PDA

View Full Version : Trollbuffing, how to resist fire/acid

Escheton
2010-06-07, 02:09 PM
Recent threads and the fact I will probably be building a trollblooded char have got me thinking of ways to get resistance/immunity to these energytypes.
Preferably without spells as these can (somewhat) easyly be countered.
Though having them in the list would still be good.
Also with minimal levels and feats needed

Dragon shaman1-8: Red-, Brass-, Gold Dragon(fire). Copper-, Black-, Green dragon(acid) 5/aurabonus
Dragon shaman9: immune to totumdragon energy
Binder1: Aym, 10 fire resist.
Binder2: resist fire or acid 5
Swordsage1: Flame's Blessing (stance) fire resist relative to tumbleranks as follows: 4-8 ranks: 5 resist, 9-13 ranks: 10 resist, 14-18 ranks: 20 resist, 19+: immunity
Incarnate/soulborn: Flame Cincture, resistance to fire 10 +5/incarnum invested.
Totemist: Phoenix Belt, resistance to fire 5/incarnum invested
Totemist 9: Kruthik Claws bound to shoulder chakra, resistance to acid 10 +5/incarnum invested

Stumped from there, anyone know more?
Psionic ways would be awesome.

Boci
2010-06-07, 02:12 PM
Fire subtype. I think the PrC void diciple (from lords of madness?) gives acid immunity at level 8 or something.

I'm guessing you're against templates with LA?

jiriku
2010-06-07, 02:15 PM
*Ahem* grafting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587)*ahem*.

Obvious spell choices:
resist energy
protection from energy
fire shield
energy immunity
contingent energy resistance
Energetic healing is an obscure spell in the Book of Exalted Deeds. It's functions like protection from energy with a higher maximum absorption level, with the additional benefit that it actually heals you for 10% of the damage you would have taken.

Escheton
2010-06-07, 02:21 PM
Templates with LA are fine, just not too much that it cant be easyly put on one side of a gestalt or bought off.

Where in the Ikea thread sould I be looking?

jiriku
2010-06-07, 02:23 PM
The half-golem template. It's the EXTREME MAKEOVER version of troll-buffing, but I don't know the boundaries of what you'd consider for your concept, so I threw it out there. Also, the section on gear that the emerald legion is equipped with might give you ideas for items that will cover your vulnerabilities.

Ormagoden
2010-06-07, 02:25 PM
Isn't the crystalline troll only vulnerable to sonic damage?
Add an extended silence and that's a happy troll!

Alleine
2010-06-07, 03:32 PM
Well, if you don't mind changing race, be a fire gnome. Its in the monster section of the Planar handbook, gets immunity to fire, LA +1. Then all you have to do is get immunity to acid.

Beorn080
2010-06-07, 03:37 PM
Well, I recall this thread here.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587

The only "problem" is that you end up being controlled by a trio of Mind Flayers, but the benefits are effective immortality.

Escheton
2010-06-07, 03:46 PM
It's been mentioned before. And it is certainly a good way of being tougher then an adamantine wall.

The cr 26 doesnt really spell playable character though.
The specific feat that grants regeneration is regional human only. And for other ways such as the trollform spell base races as fire gnome wont help much. Otherwise good point.

Getting a decent fireresist seems easy, 1 lvl dip in binder or incarnate gets you 10 to 15.
The acid is the tough one.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-06-07, 03:48 PM
Beware Searing Spell.

Alleine
2010-06-07, 03:58 PM
If you're allowed to use Savage Species there's a ritual in the Becoming a Monster section that allows you to become associated with an element, giving you immunity to the associated energy type. If you're willing to shell out 36,000 gold and 1440 xp, you can get acid immunity. Unfortunately it also gives you a +1 level adjustment. You'll also take double damage from electricity. Double non-lethal, but still something to watch out for.

Escheton
2010-06-07, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately this specific build will be taking a vow of poverty as the world largest dungeon does not really drop that much loot.
Otherwise, great for mid to high lvl.

Searing spell can fortunately be disabled by a 2nd lvl psion or psiwar power that simply steals the feat.

Hawriel
2010-06-07, 04:21 PM
I slapped a half dragon (red) templat on a troll. My players never did kill that thing after a hand full of encounters. Some day they will meet him again.

Escheton
2010-06-07, 04:25 PM
They failed their knowledge checks and never bothered to ask around/research trolls and ways to fight them?

demidracolich
2010-06-07, 04:27 PM
you know you can technically stack half dragon templates right? My friend had an epic ghost warlock with 9 half red dragon half black dragon cohort/followers.