PDA

View Full Version : 'Ranger' build... help?

the humanity
2010-06-07, 12:59 PM
if anyone has ever been to a national park, you quickly learn that real rangers have no divine spells, animal companions, or favored enemies. what they do instead is somehow appear right next to you when you litter, know everything about the park and it's animals, and be really good at relocating bears and mountain lions and the like.

I thought to make a build based on this, to use at some point in the distant future. what it needs is a dimension door ability (because how else are you going to relocate a beholder who can just disintegrate your armored car?), knowledge boosters, and some sneakiness.

how can I make this guy better, without losing all the delicious Yosemite flavor?

Scout 5/Fighter 2/Jaunter 4/Horizon Walker 9

Scout-Track
Scout
Scout-Dodge
Fighter (Mobility)
Scout (Spring Attack)- Knowledge Devotion
Fighter (Improved Toughness)
Jaunter
Jaunter
Juanter- Improved Initiative
Juanter
Scout
Horizon Walker (underground)- Quicken Spellike Ability (dimension door)
Horizon Walker (forest)
Horizon Walker (marsh)
Horizon Walker (plains)- Iron Will
Horizon Walker (hills)
Horizon Walker (shifting)
Horizon Walker (cold)- Open Minded
Horizon Walker (fiery)
Horizon Walker (cavernous)

BAB+17 F12 R11 W6
Most important>>least important DEX STR INT CON WIS CHA

Combat: Dimension door everyone up to foe, then start swinging for moderate damage. best in party with a few really excellent meatshields. if fight starts heading the wrong way, dimension door out of there with everyone nearby.

Person_Man
2010-06-07, 02:21 PM
You have a jumble of weak classes and PrC. Instead consider:

Almost any full caster can pull it off with the right spells. Psychic Warrior and Psion can also do it.

Totemist can Dimension Door at will at 2nd level with the Blink Shirt soulmeld. Also has Wild Empathy and monster themed abilities.

Binder can bind Dantalion to gain +8 to all knowledge checks and the ability to essentially Dimension Door at Will once every five rounds. You can also bind Balam to reroll anything once every 5 rounds. Other vestiges boost specific Knowledge checks even further.

If you're wedded to Scout for some reason, I suggest pure Scout or Ranger/Scout with the Swift Hunter feat. Buy a Cloak of Mysterious Emergence (Dragon Magic pg 93) and/or Ankelts of Translocation (MIC) for Dimension Door, and custom magic items to boost Knowledge checks as needed.

Sliver
2010-06-07, 02:30 PM
I really kinda thought of Cloistered Cleric with the travel devotion feat as a solid base for such a build...

gallagher
2010-06-07, 02:32 PM
Rangers have favored enemy: litterbugs

the humanity
2010-06-07, 03:31 PM
is there any way to do it without having any casting? the upcoming campaign is going to be magic free... spellike abilities allowed, invoking counting as spells. I'll probably play a watered down jack b quick fighter, but this would be more unique.

swift hunter build I suppose could do it, the group however is pretty low optimization however, feats like blind-fight and weapon focus are standards in most melee builds, power attack is only that cleave prereq, and the wizards usually favor evocation, when they happen- so this build will undoubtedly not be too far behind I think, as long as I optimize.

Allowed books if I do this:
All Completes
PHII
Core
Demonweb Pits

and no spellcasting.

gallagher
2010-06-07, 08:17 PM
well, if you want to be a guy at home with nature, be a barbarian who is defending nature from the wreckage of civilization. or, just take a few levels of barbarian, preferably spirit lion totem, and then take ranger levels for an animal companion. see if you can sub out your spellcasting for an animal cmopanion with a druids progression (aka, ask your DM).

you will have pounce, then go TWF so you can full attack with them (full attacking is what makes that tree worth anything) and take feats like two weapon attack of opportunity and two weapon rend.

also, get a pair of sunblades. or a short sword and a whip

Harperfan7
2010-06-07, 08:28 PM
What's a Jaunter?

Eldariel
2010-06-07, 08:28 PM
What's a Jaunter?

Teleportation-based non-caster class in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits.

Thurbane
2010-06-07, 09:35 PM
Rangers can get some semi-decent ACFs for trading away animal companions. Also, there are two variant Rangers that trade away casting for bonus feats (CW & CC). The CC version is the better of the two.

the humanity
2010-06-08, 09:59 AM
^I've seen those. I might ask about it.

well, if you want to be a guy at home with nature, be a barbarian who is defending nature from the wreckage of civilization. or, just take a few levels of barbarian, preferably spirit lion totem, and then take ranger levels for an animal companion. see if you can sub out your spellcasting for an animal cmopanion with a druids progression (aka, ask your DM).

you will have pounce, then go TWF so you can full attack with them (full attacking is what makes that tree worth anything) and take feats like two weapon attack of opportunity and two weapon rend.

also, get a pair of sunblades. or a short sword and a whip

this also could work.

any way to reliably throw in the horizon walker? my DM is giving me pretty free reign with making various terrains, and I think some of the possible tricks could be really great if I stick it through the first 5 levels.