PDA

View Full Version : Melee at range?

Lord Nikodemus
2010-06-07, 10:26 AM
I tried searching the forums, but with such generic terms, I couldn't think of anything specific enough.

Situation: I have an unarmed melee character, and I was wondering if there was an item that would allow me to make unarmed attacks at range?

Person_Man
2010-06-07, 10:28 AM
Increasing Size, Effective Size, Unarmed Damage, Reach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777)

That list should comprehensively answer your question.

tonberrian
2010-06-07, 10:30 AM
You could also find a way to enchant your fists with Throwing and take Bloodstorm Blade.

There's also a spell - Bloodwind in the Spell Compendium, I think - that allows you to make unarmed attacks at range.

Choco
2010-06-07, 10:36 AM
You could also find a way to enchant your fists with Throwing and take Bloodstorm Blade.

Necklace of Natural Attacks, from Savage Species, will allow this.

That would be some damn funny fluff to make up, as to how you can punch people from 50 feet away.

Myshlaevsky
2010-06-07, 10:39 AM

That would be some damn funny fluff to make up, as to how you can punch people from 50 feet away.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab273/Kologotov/Dhalsim.jpg
"Yoga Spear!"

Mando Knight
2010-06-07, 10:41 AM
Hadoken!
Hadoken!
Hadoken!

SHORYUKEN!

Greenish
2010-06-07, 10:42 AM
That would be some damn funny fluff to make up, as to how you can punch people from 50 feet away.Ki means never having to actually explain anything.

tonberrian
2010-06-07, 10:44 AM

My favorite is for Warforged - ROCKETTO PAUNCH! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDLlGYsKC80&feature=related)

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-06-07, 10:45 AM
I tried searching the forums, but with such generic terms, I couldn't think of anything specific enough.

Situation: I have an unarmed melee character, and I was wondering if there was an item that would allow me to make unarmed attacks at range?
(Pssst: Red text is for moderators.)
Do you mean having reach with unarmed attacks, or actually magically attacking at range with your fists?

If the latter, you could make +1 gauntlets of far punches: 3 times per day, for 3 minutes at a time, your attacks with the gauntlets have a maximum range of 120 ft.
(Faint necromancy, CL 5th, Craft Magic Arms andArmour, Spectral hand, price +1 bonus)

Choco
2010-06-07, 10:46 AM
Ki means never having to actually explain anything.

What happens when you "throw" your punch at a guy who has the feats/abilities that allow him to catch (as opposed to just deflect) arrows/thrown weapons?

EDIT: Oh and don't forget to add the Returning property in addition to Thrown, else you wont get your fists back :smallbiggrin:

NEO|Phyte
2010-06-07, 10:48 AM
EDIT: Oh and don't forget to add the Returning property in addition to Thrown, else you wont get your fists back :smallbiggrin:
That's what the levels in Bloodstorm Blade are for. Better than Returning, even, it comes back after the attack resolves (meaning full attacks), rather than at the start of your next turn. As an (Ex) ability, no less.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-07, 10:59 AM
I just wanted to point out that your whole body goes into unarmed attacks. That includes head butts.

Greenish
2010-06-07, 11:01 AM
What happens when you "throw" your punch at a guy who has the feats/abilities that allow him to catch (as opposed to just deflect) arrows/thrown weapons?Ki. Ki happens. Obviously.

Ossian
2010-06-07, 11:04 AM
Hadoken / Kamehameha / Saint Seya stuff can be done with some FEAT in Oriental Adventures. Nothing earth shattering, and very costly in terms of skills and feats, but if that is what you want sure go ahead.

In complete arcane there is a PrClass that mixes sorcerer and monk, for energy based "falcon punches".

Lord Nikodemus
2010-06-07, 11:08 AM
Wow. I have to head to class, but AWESOME RESPONSES!

I did mean to do it magically.

I'm a Gestalt, Feral Mineral Warrior Giant (arcana evolved).

Key Points:
1 Level in Soul Eater for enervation punching.
1 Level in Initiate of Shattered Steel + Ring of Mighty Wallop = Colossal Fists.

So, punching at range with colossal fists. Mmmmmhmm.

Thanks again fellas!

Marillion
2010-06-07, 11:09 AM
There was a feat from the Dragon Compendium called Ring the Golden Bell. It allows you to use a Stunning Fist attempt to attack at range, though I don't have the actual feat on hand.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-07, 11:10 AM
I just wanted to point out that your whole body goes into unarmed attacks. That includes head butts.
AS others have pointed out, the fluff is just weird.:smalltongue:

Prime32
2010-06-07, 11:14 AM
There was a feat from the Dragon Compendium called Ring the Golden Bell. It allows you to use a Stunning Fist attempt to attack at range, though I don't have the actual feat on hand.Yes you do. (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Ring_the_Golden_Bell)

Eloel
2010-06-07, 11:25 AM
AS others have pointed out, the fluff is just weird.:smalltongue:

Monk/Kensai. Do NOT add Returning, only Throwing. Throw yourself at enemies.

Zeful
2010-06-07, 11:40 AM

Flaming Returning Throwing unarmed attacks. You too can be Dullahan and throw your flaming head at people.

2xMachina
2010-06-07, 11:49 AM

Is that a new traveling method?

Prime32
2010-06-07, 11:55 AM
Is that a new traveling method?*cough* Distant Shot (http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Distant_Shot) *cough*

Be a warforged. The Andromeda galaxy is in your line of sight.

tonberrian
2010-06-07, 12:00 PM
*cough* Distant Shot (http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Distant_Shot) *cough*

Be a warforged. The Andromeda galaxy is in your line of sight.

But thanks to the scaling on the DC for spot checks, you don't know it's there, so you can't attack it.

Mind you, with the Bloodstorm Blade ability, if you could find some way to see it, you could punch it and have your fist go faster than light. Wierd, huh?

Mando Knight
2010-06-07, 12:05 PM
But thanks to the scaling on the DC for spot checks, you don't know it's there, so you can't attack it.
Monks get Spot as a class skill and like decent Wis scores. I expect that if this silly build flies, then the user could go flying around half a kilometer with a single punch.

Edit: Oh, wait. Andromeda. Right. You can't even see the Sun by Spot checks, how can you see Andromeda? :smalltongue:

Lord Nikodemus
2010-06-09, 10:44 AM
I'm going to go with Choco's suggestion of the Necklace. Easiest to get to, and I like the flavor.

Makes me think of Kung Fu Hustle. Instead of giant palm strikes, there will be giant Palm/Fist/Elbow/Knee/Head strikes!

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-09, 10:56 AM
Throwing and distance on unarmed strikes. Essentially 100' teleportation with a single attack. Flurry for insane speeds.

To wit: attacking a space is against an AC of 5. If you miss, you still wind up in an adjacent space.

This might actually make monks useful, if vaguely.

It makes swordsages more so, though.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-09, 11:00 AM
Or maybe you've been cursed by an evil wizard to have only a head, hands, torso and feet, with no limbs in between them.

http://www.chairemm.polymtl.ca/etudiantes/melanie_nathalie/genie-info/images/rayman.jpg

Tengu_temp
2010-06-09, 11:01 AM

You can also be this guy.
http://c.wrzuta.pl/wi10786/6f227f90000a556747bc8174/0/rayman

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-09, 11:03 AM
Ironically, you guys seem to have used the exact same picture.

Also, add the Far Shot feat. 200' per attack.

Due to flurry, this is one option that monks do better than unarmed swordsages.

2xMachina
2010-06-09, 11:35 AM
Does that give you 200' fly speed?

I attack the square 200' away with my whole body!

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-09, 12:06 PM

I attack the square 200' away with my whole body!Teleportation to line-of-effect, essentially.

Cog
2010-06-09, 12:17 PM
200' per attack. Remember to pick up Snap Kick!

Cursedblessing
2010-06-09, 01:42 PM
I was just reading the srd entry for throwing melee weapons. By raw you already can without any funky stuff.

check it out

Thrown WeaponsDaggers, clubs, shortspears, spears, darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers, tridents, shuriken, and nets are thrown weapons. The wielder applies his or her Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons). It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a –4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.

Thurbane
2010-06-09, 10:22 PM
There's also a spell - Bloodwind in the Spell Compendium, I think - that allows you to make unarmed attacks at range.
I always wondered about a way to Persist and abuse this one...any suggestions?

PId6
2010-06-09, 10:25 PM
Wouldn't you have like 50% chance of breaking yourself if you miss? :smalleek:

I always wondered about a way to Persist and abuse this one...any suggestions?
Ocular Spell - turns it into a ray with a fixed range for +2. Apply Persist and stir well.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-09, 10:43 PM
Wouldn't you have like 50% chance of breaking yourself if you miss? :smalleek:That's only for ammunition; thrown weapons generally don't have a break-chance.

PId6
2010-06-09, 10:51 PM
That's only for ammunition; thrown weapons generally don't have a break-chance.
New idea: a grappler that shoots enemies from bows. Somehow.

Temotei
2010-06-09, 10:52 PM
I'm surprised there hasn't been a Rayman reference, picture, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Flq65Qv5A

Merk
2010-06-09, 10:54 PM
Hmm...

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/6868/luffy.gif (http://img816.imageshack.us/i/luffy.gif/)

Coidzor
2010-06-10, 12:47 AM
New idea: a grappler that shoots enemies from bows. Somehow.

That's just cheezy enough to be brilliant.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-10, 12:52 AM
That's just cheezy enough to be brilliant.Fire catgirls from catapults?

Lord Nikodemus
2010-06-17, 04:03 PM
@Lyco--lawl.

@Merk--Awesome little clip. I do like that idea, except I won't be stretchy. Just ki force smashing.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-17, 06:13 PM
@Lyco--lawl.

@Merk--Awesome little clip. I do like that idea, except I won't be stretchy. Just ki force smashing.Better yet, fire them while they're on fire.