PDA

View Full Version : Which level would this spell be?

Cicciograna
2010-06-07, 12:46 PM
As per the title.

Find lock
Divination

Level: ? Sor/Wiz
Components: V, S, F
Casting action: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Touched key
Duration: 2 hours/level
Saving throw: Will negates (object)
Spell resistance: Yes (object)

When casting this spell on a key, the caster learns the direction and distance of the lock or keyhole it opens, provided it is on the same plane as the caster.

If such lock is moved (as could be the case for a chest) the caster can reassess its location by grasping the key and concentrating (a free action). If the lock is brought in an antimagic field, a dead magic zone or onto another plane, the caster cannot reassess its location.

If the key opens more than one lock or keyhole, the spells gives the location of the closest of such locks.

If the key doesn't open any lock (such as for a fake key) or the lock it could open doesn't exist anymore, the caster receives no input.

Focus: the key whose lock is to be found.

Reynard
2010-06-07, 12:50 PM
In my opinion, that's about a first level spell, maybe second at a pretty big stretch. I'm not sure if the lack of need to make any sort of check is enough to bump it up, but the spell isn't broken by any means.

arguskos
2010-06-07, 12:55 PM
1. There's a Homebrew section of the forums, where this might be better suited.

2. Frankly, it looks fine. Probably, a level 1 or 2 effect. I'd personally put it at 2, since you can you things like "lol, I found the badguy's bathroom" or something, which strikes me as silly.

PersonMan
2010-06-07, 01:00 PM
...But why would the Big Bad leave his/her bathroom key where the PCs could find it?

Wolf Warhead
2010-06-07, 01:05 PM
...But why would the Big Bad leave his/her bathroom key where the PCs could find it?

Because he trapped it, obviously. There's a gelatinous cube hidden in the toilet.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-07, 01:09 PM

Maybe he had a big bad hole in his big bad pants pocket haha

PersonMan
2010-06-07, 01:10 PM
Maybe he had a big bad hole in his big bad pants pocket haha

But why even bring that with out out? Do you bring your bathroom key to work?

arguskos
2010-06-07, 01:10 PM
Random example. Kill a dude, take his keys, cast this spell, find where he keeps his house/chests/everything those keys go to. It's almost Discern Location, but with an annoying Focus. I could see a case for this being higher level, but given how narrow it is (have to have the keys), it's probably level 2.

Radar
2010-06-07, 01:16 PM
But why even bring that with out out? Do you bring your bathroom key to work?
A key to your personel-only bathroom at work? I'm sure every BBEG has to have one of theese just for himself at his Evil Lair of Doom.

jiriku
2010-06-07, 01:18 PM
I'd say level 2. The narrow utility of the spell suggests level 1, but the unlimited range, long duration, and ability to continually reassess the location as a free action bumps it up to 2.

QuantumSteve
2010-06-07, 02:00 PM
Level 1 Divinations are all very local. Your first long range Div is Locate Object at level 2 which is quite similar to this spell, but much shorter range and duration. This spell is more limited (can only find locks) but at the same time more useful (you don't need to have seen the lock, only the key). The extreme range on this spell, though is not seen until high level divinations. 3rd is probably too high for such a limited spell, but that range makes me uncomfortable. So, I guess, 2nd level.

Cicciograna
2010-06-07, 02:08 PM
Okay, the answers I got confirmed my initial assessment as a strong 1st level spell or average 2nd level: I think I'll place it among the 2nds. Thanks to you all.

Telonius
2010-06-07, 02:17 PM
I'd probably call it Sorc/Wiz 5. This sounds pretty high, but consider the spell's effects. This is basically "Locate Object" with unlimited range, adding in sense of how far away it is, and a focus item requirement. So it's definitely higher than level 2. At the same time, it's not as powerful as Find the Path or Discern Location, since it only works for a specific class of item, so it's lower than Bard 6 or Wizard 8. I'd probably peg it at about Wizard5, since Locate Creature is Wizard4 and has a distance requirement (thus slightly less powerful).

I'd also specify in the description that it can only be used on nonmagical, inert items. Otherwise....

"So this kid is supposed to be the key to the evil ceremony, right? Hey, kid! C'mere. You too, wizard. Let's totally skip the adventure to get a direct path to the cultists' lair!"

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-06-07, 03:11 PM
Object Reading (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/psionicPowersGtoP.html#object-reading) is a 2nd level psionic power, and it's sort of more powerful than this proposed spell.

Add into the spell description that it can be thwarted by the usual anti-scrying measures, and call it 1st.

Telonius
2010-06-07, 03:18 PM
As opposed to Locate Creature, which can be disrupted by something as simple as running water? Not totally disagreeing with you - this may be a case of Locate Creature being inappropriately gauged.

Another_Poet
2010-06-07, 03:19 PM
I would've said 1st, but more importantly, I just wanted to make a Legend of Zelda d20 joke. And now I find that I have none. :smallfrown:

Cicciograna
2010-06-07, 03:35 PM
So the final version would be this:

Find lock
Divination

Level: 2 Sor/Wiz
Components: V, S, F
Casting action: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Touched key
Duration: 2 hours/level
Saving throw: Will negates (object)
Spell resistance: Yes (object)

When casting this spell on an inanimated, inert key, the caster learns the direction and distance of the lock or keyhole it opens, provided it is on the same plane as the caster.

If such lock is moved (as could be the case for a chest) the caster can reassess its location by grasping the key and concentrating (a free action). If the lock is brought in an antimagic field, a dead magic zone or onto another plane, the caster cannot reassess its location.

If the key opens more than one lock or keyhole, the spells gives the location of the closest of such locks.

If the key doesn't open any lock (such as for a fake key) or the lock it could open doesn't exist anymore, the caster receives no input.

The spell cannot pierce magical attempts to impede or thwart divinations, unless caster level is higher than that of the spellcaster that laid the protections from the divinations.

Focus: the key whose lock is to be found.