PDA

View Full Version : Ooze pcs? [3.5]

Froogleyboy
2010-06-07, 04:14 PM
Okay, I've been inspired! I really want to play an ooze character. But the question arises, how do I achieve this? I'm already working on an ooze race homebrew , but what about in games where homebrew isn't allowed? I'm not talking about making them fiendish to give them a 3 in Int, I'm talking about actual ways to play an ooze. I know of thrall of jubilex, but I'm not a big fan of BOVD

Starbuck_II
2010-06-07, 04:27 PM
Okay, I've been inspired! I really want to play an ooze character. But the question arises, how do I achieve this? I'm already working on an ooze race homebrew , but what about in games where homebrew isn't allowed? I'm not talking about making them fiendish to give them a 3 in Int, I'm talking about actual ways to play an ooze. I know of thrall of jubilex, but I'm not a big fan of BOVD

Savage Species has the Jello Template pg 116 (they called it Gelantinous but we know they mean Jello). It has no LA.
But it gives you Int 1 so you'd need Fiendish to play it.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-07, 04:36 PM
Savage Species has the Jello Template pg 116 (they called it Gelantinous but we know they mean Jello). It has no LA.
But it gives you Int 1 so you'd need Fiendish to play it.

See, there's the thing, I don't want all the cheesiness of adding templates just to get good crunchy stuff, when it makes no sense fluff wise. Like, for example, why would the danged thing be fiendish?

jiriku
2010-06-07, 04:55 PM
It's a few years old, but see if you can find Thalantor's Black Pudding Paladin, if it's still out there on the interweb.

Starscream
2010-06-07, 05:16 PM
Ever seen this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Oozebound_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29) PrC? One of my favorite homebrews ever.

I used it for a cleric of Jubilex villain in a campaign. He wasn't the main bad guy, more of a cowardly sidekick who worshiped the Lord of Slime because he was obsessed with survival, and saw oozes (being pretty much the simplest lifeform imaginable) as being the greatest survivors. He basically wanted to be one to achieve immortality. Turned out pretty cool.

Pretty good mechanically, as well. Nice class features, and advances spellcasting at every level but the final one, where you can choose to become an actual ooze with all the immunities thereof instead. Decent trade-off.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-07, 05:27 PM
Ever seen this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Oozebound_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29) PrC? One of my favorite homebrews ever.

I used it for a cleric of Jubilex villain in a campaign. He wasn't the main bad guy, more of a cowardly sidekick who worshiped the Lord of Slime because he was obsessed with survival, and saw oozes (being pretty much the simplest lifeform imaginable) as being the greatest survivors. He basically wanted to be one to achieve immortality. Turned out pretty cool.

Pretty good mechanically, as well. Nice class features, and advances spellcasting at every level but the final one, where you can choose to become an actual ooze with all the immunities thereof instead. Decent trade-off.
Huh, that's actually pretty awesome. I'll ask my DM if he'll allow it

It's a few years old, but see if you can find Thalantor's Black Pudding Paladin, if it's still out there on the interweb.

I googled it yet I couldn't find it anywhere

Darrin
2010-06-07, 09:58 PM
In Dragon #304, there's an awaken ooze spell, 8th level Sor/Wiz, which could lead to some interesting possibilities.

There's also the Sentry Ooze template in Dungeonscape. This increases Int +2, so for most oozes this would bring it up to animal intelligence and make it trainable. From there you can add Celestial or Fiendish (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a), but I actually prefer the Pseudonatural template from Complete Arcane/Lords of Madness, since it doesn't specify a Level Adjustment (assume LA +0? Non-epic pseudonatural doesn't actually give you all that much). This brings Int up to 3, which makes it playable as a character (uh... kinda?). You can add Phrenic on top of that for Int +2.

1) Sentry Ooze template (Dungeonscape): Dex +6, Int +2, Wis +10, Cha +10.
2) Pseudonatural template (CArc): Int = 3.
3) Phrenic template (XPH): Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4.

Total Ability Score adjustments: Dex +6, Int = 5, Wis +12, Cha +14.

Zaq
2010-06-07, 10:24 PM
Half-dragon. Your mommy daddy mommy daddy mommy ooze parent was some heartless dwagon's sexual plaything, and somehow you appeared. Any living, corporeal creature indeed. If you can swing a half-dragon Living Spell, so much the better.

Technically, you have the Dwagon type instead of the Ooze type, but you're still a lightning-breathing Gelatinous Cube.

Sindri
2010-06-07, 10:42 PM
In 3.0 Masters of the Wild there's the Oozemaster PrC. See if you can get it houserule'd in.

It looks like this is what that homebrew is based on, but the original is a lot better written and more fun to play, if slightly less in terms of raw power.