PDA

View Full Version : Character Discussion for Zore's high-level game

Cogidubnus
2010-06-07, 12:16 PM
Just thought I'd start a thread for people to discuss their ideas (read: wax lyrical) about the characters they've designed for this campaign, cos I've seen some interesting ideas being batted around and thought it might be quite fun

(Also, I'm a tad enthusiastic about my character :smallwink:)

goken04
2010-06-07, 12:51 PM
My character maxes out at eight attacks in a round. With pounce. And Leap Attack/Shock Trooper. I haven't crunched the numbers exactly, but it's well over 300 damage in a single round. And if they survive, they have to make a save or fall prone (i.e. storm of flying strikes). Plus he has all his nifty WB bennies to boot.

Basically just point Aheawan in a direction and he'll destroy whatever's in the way.

Cogidubnus
2010-06-07, 12:52 PM
That is...fairly impressive XD

Niezck
2010-06-07, 12:59 PM
You'd work very well in conjunction with my truenamer, goken. I basically do all kinda of fun utility whatists until they're low enough hp to go under my absolute limit. Then the fun stuff starts ...

Like, for example, phrase of bombardment. Assuming I keep my truespeak checks below 47 (I have +37 mod, so ...) I can do 20 damage per round, for 5 rounds, with a 1/6 chance of it being 30 damage for that round. Oh and there's no save. :smallbiggrin:

Or just ... half their hp & move them somewhere.

But meh, mechanics aren't the main part of this guy - or I'd have gone wizard. He can pretty much speak every language you can think of (or atleast, common ones & ancient ones) and can use some pretty funky, flavour-ful effects in terms of his speech.

Either he uses a truespeak effect and does something interesting, or he uses dark speech and does something interesting, or he uses the words of creation and does something interesting. Either way, lots of interesting language stuffz :smallbiggrin:

Cogidubnus
2010-06-07, 01:06 PM
My character doesn't dish out damage as fast as a brawler, but he makes up for it by being a skillmonkey and having plenty of psionics, both buffs and utility. And he can throw off 6 attacks a round, has pounce in two forms, and some fairly cool assassin tricks. My favourite's probably his 40ft Solid Fog that blinds everyone but himself and his shadowy clone. Even True Seeing and Blindsense only work for 5ft in it. I was quite impressed that I got his AC up to 31 so long as he maintains his focus. Not bad for a guy in no armour!

Eloel
2010-06-07, 01:21 PM
You'd work very well in conjunction with my truenamer, goken. I basically do all kinda of fun utility whatists until they're low enough hp to go under my absolute limit. Then the fun stuff starts ...

Like, for example, phrase of bombardment. Assuming I keep my truespeak checks below 47 (I have +37 mod, so ...) I can do 20 damage per round, for 5 rounds, with a 1/6 chance of it being 30 damage for that round. Oh and there's no save. :smallbiggrin:

Or just ... half their hp & move them somewhere.

But meh, mechanics aren't the main part of this guy - or I'd have gone wizard. He can pretty much speak every language you can think of (or atleast, common ones & ancient ones) and can use some pretty funky, flavour-ful effects in terms of his speech.

Either he uses a truespeak effect and does something interesting, or he uses dark speech and does something interesting, or he uses the words of creation and does something interesting. Either way, lots of interesting language stuffz :smallbiggrin:

Needs "Power Word" spells.

goken04
2010-06-07, 02:18 PM
I was quite impressed that I got his AC up to 31 so long as he maintains his focus. Not bad for a guy in no armour!

Haha! My AC is a joke, even if I do wear mithral full-plate.

Killerloop
2010-06-07, 02:56 PM
My cleric is a malconvoker summoning couple of people from the very abyss :)

Being an high level cleric and a divine metageek he can dish out some serious spells each turn.

Cogidubnus
2010-06-07, 03:03 PM
Were you also the one promising us Greater Magic Weapon if I provided the rod of chain spell? Cos that would make a darn sight of difference XD. Don't suppose we might manage a similar thing with Magic Vestment?

Ed: @Goken. If the Assassin is the best one for taking fire it will be embarassing :smalltongue:

Killerloop
2010-06-07, 03:27 PM
Sure, I'm good at buffing. And throwing quickened twinned energy drains.

Cogidubnus
2010-06-07, 03:32 PM
Sure, I'm good at buffing. And throwing quickened twinned energy drains.

Better off using twin spell, split ray, enervation. 8th level spell and it's 4d4 Negative Levels. Empower it for even more fun XD. And in that case I will swap the +4 enhancement on my armour for a +1, an ability and maybe something else on my claws.

Killerloop
2010-06-07, 03:50 PM
Better off using twin spell, split ray, enervation. 8th level spell and it's 4d4 Negative Levels.

4 Ranged touch attacks vs 2, and it is a 4th level spell... metamagic doesn't increase DC :)

Cogidubnus
2010-06-07, 03:53 PM
You're a cleric, you have 3/4 BAB. Ranged touch attacks ought to be a breeze. Also, Enervation has no DC. Energy Drain's only real benefit over twinned eneravation (3 slots lower) is it can be permanent, and even if you let them get away, I'll hunt them down and kill them before 24 hours have passed :smalltongue:

However, your buffing generoisity has allowed me to add a greater crystal of lifekeeping to ward off those horrible death affects, the styptic property because there are so many things it blocks (all those special attacks that do CON damage but rely on bleeding, for a start) and the Maiming property to one of my claws, which is fairly neat when you get crits on a 17+.

Eldariel
2010-06-07, 03:53 PM
4 Ranged touch attacks vs 2, and it is a 4th level spell... metamagic doesn't increase DC :)

Which is why Enervation has no save :smallwink:

goken04
2010-06-07, 04:50 PM
Ed: @Goken. If the Assassin is the best one for taking fire it will be embarassing :smalltongue:

Oh, I can take GOBS of fire. It's not taking it that I would have trouble with.

Cogidubnus
2010-06-07, 04:59 PM
Oh, I can take GOBS of fire. It's not taking it that I would have trouble with.

Point. In any case, someone to flank with is useful, and as I can move as a swift action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, I can flank quite well XD

Milskidasith
2010-06-07, 05:00 PM
Shouldn't this be in the OoC section? Or, in fact, in the recruitment thread for the game?

Ernir
2010-06-07, 06:35 PM
I am working on an Ardent 2/Incarnate 3/Soul Manifester 10. My first Ardent, which means I'm having one crappy time picking my mantles. :smallannoyed:

I'm this || close to switching over to Psion, but that means another lost meldshaping level and being a level behind on powers known. Bah.

Is there any party role we've been missing so far? The only mantle I'm married to is Time.

Tavar
2010-06-07, 09:44 PM
This does seem like it would fit better in the actual recruitment thread.

Cogidubnus
2010-06-08, 03:53 AM
This does seem like it would fit better in the actual recruitment thread.

You have no idea how much I deliberated over this XD. I decided the conversation would more smoothly and not interrupt the recruitment questions if it had its own thread. Considered putting it in ooc too, but wasn't sure about that either. Decided it wouldn't be too much of a bother in 'general roleplaying discussions'.

Killerloop
2010-06-08, 04:37 AM
My party role can be easily described as:

Buffer/Debuffer/Summoner/Healer/RaiseFromTheDead-er and generally plain HOLY.

easy, uh?

Cogidubnus
2010-06-08, 04:43 AM
I think mine's probably easier, at it's basics. Sneaky/stabbity. Most everything else is designed to make me better at being sneaky or stabby. Though Mind Probe is a bit of a departure from that.

goken04
2010-06-09, 03:46 PM
"Aheawan SMASH" describes my party role just fine.

Runestar
2010-06-09, 06:16 PM
I am more interested in seeing what kind of monsters the DM plans on using that can actually stand up to this sort of abuse and still pose a threat of some sort. :smallamused:

sofawall
2010-06-09, 06:55 PM
Considered putting it in ooc too, but wasn't sure about that either.

Well, considering that OOC was the section made for this exact sort of thing, I'm not sure what made you turn away.

Roland St. Jude
2010-06-09, 10:20 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Yeah, just do this in the OOC thread for the game where presumably people are interested and have something to add. This is not a general discussion topic.