PDA

View Full Version : Swiftblade Archer?

alexthemad
2010-06-07, 05:11 PM
Has anyone seen an archer build while also using the Swiftblade PrC? I envision a person running around, across water, up the walls, never in a spot long enough to really be seen, all the while loosing a deadly barrage of arrows and spells as needed.

I used the search menu, but if anything was in the playground I overlooked it. I was just thinking about how to take advantage of the Swiftblade's mobility and an archer came to mind. Are there already decent builds out there to do what I have in mind?

herrhauptmann
2010-06-07, 06:22 PM
I've never really played an optimized archer, so all I can get you is the following handbooks
Ultimate Archer (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866186/The_Ultimate_Archer_Handbook)
I know there's a Arcane Archer handbook on GitP, but having trouble finding it.

Prodan
2010-06-07, 06:25 PM
Has anyone seen an archer build while also using the Swiftblade PrC? I envision a person running around, across water, up the walls, never in a spot long enough to really be seen, all the while loosing a deadly barrage of arrows and spells as needed.

I used the search menu, but if anything was in the playground I overlooked it. I was just thinking about how to take advantage of the Swiftblade's mobility and an archer came to mind. Are there already decent builds out there to do what I have in mind?

We'll probably want to start off with Scout for this, take a few levels of Wizard, then swiftly gish it up.

arguskos
2010-06-07, 06:28 PM
I'm sad, Swiftblade specifies arcane casting increases, so you can't cheat in thanks to Archivist. This makes me :smallfrown:. Still, the mental image is hilarious.

Mongoose87
2010-06-07, 06:47 PM
We'll probably want to start off with Scout for this, take a few levels of Wizard, then swiftly gish it up.

Why bother with Scout? Wizard x/Swiftblade y/Wizard (20 - [x+y]) is great.

Prodan
2010-06-07, 06:53 PM
Alright, so how do we do the barrage of arrows thing?

Greenish
2010-06-07, 06:58 PM
Alright, so how do we do the barrage of arrows thing?Multishot twice a round.

Prodan
2010-06-07, 07:01 PM
Damage at...?

Eldariel
2010-06-07, 07:02 PM
In Gestalt, it works much better, but Manyshot is the way to go anyways. Too bad it has a very harsh range limitation. Alternatively, use the standard for spell (boost or otherwise) and Full-Round for attacks. Swiftblade isn't that amazing with archery though, which mostly owes to Manyshot being limited.

herrhauptmann
2010-06-07, 07:10 PM
Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)
Swiftblade Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871410/The_Swiftblade_Handbook)
How about 5 levels of scout for medium BAB and decent skills. Skirmish also synergizes a little with teh bonus damage a swiftblade gets.
1-3 levels in trapspring PrC (You get haste as a 1st level spell)
You'll want 9 levels of swiftblade, so you can get a full round action and a move action.
Ranger for free feats? Sorry, it's not very optimized, but it might be a starting point.
One problem is that trapspringer is a low level PrC, so your DM might not grant you extra 'Caster Levels'

Greenish
2010-06-07, 07:12 PM
Damage at...?You asked for barrage of arrows! :smallbiggrin:

Be more specific the next time. :smallwink:

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-07, 07:34 PM
For an archery based Swiftblade, I'd just go Wizard 6/Swiftblade 9/Abjurant Champion 5, grabbing Improved Multishot to get the bonus damage to everything. You could knock off a level or two of Abjurant Champion to also net yourself the glory that is Hunter's Eye from Unseen Seer.

Eldariel
2010-06-07, 07:56 PM
For an archery based Swiftblade, I'd just go Wizard 6/Swiftblade 9/Abjurant Champion 5, grabbing Improved Multishot to get the bonus damage to everything. You could knock off a level or two of Abjurant Champion to also net yourself the glory that is Hunter's Eye from Unseen Seer.

Greater Manyshot, you mean? Actually, I suggest against that. Bonus damage mostly involves stuff like Sneak Attack, Skirmish and so on which you don't have. Manyshot, on the other hand? Well, you still get any Smiting Spells, weapon enhancement, all arrow abilities, stat and so on. Kicker? It's one attack roll. Guess which Wizard-spell really enhances a single attack roll? That's right, True Strike.

True Strike + Manyshot means you'll have +12 to hit for all 4 of the arrows, and it's trivial to use your swift action to cast True Strike. Arguably you could even use Quickened Twinned True Strike to use it on both standard actions you can take, and you can definitely use Quickened Repeating True Strike to do it once and again on the next turn without an action. If you have Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a), you could even Power Shot for a relevant amount and it should apply to each arrow as Manyshot only restricts Precision damage.

herrhauptmann
2010-06-07, 08:13 PM
Greater Manyshot, you mean? Actually, I suggest against that. Bonus damage mostly involves stuff like Sneak Attack, Skirmish and so on which you don't have. Manyshot, on the other hand? Well, you still get any Smiting Spells, weapon enhancement, all arrow abilities, stat and so on. Kicker? It's one attack roll. Guess which Wizard-spell really enhances a single attack roll? That's right, True Strike.

True Strike + Manyshot means you'll have +12 to hit for all 4 of the arrows, and it's trivial to use your swift action to cast True Strike. Arguably you could even use Quickened Twinned True Strike to use it on both standard actions you can take, and you can definitely use Quickened Repeating True Strike to do it once and again on the next turn without an action. If you have Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a), you could even Power Shot for a relevant amount and it should apply to each arrow as Manyshot only restricts Precision damage.

Break your character and make the DM cry: Custom wondrous item of true strike. Even if he doubles or triples the price, it'll be worth it I think.
Champions of Ruin also seems to have a good number of spells which make archery much deadlier. Like each arrow dealing 1d6 str damage...

Eldariel
2010-06-07, 08:22 PM
Break your character and make the DM cry: Custom wondrous item of true strike. Even if he doubles or triples the price, it'll be worth it I think.
Champions of Ruin also seems to have a good number of spells which make archery much deadlier. Like each arrow dealing 1d6 str damage...

Constant wondrous item of True Strike should cost about ~10 million or so; equivalent of a ~+13 weapon. Besides, custom wondrous items (not made by DM) are for people who don't bother making things work for real. They make me cry :smallfrown: I suggest against them. Yeah, I'm aware you aren't entirely serious.

Prodan
2010-06-07, 08:24 PM
Break your character and make the DM cry: Custom wondrous item of true strike.
There are better ways of breaking the game. Such as Polymorphing into an Arrow Demon.

alexthemad
2010-06-08, 06:22 AM

I was just looking at the Unseen Seer and I don't see anything about Hunter's Eye. Am I just missing something?

Greenish
2010-06-08, 06:29 AM
I was just looking at the Unseen Seer and I don't see anything about Hunter's Eye. Am I just missing something?Unseen Seers can pick Divination spells from other spell lists with their Expanded Knowledge. Hunter's Eye is a ranger spell, I seem to recall.

Grumman
2010-06-08, 06:47 AM
A while back I was trying to do something similar, putting Swiftblade 9, Arcane Archer 2 and Telflammar Shadowlord 4 into one build, and I thought the OP was going for something similar. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to bring it below 21 levels.

Or he could just set your character sheet on fire.

2010-06-08, 10:47 AM
That's a really interesting idea for a build. The only things tying the Swiftblade to melee are the two feats, Spring Attack and Bounding Assault (basically Improved Spring Attack), and the name of the class.

If you're after losing as few caster levels as possible, you might want to just go Elf Wizard 6/Swiftblade. (Of course, if you really don't want to lose caster levels, stay away from the Swiftblade class.) Adding a level of Scout or Ranger somewhere would allow you to access the Unseen Seer prestige class and get that one spell, but there are feats that give you extra spells. If Unseen Seers exist in the setting, then you don't necessarily have to play one to get access to Hunter's Eye in an arcane spellbook.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-08, 11:22 AM
There are better ways of breaking the game. Such as Polymorphing into an Arrow Demon.

It's easier to just be a Thri-Kreen and TWF greatbows.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-08, 11:25 AM

Meh I prefer quad-wielding crossbows, if we are going that rute.

Eldariel
2010-06-08, 12:30 PM

Naw, Arrow Demons don't require the feats to TWF, they get more attacks and have Close-Combat Shot as a bonus ability to boot. Just off the top of my head.

alexthemad
2010-06-09, 05:08 PM
That's a really interesting idea for a build. The only things tying the Swiftblade to melee are the two feats, Spring Attack and Bounding Assault (basically Improved Spring Attack), and the name of the class.

If you're after losing as few caster levels as possible, you might want to just go Elf Wizard 6/Swiftblade. (Of course, if you really don't want to lose caster levels, stay away from the Swiftblade class.) Adding a level of Scout or Ranger somewhere would allow you to access the Unseen Seer prestige class and get that one spell, but there are feats that give you extra spells. If Unseen Seers exist in the setting, then you don't necessarily have to play one to get access to Hunter's Eye in an arcane spellbook.

I'm not really worried about caster levels, more about the flavor. I just had this picture of a fast, ever-moving archer come to mind, and I began to wonder if the Swiftblade could make it happen. But I have never played an archer, and I havn't been playing terribly long so there are still many gaps in my knowledge.

Prodan
2010-06-09, 05:25 PM
I'm not really worried about caster levels, more about the flavor. I just had this picture of a fast, ever-moving archer come to mind, and I began to wonder if the Swiftblade could make it happen. But I have never played an archer, and I havn't been playing terribly long so there are still many gaps in my knowledge.

Swift Hunter sounds like it might fit your requirements.