 10.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 09:35 AM
That's a cinch from where I'm sitting. Transmuter/Geometer/Renegade Mastermaker. That covers the transmutation sigils and the automail, easily.

The best part is that RMM only loses 2 CL (and Geometer loses none), so you will still get 9ths. Geometer is 5 levels long, RMM is 10.

You can go Warblade on the other side of the gestalt for Int synergy/BAB/saves/Hit Dice/melee ability, and focus on your Battlefist.

EDIT: RMM is in Magic of Eberron, Geometer is in Complete Arcane.

Reynard
2010-06-07, 09:50 AM
Won't the lack of AC become a problem?

And forgot to mention, starting at level 10.

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-07, 09:57 AM
Won't the lack of AC become a problem?

And forgot to mention, starting at level 10.

If you go with the abovementioned route, you have a number of ways to significantly increase your AC if its a worry and you'll have Warblade on one side of your gestalt, which has great defensive counters that you can ready and re-ready with swift actions during full attacks.

IE: No, you'll manage.

Reynard
2010-06-07, 10:07 AM
Is the Immediate Magic ACF (PHB2) worth losing the familiar for? The wording is a bit useless, but 3-to-4+ free uses per day of transmutations that ignore AMF sounds lovely.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 10:09 AM
Is the Immediate Magic ACF (PHB2) worth losing the familiar for? The wording is a bit useless, but 3-to-4+ free uses per day of transmutations that ignore AMF sounds lovely.

Yes, especially since the Obtain Familiar feat will give you your familiar back if you really want it.

In fact, it's actually better than keeping the starting familiar, because the one from the feat stacks with all your arcane caster levels (including PrCs), while the base familiar only stacks with your actual wizard levels.

In short: always ditch your familiar at first, even if you want one.

Reynard
2010-06-07, 10:15 AM
Huh, cool.

Is there and errata for that particular ACF that clears up the crappy wording?

Also, the Link player has been asking me if there's a better way than Warblade//Bard. They're focusing on Iron Heart (for Spin Attack) and Tiger Claw (Jump Attack), and the Bard is just for the Ocarina.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 10:19 AM
Is there and errata for that particular ACF that clears up the crappy wording?

You mean that it is called both an SLA and an Ex? Welcome to WotC editing :smalltongue:

For the Link player... Bards aren't my forte (particularly martial/musical ones) so someone else can field that.

Reynard
2010-06-07, 10:24 AM
Level: 1st.
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain a familiar.
Benefit: You gain a spell-like ability that reflects your chosen school of magic. Activating this ability is an immediate action, and you can use this spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to your Intelligence bonus (minimum
1). Its equivalent spell level is equal to one-half your wizard level (minimum 1st), and the caster level is your wizard level.
The save DC (if any) is equal to 10 + 1/2 your wizard level + your Int modifier.
This is an extraordinary ability.
You can’t activate this ability in response to an attack that you aren’t aware of. For instance, if an invisible rogue strikes at you, you can’t activate urgent shield to gain a bonus to your AC against the attack. All effects last until the start of your next turn unless otherwise noted.

Yeah, that confused me too. But mostly, I'd like to know what the hell it actually does. Is the SLA/Ex just 'Transmutation', or is there some list of SLAs in a DMG somewhere I don't know about?

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-07, 10:24 AM
Umm, honestly, warblade and bard can be a strong combination if he chooses to incorporate some White Raven Tactics into the build.

He could tack on some paladin levels via Harmonious Knight substitution levels to get perform and some low-end bardic music, or possibly marshall (I think there's an ACF that adds perform and bardic music to their abilities).

Warblade will give him what he wants for link and there's a billion ways to get perform (ocarina) on his list one way or another. Does he want the bard's abilities or does he really just want to play an ocarina?

EDIT: In PHB2, right after the basic text for that ACF, you can see the text for every single different school's specific ACF-tied ability. Keep reading!

TimeWizard
2010-06-07, 10:28 AM
If unarmored is really important to you, then you could go two ways. One, mechanically, is to play a warforged and take the body feats (Ebberon) and roleplay a human. Or, since you gestalt you could take a one level dip in Monk (PHB) and pick up Kung Fu Genius (Oriental Adventures), which lets you use Intelligence to AC instead of Wisdom, which would synergize well with Warblade (Tome of Battle).

Reynard
2010-06-07, 10:30 AM
Honestly, no real idea. I'll ask the player what they're really after, but I think some sort of amalgam of all of the Links, ever. They'll need UMD for sure, and a lot of Links main plot items are musical instruments, which might be where Bard came from. As for the others (Iron Boots, Golden Gauntlets, Mirror Shield, etc) they're mostly fairly standard, if powerful, magic items.

EDIT: I might dip into Monk at some point on the warblade side for the bonus AC, yeah. The DM tends to ignore alignment restrictions if you can justify it.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 10:47 AM
Yeah, that confused me too. But mostly, I'd like to know what the hell it actually does. Is the SLA/Ex just 'Transmutation', or is there some list of SLAs in a DMG somewhere I don't know about?

As Atwas pointed out, you didn't read far enough - each school of magic gets a different "Immediate Magic" ability.

The Transmutation ability gives you is the ability to give yourself either a fly speed, swim speed or climb speed as an immediate action.

Reynard
2010-06-07, 10:48 AM
As Atwas pointed out, you didn't read far enough - each school of magic gets a different "Immediate Magic" ability.

The Transmutation ability gives you is the ability to give yourself either a fly speed, swim speed or climb speed as an immediate action.

Okay, that's pretty awesome. The full-page piece of artwork made me think the chapter was over.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 10:59 AM
Conjuration gets the best one, but most of them are pretty good :smallbiggrin:

I'm not sure being able to fly or swim will fit "Edward Elric", but he seems pretty good at climbing. Maybe you could fluff the fly one as a really high jump? He sure as hell does those.

Reynard
2010-06-07, 11:10 AM
Fly could work as big jumps, yeah.

I'm just browsing through the spells I'll be starting with. I think I'm going to keep Transmute Rock-to-Mud/Mud-to-Rock prepared at all times, for the lols.

And, while it may screw over the optimization, I'm going to avoid using spells to transform living creatures. Necromancy and Conjuration are my banned schools, also for fluff reasons.

Prime32
2010-06-07, 11:18 AM
For Ed, there are spells which make a hand emerge from the ground to grab people (earthen grasp/stony grasp), but they're pretty weak.

Honestly, no real idea. I'll ask the player what they're really after, but I think some sort of amalgam of all of the Links, ever. They'll need UMD for sure, and a lot of Links main plot items are musical instruments, which might be where Bard came from. As for the others (Iron Boots, Golden Gauntlets, Mirror Shield, etc) they're mostly fairly standard, if powerful, magic items.Link always has a lot of magic items. He doesn't have the ability to inspire courage, etc. - typically the instruments are magical. Artificer is the "lots of magic items" class (or you could just take Mercantile Background). Factotum is the "decently skilled at everything" class (which can pick you up Perform).

Don't forget two levels of paladin, or preferably prestige paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) (combined with a cloistered cleric dip). It lets you wield holy swords and call Epona. Don't take levels in arcane archer unless you want to nerf yourself - get a +1 fiery surge icy surge holy surge bow instead.

Link definitely needs some ToB material in his build as well, particularly Iron Heart and Tiger Claw. Warblade will get you both, and the Int focus synergises with factotum. Eternal Blade might work, with Navi as the spirit guide.

Handbooks
Tome of Battle for Dummies (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=357.0)
Factotum Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0)
Dipping cleric 1 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773)
Artificer (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0)

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 12:15 PM
For Ed, there are spells which make a hand emerge from the ground to grab people (earthen grasp/stony grasp), but they're pretty weak.

I was going to say that he could fluff the Bigby's line as coming out of the ground - they are a lot more useful than the spells that actually do this.

You'll want to focus mostly on self-buffs and combat to be Ed though.

Reynard
2010-06-07, 12:47 PM
Can Fabricate make masterwork-quality weapons if I pass the required check by a wide enough margin?

And, based on a gentleman's agreement, the DM has allowed me to tweak the entry requirements for Geomancer so I can start it at level 5, rather than 6. which is nice, as it lets me start the game with only one level to go before I'll have all of his major defining abilities. And based on existing houserules, Swordsage counts as a Monk with regards to feats, which makes me think a 2 level dip into it on the Warblade side would be worthwhile, or maybe even just taking it instead of Warblade.

Prime32
2010-06-07, 01:02 PM
And based on existing houserules, Swordsage counts as a Monk with regards to feats, which makes me think a 2 level dip into it on the Warblade side would be worthwhile, or maybe even just taking it instead of Warblade.Monk is still good as a 2-level dip, since you get a bunch of bonus feats and Evasion. And there's always Tashalatora.

Eldariel
2010-06-07, 01:23 PM
For Link, you could fit the whole Bard/Warblade on one side leaving the second side open for whatever; Song of the White Raven and optimized Inspire Courage should have you covered. (Mystic) Ranger [with or without Sword of the Arcane Order], Rogue, Scout, Barbarian, etc. all present stuff that could fit Link quite well (you definitely want Use Magic Device).

Ask in more detail if interested.

Fouredged Sword
2010-06-07, 02:13 PM
If you go monk consider the focused attack option rather than the flurry of blows. One attack that deals double damage works more twards the warblade strengths than a flurry. I can just picture a full round - double damage - emerald razor touch attack - with a longsword. It's like being able to dramaticly call a crit.

You will have to talk to your DM or take a feat that allows you to count a weapon as a monk weapon though. Still, it's cool.

It would also take a careful reading and a talk with your DM about if you can use focused attack with manuvers like you can with some other effects that effect your attack, like power attack.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 02:18 PM
Can Fabricate make masterwork-quality weapons if I pass the required check by a wide enough margin?

I don't see why not - Fabricate seems to imply it can create items with exceptional workmanship and even special materials, provided it has enough to work with.

And, based on a gentleman's agreement, the DM has allowed me to tweak the entry requirements for Geomancer so I can start it at level 5, rather than 6. which is nice, as it lets me start the game with only one level to go before I'll have all of his major defining abilities.

I really hope you meant Geometer there, as Geomancer is a colossal trap. :smalltongue:

And based on existing houserules, Swordsage counts as a Monk with regards to feats, which makes me think a 2 level dip into it on the Warblade side would be worthwhile, or maybe even just taking it instead of Warblade.

The trouble with Swordsage is twofold:

1) It has no Int-synergy, whereas with Monk you can grab Carmendine/Kung-Fu Genius and toss Wis. (Ed isn't all that wise anyway :smallwink:)

2) Even if you get the Swordsage bonus to apply to Int instead somehow, it applies in Light armor, not unarmored. Meaning you will have ACF on your Transmuter side, which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place.

Reynard
2010-06-07, 02:35 PM
The trouble with Swordsage is twofold:

1) It has no Int-synergy, whereas with Monk you can grab Carmendine/Kung-Fu Genius and toss Wis. (Ed isn't all that wise anyway :smallwink:)
That's what I meant when I said that it counts as Monk for feats. I could dip Swordsage for some boosts and Wis to AC, and take one of those Monk-only feats that changes Wis to Int.

2) Even if you get the Swordsage bonus to apply to Int instead somehow, it applies in Light armor, not unarmored. Meaning you will have ACF on your Transmuter side, which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place.
My DM is reasonable, as is most of the group, and we tend to look over silly bits of badly written rules like that. Swordsage Wis to AC counts when wearing either Light armour or no armour.

@ Fouredged Sword: Where's focused attack?

@ Eladriel: Link isn't really a leader. The way he tends to work with people is by throwing them at switches or controlling their mind (in Wind Waker). Iron Heart/Tiger Claw-focused Warblade//Factotum sounds most like him, since in some games he does get minor magic powers. I'll talk to his player about it.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 02:45 PM
If your DM is indeed willing to alter Swordsage for you then I of course have no objections with taking it over Monk.

And Factotum fits Link for the same reason it fits Mario - they pull whatever power they need to solve the plot out of their posteriors :smalltongue:

Reynard
2010-06-07, 02:57 PM
If your DM is indeed willing to alter Swordsage for you then I of course have no objections with taking it over Monk.

We've got a set of Houserules that nearly every game we've played has used (More get added on, it's rare for any to be removed), and there are a few for Tome of Battle, including a few variants for each of the main classes. It became like a list of ACFs, but it was your choice what you lost in exchange for them.

The big folder of homebrew stuff is in the DMs possession ATM, but I remember the 'count's as monk' thing didn't require losing anything, it just came up when we tried to standardize Unarmed Swordsage for our group.

Prime32
2010-06-07, 03:08 PM
I really hope you meant Geometer there, as Geomancer is a colossal trap. :smalltongue:If you put all the boosts into the arcane side, and take Precocious Apprentice (http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Precocious_Apprentice), Southern Magician (http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Southern_Magician) and a level of (cloistered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric)) cleric it can be pretty good.

You'll be meeting the divine casting requirements with Southern Magician - the cleric dip is just to provide a source for Spell Versatility.

Sorcerer 2/Cloistered cleric 1/Geomancer 10

Sorcerer was chosen over wizard to provide Charisma SAD - Spell Versatility lets you apply Divine Metamagic to your sorcerer spells.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 03:30 PM
The fact that you need Southern Magician to make a PrC worth it says a lot about that PrC.

In any case, Geomancer doesn't fit FMA at all. :smallyuk:

T.G. Oskar
2010-06-07, 06:02 PM
@Ed Elric: Supporting the idea of Transmuter, Geomancer and Renegade Mastermaker, coupled with Monk (or UA Swordsage) dipping for extra goodness. Given that Ed's impressively good with unarmed combat, and has certain strong moves. I'd go Monk 2 (for easy access to Evasion)/Transmuter/Geomancer on one side, and perhaps Swordsage (leapfrogging on the last one to get better maneuvers)/Artificer/Renegade Mastermaker on the other side. The Artificer addition is to provide boosts to Ed's automail, while Transmuter is his general Alchemy. Obviously, with Transmutation as favored school, Enchantment and perhaps Illusion/Evocation should be out of the question. By no means deny Necromancy, though; flavor dictates that Necromancy cannot be denied.

Bonus points if your DM allows flaws and you can count as a Small character. Make sure to roleplay well when someone points how small Ed is. As for maneuvers he might favor: Setting Sun, full stop. Maybe some Shadow Hand and Diamond Mind (with that high Concentration you're expected to have, you can use it for the maneuvers and to fight defensively).

@Link: Warblade, Factotum and Ranger. I don't think he needs anything else.

Link's musical instruments are usually magical instruments by itself. The Whistle (from LoZ) is a teleportation item and also prevents oozes from splitting; the Ocarina of Time is pretty powerful on its own, but usually it serves as a teleporter. The Conductor's Baton, on the other hand, is mostly used as a Control Winds item. Those are...about three musical instruments that could favor Bard; however, his catch is the insane amount of magic items on his disposal.

Warblade covers his combat tactics. Tumble covers his rolling, Adamantine Hurricane covers his Whirling Blade, and you can figure out most of the rest from LoZ: Twilight Princess. However, part of his training is mostly on archery, and archery is most of what he needs.

I'm a bit divided on Mystic Ranger vs. spell-less Ranger. Mystic Ranger would be the path taken by the Link in LoZ: The Adventure of Link, while the spell-less Ranger is the path he usually chooses. Whenever he uses some magic, it's usually wands (Fire Rod, Ice Rod), medallions (Ether, Bombos, Quake), wondrous items (Magic Powder), or crystals (Din's Fire, Farore's Wind, Nayru's Love). Factotum can reliably mimic that with loads of UMD and a few chosen spells. Spell-less Ranger, on the other hand (and not the CW spell-less Ranger, the CChamp spell-less Ranger that grants more feats) keeps the Archery path mostly complete (or at least fast enough to get Rapid Shot).

I'd go against a few levels in Paladin. Master Sword =/= Holy Avenger, and Epona isn't much of a special mount (and even then, Cavalier is almost better than Paladin in that regard, considering he rarely fights mounted and he mostly does mounted archery). You can use the Ocarina to summon your special mount far more reliably than a 1/day Summon Mount ability.

The core of Link is his magical items. EWP: Boomerang coupled with a +1 Stunning Surge boomerang covers his Magical Boomerang, a separate Bag of Holding (bonus points if it's made of a Dodongo's stomach) for the Bombs, a quiver of Ehlonna (or quiver of plenty, for the non-IP version) for the arrows (normal, silvered, +1 fire, +1 ice and +1 holy silvered), a Rod of Chain (or a custom-made rod) for the Hookshot covers Link's most important items. Boots of Springing and Striding with the Boots of Leaping enhancement make for the Pegasus Boots and Steadfast Boots make up for the Iron Boots. During recent games, he has been shown to reliably wear a Chain Shirt, so a Mithral Chain Shirt can be used as defense, coupled with using the Torso for the tunics (at least one Red Tunic with fire resistance up the wazoo and resistance to heat and suffocation, and a Blue Tunic that provides bonuses to Swim and water breathing). A Heavy Steel Shield for starters, and then a specialized shield for the Mirror Shield covers his shields. Evidently, he'll have to have the Master Sword as an artifact, but that doesn't imply he can't get other swords (and at least one two-handed sword, if recent trends indicate so). At least one magical instrument (the Ocarina) for his musical needs, at least 4 potions (always with Cure Critical Wounds, and the vials are unbreakable so they can be refilled) should reliably cover the rest. The DM then should figure out which other magic items would be useful for dungeons, given that every game has loads of different magical items. The (Magic/Megaton) Hammer and the Cane of Somaria are often magic items that make repeat appearances, if it helps.

One final thing: if this seems like a LOT, it's because Link reliably breaks WBL every single time. If you really need proof that magic items break the game, look no further than Link (and even then, he always goes for the specialized items, never for the true utility stuff).

Reynard
2010-06-07, 06:32 PM
Wow, massive post.
@Ed Elric: Supporting the idea of Transmuter, Geomancer and Renegade Mastermaker, coupled with Monk (or UA Swordsage) dipping for extra goodness. Given that Ed's impressively good with unarmed combat, and has certain strong moves. I'd go Monk 2 (for easy access to Evasion)/Transmuter/Geomancer on one side, and perhaps Swordsage (leapfrogging on the last one to get better maneuvers)/Artificer/Renegade Mastermaker on the other side. The Artificer addition is to provide boosts to Ed's automail, while Transmuter is his general Alchemy.Makes sense, although it's really Winry who should be the Artificer. But alas, she's not a character in this game, baring an epic diplomacy check.
Obviously, with Transmutation as favored school, Enchantment and perhaps Illusion/Evocation should be out of the question. By no means deny Necromancy, though; flavor dictates that Necromancy cannot be denied.Point taken there. Just avoid necromancy like hell until Philosopher's Stone is acquired, I suppose.
Bonus points if your DM allows flaws and you can count as a Small character. Make sure to roleplay well when someone points how small Ed is.Hah, yeah. I was considering taking Halfling if Flaws were banned. Fortunately, we're allowed two.
@Link: Warblade, Factotum and Ranger. I don't think he needs anything else.

Link's musical instruments are usually magical instruments by itself. The Whistle (from LoZ) is a teleportation item and also prevents oozes from splitting; the Ocarina of Time is pretty powerful on its own, but usually it serves as a teleporter. The Conductor's Baton, on the other hand, is mostly used as a Control Winds item. Those are...about three musical instruments that could favor Bard; however, his catch is the insane amount of magic items on his disposal. Of all of us, I think Link is the one who'll get the most out of our WBL. The Druid//Totemist won't need to spend theirs on much, I might need a few scrolls and +int items but Artificer/Transmuter will help with the rest, and as for Cohen, well, yeah.
Warblade covers his combat tactics. Tumble covers his rolling, Adamantine Hurricane covers his Whirling Blade, and you can figure out most of the rest from LoZ: Twilight Princess. However, part of his training is mostly on archery, and archery is most of what he needs. There's also Tiger Claw, mostly for the leap attack. He'll also need a magic bow that can switch between fire, ice, and normal arrows, eventually firing holy ones as well.
I'm a bit divided on Mystic Ranger vs. spell-less Ranger. Mystic Ranger would be the path taken by the Link in LoZ: The Adventure of Link, while the spell-less Ranger is the path he usually chooses. Whenever he uses some magic, it's usually wands (Fire Rod, Ice Rod), medallions (Ether, Bombos, Quake), wondrous items (Magic Powder), or crystals (Din's Fire, Farore's Wind, Nayru's Love). Factotum can reliably mimic that with loads of UMD and a few chosen spells. Spell-less Ranger, on the other hand (and not the CW spell-less Ranger, the CChamp spell-less Ranger that grants more feats) keeps the Archery path mostly complete (or at least fast enough to get Rapid Shot). There's also the Golden Gauntlets. Which I think will become +X to Str checks to lift or push/pull something, rather than a plain bonus to Str, since they didn't do anything in combat.
I'd go against a few levels in Paladin. Master Sword =/= Holy Avenger, and Epona isn't much of a special mount (and even then, Cavalier is almost better than Paladin in that regard, considering he rarely fights mounted and he mostly does mounted archery). You can use the Ocarina to summon your special mount far more reliably than a 1/day Summon Mount ability. Since Epona is basically useless in most of the games, but iconic, I think Link will just buy a horse and get another magic item that lets him call it from anywhere. Also, as of TP, there's the also useless hawk.
The core of Link is his magical items. EWP: Boomerang coupled with a +1 Stunning Surge boomerang covers his Magical Boomerang,Is there an enchantment anywhere that would let it bring small items back?
a separate Bag of Holding (bonus points if it's made of a Dodongo's stomach) for the Bombs, a quiver of Ehlonna (or quiver of plenty, for the non-IP version) for the arrows (normal, silvered, +1 fire, +1 ice and +1 holy silvered), I'd dispute the plain silvered, and just stick with the four.
a Rod of Chain (or a custom-made rod) for the Hookshot covers Link's most important items. Boots of Springing and Striding with the Boots of Leaping enhancement make for the Pegasus Boots and Steadfast Boots make up for the Iron Boots. During recent games, he has been shown to reliably wear a Chain Shirt, so a Mithral Chain Shirt can be used as defense, coupled with using the Torso for the tunics (at least one Red Tunic with fire resistance up the wazoo and resistance to heat and suffocation, and a Blue Tunic that provides bonuses to Swim and water breathing). Agreed.
A Heavy Steel Shield for starters, and then a specialized shield for the Mirror Shield covers his shields. We were considering giving it some sort of enchantment to reflect spells, or failing that just SR.
Evidently, he'll have to have the Master Sword as an artifact, but that doesn't imply he can't get other swords (and at least one two-handed sword, if recent trends indicate so).Gogo Biggoron Sword. IIRC, didn't he need the Gauntlets to use it properly? Maybe make it Large, and put some bonus feat on the gauntlets.
At least one magical instrument (the Ocarina) for his musical needs, at least 4 potions (always with Cure Critical Wounds, and the vials are unbreakable so they can be refilled) should reliably cover the rest. The DM then should figure out which other magic items would be useful for dungeons, given that every game has loads of different magical items. The (Magic/Megaton) Hammer and the Cane of Somaria are often magic items that make repeat appearances, if it helps. For the hammer, considering it's mostly used for breaking down doors/heavy switches, something that could ignore hardness would be a start.

Prime32
2010-06-07, 06:42 PM
Have you considered having Ed take Leadership to get a warforged cohort?

Hah, yeah. I was considering taking Halfling if Flaws were banned. Fortunately, we're allowed two. There's always Strongheart Halfling, a subrace which gets the human bonus feat.

Since Epona is basically useless in most of the games, but iconic, I think Link will just buy a horse and get another magic item that lets him call it from anywhere. Also, as of TP, there's the also useless hawk.Just get some item of at-will mount. For the hawk, animal messenger or charm animal.

Is there an enchantment anywhere that would let it bring small items back?I think I've seen a spell which does it.

Gogo Biggoron Sword. IIRC, didn't he need the Gauntlets to use it properly? Maybe make it Large, and put some bonus feat on the gauntlets.No he didn't.

For the hammer, considering it's mostly used for breaking down doors/heavy switches, something that could ignore hardness would be a start.+1 Adamantine Goliath greathammer (of dragon bane?). He doesn't need to be proficient with it.

Optimystik
2010-06-07, 08:45 PM
@Ed Elric: Supporting the idea of Transmuter, Geomancer and Renegade Mastermaker, coupled with Monk (or UA Swordsage) dipping for extra goodness.

Just to reiterate - Geometer is the class that gives the transmutation circles.

Also, Factotum//Ranger for Link is quite solid.

Have you considered having Ed take Leadership to get a warforged cohort?

Ooh, I like this idea. He could then go into Runesmith or Spellcarved Soldier.

There's always Strongheart Halfling, a subrace which gets the human bonus feat.

No, I think he meant he wanted flaws so he could be mechanically short, not because he wanted more feats.

T.G. Oskar
2010-06-07, 11:33 PM
Just to reiterate - Geometer is the class that gives the transmutation circles.

AGH! True. I actually like Geometer: I feel it's a well-done prestige class, which introduces a different method of spellcasting and reinforces glyphs, while neither strengthening nor weakening the spellcaster's power. It makes a BBB hold 500 spells of any kind without trouble, and normal spellbooks hold around 200 spells so it's a strong benefit.

Geomancer, of course, is the Final Fantasy class that uses weird magic depending on the tile you're stepping. So I find speaking about a Final Fantasy class in D&D a bit odd. I mean, I know that pages 42, 43 and 44 of the Complete Divine are missing, as well as parts of page 41 and half of page 45. Was there something in between Evangelist and Holy Liberator that the devs decided to remove or something? You know, like some people claim that Complete Psionic does not exist?

No, I think he meant he wanted flaws so he could be mechanically short, not because he wanted more feats.

Then again, playing a Strongheart Halfling isn't a bad idea after all. Indeed, the idea is to create a flaw in which you are one size category smaller, but only the penalties apply. Thus, Ed would be considered a Small person for purposes of damage, weapons that could use, and so on, but not for bonuses to AC. That way, he could get an extra feat which he could use in anything else.

Coupled with this flaw (http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Short_Temper), it would make for a definite Ed expy.

Reynard
2010-06-14, 07:20 PM
Fun game was fun.

We started in a- well, guess.*

We all got there through various methods, to solve a problem in the very top of the city, something was messing with all the elementals in the area, causing them to attack, well, everything. Each other, random dudes (Us), things that were blue, turnips, etc.

Link and Cohen tried to gather information the traditional way, that is, they walked around accosting the populous until rolling high enough on the Gather Info check. Hilarity ensued, as a decrepit barbarian with teeth made of diamond, and a mute, can only ask earth elementals so many questions.

So I got the test out Shape Stone, and made some pretty, and vaguely sentient, sculptures. It didn't solve the problem of 'Oh god Link is being stood on a lot', but it did mean that instead of three angry elementals doing the stamping, it was thee angry elementals shaped like a rabbit, a pigeon, and a ferret.

So wossname from Night Watch turned into a bear and started hugging things, I turned a great deal of the street into mud, and the beat-sticks were saved. Many people rejoiced. We went to the tallest tower in the city to see what we could see, and then Cohen's mouth exploded. Just flat out exploded. And we were then attacked by a swarm of roughly 32 miniature diamond elementals. Link got to spin attack and destroyed most of them, but now I need to make a pair of dentures for Cohen so he can actually eat something. It wasn't a long session, and the only RP I got do really was using Science(!)-y words and playing around with the terrain. Next week we might actually find out what the hell, but we'll see.

But yes, the build is fun, and it's nice to use a caster. I usually don't because I just don't like the wizards lack of fluff, and I hate their brokenness, but yeah. Also, I think I'm going to be getting some shiny elemental-based transmutations at some point next session.

*A city inside a gigantonormassive earth elemental. Oh, and the inhabitants were all it's... babies, I guess.