PDA

View Full Version : How much memory do you think I need...?

Zovc
2010-06-07, 06:36 PM
How much memory do you think I need if I want to play a (recent) game and stream it? What if I wanted to record the stream and myself and possibly a few others at the same time?

Essentially, what I want to do is the same thing the freelance astronauts do, but instead of using a capture card to stream a game system's video output, I'd rather just use my computer as the source/hub of everything.

Beyond memory, do you think there should be a minimum target for my processor's specifications as well?

KuReshtin
2010-06-07, 06:41 PM
'No one is going to need more than 640kb of memory.':smallwink::smallbiggrin:

MCerberus
2010-06-07, 06:53 PM
What level of DDR does your system use?

lesser_minion
2010-06-07, 06:57 PM
'No one is going to need more than 640kb of memory.':smallwink::smallbiggrin:

I shouldn't be old enough to get that, but I am...

In any event, it does depend on what game it is, but I'm pretty 4 Gb will still handle quite a few games (I'm pretty sure the UE3 is 32-bit). So 8 Gb will almost certainly be enough as long as your OS is 64-bit.

You might want to make sure your graphic card is well up to scratch, if I've understood what you're doing correctly.

And yes, you may want to look at your processor clock speed, cache, number of cores, FSB, and the clock speeds for your memory and motherboard.

Also, make sure you have a decent amount of bandwidth.

Try to work out where the bottlenecks are. You can use 666 MHz memory with a 500 MHz motherboard, but you're paying extra for no benefit.

Zovc
2010-06-07, 07:02 PM

I'm speculating here, so 'currently' no level.

Probably 2 or 3.

Let's go ahead and assume my graphics card can handle what's being thrown at it no problem--it can run 'just the game' at 60fps easily.

valadil
2010-06-07, 08:10 PM
For today's games, 4-6 gb ought to be plenty. You'll have a hard time fitting more than 8 gb.

MCerberus
2010-06-07, 08:15 PM
I'd run a multi-core (duh) and put 1gig sticks in all the memory slots. This will give you 4=6gigs on most boards... if you have something INSANE you should leave a couple spots open. I gig sticks are often the most economical, but it makes future upgrades less effective due to plugging up more slots. Be sure to look at the refresh rates on the sticks.

I haven't been wronged by Corsair yet, but other people prefer other brands.

Xyk
2010-06-07, 08:37 PM

I play on hard. :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2010-06-07, 08:44 PM
In any event, it does depend on what game it is, but I'm pretty 4 Gb will still handle quite a few games (I'm pretty sure the UE3 is 32-bit). So 8 Gb will almost certainly be enough as long as your OS is 64-bit.

Be sure to check that you're running a 64-bit processor before you install more than 4 GB of RAM. Don't say "I think so..." because that isn't good enough. 32-bit systems can't use more than 4 GB of RAM, so you're wasting your money if you're packing more.

MCerberus
2010-06-07, 08:46 PM
I play on hard. :smallbiggrin:

If I may link to an appropriate MSPA scene (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002550)...

kusje
2010-06-07, 09:09 PM
Meh. You should just post whatever specifications your computer has, the games you want to play and the resolution you want to run them at. Someone will come along and tell you if they are good enough.

Generally speaking, 4GB of DDR2 ram is more than enough to play most games. Also, the bottleneck to playing games for most people is the graphics card and not the processor.

Zovc
2010-06-07, 09:44 PM
Meh. You should just post whatever specifications your computer has, the games you want to play and the resolution you want to run them at. Someone will come along and tell you if they are good enough.

Generally speaking, 4GB of DDR2 ram is more than enough to play most games. Also, the bottleneck to playing games for most people is the graphics card and not the processor.

The thing is, we're not talking about my computer. My computer would die if I tried this as-is, it only has 2gb of DDR3 ram, and it can't even use DDR3 ram.

4gb is generally enough to play most games, but I'd prefer more for my (rather niche) uses, and also for the occasional LAN so that my computer doesn't notice the difference between playing as a client of another computer's server or as the host of a listen server. I'd probably aim for at least 6gb with this machine, but I'm wondering if all the stuff I'm going to be doing while gaming warrants more.

I guess the fact that I like to leave browsers open with many tabs for a loooong time doesn't help, either.

Runestar
2010-06-08, 03:23 AM
2 gig pretty much suffices for me, since the limiting factor in my comp is its crappy graphics card (geforce 7600), and I am too cheapskate to spring $200 for a better one, much less invest in a new comp. :smalltongue:

lesser_minion
2010-06-08, 03:33 AM
Be sure to check that you're running a 64-bit processor before you install more than 4 GB of RAM. Don't say "I think so..." because that isn't good enough. 32-bit systems can't use more than 4 GB of RAM, so you're wasting your money if you're packing more.

I know. You also need to make sure that your operating system is 64-bit (otherwise your processor will run entirely in compatibility mode), and note that 32-bit programs may still ignore any RAM above 3.5 Gb.

I wasn't trying to say anything else.

Bear in mind, however, that it isn't unknown for the graphics card to reserve some of any excess memory if you're on a 32-bit OS.

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-09, 11:05 PM
I was wondering that too

Zovc
2010-06-10, 01:21 AM
I was wondering that too

It's also safe to assume I'll be using a 64-bit operating system.

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-10, 06:29 PM
You want to remember everything :smallsmile: